Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 19:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Hi,
The Jack shown is a Bottle Jack that comes with a Innova, however you must be enquiring regarding a Scissor Jack as shown in the image below which can be placed in front of the hollow area, along the length of that part of the chassis (where there are two holes next to each other).
In the two+ years that I had an Innova, I never had a flat and so have never used it nor taken the stepney out.

I was referring to the bottle jack only.

Will the gap be sufficient with a flat tyre for it to go the place where it is used to raise the car? A similar jack in the Safari would work fine as long as there is no flat tyre. With a flat it was too tall to be fitted under the vehicle.
Old 1st June 2009, 20:36   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

In the two+ years that I had an Innova, I never had a flat and so have never used it nor taken the stepney out.

I was referring to the bottle jack only.

Will the gap be sufficient with a flat tyre for it to go the place where it is used to raise the car? A similar jack in the Safari would work fine as long as there is no flat tyre. With a flat it was too tall to be fitted under the vehicle.
It will easily fit, in case of doubt you can always take the jack inside horizontally & bring it to upright position at the hollow area which is quite deep & will get inside perfectly, actually I too never had a flat & it’s been 1year 9months, just did a all tyre rotation & discovered a new unheard of problem of the wheels being totally stuck & wouldn’t budge, the details of which I have posted in "Toyota Innova Diesel Ownership Report + Pete's box review EDIT - Now Done 50,000 kms".
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hi Doc,

Quote:
take the jack inside horizontally & bring it to upright position at the hollow area which is quite deep & will get inside perfectly,
Thanks. My be they have made that hollow area just for such a scenario.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
An urgent visit to the nearest health club / fitness center is required. No offence meant, but you need good muscle power to lift up a car.
Well it did not come to that, the problem was with the tire rod (tommy), it was not fitting the slot provided in the nut opener properly, as a result the purchase was not correct.

The tommy was replaced by M&M, now the operation is very smooth and does not require any special muscle power to lift the tyres.

Quote:
Thought of helping out iraghava with some pictures Jack placement areas of Innova, will post the removal of spare next.
This really helps in properly positioning the jack under my Scorpio too.

Like the scissor jacks which have a slit to accomodate the underskirting in the cars which prevent the jack from slipping.

The manufacturers providing the bottle jacks should have dedicated dimpled areas on the underbody to fit the jack head. (If they are already there I need guidence for my Scorpio)
Old 5th October 2009, 18:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

Yes, nice explanation and ofcourse nice photographs too
well guided and must to know information.
Thanks
Old 6th October 2009, 21:43   #81
BHPian

the things you learn at team-bhp! the only thing left to do now is buy a car and make use of my new skills
Old 6th December 2009, 12:28   #82
BHPian

The original in-boot tool-kit of my car contained the following:

1. A large, foldable, "Hazard Triangle" on a stand,
2. A screw-jack with a turning hook & metal rod,
3. A 'bit' for removing the wheel-nuts,
4. A toe-hook that can be screwed on to the slot in the front of the car,
5. A spare-wheel,

After replacing the stock rims and tyres with alloys and tubeless radials, I was handed over a new 'bit' for removing the wheel-nuts. Sometime later, I also replaced the standard screw jack with a Rs.1,000/- Hydraulic Bottle Jack I found for sale online. I was later told that a Hydraulic Bottle Jack always needs to be kept upright, or else air may enter its hydraulic system and render it useless.

My questions are:

1.What are the other 'items' that ought to be there in a standard in-boot tool-kit? Should I carry a battery-torch and a toe-rope also along?

2.Are there holders available for the tools in the boot, which can hold them correctly and firmly without any rattling? Alternatively, are standard, after-market boot-kits available in holders?
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:02   #83
BANNED

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!

Does anybody know of a Car-wash in Bangalore which would lift the vehicle correctly using the Jack points at the side of a vehicle instead of using any random points under the car ?

examples of how crudely the vehicle is lifted is attached below.

As a side note I like the jacks used at madhu’s off Richmond road when lifting the vehicle. I believe they got it from abroad. ( that what the bearded guy told me some months back ) and was the main reason I started going to madhus.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-1.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-2.jpg  

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-3.jpg  

Old 26th December 2012, 18:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!

When I go for the tyre alignment I've noticed that those guys use the jack bang in the middle of the beam/axle where it says, "Do not use jack on this beam" or something like that with a big yellow caution mark.

They do the same in every car, is that an acceptable practice? Where else are they supposed to use those jacks?

The jack that comes in my swift is designed to be used in that specific place marked for using jack, however the hydraulic jacks don't look that they are designed to be used at those places.
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:01   #85
BHPian

To add to the detailed guide, If you ever get the tire replaced when you are not present (as in the car was left at the garage and the mechanic drove it back home) , Please check before you go for a drive whether all the nuts.
I still vividly remember an incident when we went for a drive on NH4 in my Friends old Maruti Esteem .
The Car had just been returned after Servicing and specifically getting a puncture repaired. We were cruising at a speed of 80 KMPH when all of a sudden i noticed a nut flew from the front left tire(apparently it was not secured enough and had sheared off completely.
Luckily my friend managed to control the car though it was wobbling on two nuts as the moron mechanic had conveniently forgotten to screw the last one.
We were lucky that my friend who has a 2 Lakh kilometers of driving was in control, else we would have been history.
A safety check will always ensure you reach your destination whether it is a casual drive or a long drive.
Old 19th September 2013, 03:20   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
Does anybody know of a Car-wash in Bangalore which would lift the vehicle correctly using the Jack points at the side of a vehicle instead of using any random points under the car ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
When I go for the tyre alignment I've noticed that those guys use the jack bang in the middle of the beam/axle where it says, "Do not use jack on this beam" or something like that with a big yellow caution mark.

That is pure disaster to spoil the car and it's suspension. A wrong way to raise the car. The manufacturer has given specific points for lifting the car. It is better if that is followed. I don't know why the car wash/Wheel alignment guys or outside mechanics fail to understand the meaning of that sticker. Maruti or any company is not mad to add stickers for fun and increase their costs.

The sticker that Fine69 is talking about is seen in the picture below, circle yellow:

Pictorial Guide: How to change a flat tyre!-dsc02638.jpg

I had clicked this when my car was new.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th September 2013 at 03:23.
Old 30th January 2015, 18:33   #87
BHPian

I need some help/advice

I just spotted that my car has a flat tyre and I am on the way out for three days. Will it damage the tyre if I leave it as it is until I get back?
Old 30th January 2015, 18:36   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I need some help/advice

I just spotted that my car has a flat tyre and I am on the way out for three days. Will it damage the tyre if I leave it as it is until I get back?
Why not ask someone to change it to the spare tyre that you would be having. Won't take much time IMO!
Old 1st May 2015, 20:17   #89
BHPian

Mom's Polo highline (R15 alloys with R14 steel rim spare tyre) front left tyre got a flat while driving Thane Pune. She thought of getting it repaired on highway around Baner. The fellow said there were multiple punctures (8-10), mom called me after he had already done 8. I thought something is fishy and asked her to just get the flat tyre replaced with Stepney and come back to Thane, I will take care of the puncture here. The puncture repair guy in Thane has got a tube fixed in it and switched with the rear opposite tyre. Anyone else done this? Is it safe for highways, using a tube in tubeless tyre?
Next, the tyre is 185/60 R15 while the tube he installed is 175/80 R14. He says it will expand itself and won't cause a problem. You comments on this?
Old 1st May 2015, 20:32   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
The puncture repair guy in Thane has got a tube fixed in it and switched with the rear opposite tyre. Anyone else done this? Is it safe for highways, using a tube in tubeless tyre?

Next, the tyre is 185/60 R15 while the tube he installed is 175/80 R14. He says it will expand itself and won't cause a problem. You comments on this?
Overall diameter is same for both 185/60 R15 and 175/80 R14 stop it shouldn't be a problem for small trips but as you say there is highway commute, get a new tyre for that punctured wheel.

Place the new tyre at the rear and put the spare back in its place.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks