Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2011, 15:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Standards-based CAN/OBD communication in Etios ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Small piece of advise (please read your employment contract, especially the fine print ): information is money, and your employers may not like your high-spirited altruistic / philanthropic sharing of information. "Discretion is the better part of valour" and all that.

Perhaps you should try and understand the economics and why's of doing something or not in the automotive sector.

The cars in front wouldn't need it; the cars behind can't avoid experiencing the same. Altruistic objective, no doubt, especially when development funding is aplenty.

Even more relevant was the remote telemetry (telematics) objective that was set by some European manufacturers about a decade back: stream operational / service data back to a central location so that the car owner could be advised about optimizing service schedules. Didn't take off really because air bandwidth was prohibitively costly then.

Noble objective, but please search and read on TBHP - you are not the only one who has had that objective.
Appreciate your concern. Never mind, we have published patents so the idea and even the know how is in print already.

Thanks a ton for your advise. I shall surely use it in revising our product roadmap in addressing the remote telemetry areas, especially in ensuring that our ideas don't get trapped by failures in the past. Inputs from experts surely help in ensuring that the products under development get more refined and addresses the real expectations.

Also thanks for your encouragement and proud to be one among the teambhipans with like minded objective.
Old 19th November 2011, 23:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post

Friends, should you have any experience with seeing scanners working on Indian cars, please share.
Check out the thread on "Scangauge" in team-bhp. It lists the compatibility of various cars with OBDII protocols.

Scangauge II and Ultragauge are standalone scanners that you can plug into the OBDII port of the car and get a whole lot of information. Unfortunately, they need to be imported and are not available readily in India.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs
Incidentally, I'm involved in a company that specializes in Telemetrics where we work on CAN, OBD and similar technologies. In our experience, very few cars in India actually are compliant to OBD II and open CAN standards, most of them take this piece for granted. Either their ECU is not modern or they are crippled by proprietary communication protocol including the Marutis, Fiats and even Toyota (atleast Innova). Innova follows standard ISO communication, but crippled by proprietary pids.

As a regular test, I was scanning the ETIOS OBD aswell with ELM scanner. To my wildest surprise, the car ECU shared most of the information in a standard protocol CAN 11/ ISO 15765-4.

CAN-ID ECU#1
AUTO, ISO 15765-4 CAN 11/500

I was able to pull the following data in the first shot itself.

Absolute Throttle Position
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed
Calculated Vehicle Load
Intake Manifold Pressure
Fuel System 1 Status

The data report was almost instantaneous ~15 times a second (15 Hz).

I was glad that Toyota has not compromised on the technical intricacies of the car though they have cut costs elsewhere. Kudos Toyota for this. I plan to buy a OBD Bluetooth version also to pull the data to an Android device. Will keep my thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...interiors.html updated on the same.

Friends, should you have any experience with seeing scanners working on Indian cars, please share.
Hi wud this work for a tata safari is there a recommended unit that i can get which is not expensive
Old 29th December 2012, 14:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
As a regular test, I was scanning the ETIOS OBD aswell with ELM scanner. To my wildest surprise, the car ECU shared most of the information in a standard protocol CAN 11/ ISO 15765-4.
Thanks for this info.

1) Was it a diesel or Petrol on which you tested ?
2) What is the year and month of manufacture of car ? ( Because, I know that certain makes of Corolla are OBD2 compliant while others are not )

PS: I've already ordered ELM327 - http://www.ebay.in/itm/ELM327-OBDII-...item3f206fd80d

The seller called me and asked about my car. When I told Etios Diesel, he told me that on his 2006 Corolla it doesn't work. But, that he also saw the post on team-bhp that Etios Diesel is compliant with OBD2
Old 8th January 2013, 19:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to confirm that Etios Diesel is OBD2 compliant as well.
More details posted on Liva review thread
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 21:35   #21
BHPian

I did get an ELM327 OBD2 Scanner from EBAY for my Etios Diesel. It was supplied with the Torque app for android.

Since Etios comes with an extremely hi-fi instrument panel :-P I found this extremely useful. It gives me a variety of inputs, logs and tracking.

On the trial run with this device between Kerala and Bangalore I managed to clock 25kmpl. If it is true, I am very happy. I will try and upload some snaps and logs soon!

Cheers!
Mohanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 14:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanan View Post
I did get an ELM327 OBD2 Scanner from EBAY for my Etios Diesel. It was supplied with the Torque app for android.

Since Etios comes with an extremely hi-fi instrument panel :-P I found this extremely useful. It gives me a variety of inputs, logs and tracking.

On the trial run with this device between Kerala and Bangalore I managed to clock 25kmpl. If it is true, I am very happy. I will try and upload some snaps and logs soon!

Cheers!
Hi Mohanan, I too have an Etios Liva Diesel and bought an ELM 327 and also got the Torque Pro. However, I do not get any fuel related data like the DTE, Average consumption etc. All those gauges say No Data. I even bought another ELM 327 thinking it might be adaptor problem but to no avail. I also have a Accent Viva and face the same issue with it. Any pointers you can think of?
Old 12th August 2016, 07:59   #23
BHPian

Vinay, its been a while i used the OBD reader. Last used Jan 2015. I sold my etios because i had to relocate. I still have the OBD reader with me. Let me try it this weekend and give you the options i used.

Most Viewed