Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2011, 23:58   #16
BANNED

Re: Belt squeaking noise even after replacement

STARTING TROUBLE TROUBLES ME

The starting trouble remedy is unable to find, please help me, It takes more crank to start, not only in morning, but most times. as like clogged fuel line. and it tends to lower RPM and mostly engine dies once i take leg from accelerator to change gear (I made gymnastic by changing gear while pressing clutch and also raised accelerator and same time applied brake to not to hit others )

and when idle the RPM will be 800 , and suddenly it gets to 600 RPM and lessen than that the engine shudders and dies. I have checked fuel pump wire for loose contact, but it looks fine.

I have also noted coolant pipe which comes from thermostat coupling to fuel pump is leaking at both ends and also outlet pipes from fuel pump. I just notice today night, But will this make problem on starting and engine off?

Wierd thing is i drove around 11 + 11 kms this morning, but it was fine.
but the problem cropped up in evening just for 1 km ride that too in cold engine start. I am confused what is wrong.
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:14   #17
BHPian

There could be two logical explanations

1. the leaking hose is leaking coolant and during cold engine and cold fuel pump when the car is idling after starting its not circulating the previous hot coolant hence your fuel injection pump is not working in its optimum temprature range.

does the temprature gauge shows normal or does it go little over half mark?

2.Could be

your fuel injection pump requires servicing and re-calibration.

before going for the second solution check out the first solution.

And while at it just recheck your diesel filter again.

and please report on the situation.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 3rd April 2011 at 00:15.
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:18   #18
BANNED

temperature level remains the same, mostly 45% as before just below half mark, not more than half.

but will check filter again and report on monday
Old 4th April 2011, 21:18   #19
BANNED

Update: Found the fault and problem solved

Mechanic found which part does mischief of sudden low RPM and starting trouble, Its leaking fuel filter sensor, where the mechanic pumped diesel by hand through fuel filter pump, to my surprise the diesel was flowing from bottom sensor, actually the plastic thread got damaged, so the leak was. and the air was sucked in and diesel pressure was low due to leak.

replaced diesel filter and sensor

diesel filter cost - Rs.275
sensor fuel filter - Rs.1150
Labour - Rs.100

now its working fine with half crank start and normal constant RPM at idle.

To MODS : please edit title as SOLVED
Old 5th April 2011, 08:20   #20
BHPian

My friend is having similar problem with his indica v2. Lets see if your technique works out.
Old 27th January 2014, 07:38   #21
BHPian

Annoying squealing noise from timing belt. Help required.

This squealing noise cropped up ever since some stupid bloke at the service center messed around with the engine. And even after changing the timing belt couple of times or adjusting the belt tensioner, it has never really gone away. So every once in a while this problem haunts me when I start the engine. I have seen similar problem with other cars, some even worse(the noise in my case stops after a while but in some cases I have seen it to be permanent).

Isn't there any permanent solution to this problem?
Old 27th January 2014, 10:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Annoying squealing noise from timing belt. Help required.

I've noticed that timing belt noise changes for a cold engine and an engine at normal operating temperature. That would explain why it goes away in your case.

Have you tried getting the cylinder head reseated with a new gasket? I suspect there's a small alignment difference causing the noise.

Have you also been able to rule out the auxillary belts/equipment as the cause of the noise? Namely, the AC compressor belt, alternator belt, and water pump?

Finally, which car, and which service center?
Old 27th January 2014, 10:45   #23
BHPian

You have not mentioned which car make and variant is this? What is the ODO reading?
You must also throw some light on the service centre involved in carrying out this repair. Was it an authorized service centre or you got it done from the local market?

Quote:
even after changing the timing belt couple of times or adjusting the belt tensioner, it has never really gone away.
How many times have you changed the timing belt? Has this been done under warranty is not clear from your post. Has this been done from the same service station? What is the frequency of changing this e.g. how many kilometers, how many days etc.? Frequent change of timing belt seems quite unusual.

Quote:
I have seen similar problem with other cars, some even worse
Are these cars from the same car manufacturer. This looks like that all cars have similar issues, Have you spoken to other customers facing similar issues?

Quote:
Isn't there any permanent solution to this problem?
Please give complete details on the forum for the viewers to respond and suggest you a way out.
Old 27th January 2014, 10:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Question 1: is the vehicle an indica or similar?
if yes, it's normal. Get used to it.
Question 2: has the belt Pulley been changed?
Question 3: is the belt pulley aligned correctly?
Question 4: have you searched existing threads?
Apparently not. Here you go: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...placement.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th January 2014 at 10:59.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 06:27   #25
BHPian

Yes. I indeed missed out a couple of details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Have you tried getting the cylinder head reseated with a new gasket? I suspect there's a small alignment difference causing the noise.

Have you also been able to rule out the auxillary belts/equipment as the cause of the noise? Namely, the AC compressor belt, alternator belt, and water pump?

Finally, which car, and which service center?
A new gasket?...if nothing else fixes this problem, will get to that.

Everytime the timing belt is changed, the noise magically disappears.

A Chevy Tavera from Dhulichand Motors whose service center I will never go again. Their service were terrible last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
You have not mentioned which car make and variant is this? What is the ODO reading?
You must also throw some light on the service centre involved in carrying out this repair. Was it an authorized service centre or you got it done from the local market?

How many times have you changed the timing belt? Has this been done under warranty is not clear from your post. Has this been done from the same service station? What is the frequency of changing this e.g. how many kilometers, how many days etc.? Frequent change of timing belt seems quite unusual.

Are these cars from the same car manufacturer. This looks like that all cars have similar issues, Have you spoken to other customers facing similar issues?

Please give complete details on the forum for the viewers to respond and suggest you a way out.
Yes, so here's the details:
It's a 2009 Chevy Tavera Neo3 SS
Run 51000KM up till now. The problem has been cropping up since 30000KMs. belt had been changed thrice every 10000KMs from Dhulichand Motors. Last time I went for a regular oil change and a repaint on left quarter panel to get rid of some rust. All they did was just repaint it. No anti-rust coating or anything. The rust appeared again after about a month. Furthermore what was even more annoying was that they said it will be delivered at around 3pm. But I was among the last to leave at about 5 even after some employees had left just because they had forgot to clean the interior.

I have seen another Tavera on the road with prolonged noise. And judging from the service people, they seemed to be familiar with the problem like it's common.
I haven't met any other tavera owner who has the same problem. But a driver of a shuttle tavera told me it's a common disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Question 1: is the vehicle an indica or similar?
if yes, it's normal. Get used to it.
Question 2: has the belt Pulley been changed?
Question 3: is the belt pulley aligned correctly?
Question 4: have you searched existing threads?
Apparently not. Here you go: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...placement.html
It's a bit bigger than an indica although I have seen the same problem in indicas, a santro Xinng, even an old dezire.
I never got the chance to pour water as this only lasts for a couple of seconds.
And no the pulley belt has not been changed. Will see to it that it's in good condition and also the alignment.
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:33   #26
BHPian

Car - Ciaz petrol, 4 years old and barely under 20,000 kilometers run.

Hearing squealing noises since few days, which aren't going away despite the car warming up. I am not able to zero in on whether either the belt is at fault or pulleys or incorrect tension is causing the slipping of belt. Two functions associated with this belt - power steering and the water pump - are working noticeably harder. I conclude that the issue is with two pulleys.

The difficult part - this car is of a neighbor who has kept it with me while he's abroad. It's not that he will mind it if I replace everything. My apprehension is just that how can this system go wrong in such less time / usage.

Please guide.
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Car - Ciaz petrol, 4 years old and barely under 20,000 kilometers run.

Hearing squealing noises since few days, which aren't going away despite the car warming up. I am not able to zero in on whether either the belt is at fault or pulleys or incorrect tension is causing the slipping of belt. Two functions associated with this belt - power steering and the water pump - are working noticeably harder. I conclude that the issue is with two pulleys.
I am not quite sure how you drew that conclusion? If you somehow are able to determine the power steering and water pump are working harder that is the problem and they could be causing the squealing rather than the pulleys.

Belt squealing can be difficult to diagnose. First thing is to check the belt is tensioned properly. Try tightening it a bit more see if that helps. Secondthing you want to try and do is rule out the belt itself. Easiest way is to spray water on the belt. If it momentarily disappears it is most likely the belt itself.

You haven’t got very high mileage on this car, but it is 4 years old. Belts degrade over time, being exposed to heat/hot environment isn’t helping. Also, the fact that it has been driven only 5000 km a year could be part of the problem.

The best way to pinpoint the problem is my using a mechanics stethoscope or just a little tube and listen to all components.mit might not be the belt it could be a bearing.

I recently replaced the alternator on my Jeep Cherokee. I had a squealing coming from the engine. Diagnosed it as worn down brushes on the alternator. I replaced the alternator as it was 25 years old already only be faced with a peculiar squeal again. It looked like the AC compressor clutch bearing was the problem so I replaced that. Took me a long time figuring out what is was. The brand new alternator had a bad bearing. Once I had it replaced for another new one all was good.

So belt squealing can be the belt, but it could also be other parts of whatever it drives.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5368547

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Belt squealing can be difficult to diagnose. First thing is to check the belt is tensioned properly. Try tightening it a bit more see if that helps. Secondthing you want to try and do is rule out the belt itself. Easiest way is to spray water on the belt. If it momentarily disappears it is most likely the belt itself.

You haven’t got very high mileage on this car, but it is 4 years old. Belts degrade over time, being exposed to heat/hot environment isn’t helping. Also, the fact that it has been driven only 5000 km a year could be part of the problem.

So belt squealing can be the belt, but it could also be other parts of whatever it drives.

Jeroen
After a week's keen observation, this is only my observation and I have not shown the car to Maruti, I think there is something wrong with the cooling system of the car.

I get a smell of boiling water nearby the engine bay after shutting down the car. The coolant temperature is within the normal limits while driving the car as per scanner. There are no visible leakages of coolant, and the levels are also okay. Yesterday the engine was noticeably hot even half an hour after shutting down the car.

I have fixed an appointment with a Maruti authorized (not Maruti) service center.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks