Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2018, 10:20   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks

My 6.5 year old i20 just received a quote of around 12-14k for steering suspension repairs.

It started last night when the front suspension started making a lot of 'dhap dhap' noise. Took him to my FNG alok automobiles. Suman da, the owner, stated its the steering suspension. Has anyone else faced similar problems?
Old 25th January 2018, 11:51   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
My 6.5 year old i20 just received a quote of around 12-14k for steering suspension repairs.

It started last night when the front suspension started making a lot of 'dhap dhap' noise. Took him to my FNG alok automobiles. Suman da, the owner, stated its the steering suspension. Has anyone else faced similar problems?
'Steering suspension' includes
1. Rack
2. Lower arm
3. Tie rod.
4. Stabilizer rod.
5. Link road.
6. Strut
7. Bushes.

Which one are you referring to here.?
Old 25th January 2018, 14:44   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
'Steering suspension' includes
1. Rack
2. Lower arm
3. Tie rod.
4. Stabilizer rod.
5. Link road.
6. Strut
7. Bushes.

Which one are you referring to here.?
The following are being changed:
1. Stabilizer bush
2. Stabilizer link
3. Tie rod end

All the above including labour was quoted close to 11k. Car is at the workshop and probably will be delivered by evening.

Did you have this problem in your car as well ?
Old 26th January 2018, 10:28   #184
Senior - BHPian

I got my car back yesterday and the following were done:

1. Link stabilizer (2 pcs.): INR 3,700.00

2. Tie rod end (2 pcs.): INR 2,180.00

3. Stabilizer bush (2 pcs.): INR 490.00

4. Brake pads: INR 1,130.00

5. Suspension overhaul: INR 2,000.00

6. Steering overhaul: INR 1,800.00

7. Brake overhaul: INR 500.00

Total Bill: INR 11,800.00
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 19:13   #185
BHPian

I have a slightly odd problem with the volume on the OEM deck of my 2013 I20 Asta, earlier if I played it on 8/10, it was loud enough. Now to get that same volume, I've got to increase it to about 14/16.

Would anyone know what the problem is?

All the speakers work fine. In fact, I changed the front speakers after this happened, for reasons not connected to this issue. The Left/Right and Front/Rear balance are also all equally set.

It also does not matter what the source is, the volume has dropped quite a bit.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 7th August 2018, 20:02   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
I have a slightly odd problem with the volume on the OEM deck of my 2013 I20 Asta, earlier if I played it on 8/10, it was loud enough. Now to get that same volume, I've got to increase it to about 14/16.

All the speakers work fine. In fact, I changed the front speakers after this happened, for reasons not connected to this issue. The Left/Right and Front/Rear balance are also all equally set.

Check the equalizer setting. Bass/Treble/Balance etc. Must have gotten reset.
djjebs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 20:13   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
Check the equalizer setting. Bass/Treble/Balance etc. Must have gotten reset.
Checked that as well and it hasn't helped :(
Old 7th August 2018, 21:17   #188
BANNED

Quote:
All the speakers work fine. In fact, I changed the front speakers after this happened, for reasons not connected to this issue.
What speakers did you change to?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 10:28   #189
BHPian

Quote:

Are you playing songs via Bluetooth? If yes, then check the media on the phone volume after you're connected.

In my i20 Asta, the media volume tends to reset after I finish a call. I just disconnect/reconnect BT and it works fine. But that's really rare (1 out of 20 times) and more of a phone problem than a car problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

Now, the EPS motor, while turning the wheel any side, makes a noise similar to that of a bicycle chain and at a position just before either extreme lock positions, jumps towards the respective extreme lock position.

========

Can anyone please suggest a course of action ? I intend to get it replaced at my FNG since the Hyundai warranty is BS, but i don't want to replace it again after another 14k kms. Can someone from the mods or higher ups get Hyundai involved as I'm sure there would be other customers facing similar issues ?
@hrbheda: What's the update on this issue? Is the steering back to normal now?

Also, if you got it done at your FNG, what about parts? did you use an OEM motor or are there other (better) alternatives available?

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2018 at 08:51. Reason: Merging back to back posts
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 12:45   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What speakers did you change to?
Blaupunkt, I don't know the model number off hand. But the volume drop happened before I changed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Are you playing songs via Bluetooth? If yes, then check the media on the phone volume after you're connected.

In my i20 Asta, the media volume tends to reset after I finish a call. I just disconnect/reconnect BT and it works fine. But that's really rare (1 out of 20 times) and more of a phone problem than a car problem.
No, I never play any media off my phone. It's either a USB stick, FM or a CD (very rarely). I've tried multiple USB sticks and the problem is the same. :(

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th August 2018 at 13:21.
Old 8th August 2018, 14:17   #191
BHPian

Quote:

No, I never play any media off my phone. It's either a USB stick, FM or a CD (very rarely). I've tried multiple USB sticks and the problem is the same. :(
I would say take it to a Car Audio shop and ask them to connect another HU for demo purposes. If the speakers come alive, you know it's the HU causing the issue. Else, if they're still soft - it's probably the wiring that needs to be looked into.
Old 13th August 2018, 17:59   #192
BHPian

Quote:
@hrbheda: What's the update on this issue? Is the steering back to normal now?
Also, if you got it done at your FNG, what about parts? did you use an OEM motor or are there other (better) alternatives available?

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I replaced the EPS motor with an OEM replacement but got it done with my FNG.
AFAIK, there's not better alternatives. When i replaced my EPS motor, i kept the old one to ask around if it could be repaired.

It was possible but the welding that is done (one end of the brushes are welded to the contacts inside the casing ) needs to be tinkered with because that is what generally causes the issue.

New brushes (purely aftermarket-no warranty nothing) are available but i was not willing to trust a critical component like that.
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 22:54   #193
BHPian

Quote:

@JoshuaS: any update on this issue? Did you get it diagnosed? Has the volume dropped further?
Old 28th August 2018, 13:08   #194
BHPian

Quote:
@JoshuaS: any update on this issue? Did you get it diagnosed? Has the volume dropped further?
Thankfully, the volume has not dropped any further. I have not been able to check the cause of this and I'm thinking that I'll leave it be for now. Should it get any worse, then I'll get it checked. Thanks for asking!
Old 29th August 2018, 10:10   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully, the volume has not dropped any further. I have not been able to check the cause of this and I'm thinking that I'll leave it be for now. Should it get any worse, then I'll get it checked. Thanks for asking!
Great to hear that.

If (God forbid) you have to get it done, please post an update.

I saw this happen on my dad's '06 Verna. Never bothered with it then but I'm curious to know if it's a Hyundai thing to give OEM ICE's that last only 5-6 yrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks