Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 17:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

Ishaan you really are a tirewaala.

Well for people who are changing to alloys please see to it that you got proper equipment to change them in case of a puncture. Some alloys do require an allen key without which you cannot reach the bolts. Make sure you got your equipment around always on a journey
Old 8th October 2008, 17:14   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spinnerr : 1. Jacking up an SUV (Scorp/Safari kind), cuz I remember seeing people placing the jack right under the suspension (rear, is what i had seen) and not on the body like in the pics that you have provided.
Isnt that why SUVs have a longer jack handle?
The SUV's are heavier, so the support points will not be similar to that of a car.

As you correctly guessed, the jack handle is longer because the jack goes under the rear axle. For the Sumo, I have to push the jack from behind, to place it below the rear axle.

And after having done it once, I now carry a small torch with me so that I can clearly see the position of the jack below the axle, before I raise the wheel.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:17   #63
BHPian

Guys this is an excellent pictorial guide
Is there something similar for cleaning the K&N filters. I know the process, but things how long should i let it dry, where can i get the cleaning recharge kit for my universal filter, etc. Given the number of people with universal filters out here, it will be a good guide to have on the forum.
Old 8th October 2008, 23:30   #64
BHPian

Thanks a lot tyre god
Old 27th October 2008, 17:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

To be prepared for an emergency I tried to jack up my scorpio (VLX, stock alloys).

I used the directions provided in the manual / jack but was not able to lift the car, the jack handle refused to budge.

On its own the jack is quiet smooth and functional.

Any suggestions.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:56   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I used the directions provided in the manual / jack but was not able to lift the car, the jack handle refused to budge.

On its own the jack is quiet smooth and functional.

Any suggestions.
An urgent visit to the nearest health club / fitness center is required. No offence meant, but you need good muscle power to lift up a car.
Old 27th October 2008, 19:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ishan
For once a guide which looks under healthy effect.

It really helped me as i always thought where would the jack go
Old 5th March 2009, 15:26   #68
BHPian

Nice thread Iraghava.

Changing a flat tyre is a tiring job. When you are on the move, this unplanned( ) work could spoil your whole trip/day. I too suffered many times in the past due to the flat tyres. That too with varying vehicles like Ambys, marutis and few SUVs.

When I bought my first car a couple of months back, the first thing I did when I reached home - removed a tyre and fixed it again. Though I have some past experience, the reason for doing it again in this car - The jacks are different, where you place the jack under the car is different, the nuts and bolts are different. SO I suggest every car owner to do this before they take their car out.

SAFETY TIPS

The jack could break/fall due to factors like uneven surface, weak metal used, accidental human interference etc. So as an additional safety measure, I usually keep the spare type below the car near the jack (When removing the flat, use the spare tyre and when fixing the spare, use the flat tyre.)

Also NEVER FORGET to use harzard lights & the triangle reflector signal when changing the tyre. And make sure nobody is hiding the signal lights from the oncoming traffic.

(Gr8 if you could add these points in the guide as this thread is parked. )
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:08   #69
Senior - BHPian

Many have changed their OEM rims to alloys & few will buy only 4 to retain the OEM rim for emergency purposes.

If there is a puncture, you need to pull out the spare OEM rim for replacing one of your alloy.

Will the nuts used to fix the alloys enough to fix the OEM rims or we need to stock those OEM nuts. I understand that bolt size remains same as its fixed with the wheel, but still I have this question
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:08   #70
BHPian

really Nice & important post, I was searching the forum for 'stuck wheels' but couldnt find any here, so I did an extensive search all over the net, finally got a few very useful site. I would like to share my experiance with all the other car DYI people out there.

I have had a M800 for 19 years and have done plenty of tyre changes, even a complete 5 tyre rotation in 20 minutes. With all that confidence I never bothered to think twice about my Innova which was purchased in 2007 august, since I was planning on a long trip recently & it was over 5000km run already thought of rotating my tyres. So loosened the nuts a bit, jacked the car up & removed the nuts completely only to find the wheel wouldnt budge no matter what I did. That was the case with all the wheels, so I fixed them back thinking I will take it to a tyre changing place & they will do it, never the less I did a search on the net & found out in one of the other forums the similar problem was delt by the service guys by hammering the wheel from inside to loosen it.

That didnt sound good, couple of sites said to just loosen all the nuts by 5 threads & drive the car 4 to 5 feet & break hard, while few said to use antirust spray after removing the nuts, wait a while & try jerking the wheel, actually they work in combination (didnt work individually in my case). What I did was loosen the nuts all the way use the spray nozzel to spray between the wheel thread & hub, refix the nuts all the way but 1 tread before tight & drive the car few feet break hard, this finally wheels came off with few jerks, punches & kicks. There was lot of rust holding the hub to the drum, since the innova comes with tubeless tyre & they dont get punctured easily many of us never remove them, but in case of emergency on an highway that would be tragic.

Finally I sprayed WD-40 & cleaned the rust off & finished the 5 tyre rotation, all new car owners should try to remove all the wheels atleast once to be sure this is not the case. I am sure all innovas will have the same problem as they have a central cylinder that projects through the hole in the hub adding to the rust jam, Zorrik 88 works better than WD 40 with rust & spray plenty before refixing to avoid future jams.

Never put grease or any lubricant to the wheel nuts as they will compromise the tightness over a period of time.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd May 2009 at 21:57. Reason: For better readability, please punctuate and paragraph. Thanks
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:10   #71
BHPian

Very informative & useful thread. Thanks a bunch iraghava.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Iraghava---This is one heck of a good pictorial guide! Thanks for posting it.
I've changed my M800's tyres at least half a dozen tyres and agree with all your recommendations. In fact, I'd learnt all those tricks from my dad.

However I'd like to contribute some more info:-
  1. When you jack up the car, raise it a bit more than what is needed to pull the flat tyre out. Remember, the stepney will have air in it, so it will be higher from the ground when compared to the flat tyre and rim. The pics in this guide show a tyre that has air, and not a punctured tyre.
  2. If there are people in the car, ask them to get out of the car before you jack it up. The car's balance could be seriously compromised by passengers in the car.
  3. Carry a torch with you---changing a tyre in pitch darkness is mighty tough. I now carry a compressor kit on my car as it has tubeless tyres---the kit also has a light attached.
Despite being a veteran in changing tyres, I'd still shell out 25 bucks to get someone to do it if I am lucky to find someone. This comes handy especially in hot climate (I remember getting swathed in sweat while changing a flat tyre in coastal Kerala). You'll feel the impact more if you get down from an AC car in humid weather.

However, you gotta know the tricks of the trade as you don't always find persons to help you out. Cheers!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2009, 06:48   #73
BHPian

Jack Positioning in Innova Pictures

Thought of helping out iraghava with some pictures Jack placement areas of Innova, will post the removal of spare next.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00497a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00498a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00499a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00507a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00509a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00510a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00512a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00513a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00514a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00515a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00518a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00523a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00524a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00528a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00535a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00537a.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc00538a.jpg  

drkumarmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2009, 14:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Thought of helping out iraghava with some pictures Jack placement areas of Innova, will post the removal of spare next.
In the rear tyre placement, would the vertical jack be able to be placed there if that side tyre is flat?
Old 1st June 2009, 15:09   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

In the rear tyre placement, would the vertical jack be able to be placed there if that side tyre is flat?
Hi,
The Jack shown is a Bottle Jack that comes with a Innova, however you must be enquiring regarding a Scissor Jack as shown in the image below which can be placed in front of the hollow area, along the length of that part of the chassis (where there are two holes next to each other).
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-scissor-jack.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks