Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 14:00   #61

My experience with Hyundai Tucson: Preimum or normal diesel makes no difference (except for Shell). What is important is purity.

I have freely swicthed between premium and normal across brands (BP, HP, IOC) for over a year and a half with absolutely no problems. Hence, my opinion that for Tucson, preimum or normal makes no difference.

I noticed sudden drop in pick-up and throttle response after a fuel top up. Emission check light came on and the Hyundai service center detected that teh EGR valve was dirty and had to be cleaned. I suspect that particulat batch of fuel was impure. Hence, my opinion that purity is critical.

Once they suspected fuel quality, Hyundai service station advise me to use Shell. Since Shell does not sell normal diesel, I swicthed to Shell premium. Pick up improved, but diesel clatter started and has progressively become worse. Hence, my opinion that Shell Premium is bad for Tucson. whatever additive they are using, it is different from the others, and Tucson engine does not like it.

Now I have swicthed to normal diesel from a reputed BP retailer. I am waiting to see if it reduces the clatter.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:31   #62
BANNED

Ever come across an Essar Bunk.

Best Diesel avlble.

Our 3L safari returned 12.26 kmpl with overall coverage of 730 kms and 60 ltrs of diesel (2 fillings)

Ive seen one bunk near Yeshwanthpur just 200 mts after the Shell Bunk.

Shell nothing great about it apart from being quality fuel.

IOC normal daily fuel OK

HP not filled even once

BP once or twice no comments
Old 14th March 2008, 15:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

There will be a difference in the overall performance based on the cetane number of diesel they supply which I have attempted to explain here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuma25 View Post
My experience with Hyundai Tucson: Preimum or normal diesel makes no difference (except for Shell). What is important is purity.

I have freely swicthed between premium and normal across brands (BP, HP, IOC) for over a year and a half with absolutely no problems. Hence, my opinion that for Tucson, preimum or normal makes no difference.

I noticed sudden drop in pick-up and throttle response after a fuel top up. Emission check light came on and the Hyundai service center detected that teh EGR valve was dirty and had to be cleaned. I suspect that particulat batch of fuel was impure. Hence, my opinion that purity is critical.

Once they suspected fuel quality, Hyundai service station advise me to use Shell. Since Shell does not sell normal diesel, I swicthed to Shell premium. Pick up improved, but diesel clatter started and has progressively become worse. Hence, my opinion that Shell Premium is bad for Tucson. whatever additive they are using, it is different from the others, and Tucson engine does not like it.

Now I have swicthed to normal diesel from a reputed BP retailer. I am waiting to see if it reduces the clatter.
Old 15th March 2008, 12:44   #64

I'm using IOC Extramile diesel almost consistently in my Tucson. There is absolutely no problem and it drives like a brand new car - even after 1.8 years of spirited driving on some of the worst roads in Bangalore (almost daily).
Old 4th June 2008, 12:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to know and did it reduce the clatter ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuma25 View Post

Last edited by dadu : 4th June 2008 at 12:05.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:46   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

hi dadu
plse can you suggest to me whether I should use Premium Diesel or Regular Diesel from now on in my Scorp
Ive been using HP Turbojet only in it until now except when once or twice Turbojet was not available - in Ooty and elsewhere.
Frankly I cant make out any difference between Turbo and regular.
I always fill diesel in the HP bunk in Koramangala and Im reasonably sure they dont adulterate the fuel etc there.
Do let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Interesting to know and did it reduce the clatter ??
Old 4th June 2008, 16:31   #67
BANNED

My OM616 turbo runs great with Turbojet or Hi Speed, so does my HINO, I can notice the added smoothness at high revs and the OM616 turbo clatters way less. I haven't noticed any mileage increase as such but my emissions remain the same as it was when the vehicles were new. Also I get way less smoke.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:02   #68
BHPian

I think premium diesels are good for the old cars like lancer diesels and ordinary diesel for the new generations crdi engines.I'm using turbojet for my lancer and the engine feels more smooth.
Old 5th June 2008, 14:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

You will have to try and see for youself what suits your engine, IOC Xtramile is a favourite for most.

So use and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hi dadu
plse can you suggest to me whether I should use Premium Diesel or Regular Diesel from now on in my Scorp
Ive been using HP Turbojet only in it until now except when once or twice Turbojet was not available - in Ooty and elsewhere.
Frankly I cant make out any difference between Turbo and regular.
I always fill diesel in the HP bunk in Koramangala and Im reasonably sure they dont adulterate the fuel etc there.
Do let me know
Old 5th June 2008, 15:14   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

going to put regular diesel from this evening onwards and will see over the weekend how it behaves
will share details
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You will have to try and see for youself what suits your engine, IOC Xtramile is a favourite for most.

So use and decide.
Old 9th June 2008, 12:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Finally bit the bullet! My guru (as in Sr WM, Dhingra Motors) has been telling me for a while to switch to Regular Diesel with no additives for overall increase in mileage & better performance. I had been hesitating since I was happy with the mileage I was getting & didn't want to take the risk of the beast starting to "smoke" with a change in fuel etc.

With the recent price hike, I thought what the heck! So, have filled Regular Diesel from IOC over the weekend (same pump) & will observe the truck over the next couple of weeks for any improvement/deterioration. I was earlier filling Xtramile (pre-price increase) at Rs 32.95 per litre, now its Regular Diesel for Rs 33.73 per litre (Gurgaon is apparently the lowest for Regular Diesel now after the Govt reduced prices over the weekend) so I hope to nullify this increase of Rs 0.78 per litre with some increase in mileage

The truck seems to be running a little smoother at low revs this morning but maybe its just my imagination

Last edited by suman : 9th June 2008 at 12:08.
Old 9th June 2008, 12:18   #72
BHPian

IOC XtraMile deisel @ Rs 41.18 - Time for a 'regular' trial

The Indica Turbo manual seems to not make any special mention of the kind of fuel to keep her purrin for long.

Have been using the IOC Xtramile for the odd 15K kms that she has run so far.

Based on all the comments i come across for other TATA engines, plan to do a trial on the regular deisel diet.

Apart from occasional black fumes, what more should i expect in this trial run please.

Anyone here.??
Old 9th June 2008, 12:38   #73
Team-BHP Support

The only time a diesel should emit black smoke is when the silencer is being cleaned of deposits.
do high revving for around 30 seconds or so, and get rid of all soot in the tailpipe. After that you should not see any black smoke at all for atleast a few days, no matter what diesel you use.
If your car is smoking all the time, this means its running rich.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:08   #74
BHPian

Any comment from the Skoda owners..What fuel is preferred and any issues highlighted on using the premiuim diesel.
Old 13th June 2008, 13:46   #75
BHPian

At the last service of my Indica, had a bit of a chat with my service advisor about the upcoming Indica V3 or Evolution and inevitably the topic turned towards the fuel quality etc.

According to him/TM, it is better to stick to normal diesel and not go for the premium ones, infact he told me that premium fuels were causing some FIP issues in pre-BSIII Indicas ( including mine apparently)

I asked him if TM never did tests with these fuels, he did not know about it. For my Indica he suggested to use the System -D , I told him that I used it but gave it up when I started to get problems with FIP.

It seems now that TM recommends two new "additives" System D extra or something like that and BG CF5

BG 44K Fuel Injector Cleaner BG MOA Injection Cleaner Frigi Fresh BG44K

I bought BG CF5 for Rs.550/- , basically you pour it into the fuel tank when you tank up (not very easy, you need a funnel + about 2 feet of plastic hose) , run it till your next oil change but always make sure that you never go below 1/4th on your fuel level otherwise chances are that this additive gets burnt instead of fuel.

So currently running this with normal diesel from HP , smoke has gone down, engine feels healthy, no idea about FE since the car is away on a long trip with my mother.

Will keep you updated

Most Viewed