Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2006, 13:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tuned Vtec and Balenos!!!

The NHC Vtec is slow. It has a top whack of only 170khph, a Baleno can whip her there. The OHC Vtec could reach 190+
NHC Vtec - Poor Handling and it tends to lose control at high speed the rear tries to Overtake the front.
And For all you OHC Vtec freaks, L.K has prepared a OHC Vtec which has 170bhp @ .55bar boost. Does Wheel Spin like crazy. Can be tuned to 250BHP. 0 - 60 = 3.17secs and it reaches 100 in 6.56 secs. Quarter Mile = 14.85. Hopefully he wishes to extract 250BHP and thats means 0 - 100 in less then 5 secs and Quarter Mile in 11 secs.
Imagine the power to weight. And yes it a Vtec, who said it cant be turbo charged??

Evidently, you haven't seen the OHC on highways. Forget competing against a Baleno, around a corner, the front and rear are in a race of their own... and the rear always tries to overtake.

Also, please note the true top speed of the OHC Vtec is 185 kmph.

If you guys really want some fun, just go import a used B16B engine and put it in your Vtec. Forget turbo, go NA, take everyone's trip.

Even i was wondering the same. How come Idsi goes to 171?? But maybe Honda has limited the car. Also havenot they re calibrated the steering. Before it was even worst.

Quote:
And For all you OHC Vtec freaks, L.K has prepared a OHC Vtec which has 170bhp @ .55bar boost. Does Wheel Spin like crazy. Can be tuned to 250BHP. 0 - 60 = 3.17secs and it reaches 100 in 6.56 secs. Quarter Mile = 14.85. Hopefully he wishes to extract 250BHP and thats means 0 - 100 in less then 5 secs and Quarter Mile in 11 secs.
Imagine the power to weight. And yes it a Vtec, who said it cant be turbo charged??
This car covers 100Km in 100m and its going to be there at the drag(bengaluru)
Rev Limiter hits at 8500RPM, he has reprogrammed ECU. Vtec kicks in at 300RPM, to prevent wheel spin. Its uses a Garett GT 20 Turbo.

Wasnot there a thread before which car is faster, A vtec or a Baleno, people said Vtec but modified Baleno. Now you know who is the boss. OHC Vtec.

Whole article on page 129 OD, Jan issue. Worth a read for the Vtec freaks.

Audible blow off valve + K n N Conical Air Filter = Rs. 6500
Forged JE Pistons, re-programmed ECU = Rs. 65000
GT 20 Garett = Rs. 24000
Garett Intercooler = Rs. 18000
Fuel Pressure regulator = Rs. 8000
New Exhausts and plumbing Costs = Rs. 12,000
Total - 1 Lac 25 Thousand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
This car covers 100Km in 100m ...
How can it cover 100km in 100 metres? Or do you mean that it covers 100km in 100 minutes? That's only an average speed of 60kmh. It would take 5 hours from Chennai to Bangalore then!

Quote:
Wasnot there a thread before which car is faster, A vtec or a Baleno, people said Vtec but modified Baleno. Now you know who is the boss. OHC Vtec.
Look, we acknowledge that stock on stock, the Vtec is quicker. But a turbo is a whole different game.

It would be worth noting that the quickest official Baleno time at Jakkur is 15.11 seconds. Let's see by how much the T-tec beats that.

Quote:
How can it cover 100km in 100 metres? Or do you mean that it covers 100km in 100 minutes? That's only an average speed of 60kmh. It would take 5 hours from Chennai to Bangalore then!
He means 0-100kmph in 100mtrs. Stock Vtec takes around 168mtrs to hit 100kmph from standstill, in 9.92 secs.

With a 0-100 time of 6.56 secs, i would think that the T-tec would take around 113 mtrs.

Shan2nu

yeah i meant 100km/her in 100metres. Shantanu the car will take 100m and not 113 to reach 100Km/her. The car has had a blown engine, so for precaution its being run at 100 Octane Fuel. There is n odoubt ever that a Baleno will be blown away by the Vtec whether in modified form or stock. Yeah and engine transplant(like what Iceman did) is a totally different thing altogether.

Quote:
It would be worth noting that the quickest official Baleno time at Jakkur is 15.11 seconds.
Yeah this Vtec already goes in 14.85, with just 170 horses on tap which is expect to go to 250 after rising fuel pressure and installing DNS suspension. So you know Baleno is nothing in front of a OHC Vtec.

Quote:
Yeah and engine transplant(like what Iceman did) is a totally different thing altogether.
Well this is news all I thought that Iceman had on his ride was a upstroked 1.8 which was then brought back to stock 1.6 till the days he had it.

Quote:
Yeah this Vtec already goes in 14.85, with just 170 horses on tap which is expect to go to 250 after rising fuel pressure and installing DNS suspension. So you know Baleno is nothing in front of a OHC Vtec.
With a stock GT 20 Garett Turbo all you are going to have is extremely high mid range torque and bhp gains, yes you will spin out the wheels once the boost kicks in, however I will have to see the timing to believe the top end (unless there could be dyno charts for such numbers). As for the ecu being reprogrammed well to go higher you will have to reprogram it again, and you are going to go nowhere as you are close to the limits of the stock injectors.

As for the Baleno bit all I can say is that this is going to go on till someone actually does a Baleno with a turbo to show the numbers.

Pyscho, Leela claims it to be 170 now, but says it will easily do 11 secs quater mile and 250bhp. Its going to be at the Bangalore Drag(Speed Run) So that will clear everything. I doubt the current motor of the Baleno with a turbocharger can give this honda a run.

Quote:
Pyscho, Leela claims it to be 170 now, but says it will easily do 11 secs quater mile and 250bhp. Its going to be at the Bangalore Drag(Speed Run) So that will clear everything. I doubt the current motor of the Baleno with a turbocharger can give this honda a run.
I really would trust Leela with the programming and the turbo bits as he does know his builds, but 11secs for a 1/4 mile with fwd is someting i gotta see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
I really would trust Leela with the programming and the turbo bits as he does know his builds, but 11secs for a 1/4 mile with fwd is someting i gotta see.
I have seen this car personally at Leela's.... it is probably the fastest VTEC in India. Has Turbo, NOS, Freeflow, K&N intake, etc all. Leela's manager told me that the guy had blown close to 3.5 Lacs on the mods alone. The entire ECU was remapped and this could well be one of the best works of Leela. As for me, I think the 170 BHP figure includes the output with NOS. Hopefully we can see this car in the drag in Coimbatore on Jan 29th.

hey guys...welll busa firstly i had a 1.8 but it did not last fro long due to fuel problems...was running 1.6 from then on...did a time of 16.02secs with a broken engine which i am satisfied with...and it has whupped a number of vtecs which a lot of tbhpians have witnessed
turbo is a different ballgame...i dont believe anything unless i have seen it

esp...claims abt 1/4th mile ESTIMATED times have been going around for years...waiting to see one proven...all i can say is one guy proved it in his baleno at speedrun...wasn't me

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver

I have seen this car personally at Leela's.... it is probably the fastest VTEC in India. Has Turbo, NOS, Freeflow, K&N intake, etc all. Leela's manager told me that the guy had blown close to 3.5 Lacs on the mods alone. The entire ECU was remapped and this could well be one of the best works of Leela. As for me, I think the 170 BHP figure includes the output with NOS. Hopefully we can see this car in the drag in Coimbatore on Jan 29th.
bro isnt 3.5 lacs too much with that much money i can transplant the engine and go for mods and can easily get around 250 bhp one example is our tbhp member fordrocam who ha spend around 1.50 lacs and transplanted his 1.3 ohc engine to a 1.6 civic vtec engine which is 170 bhp stock and redlines at 8200 rpm and if he spends around 50 k more then he can reach upto 200 bhp
mods if i have said anything offensive
p.s this is my personal opinion no offence meant

Quote:
bro isnt 3.5 lacs too much with that much money i can transplant the engine and go for mods and can easily get around 250 bhp one example is our tbhp member fordrocam who ha spend around 1.50 lacs and transplanted his 1.3 ohc engine to a 1.6 civic vtec engine which is 170 bhp stock and redlines at 8200 rpm and if he spends around 50 k more then he can reach upto 200 bhp
Well, there are 2 ways of looking at it.

If your just looking at owning a fast car, then Rocams way is much easier, cheaper and reliable. No doubt, his car will be amazingly quick.

But, some people don't get enuf kicks with easy power. They want their cars to be considered technological marvels (even if they're not the fastest out there).

A bugatti Veyron produces 987bhp (1000ps) from a 8000cc W16, with the help of 4 Turbochargers. An F1 engine produces 900bhp from a 3200cc V10 without forced induction.

Both cars are marvels in their own respect but, we all know that the F1 engine is harder to build, more expensive and technologically advanced than the Veyron's.

The engine Rocam is using, is a marvel by itself. Producing 170bhp from a 1600cc engine (in NA form) is no walk in the park. It is no doubt, the better engine here. But, while Rocam just bought a ready made 170bhp engine, Leela had to actually tune a 106bhp one, to produce 170bhp.

All said n done, both cars are gonna set the roads on fire.

Shan2nu

Quote:
A bugatti Veyron produces 987bhp (1000ps) from a 8000cc W16, with the help of 4 Turbochargers. An F1 engine produces 900bhp from a 3200cc V10 without forced induction.

Both cars are marvels in their own respect but, we all know that the F1 engine is harder to build, more expensive and technologically advanced than the Veyron's.
Shantanu i agree about the F1 engine be more advanced but it has a very poor life. It lasts for 300 odd kms or so, whereas the buggatti lasts forever.

Honda City ZX brakes are not upto the mark, recently a ZX hit a Auto in city driving by braking and locking the wheels.

I just hope the Civic will have as good a driving experience like the OHC Vtec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Thats what i meant, when i said Rocams mods are more reliable. What Leela has achieved, is a stunning modification, which began with a stock 106bhp block.

Shan2nu
Firstly i would like to clarify that what we have done it cannot be called as Mods its just an engine swap which not an easy job either, its not as easy as it looks it has its own set of complication involved, its india first B16A Engine transplant in a Honda City.
I really appreciate work done by Leela my modifying OHC 1.5 Vtec to 170hp
but Just imagine how much effort,time & money has gone in to extract those 64HP from 1.5L OHC VTEC but just imagine if one puts same effort time & 3.5L worth of money on a B16A or B18C the outcum could have been anywhere between 300-350 hp.

Again it depends upon individual what outcome he wants from the engine if you ask me my aim is to have a RELIABLE, DAILY STREET DRIVEN car which will run on 93oct pump gas & when brought on track will do low 12 or 13sec quatermile time.
What we have got is a good foundation for modification ,real modification will begin now so far the car is as reliable as it has come from factory,K.S Motorsports has done an excellent job,
We are in a process of completing 1st stage modifcations without Opening the head and stock ECU and coming close to 200HP.
I hope mods dont delete this thread cause we are talking about 3 generations of Hondas Vtec Engine Family the B16, OHC 1.5 Vtec & NHC Vtec.

This is my personal opinion i dont intend to hurt/question anybody's capability, Pls No offence meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
But on a serious note, which generation engine is it? 5G-EG or 6G-EK? And which car is it off?
Thats hard to tell cause the dealer who removed the engine doesnt know himself ,all i know is that its from CIVIC & JDM 2nd Gen 97-98 ,It has a stamp "HM" which indicates that it was manufactured in Japan's Honda Sayama plant.
All USDM B16 are numbered like B16A1,B16A2,B16A3..... so its easy to find out from which car it has come

Last edited by Shan2nu : 15th January 2006 at 21:04.
Old 15th January 2006, 20:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tuned Vtecs and Balenos!!

Here u go, those who wanna talk "tuned" can have a blast.

Shan2nu
Old 15th January 2006, 21:00   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

ya , request u to put up all those posts that got deleted on the other thread ..
Old 15th January 2006, 21:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats all we needed... now we will also have war on the forum between Wolf and v1p3r...and whose car can do a better timing.....
Old 15th January 2006, 21:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly i would like to clarify that what we have done it cannot be called as Mods its just an engine swap which not an easy job either, its not as easy as it looks it has its own set of complication involved, its india first B16A Engine transplant in a Honda City.
I really appreciate work done by Leela my modifying OHC 1.5 Vtec to 170hp
but Just imagine how much effort,time & money has gone in to extract those 64HP from 1.5L OHC VTEC but just imagine if one puts same effort time & 3.5L worth of money on a B16A or B18C the outcum could have been anywhere between 300-350 hp.
Well, Rocam i agree that you've put in some serious work, getting the B16 engine and installing it into your car. But, i'm sure even you would agree, what Leela has done, needs that extra bit of effort.

I was just talking comparitively.

Shan2nu
Old 15th January 2006, 22:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Well, Rocam i agree that you've put in some serious work, getting the B16 engine and installing it into your car. But, i'm sure even you would agree, what Leela has done, needs that extra bit of effort.

I was just talking comparitively.

Shan2nu
Ya i do agree totally there's no doubt about it secondly it wont be fare to compare indian Tuned Vtec with an foreign engine.

Well our work has just started now since engine is now up & running fine trouble free we are doing only stage1 mods as of now & i tell u by next year expect some nice BHP figures.
Old 15th January 2006, 22:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

The best thing about a B-16 swap is that your tuner is Mr.Honda himself. cant get better than that.
Old 15th January 2006, 23:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Considering the Yamaha R1 manages 180bhp and less than 180 kgs to a q-mile time of approx 10 sec, and the T-tec manages "250" bhp and claims 11 secs, I'd like to see it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
now we will also have war on the forum between Wolf and v1p3r...and whose car can do a better timing.....
Maybe I haven't been clear enough. WOLF IS FASTER. HE IS A BETTER DRIVER. HIS CAR IS QUICKER.
Old 15th January 2006, 23:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Rocam,
can U elaborate on yr engine swap with details from engine sourcing to installing it , etc

And what does the tuner Mr. Honda mean ?
Old 15th January 2006, 23:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
The best thing about a B-16 swap is that your tuner is Mr.Honda himself. cant get better than that.
I didnt got what you wanted to say who is Mr.Honda???
Old 15th January 2006, 23:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And For all you OHC Vtec freaks, L.K has prepared a OHC Vtec which has 170bhp @ .55bar boost. Does Wheel Spin like crazy. Can be tuned to 250BHP. 0 - 60 = 3.17secs and it reaches 100 in 6.56 secs.
You mean about 8 psi boost. Is it turbo or supercharged? Was it dynoed?
Old 15th January 2006, 23:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
I didnt got what you wanted to say who is Mr.Honda???
Oh, I mean to say the engine is highly tuned from the factory itself, which will be more reliable and consistent than any after market tuner. I used the same analogy when I had to choose between an M3 or buying a 328 and modding it.

Last edited by Mpower : 15th January 2006 at 23:35.
Old 15th January 2006, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Considering the Yamaha R1 manages 180bhp and less than 180 kgs to a q-mile time of approx 10 sec, and the T-tec manages "250" bhp and claims 11 secs, I'd like to see it happen.
The yamaha r1 has about 174 true hp. The bike with almost 1:1 pwr to wt ratio is capable of 10sec runs easily. Only a few in india can achieve it. Moreover the bike finishes the run in 3 rd gear. If it was geared to finish the run in 5th or 6th the time would be roughly in the early 9s. or late 8s.If rider can keep the wheels down.!

Coming back to the vtec. 11sec with 250hp on a unmodifed bodyshell is impossible. U need atleast 1:2 pwr to weight to get to 11s.
Old 16th January 2006, 00:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
Rocam,
can U elaborate on yr engine swap with details from engine sourcing to installing it , etc

And what does the tuner Mr. Honda mean ?
Contact KS Motorsports for that & Mpower has already replied answer to 2nd question even i was confused for sometime what he was trying to say
Old 16th January 2006, 00:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

180 bhp at crank with ram-air assist are the company figures. The track tests peg it at around 160, actually.

Well, you are right about both the gearing and the rider skill. But we essentially agree that FWD + 250 hp + 1/4 mile is not = 11 sec. Unless it's downhill...

BTW, what driveshafts are being used on Leela's T-tec?

Last edited by v1p3r : 16th January 2006 at 00:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks