Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2019, 14:58   #16

Speed Sensor Malfunction Of Zen Mpfi With Power Steering

My 2001 ZEN VXI MPFI has developed an unusual problem, of late the yellow warning [engine] light is ON and on driving over speeds of 80 kmph the power steering gets disconnected [ which is normal] and goes into manual mode BUT after the speed is reduced the Power steering does not kick in automatically.
After some time it gets activated by itself OR if the engine is switched off and restarted.

What could be the possible reasons and how do we fix it at a reasonable cost , I know visiting MASS would be the ideal solution but would cost more than I can afford [retired] So I need advice to have a reliable fix , I am located at Bangalore
Old 7th January 2019, 16:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Speed Sensor Malfunction Of Zen Mpfi With Power Steering

Is the speedometer working? I ask because of the reference to Vehicle Speed Sensor in the thread title.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Speed Sensor Malfunction Of Zen Mpfi With Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Jitender View Post
My 2001 ZEN VXI MPFI has developed an unusual problem, of late the yellow warning [engine] light is ON and on driving over speeds of 80 kmph the power steering gets disconnected [ which is normal] and goes into manual mode BUT after the speed is reduced the Power steering does not kick in automatically. After some time it gets activated by itself OR if the engine is switched off and restarted.
Power steering does not 'disconnect' above or below a particular speed. PS systems are mechanically coupled to the steering rack and pinion system and do not have the capability to disengage.

The amount of assist i.e. the power input by the electric motor or hydraulic power steering system varies by speed. At low speed assist is high which makes the steering easy to turn and the converse as the car picks up speed. Higher the assist the lesser the effort required to turn the steering.

Quote:
What could be the possible reasons and how do we fix it at a reasonable cost , I know visiting MASS would be the ideal solution but would cost more than I can afford [retired] So I need advice to have a reliable fix , I am located at Bangalore
You need to check:

a) Electrical connections including to and from the battery and charging system
b) Speed sensor. IIRC earlier Maruti models have the speed sensor fitted to the gearbox.
c) All connections to the power steering system whether electrical or hydraulic as the case may be.

There's probably a fault in one of these. That yellow engine check light alerts you to have the car checked by a dealer or experienced technician.

Do not ignore the caution. To save money instead of Maruti's service station do have the car checked by reputed third party garage or technicians in your city.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th January 2019 at 17:07.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 19:27   #19
BHPian

Re: Speed Sensor Malfunction

Please check if your speedometer is working. If the speedo cable is damaged then there will be similar symptoms to what you have mentioned.
I had this type of issue where in the check engine light was on and speedometer cable had a issue due to which power steering was not functioning.
You could also short the last coupler on the passenger side strut to get the MIL light blinking, it will show you a code by the number of times it blinks, this is the best way to find out what the exact issue is.
scorpian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 20:34   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Speed Sensor Malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
You could also short the last coupler on the passenger side strut to get the MIL light blinking, it will show you a code by the number of times it blinks, this is the best way to find out what the exact issue is.
+1 to that. Here is a detailed explanation of the method, that way, you'll be sure which component is the culprit.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4340761 (The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27)

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed