Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 22:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to put the air filter back in!

Today i took out the air filter from my Baleno to clean it and took it home to blow clean it with the vaccum cleaner. I completely forgot to put it back and took the car out without the air filter in the evening and drove around for around 25kms. I have put back the filter now after i saw it lying around at my home. The roads are slighty dusty around my house due to some maintaince work going on. What are the consequences and what should i do to make sure nothing happened and there is no dirt inside? What are things i should check? I feel like kicking my self now.

P.S i was feeling happy to revv the car without the filter and it felt more responsive and i guess it was making a nice sound..but i still didnt stike me that the filter is not in when i was driving .

Last edited by heavy_foot : 27th March 2011 at 22:32.
Old 27th March 2011, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Forgot to put the air filter back in.

I don't think there would be any serious damage. Just keep driving as usual unless you feel any loss of power or jerking which could be as a result of dust blocking the air/fuel path. AFAIK, this is not such a serious issue at all, happens many times to many folks.
Old 27th March 2011, 23:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess changing the engine oil & oil filter may help in preventing any damage to the engine incase of foreign deposits which could have gotten lodged in but let the experts on the forum comment on the problem.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th March 2011 at 23:12.
Old 27th March 2011, 23:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Would Throttle body cleaning help? Is there a wire mesh or a grilll of sorts in the Baleno to stop any big particles from getting sucked inside the TB? i am running synthetic Mobil 1 which is around 500kms oil, will take a chace with the oil i think, cant afford to change it so quickly.
Old 28th March 2011, 07:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless it was really bad dusty road - say like off road - I'd say forget it. This is minor distance and that too around town at lower speeds with "little" dusty area.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
...I'd say forget it. This is minor distance and that too around town at lower speeds with "little" dusty area.
+1. No issues expected because of driving short distances without the air filter in place (I presume the filter box was not removed).
Old 28th March 2011, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes the filter box was in place. Not worrying much now. However the change in the characteristics have got me thinking. CAI plus cat con removal on the cards now
Old 28th March 2011, 11:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

SO, you've got a taste of the drug, eh?
as far as the checking up, just take a look at the TB to see if there are any deposits.
25kms wouldnt warrant much problems..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks