Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 11:40   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Xylo : Odometer showing distance traveled with air-conditioner

For Folks who own a Xylo, what is your observation regarding the AC odometer related to below?

I've seen that it does not indicate the travel distance with AC switch in 'Low/High' position , but rather the distance traveled while the AC compressor was engaged. For instance if the compressor kicked in for 1 km during a 2 km run, 1 km is what it would indicate.

Is this understanding accurate?
Old 11th April 2011, 12:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo : Odometer showing distance traveled with air-conditioner

Wow? Now is that a new system? May be catch how many kilometres your driver had the a/c switched on?

What happens when you switch off A//c after say 120kms? Does the odo (trip odo I presume) continue to 121,122... or it slips to 0 and continue from there?
Old 11th April 2011, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
For Folks who own a Xylo, what is your observation regarding the AC odometer related to below?

I've seen that it does not indicate the travel distance with AC switch in 'Low/High' position , but rather the distance traveled while the AC compressor was engaged. For instance if the compressor kicked in for 1 km during a 2 km run, 1 km is what it would indicate.

Is this understanding accurate?
Yeah, it shows the reading only when the compressor switches on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Wow? Now is that a new system? May be catch how many kilometres your driver had the a/c switched on?

What happens when you switch off A//c after say 120kms? Does the odo (trip odo I presume) continue to 121,122... or it slips to 0 and continue from there?
There are two readings. One shows the total kms covered and the other shows total kms covered with aircon on. When you switch off the aircon, only normal reading appears and ac reading stays at last km covered.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I presume it might prove for useful taxi vehicles, as the charge with A/C and without A/C are different, and the ODO gives accurate distance 'with' AC. But, not sure why they linked it directly to the compressor and not to the AC switch.

Or does the compressor need some kind of major maintenance/change after xx number of kms?.

hmm.. now, one needs to look at the AC odo along with the regualr while buying the car?. Pretty transparent little gizmo.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Exactly. When I saw this feature in Xylo, I had asked the same question to my friend in Mahindra (who worked on Xylo project at a decent position). He told me Mahindras had this thing in mind while putting up this feature. Reason ? During the QFD (voice of customer clinic) this issue was raised by many fleet operators. They were interested in knowing that how many kms the car was driven with 'AC On' so they can keep a tab on their 'smart' drivers.

Normally when a customer asks for an AC cab, he may or may not use the AC for the whole trip, depending on the climate and time of the day. Also, the cabs are booked by corporations, particularly in the class of Xylo, and they book AC cab by default. The final passanger may not need the AC at all. For example, early morning/ late evening pickup/ drop from/ to airport. In such cases, the fleet operators found difficult to monitor the actual AC usage and thus the mileage.

I didn't asked about the resetting, worth a question to ask . Will post the update when I get the answer.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:16   #6
BHPian

While purchasing my Xylo, I thought it was pretty nifty feature to indicate one's running with X% AC usage.

It's not possible since the current reading is not related to distance travelled. Also on the 'high' setting, it will move a little faster.

Also recollect reading that the AC odo will keep ticking even if the vehicle is stationary (1 km for every so many minutes of idling). So there is some intelligent logic built in as well.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's a pretty nifty little feature there. Here we can see the pains that Mahindra has gone through to make sure that the car delivers on everything required from it. Especially from a fleet owners point, this is a very useful feature to keep a check on their drivers. Kudos to Mahindra for delivering on all aspects and churning out a car which fulfills requirements to a T.

Had no clue on this feature before you pointed it out. Thanks.

Drive Safe!
Old 11th April 2011, 15:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

wow this is very interesting. For the first time i am hearing about this kind of feature in any vehicle. Though i think the main use for this is for the fleet operators, but it surely will come in handy for A/C maintenance guys at Mahindra to figure out the amount of wear n tear HVAC has under gone.

Thanks for sharing this bit of info Mmxylorider
Old 13th April 2011, 07:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo : Odometer showing distance traveled with air-conditioner

Nifty perhaps but totally useless to a guy like me who never swiches off the AC! Seriously, with climate control, who wants to keep the windows open and allow all that dust and pollution in?!!
Old 13th April 2011, 10:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Since the reading is only when the AC Compressor is ON, this may not be a favourable one for the taxi owner as usually irrespective of the compressor cutting IN/OUT the charges is for the KMs whenever the AC switch is ON.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:22   #11
BHPian

Hi All,

most of my driving is with AC ON and I kept observing the "Total ODO KM" and the "AC Number" tab. the difference was more than double; indicating that I have driven without AC for ~50% of the time ! So few months back, I queried the M&M SA. after checking, they verified that "AC number" is the TIME (not KMs) when the AC is ON i.e. Minutes of AC switched ON. I also checked, vehicle standing with AC ON, that number incremented by 1 per minute. So, a 5 minute drive on low speed and similar on high speed would cover different KMs, but that number would increase only by 5 (min).

I have been lazy to read the manual for this bit. other users could check and comment.

thanks,

Pranav
Old 26th June 2011, 13:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

We too own a Xylo E8 ABS (Nov 2009) which has crossed over 98,000kms (Private Use).

The Owner's Manual says that When the AC is switched on and the Vehicle is Stationary, the AC Odo increases by 1 km every 1 minute.
So for the Xylos running 100% AC, the AC Odo might cross the Actual Odo (since the AC Odo increases even when the car is idling at Signals or Railway crossings).
Old 26th June 2011, 19:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
most of my driving is with AC ON and I kept observing the "Total ODO KM" and the "AC Number" tab. the difference was more than double; indicating that I have driven without AC for ~50% of the time !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Since the reading is only when the AC Compressor is ON, this may not be a favourable one for the taxi owner as usually irrespective of the compressor cutting IN/OUT the charges is for the KMs whenever the AC switch is ON.
^^^That should explain the difference in mileage between actual and AC odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
So few months back, I queried the M&M SA. after checking, they verified that "AC number" is the TIME (not KMs) when the AC is ON i.e. Minutes of AC switched ON. I also checked, vehicle standing with AC ON, that number incremented by 1 per minute. So, a 5 minute drive on low speed and similar on high speed would cover different KMs, but that number would increase only by 5 (min).
This is interesting. Although it serves no useful purpose to track the time usage of AC and I believe the SA is probably just guessing. While being stationary, the 1 km/minute is a documented fact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks