Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 13:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

How often should the transmission oil be changed?

Hey folks, couple of days back i got the transmission oil for my 6yr old Ford Ikon clocking 52k kms changed for the first time since i bought it. I bought the castrol grade 90 manual transmission oil as recommended by Ford service supervisor and got it done from my local garage. My local garage guy however recommended that i should change this kind of oil about every 10K kms. He mentioned that the one from Ford lasts way longer like 40-50K kms but this normal one is not for long usage.

Any recommendations from members here on how often it should be done?
Old 9th April 2011, 09:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: How often should the transmission oil be changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Go as per your service manual. In swift Dzire it is changed at 20 k kms intervals
Old 9th April 2011, 10:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks, couple of days back i got the transmission oil for my 6yr old Ford Ikon clocking 52k kms changed for the first time since i bought it. I bought the castrol grade 90 manual transmission oil as recommended by Ford service supervisor and got it done from my local garage. My local garage guy however recommended that i should change this kind of oil about every 10K kms. He mentioned that the one from Ford lasts way longer like 40-50K kms but this normal one is not for long usage.

20k is generally the suggested interval by manufacturers to the best of my knowledge.
Old 9th April 2011, 10:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Supertinu - Nowadays most cars are coming with synthetic transmission oil pre-filled from the factory. That stuff is very long lasting. (The pre-filled synthetic oil on the Verna CRDI, for example, is stated to be good for 80K kms!). Your local garage guy must have been referring to this oil when he said "The one from Ford lasts way longer".

As for normal mineral oils, the general service interval is 20K kms. But it would be good to consult your manual for the exact interval.
Old 9th April 2011, 10:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Transmission oils does not get contaminated by combustion gases, fuel and residues and neither does it see temperatures as high as engine oils. Thus it remains effective for longer periods of time. So there is no need to change it every 10000 kilometeres or everytime you change your engine oil. Do the transmission oil change at the recommended intervals as stated in your car user manual.
Old 9th April 2011, 18:51   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2011 at 18:06.
pratikraveesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th April 2011, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Nowadays most cars are coming with synthetic transmission oil pre-filled from the factory. That stuff is very long lasting. (The pre-filled synthetic oil on the Verna CRDI, for example, is stated to be good for 80K kms!).
Yup - the Getz / Verna CRDi come with synthetic oil from factory, which has a life of 80k. The manual specifies an interval of 30k, which is for he synthetic that they would fill it up with. And sourcing the synthetic gear oil that the rocket comes with is difficult :(
Old 9th April 2011, 21:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

For most manual transmissions,the drain interval is 20,000kms.

Transmission Oil loses its properties in extreme conditions caused by gears especially when the car is driven at high speeds and/or extended periods.

My experiences with my earlier car - the transmission oil looked great even after 25,000kms while the differential oil wasn't in good shape.The car was in great shape and also used very mildly.

Replacing at 10,000 kms is too frequent and burns an unnecessary hole in the pocket.
Old 10th April 2011, 00:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys for your feedback. I need to check the manual again to verify the interval of change. I could find the type of oil needed but didnt see the interval mentioned yet.

Nevertheless i think with the regular off the shelf grade 90 mineral type transmission oil i will stick to 20K interval.
Old 10th April 2011, 11:07   #10
SAS
BHPian

For most maruti cars it is 20k kms. I too stick with that. The max you could push it is around 30k, but I never tried that nor would recommend it on a mineral based oil. Gear oils typically have a life of 2 years max, not more. Plus the metal parts wearing down contaminates the gear oil. It appears blackish when you change it so definitely recommended to stick to 20k kms.
Old 10th April 2011, 19:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

For most petrol cars, the interval for changing transmission oil is 20K. Refer to your car's owner manual and you will know the correct recommended interval for changing the oil.
Old 11th April 2011, 00:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
For most maruti cars it is 20k kms. I too stick with that. The max you could push it is around 30k, but I never tried that nor would recommend it on a mineral based oil. Gear oils typically have a life of 2 years max, not more. Plus the metal parts wearing down contaminates the gear oil. It appears blackish when you change it so definitely recommended to stick to 20k kms.
The change interval is 20k or 2 years for my ALTO. I got it changed at 27K but it was still not black at all. The mechanic said that gear oil does not go black easily but should still be changed.
Old 11th April 2011, 02:05   #13
BHPian

Gentlemen,
For my Tata petrol car the recommended grade is Castrol Extreme Pressure EP-80. But in my neighborhood this grade is not available, though most of the shops stock EP-90 grade oil. May I use this later one or shall I visit the TASC for the recommended grade? Or is there any other synthetic oil, which I may safely use for my car (having manual transmission)?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 11th April 2011, 13:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
The change interval is 20k or 2 years for my ALTO. I got it changed at 27K but it was still not black at all. The mechanic said that gear oil does not go black easily but should still be changed.
Its not black because there is no carbon getting into the transmission. What you should check is not the color, but the oiliness or the lubricating capacity. Nevertheless, its better to change as per recommendations irrespective of condition.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
What you should check is not the color, but the oiliness or the lubricating capacity.
I presume you are pointing to Viscosity of the lubricant, am I correct?

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks