Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 22:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Front Suspension failure in Chevy Beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Good to know that, your pictures were very clear and i dont see any impact mark on the lower arm. Unless a monster managed to putt the ball joint out using a crow bar, from under the earth or something
That was a part of my arguement too!
Old 16th April 2011, 00:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Is the sound after you come back from a drive and park your new car?
If so it could be the sound of the expanded metals contracting or something like that. It happens when the car is new and disappears after a few months. Used to happen in our Santro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sounds like its coming from the drive shaft. Please check if there are drive shaft boot installed at all. . On both sides.
I think you mean the sound of the exhaust cooling? Here I doubt its the case.
The sound normally comes when I am taking full turn and that is anytime anywhere, not specific to parking after drive etc. The sound is just around the full turn lock, and repeats if I turn steering wheel back & again around full turn. Since I've noticed this sound even when I take the car out of parking, so definitely not related to some thermal expansion and contraction. Also, if that would have been the case, then that must have been reported on the Chevy Beat thread. I'll search again, in case I missed out.

Therefore, I suspect some linkage issues. I am having a 'date' with Sundaram Motors on 22 Apr. Till that time I'm extra careful while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Finally they agreed to perform every repair under warranty. But the root cause they say, is a mystery. We insisted on them to find that out first for the sake of other customers.

Their arguement was " We have 60000+ Beats on road in India and no single case has been reported like this so far. We had checked if any complaints from all the Beats from this batch for the said problem. Also we checked all other models from the month to check any line issue" They were repeating the same again.

I hinted I am a T BHPian! Next reply was ' OK, Let's talk what has to happen. If you are not agreeing for insurance claim, we agree for warranty replacement!' Hail T-BHP!
They had no choice specially after you showed your connections with Team BHP. Good to know they are understanding the 'truthful' might of Team BHP and may even be following closely. Ask your friend to join here, I know its not that easy to please the mods, he can definitely try. Also, you can order Team-BHP stickers on his behalf and stick them to the car. Like a constant reminder to those idiots and sort of magnet for fellow BHPians.

My car already flaunts my association with this prestigious team with two stickers on back, one more coming up on front this sunday (hope some BHPians spot my car )
Old 17th April 2011, 02:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

Therefore, I suspect some linkage issues. I am having a 'date' with Sundaram Motors on 22 Apr. Till that time I'm extra careful while driving.
As I mentioned before, I suspect the drive shaft. But for a new car, there is no chance it should fail. That's why I mentioned to check if drive shaft boot is intact.

Please check drive shaft boot and confirm.
Old 17th April 2011, 10:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I was harping to my close friend to buy a Beat just yesterday. But somehow missed to spot this thread for all these days. I am going to say a firm to him - not because of the quality issue - but because of the great technical people behind the reply..!!
Old 18th April 2011, 01:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Now, after reading this, I find that many of us tend to write things purely out of emotional outburst rather than based on facts. How many here who have written whatever facts here really know what they are talking about (Some do have valid facts as well) and can prove that what they are saying will and should never happen or happen in a car. I would be inclined to go with 'our' team bhpian here and say, he is a victim and the car is a lemon, disaster, the response mail from GM are from a bunch of idiots and so on, and this cannot happen in a car and so on. But really!!!

How often does one care to analyze who is actually at fault. Cars, are thoroughly quality checked for all aspects before they come out, and no manufacturer intentionally wants his product to have a defect. They do in some cases, which is unfortunate. But that does not mean cars can take a hefty beating. They WILL break down. No offense, to the person who wrote this thread. But does any really know if there was no deep impact, or improper driving, bad driving style, abuse or so on by the driver of the car. No. And neither will the person state it here. Right?

We have seen several cases where abuse has lead to break down. On this forum it self we saw how a person who was used to an auto box, messed up his new manual i10 box. A video of a guy frying an engine of a brand new ferrari (Now all Ferrari owners can scream bloody murder for this) and several examples can be found on the internet / real life incidents where damage has been caused due to our bad driving style

Hence, my point is. Do not jump to give an answer, which can be misleading to other people or prospective buyers of a car. And lets not use this forum to start some kind of a cult, which I hope is not the aim. And just because we say one is from teambhp, no one is going to budge and is the same as we saying the famous line 'do you know who my father is....'

Also, when you write things like, 'just this morning I was driving at over 120 etc', this can be held up against the person, as a potential rash driver. 120 is considered above average speed by normal Indian standards.

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 18th April 2011 at 01:29.
thedreamcatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2011, 08:35   #51
BHPian

Dreamcatcher,

I admit, amidst the shock and awe I was explicit in my writing.

But I am very sure that the car has not been abused and badly driven, that is why I wanted to fight. Even GM has agreed the reason for the failure is not confirmed yet. They could not prove the abuse is the reason.

As 'Do you know who my father is' attitude, I feel I had overdone it. I understand this is not a cult forum. But that was not my intention.

No offence. Thanks.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
But does any really know if there was no deep impact, or improper driving, bad driving style, abuse or so on by the driver of the car. No. And neither will the person state it here. Right?

We have seen several cases where abuse has lead to break down. On this forum it self we saw how a person who was used to an auto box, messed up his new manual i10 box. A video of a guy frying an engine of a brand new ferrari (Now all Ferrari owners can scream bloody murder for this) and several examples can be found on the internet / real life incidents where damage has been caused due to our bad driving style
Also, when you write things like, 'just this morning I was driving at over 120 etc', this can be held up against the person, as a potential rash driver. 120 is considered above average speed by normal Indian standards.
thedreamcatcher I am on the same lines as you regarding how to handle, drive, take care of vehicles (and for that matter any equipment, machine or even furniture). I somehow feel that these 'things' help us in the time of need and we must give 'them' their share of 'respect'. (I've used quotes as someone may point out that these are humans). And for this 'care' feeling, I get weird and "are you nuts ?" kind of looks from my sister and wife (yes, sometimes I go overboard in cautioning them). My motto is 'take care of them, they'll take care of you'. And thats what I normally assume that other people are following.

Yes, I sometimes need to cross the limits, but that too only for validation and testing (for cars) but never for fun (not even test cars).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
And lets not use this forum to start some kind of a cult, which I hope is not the aim. And just because we say one is from teambhp, no one is going to budge and is the same as we saying the famous line 'do you know who my father is....'
I'll always 'use' the name of 'Team-BHP', never to boast off or to cover my wrong doings, but to tell those 'techincal' fellows that I may be a layman, I have guidance available from thousands of fellow BHPians who definitely know the techicalities.

Specific to my case, if any in future, I have sufficient professional background to forewarn 'the technical experts' at dealerships if they think of fooling around with me.
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on this ? What is the final outcome ?
Old 26th April 2011, 22:27   #54
BHPian

We are waiting for the vehicle to be handed over to us.

Hope to get it on next week.

Will update once my friend gets back the vehicle.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are waiting for the vehicle to be handed over to us.

Hope to get it on next week.

Will update once my friend gets back the vehicle.
Last friday I was at Sundaram Motors for 1 Month/1000kms reassurance check. Saw this vehicle on jack, took photograph and even glanced at the job sheet. There was one Statistical Quality/ Process contol book and a car cleaning brush lying in the rear seat.

I asked the service manager about the car, he said "Accident Vehicle". I double checked with him "whether the accident damaged the LCA and ball joint or the faulty ball joint caused this accident". The service manager preferred to keep mum.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 29th April 2011 at 15:19. Reason: spelling correction
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 13:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Last friday I was at Sundaram Motors for 1 Month/1000kms reassurance check. Saw this vehicle on jack, took photograph and even glanced at the job sheet. There was one Statistical Quality/ Process contol book and a car cleaning brush lying in the rear seat.

I asked the service manager about the car, he said "Accident Vehicle". I double checked with him "whether the accident damaged the LCA and ball joint or the faulty ball joint caused this accident". The service manager preferred to keep mum.
Thanks Autonoob.

My friend has been informed that all the spares have arrived and in a week's time he can take the delivery. I keep posting here the updates.
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Great do keep us informed on the situation. It would be interesting to see how Chevy handles the whole deal.
Old 19th May 2011, 08:15   #58
BHPian

Folks,

Here is the update from our side.

After so many follow ups and numerous visits to the dealership by my friend, the vehicle which was originally promised to be delivered on 22nd of April, was delivered on 14th of May, month after the accident.

Meanwhile my friend, after pressing requests, was provided with a not so good Chevy Spark as donor vehicle.

The list of parts replaced under warranty were,

Entire front drive axle,
Complete suspension kit (RH side),
Front lamp (both sides)
Steering Box,
Right side fender,
Right wheel,
Right tire.

The experience has been a bad one for my friend, who got irritated due to the numerous phone calls he'd made to get his vehicle back. Also he was pissed off due to the poor quality and mileage of the Donor car (Chevy Spark) he was supported with.

He had demanded a complete quality check and certificate of approval for safe operation of his car from GM, which they continue to drag to provide.

This morning I was talking to him, excited about the TDCI or VCDI beat which is around the corner, for which he wrote it off saying 'NEVER GO FOR IT'

He says the service center experience is horrible and wished he'd not had purchased his car from there. Once bitten twice shy.

You folks think any other thing could have been / could be done by my friend on this regard?

Regards

RangaRX
Old 25th May 2011, 19:43   #59
BHPian

Quote:
He had demanded a complete quality check and certificate of approval for safe operation of his car from GM, which they continue to drag to provide.
Good to know that GM India has replaced the parts under warranty. It also implies that the company has admitted that the fault was with the car itself. Hence the car should be checked thoroughly and approved for road worthiness. Considering the seriousness of the problem, I suggest you to get the test done by the company engineers on a priority basis.
Please keep us updated.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:15   #60
BHPian

As I am planning to buy BEAT, i just want to know the update on this issue, as this would help the prospective buyers like me to take a decision. Have you received the letter / certificate from them?

Thanks

Last edited by prasana_19 : 27th June 2011 at 12:16. Reason: Wrongly quoted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks