Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 01:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Disc plates changed 4 times in 5 months(Steering wobbling)- Santro Xing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Guys,

I was also informed that the front tires have been worn out unevenly, Is it because 4-5 wheel spins i've done? And a few emergency braking.
If you have uneven tyre wear it indicates allignment issues. Recheck the wheel allignment and keep a close eye on tyre wear. Do wheel rotation if required. Wheel spins do cause tyre wear but not uneven tyre wear.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Does your uncle have anything on squealing brakes? I have got them checked a few times, changed the pads, no uneven wear on the rotors, the left front wheel squeals at soft braking, something one does to slow down. The Tata experts have no clue. I am done with sponsoring their learning experience. The bolt and kit is new. standard stuff was to replace or lathe the disks. The next time you meet up with this uncle of yours, kindly ask about the brake squeal!

Sure i will talk to him and update you. Can you explain in detail the issue.

thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Also, The front left suspension makes kit-kit sort of noise whenever i'm turning or driven on a rough patch of the road, The problem was solved after the service engineer welded a "cracked plate". But the problem is back again.
The 'kit-kit' sound while turning can be made by worn out CV joints. please check and make sure their rubber boots are intact.
dhawcash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 16:38   #34

Hi Guys,

I kinda have a similar issue with the brakes on my Optra Magnum, about 7-8 months ago when I was driving to Goa , I experienced brake shuddering ( the whole car shakes when I braked) at speeds of about 120 up to 30 kms. I got the front disks ( both L&R side) skimmed in a Hubli Chevy A$$ center before proceeding to Goa and the issue was resolved after that. However, after about 500 kms the issue re-surfaced. This time GM (sundaram motors, blore) replaced the front 2 rotors under warranty along with the brake pads. I had driven close to 700 kms after that replacement but the shaking/shuddering sensation came back. So, I got the disks skimmed and got new pads installed recently, but the shaking of the vehicle sensation has returned. Only I can feel it when I brake ( both soft n hard braking) I also feel a slight pulsation on the brake pedal. Just FYI that the magnum is fast car and the brakes are used quite a bit to reign in the torque and power it generates. Can any of you tell me what may be the issue here ? The car is out of warranty(3yrs) now so I really need get this issue fixed before it turns into a major issue later on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bharath
Old 30th September 2011, 21:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^^
If the rotors are not warped (check it out), then in all probability the caliper is sticky on the pins.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st October 2011, 15:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
If the rotors are not warped (check it out), then in all probability the caliper is sticky on the pins.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks Sutripta. I got the 2 front rotors skimmed about a month and a half ago after which I may have driven about 700 kms. I don't see any noticeable warping by looking the rotors. A question which baffles me is "are the rotors so delicate to get warped that easily?"

What exactly do you mean by" caliper is sticky", could you pls simply that for me?

Do you think I should get the bushes or the tie-rods checked? Do they get bent that easily?
Old 1st October 2011, 20:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^^
The caliper assembly slides along a couple of guide pins/ rods. This must be just right. Too loose and there will be a lot of noise. Tight or sticky will lead to all sorts of braking problems.

Did you drive through water?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st October 2011, 22:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Get the tie rods checked they can also lead to wobble of the steering wheel. Also check the steel wheels for any deformity.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 1st October 2011 at 22:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks