Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 15:09   #1
BHPian

Speed Sensor Malfunction

Hi There!.

I have a problem with the Fiesta 1.4 Petrol speedometer. It intermittently stops working and then automatically comes back on. Consequently the cars odometer traverses only 2/3 of the distance actually travelled.

Incidently, this issue started after i had given the car for routine servicing at the A.S.S. in mumbai.

The service advisor had mentioned that computer scanner had reported the VSS has gone bad and needs to be replaced. When I asked him for the specific DTC code he couldnt answer. The funny thing was that there no "check engine" light. Also there is no DTC reported when you cycle through the fiesta dashboard diagnostics.(undocumented features)

The car drives normal when the speedo is on and when the speedo is off. I suspect it is some loose contact and SA is simply out to make an extra buck.

Can someone post a picture of the VSS and associated wiring connections..
Old 28th March 2011, 12:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiesta 1.4 Petrol Speedometer/Vechicle Speed Sensor

lemme guess.
the speedo needle fluctuates, sometimes does a full round of the meter face, come back to zero and just stays there, and all the readings on the digital LCD blank out?

Last edited by mayankk : 28th March 2011 at 12:29.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:28   #3
BHPian

Re: Fiesta 1.4 Petrol Speedometer/Vechicle Speed Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
lemme guess.
the speedo needle fluctuates, sometimes does a full round of the meter face, come back to zero and just stays there, and all the readings on the digital LCD blank out?
Nothing like that. Everything works fine, expect intermitently the speedo drops to zero and then after a while it comes back up. The car functions normally during the time the speedo is down. Also the car does not register any DTC. It is most likely to be loose contact with wiring. hence wanted to reference image so that i can check it myself rather than depend on the A.S.S.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Speed Sensor Malfunction

oh ok.
was just being a smart alec, really.
anyhoos, i had THAT problem, turned out be loose wiring/points behind the dash.
pain to get to, though.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:28   #5
BHPian

cyberwhizs , did you get your speedometer issue fixed ?
I have a 1.4 petrol and facing the same problem. Service adviser says need to change the sensor costing ~2400Rs.
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:31   #6
BHPian

@denomathew, yes had to replace the VSS. It is located behind the engine, i first got it cleaned and refitted. it worked for a couple of days.

It was one wierd problem, on some days it used to work perfectly fine 200+ kms while on other days it would drop to zero at around 3 Kms of running.

Finally had to replace it, not 100% sure but i think it was around Rs 2000/1800, they will typically carge around 350 for vehicle diagnostics and another 150 for fitting it.

It is a localized part and you may get it outside.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Cyberwhizs, and Denomathew.

I too had a problem with the VSS, and i finally caught hold of a willing-to-talk, and "interested" engineer at ford's ASC.
Apparently, both of yours, and my problem are down to the VSS.
As per him:
an on-the-way-out VSS will do the following.
1. Cause fluctuations in the speedo(as happened for both of you).
2. Blank out the LCD(in my case), as it constantly sends out bad signals, the ECU decides, apparently, that something is wrong(as it is), and disregards the VSS altogether.Unfortunately, that is linked to your DTE/odo reading/tripmeter, so all you get is blanks on the LCD.
3. it will not throw up any DTCs.

I got mine replaced for 1770 bucks, labor im not sure, as it was clubbed with servicing.could be max 300 bucks(subtracted my earlier service labor cost from this bill.guesstimate.)

Cyberwhizs: have you seen the part outside of ford?im surprised.

cheerios.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:16   #8
BHPian

I got the VSS replaced in my fiesta. Will wait and see if issue is fixed.
Bill amount was 1995Rs(including ~200Rs labor charge). MRP on the box is 1784.76Rs.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:00   #9
BHPian

@mayankk. No I didnt/havent but it did have a local mumbai address printed on it. hence said that one 'may' possibly get it outside. I had enquired for the coolant bottle on a previous occasion, that was available albeit at the same cost as that at the ASC.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:06   #10
BHPian

Old thread, but presently facing the same issue with my 2009 fiesta.
I am taking her to the ASC(Metro Ford, Bangalore) tomorrow for Speed sensor replacement.
The funny thing is, the manager at the ASC says that ECU needs reprogramming whenever the sensor is replaced.
Was this followed for whoever faced this problem earlier?
Old 8th June 2013, 15:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrebellz View Post
Old thread, but presently facing the same issue with my 2009 fiesta.
I am taking her to the ASC(Metro Ford, Bangalore) tomorrow for Speed sensor replacement.
The funny thing is, the manager at the ASC says that ECU needs reprogramming whenever the sensor is replaced.
Was this followed for whoever faced this problem earlier?
I think he probably means resetting.
If he says reprogramming, tell him you'll do it yourself..
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 13:56   #12
BHPian

Speed Sensor Malfunction-image3897377367.jpg
Apologies for the unclear pic

The sensor has been replaced now.
Hopefully the problem is solved.

The IDS tool threw up a host of error codes for my car- 7 in all.
The last two relate to usage of an unprogrammed key. My remote fob key malfunctioned and that is also replaced now.

The highlighted Code refers to the vehicle speed sensor error, though not much explanation is given.

Any ideas on the other codes?
The service person said something about IAT, I don't know what it means.

He did say that the other codes would be taken care of by the vss replacement and they did disappear after sensor replacement.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:12   #13
BHPian

I have been facing exactly the same issue since last couple of months. Mine is a 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.4 ZXi (Petrol) with exactly the same symptoms. I took the car to the ASC, where they said the VSS might not have failed as the VSS failure symptoms also included an unresponsive accelerator. He checked the vehicle diagnostics by connecting to the OBD2 port, however did not find any error codes and everything showed fine.

The SE was insisting to change the VSS and see if it helps, but I agreed to drive and see for some more time and not change the VSS.

So the VSS is at fault and if it is changed, all would work fine again? Can you please confirm so that I can follow the steps
Old 4th January 2017, 22:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
they said the VSS might not have failed as the VSS failure symptoms also included an unresponsive accelerator. He checked the vehicle diagnostics by connecting to the OBD2 port, however did not find any error codes and everything showed fine.
VSS failure will result in the speedometer showing 0 or intermittently showing the right speed and the odometer not registering the distance travelled. I did not find any difference in the way the car drove - i.e. no drop in acceleration.

VSS failure might not register a DTC, do lookup other threads on how to see the DTC on the dashboard itself.

Other than the usual reasons, drop in acceleration can also happen if your wires have been chewed up by rodents or there is a loose connection with the MAF/MAP? sensor. Your engine will run rich consequently you will also get the smell of petrol on the outside if you rev the engine a bit.

Hope this helps.
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 21:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
VSS failure will result in the speedometer showing 0 or intermittently showing the right speed and the odometer not registering the distance travelled. I did not find any difference in the way the car drove - i.e. no drop in acceleration.
Absolutely!! Spot on. The symptoms match exactly and therefore now I am planning to get the VSS changed hoping to put an end to these problems of the ODO and speedo.

The VSS failure seems to be a common problem in the fiesta, wonder if other brand of cars also behave similarly when it comes to sensor failure, considering my car is 8 yrs old and has done just 60K Kms.

Most Viewed