Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 13:04   #16
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

@ jayded: Is there a jerk while shifting in smaller gears. Say 1st to second or Third to second?

This used to happen to my car. The car had jerky shifts and died while slowing or downshifting. After a test drive by the mechanic, Clutch bleeding was done. The problem resolved for around a month or so and returned.

I am planning to get it checked by a different service center now.

I am driving a Palio Multijet.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:14   #17
BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Not Sure about FIGO, however I have Fiesta TDCi.

I have not experiened this scenariao when low on Fuel, DTE showing as low as DTE 60 or 70 KM. TDCi manual does state that when extreamly low on Fuel, to avoid AIR in Fuel line, it cuts off the supply. Howevere 130 does not look that low to cut the fuel supply.

I have expertienced something similar, as downshifting from 3rd to 2nd to cross a hump. After crossing, engine died. I attribute it to the sheer dead spot caused by excessive low RPM.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Ford changes the Fuel Filter only during the 30K service

So, do they clean it in between when you give it for servicing ?
Old 14th March 2011, 13:42   #19
BHPian

Hi!

Even I had similar instances of engine stopping all of a sudden.

1st time it was when I was navigating a turn on the ghat. The engine stalled and I did not have a clue what next to do. Escaped without any issues.

Other times has been happening on traffic signals with AC on. Feels like there is no power left in the engine. If I race it a bit (about 2k RPM), the car pulls it off, else it just stalls. :(
Old 14th March 2011, 13:45   #20
BANNED

I think the reason is incorrect usage of clutch, gear and rpm levels.

What happened is that when the RPM went quite low, you did not probably realize it and the engine stopped and then you panicked and hence could not fgure out what was happening.

But then again this is just an assumption. To point out the real culprit what we can do is:

1. Tell me what all after-market accessories have you put?
2. Did the car start normally once you halted and tried again?
3. Are you using all fluids which are ford OEMs?
4. Did you ever fill fuel in the car when the fuel tank was almost empty?
Old 14th March 2011, 14:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

^ I have experienced this many times on my old Maruti Zen. I would agree with Mustang that the RPM goes low and the engine stops. In my Zen, the RPM setting required a change/ or adjustment to eliminate this. With AC, the AC compressor also comes into the picture and due to fault in my compressor, I still face issues when AC is on.

Last edited by S_U_N : 14th March 2011 at 14:12.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have been facing such issues and generally ignored them as my fault. I an confirm that this happened to me even when the tank is full. This happens when I downshift and mostly near bumps. I depress the clutch and when release it i find to my horror that the engine is stalled.

I slowly realized that I had been doing nothing to stall the car but it just stalls by itself when I depress the clutch(last two time I did not release the clutch, the engine just stalled). This is prevalent only after second service (if my memory serves me right) and when the a/c is on. I am just back from service center, got my clutch switch checked and ECU too for any DTC errors, none were found, we reset the KAM now. And I am really hoping for the best!

Last edited by anilisanil : 14th March 2011 at 15:46.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have faced this issue occasionally in my Ikon 1.6 & also my Fiesta 1.6. I am sure its got nothing to do with incorrect usage of clutch or anything. While on the move, a normal downshift can make the engine go OFF & I never lug my cars!

Never faced this issue with the other cars I have driven. I have assumed that it was something to do with the fuel so far. Now that the wrong DNA is in the Figo as well I would be interested to know the reason why..!

Last edited by anachronix : 14th March 2011 at 15:49.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:25   #24
BHPian

The fear or the real issue here is more on the steering failing to respond when the car switches off. Do all the other Figo users, who have reported an engine shut down face this issue as it is a very dangerous situation and I would expect this to happen with EPS and not HPS systems as hydraulics should not get affected by the engine switching off. Or am I missing a point?
Old 14th March 2011, 16:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the hydraulic systems working with the engine off.

With the engine stalling, not only the steering, but the servo assist for brakes also go off. Very risky situation to be in!
Old 14th March 2011, 16:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post
The fear or the real issue here is more on the steering failing to respond when the car switches off. Do all the other Figo users, who have reported an engine shut down face this issue as it is a very dangerous situation and I would expect this to happen with EPS and not HPS systems as hydraulics should not get affected by the engine switching off. Or am I missing a point?
yes, i guess. there is usually a power steering pump which pressurises the power steeering fluid and it runs on the engine. if the engine is off, no hydraulics.

the brakes will be poor as well.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post

The steering becomes very tight and brakes wont operate when engine dies. I guess the hydraulics (oil pump) derive their power from engine (obvious right? which is why it is called powered steering!)
Old 14th March 2011, 16:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi guys, I just got a pretty nasty scare today evening. I was driving my Figo TDCi, and being a Sunday evening, the roads were clear of any major traffic. The car was doing 60 KMPH in 4th gear in a straight stretch and then I reached a roundabout where I should be turning right. I pressed the brake, tried to immediately downshift to 3rd and then it took 2 seconds for me to realize what exactly was happening. Instead of turning right, the car held it's straight line. The steering was so tight, and that's when I realized that the car had died in the downshifting process (hence the power steering was cut out). By God's grace the road ahead was empty, or else I would have certainly T-boned some vehicles and caused a major havoc there. I traveled for some 10 meters, stopped the car, then turned it back on. It worked fine then and also started in the first crank itself.

Now for some more additional info on the same. This is the 3rd time this is happening. The last 2 times too the engine died while decelerating. On both occasions, the car was doing a straight line and hence not much of an issue and I ignored it (though I believe I should not have), but this time, I was in for a shocker of a response. All the 3 happened recently. The previous one took place last week. Lately I have been getting a feeling that the engine is a bit jerky as well. At times while doing low speeds, once I lift the leg off the throttle, the car feels a bit jerky (slight!) for a few seconds and then settles down.

We have a trip planned to Bangalore in 2 weeks time and what happened today has raised serious doubts in my mind. Could you guys share your thoughts on the issue and any particular thing that I should be looking for or telling the service center folks when I take my car there? The main problem is I would not be able to reproduce the issue in front of them since it only happens once in a while

Would appreciate some advice/suggestions here.
The engine stalling can happen due to bad fuel, dirty fuel injectors etc. But losing power to the steering is more serious. This means that your electrical system is shutting down. Even if your engine stalls, normally you should not lose steering. You must have your electrical system thoroughly checked, including the ECU. In some cars the diagnostic system stores the last few failures (don't know about Figo though). Ask your ***. Do not drive this car till you nail the problem.

Rgds
Old 14th March 2011, 17:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
The engine stalling can happen due to bad fuel, dirty fuel injectors etc. But losing power to the steering is more serious. This means that your electrical system is shutting down. Even if your engine stalls, normally you should not lose steering. You must have your electrical system thoroughly checked, including the ECU. In some cars the diagnostic system stores the last few failures (don't know about Figo though). Ask your ***. Do not drive this car till you nail the problem.

Rgds

HPS system is powered by engine. The oil pump derives power from engine and compresses the transmission fluid. This high pressure fluid is injected systematically to assist you when you are turning the wheel. If engine dies, it is but natural to lose power on the steering. I strongly suggest one should know what exactly one is suggesting! I guess you are talking about an EPS which derives power from the battery.

So not driving the car is definitely not a correct suggestion.
Old 14th March 2011, 17:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Even if your engine stalls, normally you should not lose steering. You must have your electrical system thoroughly checked, including the ECU.
Nope.

If the engine stalls, the brakes and the steering get no assist. This is how it is in most modern cars!

@anilisanil : Even the EPS does not work if the engine is turned off/stalls. BTW, the Figo does have an EPS and not a HPS, no?

Last edited by DRIV3R : 14th March 2011 at 17:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks