Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 23:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Nothing you should do as your's is a updated firmware version. Firmware versions do changes for making improvements.
Thank you very much wildon. Do you have any idea what do M, S, D stand for?
Old 7th August 2011, 00:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again Wildon. I'm currently in the process of a full LED conversion on my i20baby. Will post pics after everything is done!

btw I was looking at this - Car Door Sill Scuff Plate for Hyundai i20 With Blue LED | eBay

And they said to connect it to interior lighting so that it lights up when doors open. Dunno how to do that!

btw please can you tell where do I need to put my hand under the dash to remove the hazard relay?

Last edited by sohail99 : 7th August 2011 at 00:09.
Old 7th August 2011, 00:31   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
where do I need to put my hand under the dash to remove the hazard relay?
Here is the procedure,

Its always safe to disconnect battery connection before doing any electrical repairs.

1. Remove the fuse box cover which is located just under the steering wheel.

Name:  1.gif
Views: 51279
Size:  5.2 KB

2. Remove the driver crash pad lower panel.

Name:  2.gif
Views: 48622
Size:  8.2 KB

3. Disconnect the connectors (A) from the crash pad lower panel.

Name:  3.gif
Views: 45552
Size:  6.7 KB

4. Pull out the flasher unit(A) from the relay box.

Name:  4.gif
Views: 46982
Size:  7.9 KB

Have a happy DIY.

Last edited by wildon : 7th August 2011 at 00:35.
wildon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 00:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

WHOA!! Thanks a lot sir!!

Just what I needed!
Old 15th August 2011, 11:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Finally got around to changing the relay!! And let me tell you guys, its not easy!!

+ there are a lot more screws which have to be opened, but thats no biggie! Your pics really helped me a lot! Thanks again Wildon!

Relay was stuck properly and wasn't ready to budge! I had to unscrew the whole relay/socket assembly to access the relay itself!

Again the whole thing is mounted with the relay! The relay socket is free, which is connected to the mounted relay!

Biggest problem is, that there's space for only one hand to go up there and really difficult to work with one hand.

Now my left hand, neck and back hurts like hell!

Here are a few pics I took!

My workplace -

Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks-20110814-19.11.52.jpg

Relay from afar(Pink label)

Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks-20110814-19.14.18.jpg

Close up

Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks-20110814-19.13.58.jpg

The new relay and the old relay

Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks-20110814-20.17.43.jpg

Putting back everything was a breeze. Now my LED indicator lights blink perfectly!!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 00:17   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 View Post
@ aa_asif: What is the cost of fitting the glove box lamp alone? (lamp cost + labour?)

Can I get it fitted in my i20 Magna (August 2010 model)?

It is said that the wiring is present already, but tried to locate it with my fingers in the empty slot but I didn't find nor felt any wiring.
Glove box lamp was for 118 and no labor cost, it was hardly a minute's job. Asta version had all the wiring in place for glovebox lamp. no clue about Magna. I am sure the answer is just a phone call away to one of these service centers..
aa_asif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 14:11   #52
BHPian

Hi Wildon,

Thanks for all the great tips, I've got a Dec 2010 Petrol Asta, been very happy with it so far, however not very happy with the engine, seems to run out of breath. Any suggestions as to how I can increase the power,performance,without any majot mods, cars has done 8900 km so far, due for its 2nd service at 10,000.

Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 13:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got around to changing the relay!!

LED indicator lights blink perfectly
Hey sohail,

Superb DIY. I saw the video you posted on this, looks amazing!!!
Always wanted this!

Some questions:-

1.Is there any difference(more/less) of intensity vis-a-vis to the regular OEM bulbs?

2.It seems that a relay specific for LED application is a must , what were the performance issues you faced while using the regular relay?

3.Did you replace the bulbs by yourself, or got them done somewhere?

4.Lastly and most importantly , can you provide the cost and source from where you procured these LED from?

A little homework has pointed towards Ebay hong kong ? any other options?
The bulb numbers seem to be P21 for the tail and the brake light, and WY5W for the yellow turn indicator, correct me if im wrong.

LED's in general are highly reliable but have you faced any issues till now, as I dont want to compromise on the safety aspect!

I was thinking of getting such an LED type bulb for the fog lamps(not installed yet) instead of the current DRL's ( crappy ones) that I already have(will remove them) would they aesthetically look OK to function as DRL's , I ask this as you have a fair Idea how bright these are ..

Thanks

Aakash
Old 26th August 2011, 13:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

1. High quality ones are definitely way brighter than incandescent bulbs! But are really expensive!!! (~$50 a pop )

2. When I was using LEDs on stock relay, since the LEDs were consuming very less power, the relay thought that the indicator bulbs have blown! Giving the characteristic hyperflash issue( which basically is meant to make the driver realize that one or more of the indicator bulbs is not working). So had to get a LED relay.

Great thing is, LED relay works great with incandescent bulbs too!

3. Did everything myself! I dont trust any mechanic or anyone with my baby! Collecting info on how-to, + general info on the working is all one needs!

4. I got them from a lot of places. Some from autolumination.com, some from superbrightleds.com etc. (Though internet reviews about autolumination are a bit towards the '-' side!)

haven't totaled the amount they cost me as a whole, yet!

Note that LEDs are not brighter than the stock halogen bulbs in the fog and headlight assembly. They can be used as DRLs in stock fog lamp assemblies though.

Here is a LED specific search on ebay.in - http://auto-parts.shop.ebay.in/Auto-...E:B:SS:IN:1150

I found loads of LEDs here too!

You can refer to this chart to find what sort of bases your bulbs use - http://www.autolumination.com/visual_bulb_finder.html

What car you working on btw?
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 22:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
1. High quality ones are definitely way brighter than incandescent bulbs! But are really expensive!!! (~$50 a pop )
What car you working on btw?
Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive reply!

Im working on a Swift (type 2)

The cost seems to be on the higher side if you total the tally for tail light reverse and turn indicator.

But I guess you have bought better quality ones as compared to the ones shipped from China through ebay.( usual price for a pair is about $12-15)

I was thinking of replacing my current DRL's which have partially conked off due to the elements of the environment .The H8 LED bulb does seem to be attractive, will give it a thought!

Still confused between this

2 x 14 LED Car Aux DRL Day Running White Light #CP028 | eBay

and the H8 LED bulb in the fog lamps , which also requires fitment of fog lamp reflectors as I dont have 'em currently.

Thanks !

GT
Old 29th August 2011, 17:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Huge info here buddies.This was news to me that many electronic functions are dissabled in cars introduced here in india.I was of the impression that only engines are detuned for india.
ram
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:00   #57

The central locking automatically enables after 30 sec in case you forgot to lock it with the key fob.

This feature was enabled when I bought the Sportz model, the demonstrator also showed me the feature of auto locking after 30 seconds... but suddenly I realised that somehow this is now disabled... any tips to get it enabled without going to the service station?
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:
4. I got them from a lot of places. Some from autolumination.com, some from superbrightleds.com etc. (Though internet reviews about autolumination are a bit towards the '-' side!)
Do they ship to India as well ?
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Very nice thread , didn't know quite a few of these features / add-ons exist for i20! Just wonder what prevents a manufacturer from enabling these features when handing over to the buyers, we are facing a similar problem with our Ventos too . Its pretty silly

Last edited by souravc : 2nd September 2011 at 21:07.
Old 29th September 2011, 15:17   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by brillian View Post
The central locking automatically enables after 30 sec in case you forgot to lock it with the key fob.

This feature was enabled when I bought the Sportz model, the demonstrator also showed me the feature of auto locking after 30 seconds... but suddenly I realised that somehow this is now disabled... any tips to get it enabled without going to the service station?
The service station ran a G-Scan and this was activated...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks