Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 12:59   #1
BANNED

Power Windows Problem

Lancer's power window (driver side) switch was not working, all other windows were working, so there might not be fuse problem, so i removed the switch components, and seperated the circuit and connected with socket and tried it, but still was not working, i have attached the picture of the circuit and switch, marked in red. That switch is not working, no spring action, and there is trace of blown smoke around it, suspect that it got fried. so where can i source that switch alone and replace by soldering it?

How could i check the resistor near the switch, since it also looks smoky, i suspect it might should also be replaced, but i am sure i can get resistor of that value, but i am not sure whether i can get the switch. Also i have multimeter with me, but dont know how to check the resistor. please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Power Windows Problem-dsc01079.jpg  

Power Windows Problem-dsc01080.jpg  

rajivanoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2011, 13:21   #2
BHPian

re: Lancer : Power window circuit switch gone bust

I don't think you can get the switch alone unless you can find 1 from scrapped or accident rejects.Most probabely the contact plates inside the switch must have melt down or damaged , to check this you need to further disassemble the switch.

Are you sure that switch is faulty , motor in window regulator or its connectors may also be faulty. simply check by using multimeter in DC volt mode operating the switch if it is able to switch power to motor or not ? or drectly supply battery powewr to motor to confirm that motor and mechanical regulator is OK.
Old 27th March 2011, 14:57   #3
BHPian

Re: Lancer : Power window circuit switch gone bust

The same thing happened with my Accent. Checked with HASS, and was told that whole unit needed to be replaced at a cost of 6k. Wasn't convinced, checked with my local mech, and a friend who also owns a HASS, both times, was told the same. If you do get to fix this, please do post it here with pics.

Thanks
Old 27th March 2011, 20:46   #4
BANNED

I am sure, the switch is gone, since there is black smoke trace around it, and also, when operated, there is no spring action, and spark inside the switch.

I have two options, if i can get switch from electronic spare shop, i will solder it, directly.
If i get near match, then i think i can remove the old switch and change internal parts with new switch, of course it wont be perfect match. but have to try with tools like, anabond, fevi kwik, plastics etc. will let you know once i finish the work.

changing the whole module will be costly affair.
Old 27th March 2011, 21:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt if you can replace a single switch. My IKON's whole unit had to be replaced for a very nominal 1.3k.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2011, 22:33   #6
BHPian

If you look closely you can see that these switch can be open as they have locks on both sides. Using a desoldering gun carefully take out this switch from PCB and open the switch. Most probably it will have a broken contact metal surface which you can fix with some jugaad. Obviously you should do this if you can't find a new switch. You can esquire about this switch at any electronics repair shop. Also if the switch has any part no. printed on it, you can google that no. and order it online.
Old 28th March 2011, 09:40   #7
BANNED

@ hashim
yes i am planning to open the switch , if i did not get replacement, since i think, i can replace the internals with the new one from another switch from electronic shop. but with slight modifications, there is part number printed on it, but could not get any details about it online even when googled, the part no is 24YBD7. Will make a surgery on it, if i did not get new one.
Old 28th March 2011, 09:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

well, I am interested to know if you find a solution without changing the entire assembly. My Lancer's developed this problem, where I can't operate the power window for front passenger from driver console, though I can do the same from the passenger side switch.
Several years back I had a problem with the driver switch console with regards to one of the windows, ASC in Bangalore had somehow "repaired" my switch, and it was working for years.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:01   #9
BANNED

I did not get equivalent switch from electronic shops, i even asked for similar looking switch from shops (two way sliding miniature switch) but the shop employees are so dumb, they dont even hear what i say, as soon as i show this switch, they say it is not there.

I even tried to buy any similar purpose switch, so that i can open old switch and replace burnt contact terminals or any other thing and do jugad work, but not even a single shop employee listens.

I even enquired major service stations which service multi branded cars, they could not help, So finally i am going to try if A.S.S for lancer can help, by working Chip level electronics.

I have also contacted OMRON , chennai branch, which is regional office of OMRON Japan, which supplies all these automation products, but they say it is not available in india, it should come from japan, so i am going to mail Japan head office.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:31   #10
BHPian

@rajivanoj: Getting that switch is impossible, Had a similar problem with my lancers power window, the passenger side one. Had searched a lot of shops at lamington rd here in mumbai but could'nt get it. So visited the scrap yard and bought a used piece for around 700 bux. Id recommend you do the same, A new one would be pricey and hard to get.
Old 5th April 2011, 20:19   #11
BANNED

UPDATE: Problem solved

Before changing the switch controls, i thought of giving a try to check winder motor, so went to an electrician, the motor was not responding if they give direct power from battery, so thats the reason the power window circuit switch of driver door got heated and giving noise and the circuit board got heated due to reverse line from motor.

So i thought of removing motor ans service it. but as soon as loosened the nuts from door, the problem was found, the rope was stuck , after regularising and greasing the channels. it worked fine with my old switch. Then i assembled the switch immediately and re checked, its till now doing fine.

But i got another power window controller (whole set on driver door switch) from used car market, pudupet chennai. I got it through courier from my friend. that too was working, but its of no use for now.
rajivanoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 12:47   #12
BHPian

Corolla Power Windows: Service?

Hi
Have a six year old Corolla and have found that the driver's side window gets stuck intermittently and then after a push and prod, a bunch of prayers later, starts working again. Happened today, and before that about six months back.

Is it the switch (gets used the most, among the four) or motor?

Is there a DIY method of greasing and cleaning switches or spraying on some WD-40, to solve this niggle?

Would like to 'service' all the window mechanisms and switches before the rains hit us.

If not at home then at some competent place. Last option is to go to Toyota.

Please let me know soon!
Old 7th June 2012, 13:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Corolla Power Windows: Service?

By the way you have explained it the problems seems to be with the motor. Dont know anybody who does this kind of repair. You might try with any competent auto electrician.
Old 7th June 2012, 14:24   #14
BHPian

if pressing the switch does not result in any action/struggle/noise, then it is the motor gone/going bad.
if pressing the switch seems to make some movement but the glass fails to wind up/down, then it could be the winding mechanism.

easiest way is to replace the motor (in case motor is faulty, 90% of times) OR replace entire winding mechanism + motor. should be available easily in the range of 2000-4000 (motor + winding mechanism) depending upon the make. go to any good/trusted mechanic and the replacement is a 30-40 minute job or can be done as DIY with some patience.

get it done before rains hit, you don't want to be stuck with glass partly open and stuck.

to service all windows, you can open the door pads, greese the winding mechanism, and spray some WD40 along the rails for glass. also make sure to greese/lubricate door handles, and joints.

Last edited by infotech58 : 7th June 2012 at 14:28.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 15:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Most probably, it is the motor. If the window goes up with a struggle, try replacing the channels first.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed