Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 19:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Disc plates changed 4 times in 5 months(Steering wobbling)- Santro Xing.

Guys do you think i should shoot a mail to Hyundai regarding this problem?
This is the 5th time that I'm visiting the service station for the same problem.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
The wobbling used to go away only when the discs were changed, And it starts again after 500-600kms
Wheel bearings? Were they changed?
Quote:
Guys do you think i should shoot a mail to Hyundai regarding this problem?
After reading this, I wouldn't know whether it would work.

As a former Hyundai owner, I realise something has drastically changed over the past couple of years in HMIL, and it isn't for the customer's benefit.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:29   #18
BHPian

Ok try this, better when you don't have your shoes on, does your brake pedal pulse when you step on it? I mean just step on it not slam it. If you do feel the pedal pulsing ( sort of pushing back on your feet its a very feeble movement) then your rotors are bent. I do think in the lines of what Psycho thinks though.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Wheel bearings? Were they changed?

After reading this, I wouldn't know whether it would work.

As a former Hyundai owner, I realise something has drastically changed over the past couple of years in HMIL, and it isn't for the customer's benefit.
No the bearings weren't changed. I'll write a mail to HMIL after the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Ok try this, better when you don't have your shoes on, does your brake pedal pulse when you step on it? I mean just step on it not slam it. If you do feel the pedal pulsing ( sort of pushing back on your feet its a very feeble movement) then your rotors are bent. I do think in the lines of what Psycho thinks though.
I'll try this today, Even if there is pulse back from the calipers, i think they disappear due to the booster, brake fluid et all. anyway i'll do it and post the results. Thank you
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:27   #20
BHPian

Guys,

The ASC agreed to fix my car free of cost, New set of rotor discs and brake calipers have been installed, My car is doing fine as of now *touch wood*.

I was also informed that the front tires have been worn out unevenly, Is it because 4-5 wheel spins i've done? And a few emergency braking.

I asked the service manager the reason for uneven tire wearing and this is what he had to say, "Sir, You are from TEAM-BHP and you might have done a lot of wheel spins because you guys have a lot of "josh" in you."

P.S- I have a "got bhp?" sticker on the boot.
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:38   #21
BHPian

Great Akshay! No, the boosters never completely fade away the pulse, thats one of the reasons I used the words very feeble. They (A*S *S) probably knew the cause But, wheel spins have nothing to do with calipers AFAIK, you slip the clutch and you got your wheel spin
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I asked the service manager the reason for uneven tire wearing and this is what he had to say, "Sir, You are from TEAM-BHP and you might have done a lot of wheel spins because you guys have a lot of "josh" in you."

P.S- I have a "got bhp?" sticker on the boot.

LOL,thats the lamest thing i have heard! TBHP causes uneven tire wear!

Anyway glad to know your problem is solved!
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Do you get any grinding noise when your apply brakes?
Could you elaborate a little more on this?
What if they do?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:05   #24
BHPian

OT errr I thanked mayankk? case of one rotten mouse
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:24   #25
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I hope we have tried all the crazy technical stuff the authorized service personnel has told. I am also having the same issue with my car (indica v2) for a very long time. really this pulsation of the break pedal and the steering really make us very uncomfortable in riding the car. I have also changed the brake disc and the whole set of break pads. The pulsation was gone for a few days but the devil came back after a few days. The TAS has given all the crazy stuff they can put as logic to the pulsation issue. But i never did what they said.

Last day i went to one of my uncle who is a well know person to solve engine issues. From my knowledge he never failed in resolving issues with automobiles and high capacity engines used for cranes and in mines.

I asked him what will be the issue regarding this pulsation felt when we apply breaks. i have informed him i have already changed the brake disc and break pads, but after a few days the break pulsation came back.

He smiled and told me nothing to worry regarding the pulsation. the break wont fail even if there is pulsation.
The actual cause of the break pulsation is due to the caliper bolts. He advised me to change the break caliper bolts on both sides (L&H). a total of 4 bolts. this will fix the pulsation of the breaks.
Since i am busy i am unable to go to a mechanic to change the caliper bolts, i will inform you once i have done the replacement. These bolts are not a costly one, i think altogether they will cost you only 50 Rs.
I have searched my previous service bills and no where they have changed the break caliper bolts. So i can take my uncle's words as golden words.

The best practice is to change the caliper bolts when ever you change the break pads. Since this is not costly you can always SMILE.

I have searched and found this online video showing changing of caliper bolts.
How to Remove Brake Bolts & Calipers | eHow.com

best of luck
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:25   #26
BHPian

This is new! Do let us know once you have changed the caliper bolts. Any information on causes and cures for brake squeal would be welcome!
Old 17th July 2011, 20:55   #27
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I was too busy with work so I was not able to go for the repair of my vehicle. But a few weeks before I went to Focus motors at Trivandrum for changing the calliper bolts. I asked the service adviser to change the break calliper bolts. The SA wanted to have a test drive and we went for the ride. After that he asked me to wait for the repairs. After a wait of one hour the SA came and told me it’s not the issue of the break calliper bolts, it’s the issue of the HUB itself and we need to change the hub assembly, so once the hub is removed the bearing also need to be changed so the estimate was 8k. I was really shocked to hear from the SA. For one moment I was stuck and don’t know what to say. Then I straight away told the SA that no need to do any other work other than changing the Calliper bolts. But the SA was telling me all the crazy logic; I just smiled and said no need to do anything other than changing the calliper bolts. At last the SA told me that the calliper bolts are not available. Grrrr my day is spoiled. Then I took my car from Focus M after paying the bill for changing the cable for opening the boot lid which I asked for changing since the cable was broken.
While I was driving home I thought what would happen to a person if he is not technically sound regarding the issues of the car. If I was not technically confident about the issue I would have lost 8k.
I tried to purchase an original clipper kit for Indica (visited many shops in Trivandrum) but I was unable to get it. Then I called my friend Sumesh at Bangalore and asked him to purchase it from Prerana motors spare part shop near to lalbag. He went to the shop and asked me to confirm the manufacturer of the break assembly. ha Indica has two types front break assembly manufacturer. I jumped to remove my front Tyre as fast I could and saw the manufacturer as TVS. I called my friend and updated that it is TVS. He purchased the calliper bolt kit. The total cost for both sides was Rs.340. I take back my previous post that calliper bolt is cheaper.
A few days back I went to a local garage and changed the calliper kit and the cost was only Rs100. then I took the car for a test drive, as I expected there was no pulsation of the brake pedal or the steering shivering. The abs pulsation is gone. I wanted to confirm that the changing the calliper kit has done the magic. So after changing the calliper kit till date I have driven my car for more than 200 km now and there is no pulsation felt. The last time when I changed the break disc and pads the pulsation was not there for the first 100 kms so I waited till now to confirm about this.
So the summary is,
Changing the calliper kit will fix the pulsation of the brake pedal. So please don't waste your time and money changing the brake assembly and other parts for the pulsation issue.
I have read in many sites in internet regarding the best practice regarding brake maintenance. It’s advised to change the calliper kit when you change the brake pads.

So I fixed the pulsation of the brake pedal for just 340+100 = 440.
Thanks to my uncle whose golden advice saved me thousands of rupees?
I am sure this information will help many in solving the brake pulsation issue.

Thank you for reading
Happy motoring
harryms is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 21:42   #28
BHPian

what does the caliper kit consist off apart from the bolts? how many bushes? whatelse to look for in that kit? or is it just bolts and washers?
Old 18th August 2011, 11:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
what does the caliper kit consist off apart from the bolts? how many bushes? whatelse to look for in that kit? or is it just bolts and washers?
The caliper kit consists of 3 items.
1. caliper bolt.
2. caliper lock nut.
3. rubber boot.

In one kit there will be a set of two. For changing both sides you need to have two sets ie a total of 4 caliper bolt + 4 Caliper lock nut + 4 rubber boot.
For my car the whole item came in a plastic packing containing two small boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Disc plates changed 4 times in 5 months(Steering wobbling)- Santro Xing.-brakecaliperbolts196.jpg  

Disc plates changed 4 times in 5 months(Steering wobbling)- Santro Xing.-caliper_bolts_lock_bolt.jpg  

Attached Images

harryms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 23:27   #30
BHPian

Does your uncle have anything on squealing brakes? I have got them checked a few times, changed the pads, no uneven wear on the rotors, the left front wheel squeals at soft braking, something one does to slow down. The Tata experts have no clue. I am done with sponsoring their learning experience. The bolt and kit is new. standard stuff was to replace or lathe the disks. The next time you meet up with this uncle of yours, kindly ask about the brake squeal!

Most Viewed