Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 08:17   #1
BHPian

Friend drove my Matiz with an overheating engine; now the FE has dropped!

Hi
I have a 2001 Matiz which was running flawlessly until a few days ago it started heating up within 5 mins of operation. I checked and the coolant was empty. It was traced to a leak in manifold washer and torn coolant pipe both of which were replaced.
However, during this time, once, the car was driven for about 50 odd km by my friend who was unaware of the coolant problem and as expected, it did overheat a lot with hint of smoke from engine. However, after it cooled down, everything seemed alright.

Post this, the car has been giving very poor fuel average of around 6 km / liter. For Rs 500 fuel, it goes only for 46-48 km.

I took the car to mechanic as the engine was missing revs and the problem was narrowed down to a shot spark plug (had some oil on it). He replaced the plug and also put in an adapter with it. I also got the injectors cleaned and all three seemed to spray properly.

As per mechanic, the problem seems to be with the gasket. As the car got overheated, he thinks that the gasket got spoiled and due to which the pick up and fuel efficiency will dip.

He wants me to leave the car with him for couple of days so that he lift half the engine up and change the gasket, valves etc. He is quoting Rs 4000 for the job.

Is this really the problem? I have checked the fuel consumption 2-3 times but every time it gives the same mileage.

If someone can please advice on any other probable causes of the problem, I'd very thankful.

Thanks
Old 1st March 2011, 09:43   #2
v&v
Senior - BHPian

re: Friend drove my Matiz with an overheating engine; now the FE has dropped!

Yes mechanic is right, since the car got overheated, need change the gasket. Also need to check for oil consumption , as it might also effect the rings / oil seal. Also do you get white/blue smoke on morning start or idling ?

Also do get a second opinion too.

Last edited by v&v : 1st March 2011 at 09:45.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:56   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Friend drove my Matiz with an overheating engine; now the FE has dropped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
I took the car to mechanic as the engine was missing revs and the problem was narrowed down to a shot spark plug (had some oil on it).
Your gasket is most definitely shot. Needs a change.

Also, this would be a good time to get an engine compression check done. How many kms on your Matiz? Remember, overheating is like a cancer for the engine. Your friend was extremely careless in driving the car for 50 odd kms on a smoking engine.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would also change the engine oil and coolant. Please check all hoses (for coolant) thoroughly for any damage.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

If the mech has put adapter on one of the spark plugs, then there is a chance that the oil is coming to the spark plug which only means that your Piston Rings are shot. As GTO said get compression check done and if need be change the rings as well while the half engine is open.

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2011, 08:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Also, this would be a good time to get an engine compression check done. How many kms on your Matiz? Remember, overheating is like a cancer for the engine. Your friend was extremely careless in driving the car for 50 odd kms on a smoking engine.
Hi Everyone, thanks a ton for your quick responses.

v&v : I haven't really checked for smoke, will do so today. The mechanic mentioned that the valves, rings etc will also be replaced when he lifts the head for gasket change.

GTO : I will go ahead with the gasket job Matiz has run for 90,000 KM.

hvkumar : I got the broken coolant hose and the manifold washer replaced last weekend.

MileCruncher : Piston rings shot? How complex is that in addition to changing the gasket? And how to I get the compression test done - what would it signify? Though my mechanic is an expert in servicing Matiz(s) but I doubt if stocks any advanced gadgetry that might be required for this job.

I intend to take give the car for service this Friday. BTW, the coolant level is retained now and the overheating problem is solved but I guess the damage has already been done. Time to unfriend!
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Do a complete check up of the engine as many have posted overheating is a real bad and as it was run in that condituion damages had occurred which is why sumptoms are vividly seen.
Check the compression of the other two cylinders where spark plugs are not getting fouled. It may be noted that gasket failure can allow oil into cylinders and charge into oil system. In which case you may not need a piston ring change.

Check the following also.
How is the engine oil condition? Is it foaming. Is oil getting into the coolant
Any how do a better work so that your engine would tick normally.

It is time that car manufacturers install over heat engine cut off protection system to prevent engine from overheating. Even overheat wrning lamps or alarms are not available in almost all cars.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd March 2011 at 09:56.
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Time to unfriend!
Right, and you need a better friend.

just kidding, nothing is worth a good friend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks