Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is above 4k rpm useless for regular driving?
Agree 76 54.29%
Disgree 23 16.43%
Depends on the situation 39 27.86%
Dont know 2 1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 11:14   #76
BHPian

Re: Debate: >4k rpm band useless for regular driving and for regular joe drivers

While driving the Innova its no point going beyond 3 to 3.5 Rmp unless I exceed 130kmph + on mumbai pune expressway. But on National Highways sometimes while overtaking trucks the time lost to change the gear and sometimes the momentum lost while overtaking cars uphill forces you to take the rpms as high as possible. Also with the Accord especially while overtaking cars like Innovas and swifts on the highway I have to cross 5+ rpms in lower gears because the Auto shifts down no matter what when you kick the accelerator.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:35   #77
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Debate: >4k rpm band useless for regular driving and for regular joe drivers

Very interesting thread indeed.
Although the concepts of power & torque-curves are pretty complicated, for spirited drivers, shifting at redline (or in general being in the sweet-spot, in any situation) is pretty much instinctive.

I drive a 800 CC Alto and we travel with full occupancy and luggage while on long-trips. During crazy overtakes, I recall downshifting to 2nd very often and once or twice, even to 1st gear to get that last bit of torque/power out with pedal to the metal. I agree that the noise level increases so high that one can forget about listening to FM or your favourite track

Even in the city, when in good mood, I tend to upshift much later than normal while accelerating and downshift much more aggressively to close the gaps in traffic. Its fun

Sometimes I wonder if my driving style is dictated by the underpowered Alto and how it would change when I upgrade to a C segment sedan.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:44   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

The only place where I don't use the higher rpm rage is in bumper to bumper traffic, and while relaxed cruising in highways.

Otherwise, I always like to keep the engine on boil (Read: Power on tap).

I own a Ford IKON 1.3 Flair '07.
Old 19th March 2011, 20:29   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
There is a trick to make the engine responsive. After you start the car keep the revs to 4K for 10~15 secs then idle it for few secs and repeat once more. You have the responsive engine.
OT but I certainly hope you don't do that much. Especially on a cold start. You will just slowly mess up your engine, since it will not be warmed up and the oil flowing properly.
Old 19th March 2011, 21:05   #80
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Otherwise, I always like to keep the engine on boil (Read: Power on tap).
I own a Ford IKON 1.3 Flair '07.
I used to keep the Ikon on 3rd or 4th most of the time during city drives in the last year of ownership, FE be dammed. Oh what fun it used to be.
Old 20th March 2011, 00:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Agreed. But, how often have you done it during "regular" driving?
Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Well said.
Even during regular driving and commutes one does get opportunities to rip and blast.

One second thoughts, this may not be applicable for Bangalore.
It is applicable to Bangalore as well, ya can get a small stretch somewhere, where ya can do that. Not necessarily ya have to keep it at the same rpm, but even reaching a 100 also ya can have fun isnt it? say in 2nd gear.
Old 20th March 2011, 00:07   #82
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
It is applicable to Bangalore as well, ya can get a small stretch somewhere, where ya can do that. Not necessarily ya have to keep it at the same rpm, but even reaching a 100 also ya can have fun isnt it? say in 2nd gear.
Of course dude, it is applicable. Mine was a light hearted comment. The NICE road is supposed to be a blast, I heard. BTW, I am a half Bangalorian.
Old 20th March 2011, 14:29   #83
BHPian

He he..
Team-BHP really changes the driving styles :P

I have turned into a very sedate driver of late. Finally, I managed to read the thread, and I've been having fun with ANHC for the past 2 days! Oh boy, what fun it is over 4K RPM (reminded me of my initial days with my Ford Ikon 1.6 )

I did a spirited ride around Chennai yesterday! I should start redlining ANHC after its second service. After these petrol escapades, i20 CRDi feels so boring
Old 21st March 2011, 13:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
He he..
Team-BHP really changes the driving styles :P

I have turned into a very sedate driver of late. Finally, I managed to read the thread, and I've been having fun with ANHC for the past 2 days! Oh boy, what fun it is over 4K RPM (reminded me of my initial days with my Ford Ikon 1.6 )

I did a spirited ride around Chennai yesterday! I should start redlining ANHC after its second service. After these petrol escapades, i20 CRDi feels so boring
You stole the words out of my mouth mate! Driving the ANHC this weekend was a revelation, thanks to this thread
Surprisingly, I also did not notice any significant drop in FE while doing so. Also to clarify, did not drive like a maniac but at the same speed, just a gear lower than usual.
I always used to envy the Diesel vehicles(specially Swift), for overtaking the passing vehicles so easily. Just realised that its me driving in the wrong RPM range that's the culprit!
Old 21st March 2011, 14:14   #85
BANNED

If you have a Honda (Civic/City/jazz) the world above 4000rpm is where life begins. Power comes in at 4500rpm or so when the second cam comes on song.
Old 24th March 2011, 14:37   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Of course dude, it is applicable. Mine was a light hearted comment. The NICE road is supposed to be a blast, I heard. BTW, I am a half Bangalorian.
Nah dude, i was not telling "i am Bngalorean and dont talk about bangy" things. What i meant is ya can do it every single day, there will be some point where ya get an open space, not long enough for ya to go > 4k rpm in higher gear. But still... My thing is shift down and revv high.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:46   #87
BHPian

For diesels, it is utter useless. > 4k rpm is near to redline in diesels ans doesn't make sense while the power band is between 2k to 4k.
Old 10th August 2011, 11:59   #88
BHPian

A really Nice Topic indeed!

@ VDrire
For Diesels >4k is never really required unless you are a maniac.

But For Petrol Heads, with engines like Superb K12B and Honda Engines 4 thousand RPM is where the sweet spot lies.

I recently drove my cousins Ritz Zxi and really enjoyed ripping it. The Tacho Pod is real fun to watch and @ 6k RPM the engine is remarkable refined.
Two learnings:
  1. Petrol cars are real fun to Drive if you shift your gears at a higher RPM.
  2. You can even spin your wheels in 3rd Gear, the feeling is awesome and addictive.

But for regular driving do you need to rev above 4k? May be no. But trust me you got to Rip your car once in a while. The feeling just cant be explained.
By the way, Drive Safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks