Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 16:07   #1
bhp
BHPian

Axle problem - Honda Accord (new shape)

I have a new shape Honda Accord Automatic Aug 2008 having done 25k kms.

The said car also has extended warranty which expires in 2012.
There is a tak-tak sound from the RHS underbody while taking turns at slow speed which was reported to soliatire honda Andheri during last service in the first week of feb 2011. They kept the car for 3-4 days to inspect the problem.
They inspected the car and found rhs axle problem and assured me that it will be covered under the extended warranty. But said part not in stock so should take 15-20 days to arrive.
After many follow-ups they called the car after 15-20 days saying the Honda engineer wants to check the problem and i send the car again to the workshop for a day.
1 month passes by and i dont get any response for honda or the dealer. I go and meet the customer care manager at the service station where he mentions to me that the claim has been rejected by honda calling it a 'wear and tear part'. He also mentions that there is a similar problem in another Accord as well so he would talk to honda and re-apply for the axle under warranty. Honda has again rejected the claim saying it is a 'wear and tear part' and there are some problems with the axle bearing so it wont be covered.
I have raised this issue with the customer care at honda as well but have got no revertal.
I have also gone through the extended warranty manual and it doesnt anywhere mention about axle not being covered.
There isnt any concrete reply from honda regarding the issue.

This is my first experience of an axle problem on such a low mileage car other then the maruti 800 days in the 90's.
This is a manufacturing defect and Honda should honour it.

All comunications from the dealer have been verbally. There hasnt been a single report/copy of the claim being rejected by Honda.
Should i take the car to another service center ??? need help guys

This is really frustrating inspite of having the car under extended warranty and the case has taken almost 2 months.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:07   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Axle problem - Honda Accord (new shape)

I do suggest you take the car to another service centre, as the service centre is expected to help you and they seem to not bothering with even updating you on their own. Axle should be covered within under warranty within the warranty period and kms.

Also would suggest you ask honda customer care to excalate your query or that you need to speak to the manager there. This would normally be a seperate number or email ID. I guess u need to be firm out there.

Besides this posting photographs of the part in question on this forum would enable the members here to give a better opinion.

Do you have an extimate of the cost involved if you pay for the part?

Pls also post scans of any correspondence that you have had with Honda as well as with the dealer (including the job card.) You need to have formal communication to take this further at all points.

Axle / Bearings does / do not get damaged with normal usage (though bearings have xkms as their life) they could get damaged due to hitting a hard rock or something, or due to rubber boots that house the greese not being replaced when due. Usage does have a part to play. But is the company cannot prove abuse then they would need to replace the part under warranty. (Do note that this does depend on the wording in the warranty document and if this is not covered, then you can ask the company to point you the point that mentions so and to explain why.)
Old 21st March 2011, 17:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Check your tyres, there may be a nail or screw embedded. Happened to be twice
Old 21st March 2011, 22:55   #4
bhp
BHPian

Re: Axle pyroblem - Honda Accord (new shape)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I do suggest you take the car to another service centre, as the service centre is expected to help you and they seem to not bothering with even updating you on their own. Axle should be covered within under warranty within the warranty period and kms.

Also would suggest you ask honda customer care to excalate your query or that you need to speak to the manager there. This would normally be a seperate number or email ID. I guess u need to be firm out there.

Besides this posting photographs of the part in question on this forum would enable the members here to give a better opinion.

Do you have an extimate of the cost involved if you pay for the part?

Pls also post scans of any correspondence that you have had with Honda as well as with the dealer (including the job card.) You need to have formal communication to take this further at all points.

Axle / Bearings does / do not get damaged with normal usage (though bearings have xkms as their life) they could get damaged due to hitting a hard rock or something, or due to rubber boots that house the greese not being replaced when due. Usage does have a part to play. But is the company cannot prove abuse then they would need to replace the part under warranty. (Do note that this does depend on the wording in the warranty document and if this is not covered, then you can ask the company to point you the point that mentions so and to explain why.)
I am thinking to take the car to linkway honda soon.
The approx estimate for the axle is 30k+. I am still waiting for a response from honda. I had registered the complaint at hondas customer care on the 16th march. i have a reference number of the same and also the job card which mentions my complaint to the service center.
Dont have any pictures currently to post here.
The vehicle is being maintained at honda authorised service station since day 1.
There isnt any damage to axle boot at all. not a case of any physical damage.
can bearings cause problems at just 24k kms ??? i dont think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Check your tyres, there may be a nail or screw embedded. Happened to be twice
will check. but the service station has confirmed an axle fault.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:00   #5
BHPian

Damn bro thats horrible, check your lug nuts and see if they are tight. Did you happen to put your car in a huge pothole by any chance?
Old 21st March 2011, 23:37   #6
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
Damn bro thats horrible, check your lug nuts and see if they are tight. Did you happen to put your car in a huge pothole by any chance?
Nope...no signs of physical damage anywhere..
Old 22nd March 2011, 00:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to see Honda doing this...

But...if the problem is still persistent, why are you still using the car???

What if Honda claim later on that the problem aggravated because you did not get it fixed in time?

Be watchful of both the Honda and the dealer.
If I were you, I would just leave the car at the dealership, take a detailed copy of the job card and insist on getting it resolved with daily follow up.
Old 22nd March 2011, 00:57   #8
bhp
BHPian

I am hardly using the car...the delivery was taken after service with assurance that it will be covered under warranty and parts would need 15-20 days to arrive
Old 24th March 2011, 13:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

OK.
So it's all happening on verbal assurances on which Honda and dealer are going back and forth or things are finalized now?
Old 24th March 2011, 14:05   #10
bhp
BHPian

The claim hasn't been approved yet...I have send an email regarding the same to the insurance company (iffco tokio) who's handling the extended warranty claims for honda, solitaire honda andheri and customercare@honda but still awaiting proper reply from them..
Old 26th March 2011, 12:36   #11
bhp
BHPian

Update :-

The insurance company is not approving the claim...after multiple complains and emails also at honda customer care but they don't care to reply.

The axles cost is around 30k.
Is repairing the axle a good option ???
Old 28th March 2011, 15:33   #12
bhp
BHPian

Update guys

I just receieved a call from solitaire honda saying that honda under goodwill warranty is ready to wave off 50%. And the rest 50% + labour will have to be given by me.
Is it a good deal or should I opt for getting the axle bearing repaired locally at a component garage.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:45   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I find it extremely surprising to hear of a faulty axle in a 25K kms Honda Accord. What's even more appalling is Honda making you run around from pillar to post for a defect they had better set right! This is NOT the after-sales service expected for a 20 lakh rupee car.

Sure, the axle is a wear & tear part....but there has to be a reasonable approach here. Even an engine is a wear & tear part. Will Honda refuse warranty coverage to an engine that seized at 20,000 kms for no fault of its owner?

If I were you, I'd take it up strongly with Honda. But of course, that will require some patience on your part. If you don't have the time, pay the difference of 50% and get the work done.

Either ways, a thumbs down to Honda on this one from me. They are losing market share big time, and treating their loyal customers in a shoddy manner won't really help matters.

P.S. : If you really want to get even, first complete the work. Then, send the dealer & Honda a legal notice with proof of:

- The faulty axle

- The warranty booklet which does NOT include an axle on the exclusion list

- Ask for reimbursement of the charges you paid, taxi for the number of days your car was off the road and legal fees

- Get a competent consumer court lawyer. Will not cost you more than 1,000 - 2,000 bucks for the notice.

Put up all your communication here. You'll get the attention this shocking matter deserves.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2011 at 15:48.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

They will blame it on a torn axle boot that caused the failure and hence the part replacement. So first thing take many snaps of the axle boot
Old 29th March 2011, 22:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I have a new shape Honda Accord Automatic Aug 2008 having done 25k kms.

The said car also has extended warranty which expires in 2012.
There is a tak-tak sound from the RHS underbody while taking turns at slow speed which was reported to soliatire honda Andheri during last service in the first week of feb 2011. They kept the car for 3-4 days to inspect the problem.
They inspected the car and found rhs axle problem and assured me that it will be covered under the extended warranty. But said part not in stock so should take 15-20 days to arrive.
After many follow-ups they called the car after 15-20 days saying the Honda engineer wants to check the problem and i send the car again to the workshop for a day.
1 month passes by and i dont get any response for honda or the dealer. I go and meet the customer care manager at the service station where he mentions to me that the claim has been rejected by honda calling it a 'wear and tear part'. He also mentions that there is a similar problem in another Accord as well so he would talk to honda and re-apply for the axle under warranty. Honda has again rejected the claim saying it is a 'wear and tear part' and there are some problems with the axle bearing so it wont be covered.
I have raised this issue with the customer care at honda as well but have got no revertal.
I have also gone through the extended warranty manual and it doesnt anywhere mention about axle not being covered.
There isnt any concrete reply from honda regarding the issue.

This is my first experience of an axle problem on such a low mileage car other then the maruti 800 days in the 90's.
This is a manufacturing defect and Honda should honour it.

All comunications from the dealer have been verbally. There hasnt been a single report/copy of the claim being rejected by Honda.
Should i take the car to another service center ??? need help guys

This is really frustrating inspite of having the car under extended warranty and the case has taken almost 2 months.
Hi dear I also had problem with this andheri work shop ,which is next door to my office.
These chaps are experts in making fool out of you .
Igot my accord MT 2005 model clutch replacement, they called the car for 3 times to their workshop and upon raching the workshop they say the clutch assly is not yet come.
I made them say sorry and told them to do thier home work first then call the customer.
After 4 visits the assly arrived and was replaced, during job card prepration they told me that throttle body will be lubricated and is also chargable.
When the car was being repaired in the workshop I visited them saw that the mechanic spraying choke cleaning spray in the body with his already used can and a brand new can lying nearby which later he kept it in his toolbox.
When bill arrived I said I want my spray can which is with the mechanic, but they refused to accept, now I made big noise in the workshop almost creating scene then immediately the brand new can came on the table I was sitting.
I told them I dont beleive you have replaced my clutch plate also. It must have been adjusted. But I thought to end here and went home.
Irequest all avoid this PLACE .
Second ocation Power steering pressure pipe was burst they qouted me 19000/- for pipe ,oil,labour etc I got it done from a guy in Bandh Santacruz who repaired my old pipe with new pipe and new oil and labour all for 2000/-.Regards...........
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks