Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 22:40   #1
BHPian

Link between lower backache & the SX4

Hi Guys,

I have been using my SX4 since July 2009, it started after 3 months of using the car. I began experiencing lower back pain (Lumber region).

I did not take it seriously or relate it to the SX4 until March 2011. I met 3 people including a BHPian facing the same issue of lower back pain. With two things in common i.e. The SX4 & lower back pain.

The reason for creating this thread is simple, I'd like to know if other SX4 owners are facing difficulties getting comfortable in the drivers seat or lower back pain.

Request to all SX4 owners and/or people who've driven one, to post their actual experience' PLEASE.

Last edited by maglev : 17th March 2011 at 23:04.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Link between lower backache & the SX4

From my SX4 diesel's review:

Quote:
The fabric looks tasteful and high quality and cushioning is spot on, though the back rest is a bit too stiff for my liking. The upper thigh support is decent but lower back support needs improvement, especially the "H" point. Lumbar support is sorely missed and would have been a boom for long drives.
Its true. Though I cannot comment on long term usage. And our car was the newer one.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
From my SX4 diesel's review:

Its true. Though I cannot comment on long term usage. And our car was the newer one.

Thanks for replying Sid!

The H-Point is the region where I also feel a lack of support from the seat. Infact my lower back doesn't even touch the backrest fully.

This thread: http://www.sx4club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8096

It talks about the same issue, I don't know if the Indian version has the same seats though!

Last edited by maglev : 17th March 2011 at 23:13.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:37   #4
BHPian

Yes. I have developed a lower back problem and yes! I do drive the SX4. I dint really think the two could be related until I pondered upon your thread.
Old 18th March 2011, 02:04   #5
BANNED

What is the "H" point? I am going to be redoing the padding foam and seat covers in my Gypsy and want to make sure I don't miss out on this

--Ragul
Old 18th March 2011, 02:48   #6
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2011 at 03:32. Reason: See note.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:45   #7
BHPian

It is little difficult to get adjusted to the driving position of sx4 if you are a low height car driver earlier, something like a hatch, accent or esteen. However i didnt feel much difference as i had earlier used the swift. The key for a better driving position in sx4 is the seat height adjustment. IF you are driving the zxi then you can have this feature to adjust your seating position and by trail and error you have to select the optimum comfort position.

The other way round if i drive any other car which is low in height i will get sprains in my legs. for ex: if i drive my friends Accent for a long time, i get sprains the next day. This was my experience of driving sx4 for 2 yrs.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, for anyone with a lower back pain problem driving a low slung car will aggrevate the problem, it is NOT a solution. A car with higher seating is infinitely more comfortable & most important is to get the lumbar support right, even if it entails using a contoured backrest (available at accessory stores or chemists)
Old 18th March 2011, 10:11   #9
BHPian

I own an SX4 ZXi since 2007. For the past six months, I have been exclusively driving the SX4 Zxi and have covered around 12000 Kms. I haven’t experienced a lower back (lumbar) pain.

I agree with tabrez that it is a bit difficult to find optimum driving position in the car because of its higher height. In addition to its height adjustments, you may perhaps consider lowering the steering a bit.

Last edited by Stratos : 18th March 2011 at 11:02.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:16   #10
BHPian

I have been diriving the SX4 close to a year but I didnt find any such issue of lower back pain yet. Maybe me being 6ft 3in is a factor to it.. In fact I used to have problems getting in and out and driving in the Honda City because of my height. With SX4 I never did face any such issues yet.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:30   #11
BHPian

@Maglev, I had absolutely no issues with my SX4 over the 22000 kms that I clocked before selling her (yeah, I know MSIL calls it a 'Man'! 'Men are back' is the line, wonder if that plays on the back!!). On the contrary, I found the seats very comfortable, and supportive, as also did my wife (we're long distance, highway journey-folks) and my SX4 was sans the height adjuster, being a VXi. It's possible though, since we have different body designs, that the contours of one individual's back may feel the lumbar support differently from another person's. In our case at least we actually miss our SX4, the comfort being a major factor.

We also found the shoulder support to be excellent, and the under-thigh support great as well. So absolutely no complaints. Rear seat passengers also often commented about the ride comfort (yes, I'm also aware of those who comment on the center hump, intruding transmission tunnel, hard ride quality, etc. etc.). If at all there was a grouse, it was with the quality of the seat fabric - difficult to keep clean (I'm fastidious about seat covers on my cars, which means I don't put one on easily) and the material is very thin, hence I'd be perennially scared about tearing it. Few of my acquaintances who draped those bead-like things, without a cover underneath, actually ended up shredding the fabric.

I'd have bought the diesel SX4 immediately if MSIL had launched one with an automatic tranny (and a good one at that - at least 5-speed, if not 6).

There's a major contributor to lower back pain while driving - the innocuous wallet in the hip pocket! Take it out of the pocket, and keep it elsewhere while driving, and see if that helps!

Edit:
By the way, I forgot to mention this, I have a badly damaged back - many of the Ls are cooked! So there!

Last edited by Prabal : 18th March 2011 at 10:37.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:33   #12
KMT
BHPian

Guys as Ricky has pointed out a low slung car aggrevates back ache. I have been to numerous physios/chiropractors on this issue.
The closer you are to a 'chair' seating position the better. Automatics greatly reduce back strain too.
Any good upholsterer can build a permanent lumbar support (to your measurement)into your existing seat and upholstery.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:49   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I agree with this statement.
Chair seating position is the best for the lower back - especially in taller people. Lower lumbar support is also a necessity to obviate this backache.
With ref Automatic cars - I do understand what you mean because I was driving an automatic on a recent holiday and there is a world of difference in terms of driving fatigue in comparison to my Scorpio. of course it helped that the particular automatic I was driving had many different electrically adjustable seating positions and in fact is a far better engineered and infinitely more comfy vehicle than the Scorpio. Added to that the roads I was driving on were way different from our local roads here.

What Ive done for my dad's indica is to get the seats completely re-upholstered and re-covered for better lumbar support by introducing some extra padding which supports the lower back much more. Also increased the length of the seat itself with an extra frame welded on to the bottom and introduced more foam padding, to provide greater under thigh support. the results are spectacular in terms of comfort. The original indica seats were never great but with this re-upholstering job they are infinitely more comfy or so my parents say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Guys as Ricky has pointed out a low slung car aggrevates back ache. I have been to numerous physios/chiropractors on this issue.
The closer you are to a 'chair' seating position the better. Automatics greatly reduce back strain too.
Any good upholsterer can build a permanent lumbar support (to your measurement)into your existing seat and upholstery.
Old 18th March 2011, 11:10   #14
BHPian

Well, this might sound funny.
Some time back last year, during one of our TBHP meets, DigitalDragon did complain of back pain. He felt that there was something wrong with the seat.
All of us on the drive noted a funny thing! The center of the steering is not aligned to the center of the seat. Thus, for medium to average height folks (including me), this would definitely cause backache. For taller/bigger guys, that problem might not be too conspicuous.

This probably could be due to the seat alignment or a more severe design defect. Can you all check that?
Old 18th March 2011, 13:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
What is the "H" point? I am going to be redoing the padding foam and seat covers in my Gypsy and want to make sure I don't miss out on this

--Ragul
H Point is the hip point. Hip is taken as the reference and then the other parts/part locations (of say steering wheel/music, ac system placements) designed.
It is to ensure that all knobs etc are ergonomically within reach of the driver/passenger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks