Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2006, 21:55   #1
BHPian

How to clean headlamps??

Hello people,
Well this may sound funny here but i am really confused about how to keep the clear lens headlamps on my dad's optra clean? I mean i just love the optra's diamond effect like clear headlamps but over a period of some time, there are tiny spots on it which are visible only when the headlamps are on. Any remedies as to how to keep it spotless clean? I have tried using carwash shampoo to clean the spots but to no avail. I know that the mods may think of this thread as useless but guys i really need help as i did not get any information on this topic when i tried to use the search function. Plz help
Old 10th January 2006, 22:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Alas, those spots are "gravel rash" , pit marks due to grit, tiny stones hitting the headlights. Only way around it i getting clear plastic covers fitted.

These covers are very popular in australia
Old 11th January 2006, 22:14   #3
BHPian

if the spots are from inside of sealed beam, then you cannot do much.
just remove the bulb holder etc. & throw some pressurised air to remove loose dirt if any.
donot try to open the sealed beam!
Old 11th January 2006, 22:48   #4
BHPian

nope, the spots are on the outside as i can feel it in my palm when i slowly brush my hand over the headlamp
Old 11th January 2006, 23:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
nope, the spots are on the outside as i can feel it in my palm when i slowly brush my hand over the headlamp
i am afraid if the spots are from outside & are not removed even after using shampoo and all, you cannot remove them easily. sorry for not being able to help you over this.
Old 12th January 2006, 13:10   #6
BHPian

Some of these links may be helpful:

Scratches can be buffed from glass if light enough
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...s8heresho.html

Cerium Oxide Glass Polish
http://www.deltakits.com/dki-catalog/co1.html

Glass Polishing:
http://yarchive.net/metal/glass_polishing.html
Old 12th January 2006, 13:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

if its is tar and insect hits, those can be removed using some diesel and thoruogh cleaning using a good car shampoo but if its stone chips nothing much can be done.
Old 20th August 2017, 17:05   #8
BHPian

Re: How to clean headlamps??

There are many ways the headlamp can become gloomy after a certain amount of time. According to the portion damaged, there is different ways to correct it and make the headlight nearly shiny as new.
1. If the headlamp outer glass has marks or spots in it or has a yellow layer on it,use a fine sand paper to scratch ii off and coat a couple of layers of Headlamp coating spray.

2. If it is the inside area, you will have to open up the headlamp assemble. For that, use a heating equipment and carefully remove the reflector. Then do the same steps as mentioned in the first method.

3.If it is the reflector that has damage, there is nothing much you can do other than try cleaning it. No product is out there that can have a coating similar to the chrome shade that you get on that reflector.

Note : Nothing gives a shiny effect like a new headlamp assembly. If you can afford it,you can go for it and you will never be regretting the decision. Even I have brought a new headlight assembly for my Karizma and I really loved the fresh look I get from it.

Last edited by JozfGT : 20th August 2017 at 17:06.

Most Viewed