Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 13:50   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Will know over this weekends trip. However, on a couple of twisties in the city that I'm very familiar with, the rear felt better planted. In fact, if this works in the longer term, I'm ditching the performance suspension plan.
Nice informative thread GTO.

However, I don't think you should ditch your performance suspension plan. Since im sure a good set of coilovers will be infinitely better than these things, be it stability or handling.

Also you are going to upsize your rims so right now the springs make take the extra strain. But after upsizing the full suspension will be more strained, and the springs even more.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
2.xx K for the rear, 4.xx K for front & rear.
Hi,
So 1kxx for each. How much does each weigh?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th April 2011, 14:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NOTE : If you have the face-lift Civic with a fresh, stiffer rear, you probably don't need this as much as the older Civics running suspensions with over 20,000 kms on them.
After your weekend trip and when you get a better feel of this mod, could you drive a face-lift Civic and draw a comparison?
Old 5th April 2011, 20:05   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
...Planning to go for 1" autorunner. My car is running on tired and saggy 5 year old spring, will post before and after pics soon
Why don't you get your shock absorbers replaced first!!! That will make a huge difference (in terms of ride quality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Does it matter where you insert these vertically? It might not increase stiffness if placed at the bottom of the coil.
Darryl said that this is only the case for a few cars that have springs with different sized gaps between them.
Eg. Civic. Look at the pic closely, the gaps are smaller at the top.

cya
R
Old 5th April 2011, 20:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

I spoke with Daryll right now and I'm planning to get this couriered to Bangalore. Going in for 2 at the rear to start with. He mentioned that Rush had installed after cutting the rubber so that there is no overlap of rubber in the interest of softer ride. He recommends using it without cutting so that there is an overlap. And he said if I feel the ride to be overly stiff, remove, cut it short and reinsert without an overlap. I'm going to try this. Waiting for bank details from him to make an online transfer and then he couriers it over. He has recommended A1 garage in Wilson garden for installation.
I seem to be going the GTO way. Spent a load on audio, had the catcon removed which really made the car immensely driveable, now the mod for the suspension, and I've asked someone to get me the K&N Typhoon intake from US in May. Close to 5 years now and my love for the Civic keeps growing. Its one sweet car that touches my heart to this day.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 5th April 2011 at 20:16.
Old 5th April 2011, 20:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please explain how? The manufacturer of this product mentioned noise reduction a couple of times; I thought it was marketing faff and ignored it.

And wouldn't the facelift Civic have firmer dampers too?
Mechanical coil spring has spring rate only but elastomer has both spring and damping abilities. In this case its not damping the body movement but probably hi-frequency spring vibration. So **if** the spring is going into resonance for whatever reason, the autorunner will help dampen that.

2. yes typically that is something we can expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Agree with alto.

Regards
Sutripta
It is possible and the design is in my head. But however, it cannot be inserted from the side but the coil has to come off and it has to be slid down along the helix. Like GTO said, it becomes a custom part/mold for each car and hence drives up the cost.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th April 2011 at 21:10.
Old 6th April 2011, 01:16   #67
BHPian

Ok , i am not sure if this is my wonder solution so advice . I ve got a corolla with lowering stiffened springs from eibach but it was too low and the rear used to scrape with just one person and a bit soft for my liking ,front on the other hand -SUPERB. Since it was my only car and I ve got more than two friends to seat in the car I got the rear back to stock and front lowered , the rear bounces and i am too scared to push it after an oversteer moment at the imax corner. Under steer is almost eliminated with the front springs , but oversteer in a FWD scares me .
SO the adjuster to be used in the rear with stock springs making them harder OR in the lowering springs giving me more GC?
Old 6th April 2011, 06:40   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Ok , i am not sure if this is my wonder solution so advice . I ve got a corolla with lowering stiffened springs from eibach but it was too low and the rear used to scrape with just one person and a bit soft for my liking ,front on the other hand -SUPERB. Since it was my only car and I ve got more than two friends to seat in the car I got the rear back to stock and front lowered , the rear bounces and i am too scared to push it after an oversteer moment at the imax corner. Under steer is almost eliminated with the front springs , but oversteer in a FWD scares me .
SO the adjuster to be used in the rear with stock springs making them harder OR in the lowering springs giving me more GC?
Stick with the rear OEM springs. I have done the same with my Elantra. Handling is superb without compromising rear ride quality.
Old 6th April 2011, 06:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am going to wait for your report after 10,000 kms at least before I recommend this to friends. Sounds like a working product.

1self, camber cannot be corrected in modern cars.
Yes it can. One needs to go after-market though. (Camber Bolts).
Old 6th April 2011, 09:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Why don't you get your shock absorbers replaced first!!! That will make a huge difference (in terms of ride quality).
I would agree Rehaan but at this point I don't want to splurge upwards of 40K for new suspension, stock or after-market.
This is just an experiment I'm willing to do.

cheers
Old 6th April 2011, 09:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

It is really interesting that you went for it immediately .

However one point a cut spacer like this typically requires a shroud to keep the rubber from slipping off. I have used solid rubber & aluminium spacers that are pre-moulded to the diameter of the spring that have a lower chance of them slipping out.

It is a good choice to stay to a 1 inch spacer, however would have recommended a re-alignment of the tyres to correct the possible changes in camber.
Psycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2011, 09:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
It is really interesting that you went for it immediately .

However one point a cut spacer like this typically requires a shroud to keep the rubber from slipping off. I have used solid rubber & aluminium spacers that are pre-moulded to the diameter of the spring that have a lower chance of them slipping out.

It is a good choice to stay to a 1 inch spacer, however would have recommended a re-alignment of the tyres to correct the possible changes in camber.
Jump the gun seems to be my middle name.
I am confident that this seems to be a plausible solution to Civic's problem and also the fact that GTO got this done helps.

Yes, I plan to stick with 1" spacer and would surely get a alignment done immediately.

Thanks
Old 6th April 2011, 10:16   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
However, I don't think you should ditch your performance suspension plan. Since im sure a good set of coilovers will be infinitely better than these things, be it stability or handling.
No way. Have you been in a Civic with coilovers? I have, and I hate it! The ride gets bumpy and stiff as hell. I would never recommend coilovers for a street setup unless you drive on roads that are flatter than a table top.

Quote:
Yes it can. One needs to go after-market though. (Camber Bolts).
Vivek, I was talking without mods. A better alternative to Camber bolts (jugaad) is camber plates.

Quote:
A picture would help Keshav. I am picking up these for my friends Civic. He just moved back from coilovers to stock and has 17" wheels. We want to ensure the rear doesn't sag and foul with the tyres on full load.

Quote:
Still confused on how camber correction is done?
Old 6th April 2011, 10:26   #74
Senior - BHPian

GTO ,

I remember using something similar on the zen a few years ago to prevent the 165 tires from scraping the body in the rear when fully loaded.

Though this does prevent your suspension from bottoming ,the handling and braking does get affected when driving with no one in the rear .I removed it immediately after one 2000 km drive
Old 6th April 2011, 10:42   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But from engineering perspective, it is not a very good design.
Is there any risk? Can you please suggest improvements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Yes, I am sticking with 1" but since this thing costs so less I will install it at the front as well, and if the ride gets overtly stiff, I will remove it.
Then, at the front, install it at the bottom of the spring and not top. Darryl recommends this anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since im sure a good set of coilovers will be infinitely better than these things, be it stability or handling.
As Moral posted, coilovers are a poor (and VERY expensive) choice for Indian driving conditions. However, if & when I get a performance setup, it'll be Koni FSDs with springs that aren't too stiff.

Right now though, the more I'm driving with this new rear, the more I'm getting convinced on my existing setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
How much does each weigh?
Sorry, don't remember. @ Hiren : Can you please help out here once you get your adjusters in hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
After your weekend trip and when you get a better feel of this mod, could you drive a face-lift Civic and draw a comparison?
I'll drive a facelift when I can. But it still won't be an apples to apples comparo because:

- I have over 20 kilos of ICE at the back

- My car is into its 5th year now. Time itself would have made some suspension bits worn out. My suspension is past its prime.

That said, a facelift Civic will be undoubtedly SUPERIOR! Stiffer springs & dampers - from the factory - have my trust over such an after-market mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
He mentioned that Rush had installed after cutting the rubber so that there is no overlap of rubber in the interest of softer ride.
I did research on this, and concluded that cutting is better than overlapping. Don't overdo it please.

Quote:
I seem to be going the GTO way. Spent a load on audio, had the catcon removed which really made the car immensely driveable, now the mod for the suspension, and I've asked someone to get me the K&N Typhoon intake from US in May.
Glad I could be of help

Quote:
Close to 5 years now and my love for the Civic keeps growing. Its one sweet car that touches my heart to this day.
My car is now close to just how I'd want it. Poor low end torque & soft, bouncy rear have been taken care of. The single complaint - and the only one now - is the shallow boot.

Of course, that doesn't mean the modifications will stop though!

Quote:
It is really interesting that you went for it immediately
Thank you for your advice, Psycho.

Quote:
a cut spacer like this typically requires a shroud to keep the rubber from slipping off
Got a picture / drawing to share please? This Mod is so cheap and (on initial impressions) effective, that I want to stick with it for the time being. No going back to the saggy, droopy rear.

Quote:
however would have recommended a re-alignment of the tyres to correct the possible changes in camber.
Got the Jeep to work today, so cancelled alignment appointment. Will be getting it done soon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
He just moved back from coilovers to stock and has 17" wheels. We want to ensure the rear doesn't sag and foul with the tyres on full load.
Vikram has also got a boot full of ICE, right? Check. His car will be sagging even with no one onboard.

Quote:
Though this does prevent your suspension from bottoming ,the handling and braking does get affected when driving with no one in the rear .I removed it immediately after one 2000 km drive
Hi Satya, you are the second Zen owner speaking against this product. Thanks for the comments. Can you please elaborate the negatives over that 2,000 kms drive?

I'll know how it is on the highway only after this weekend. However, I wouldn't write it off based on the Zen experience because it's a different product on a different car.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2011 at 10:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks