Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2011, 10:34   #1
BHPian

Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard

Hi all,

I knew rust was cropping up - so this weekend took my tools and removed the front and the in between seats and the rugs/matting

There is considerable amount of rust in there you can look at the pictures

I need advice - on if I need to go thru the DIY method or get it done professionally and for both that primer paint need to be done, once the interior have been sorted out - I intend to get a rust proof coating at 3M for the under body

Here is what I have in mind for a diy,

1. Get a rust removal liquid ( need help on selecting one)
2. Remove the rust
3. Go over with recommended coats of primer
4. Go over with the recommended coats of paint
is there any thing else?? I need to spray on?

5. Upgrade to plastic mats.

I am planning to use the small pressurized spray cans - so any recs on that one could be great

Any ways I have to get the front mudguard tinkered at the garage.

If done in a garage, I need recommendations on the primer and paints to be used - I am sure every one uses duco??? but kindly suggest what are specials,

In the versa all sheet folds on the door panels - body structure are prone to paint loss and are getting exposed, any idea how to take care of these

this is a 2005 model versa dx

Thanks in Advance!

All need to know what is that grey color padding on the metal surface - do I paint over that or can I get that as spare - so that I can remove paint metal and then install that again?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard-20110312-12.40.37.jpg  

Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard-20110312-13.34.14.jpg  

Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard-20110312-14.36.05.jpg  

Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard-20110312-14.36.53.jpg  

Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard-20110312-14.37.00.jpg  

Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard-20110312-14.37.56.jpg  

Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard-20110312-12.40.20.jpg  

Last edited by Irfanulla : 13th March 2011 at 10:40.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard

My recommendations underlined,Sir.

Save the last two photos,the rust in the rest look "unperturbing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfanulla View Post
I intend to get a rust proof coating at 3M for the under body -

Irfan, for starters let me tell you that you'll part with this car in the next two years.So invest in Silver Hammertone or Bituminous Black paint - will cost you way less

Here is what I have in mind for a diy,

1. Get a rust removal liquid ( need help on selecting one) - you'll need to use emery to prepare the surface to bare metal - then apply primer
2. Remove the rust
3. Go over with recommended coats of primer
4. Go over with the recommended coats of paint
is there any thing else?? I need to spray on?

5. Upgrade to plastic mats.Why?you can put back the original carpet or get equivalent stuff(say black Heatlon EPE foam cut to size) OR get an original Eeco carpet.

I am planning to use the small pressurized spray cans - so any recs on that one could be great - Com-Paint Pearl Silver will do - costs approx 300 a can.Alternatively,you can use a similar shade of enamel paint from a hardware store

All need to know what is that grey color padding on the metal surface - do I paint over that or can I get that as spare - so that I can remove paint metal and then install that again?don't bother about that

The mudguard joint would need welding(photo no.6) ;pl get that done and paint it immediately

Last edited by vigsom : 13th March 2011 at 12:41. Reason: addition
Old 13th March 2011, 19:32   #3
SAS
BHPian

My suggestion is to go with what you have suggested: first use sandpaper, followed by rust removal liquid, followed by primer and then paint. For the undercarriage, do the same, except you can put on a layer of the antirust spray over the paint. You get spray cans for them. The tar coating should keep water from seeping into the crevices between the welds and protect the joints.
Old 13th March 2011, 21:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

irfan from the pictures posted it looks like the rusting is in the early stages and can be fixed. Instead of a DIY, take it to a professional body shop and have them do the work. It might cost you a little more than the DIY job though.

The front mudguard's area needs immediate attention. Take it to a good place and let them do the job for you.
Old 14th March 2011, 21:34   #5
BHPian

Re: Maruti Versa : Rust on the floor board and front mudguard

Thanks for the help folks, I have asked a professional painter to do it over one of the coming weekend, and I need to get the tinker work done before to it -

I have, in my hobby workshop a compressor and a paint gun so that might help!

for the bends where paint is peelin off i might as well use the com-paint kit to get that matching color.

RGDS
IRfan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks