Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is your Skoda Reliable?
I have had No Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 43 51.81%
I have had Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 10 12.05%
I have had No Major Issues with my DSG Skoda. 13 15.66%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 6 speed DSG 4 4.82%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 7 speed DSG. 13 15.66%
I have had Major Issues with my DSG Skoda other than the DSG. 5 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 11:22   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Woes And The Ghost Of The Mechatronics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
.....But I even faced a problem with the Accord in terms of buying experience and A.S.S primarily due to the attitude of the dealership....
That is why things like JDPower survey and satisfaction index etc. come in to play. Why build a brand if customer satisfaction is not met?
Old 28th April 2011, 18:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@GTO : How does one force a recall? How and why did Maruti recently ([url=http://www.google.com/search?q=vehicle+recall+maruti]vehicle recall maruti
You cannot. Warranty is the only thing that can legally help you. lemon law maybe.

But in the US, only if its a safety issue the govt watchdog called NHTSA can force a recall. (eg. Firestone, Toyota)
Old 30th April 2011, 20:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

I cant believe this! I got a call from Autobhan saying that the part has arrived but I will have to pay for it?? Why i asked when you took it away citing that it will be done under warranty FOC, they answer well the company has asked us not to replace it. It seems when one buys a car, not directly from Skoda (one cant coz they are tied up with Mahindra First Choice to buy their cars directly) the warranty is not valid...HUH?? Thats the most absurd reason i heard. I have been so upset that i sold the Laura. Yes tha Laura i so loved is sold. I got the Mechatronics repaired. The Solenoids were replaced and the car ram perfectly but for how long is the question. Also ive had problems with the power memory drivers side seat controls. I just bought it locally and replaced it coz i didnt want the hassle.

A friend from Skoda told me "Make some noise and threaten to go real high up to the top they will replace it"

Another guy said puruse the matter wit higher ups and they will replace it...I mean what the heck man. I spend my hard earned money on a sub standard product which the company knows is an issue? They should garland me for buying three of theor cars and considering (now NEVER-EVER) a fourth and they give me this sad treatment and they met out some half baked reason for this.

Im not paying 1.5 lakhs for this for sure. Skoda your loss youve just lost a huge fan..sorry Ex fan and im not advising anyone for a Skoda ever again. Whats more, whe this cars repaired its going up for immediate sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
About time Skoda learnt its lessons. When DSG was launched, automotive press went gaga. In their usual exaggeratory narration, they were raving how DSG is future and how CVTs and normal AT boxes are stone-age. Of course I took that with a pinch of salt, because everything new excites them and is always recommended over the exsiting. It is their job to push new products. They don't pay for it so how does it matter to them? They preach others to buy all kinds of cars but I am sure when they have to put down their own money on cars, they would go buy a proven car.

Also, these press guys always took potshots at Tata/Mahindra cars calling them infradig. Somebody should ask these guys what they think of DSG now. I am sure they will say it is a rare occurrence.
If the press gets involved Skoda will come to its knees. Ill help in anyway i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I still wonder why VW discontinued the DSG box in Jetta while skoda sold them in Laura and superb. Did they know the Box had a problem and let Skoda brand take the beating? or people didnt prefer the DSG in Jetta?
Let me tell you, as long as the DSG works, its fantastic but the fact is it doesnt work!! Its a very expensive box as compared to the old style auto box but IT DOES NOT WORK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I had decided upon buying the Superb TSI as well but Thanks to Team-Bhp and owners first hand experience posted here I decided not to buy a Skoda with Auto tranny.

Accord AT was bought instead of Superb and I wonder how many more people would have done that. But I even faced a problem with the Accord in terms of buying experience and A.S.S primarily due to the attitude of the dealership. So as GTO said car companies in India are not determined enough to give good service to their customers and sometimes wonder with no governing body to control them is it always better to buy economy cars in India instead of premium ones?
Im glad you didnt go for a DSG. Else we would have had another thread like mine. Now wait till the clutch wears off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
The mechatronics on my superb has also been replaced under warranty. I was not as lucky as you.. I was with family at amby valley, suddenly mom and dad both get sick with malaria, and at the worst moment, mechatronics fail. It was a nightmare.

I had noticed some bad shifting and vibrations earlier, and had taken it to the worksop. They said it was some crap in the fuel filter etc etc. I didnt buy it, but the vibrations stopped, so I didnt argue.

Then the mechatronics failed. I had to get the car towed on a flatbed from amby valley.

Even after the mechatronics was replaced, I was getting the same vibrations from the car. Took it to the dealer every time , but he did not seem to be able to fix it. Then finally I lost it, went to the manager of the workshop, told him if you cant do it, give it to me in writing and I will take the case forward with Skoda. He is like..just give me the car once, I want to check the clutches, etc. He took a few days, but fixed the car, and now I don't have those problems anymore.

He said that the problem was with the clutches. In a 1 year old car. Oh well.
Buddy you are lucky. At least the damn thing got replaced free. In my case they took the car away onthe pretext of replacing it and have gone back on their word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
In Singapore too VW (Skoda not popular here) had serious issues with the DSG, typically with the late 2009 and early 2010 models.

These issues existed only with seven speed DSGs while the six speeds DSGs found in models like Golf GTi had no issues.

But a concerted effort from VW owners here resulted in warranty extension to 5 years on the gearbox.

Present day DSG comes with dry clutch mechanism compared to the wet clutch seen is European models. Which according to VW has solved the problem.
Well my ex-Laura was a six speed. The mechatronics gave way at 72k kms. The Superb is a 7 speed and the Mechatronics gave way at 21k kms!! you do the math about reliability here!!

Does anyone have a solution really to this, id love for someone with a little arm twisting power to sort this issue out for me. Any Skoda dealers, technicians etc on the forum here??
Old 30th April 2011, 22:30   #34
BHPian

This is the same story as the case of Harish. The details may be different but the essence is the same. They will try to take advantage of the delays inherent in the judicial process to try deny discharging their contractual obligation to you.

The absence of an industry regulator with any sort of teeth to curb this kind of shenanigans only emboldens them to carry out this blatant thievery. The only two alternatives for you are either to submit or to slug it out in full public view. Why public view? This company needs to see that bad PR is the only PR thats coming their way from this episode.
Old 1st May 2011, 07:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this and saddened by your pain.

I am hugely sceptical of press being effective watchdog. They have their agendas and "it's a shoda!!" tag line does have lots of advert budget.

May be OT :
You, as a consumer, chose to take a soft way out. Harish did not. Some day some one will do some thing.

But essence is that unless we - consumers - try and unite they will keep getting away. Andwe are too much safe in our cocoon and think it will only happen to others, Realisation strikes the day it hits us!!

I have been advising all who care to listen to my opinion - and there happen to be many - to stay away from this bran. Links to such horror stories are sufficient for most to be off this brand. Why DSG or non DSG. Vote with your wallet and stop patronising any and all products from the brand.

Sorry for bit of preaching here but I see this "fan" boy trend with many brands and not enough research before buying.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 09:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Sorry to hear about this and saddened by your pain.

I am hugely sceptical of press being effective watchdog. They have their agendas and "it's a shoda!!" tag line does have lots of advert budget.

May be OT :
You, as a consumer, chose to take a soft way out. Harish did not. Some day some one will do some thing.

But essence is that unless we - consumers - try and unite they will keep getting away. Andwe are too much safe in our cocoon and think it will only happen to others, Realisation strikes the day it hits us!!

I have been advising all who care to listen to my opinion - and there happen to be many - to stay away from this bran. Links to such horror stories are sufficient for most to be off this brand. Why DSG or non DSG. Vote with your wallet and stop patronising any and all products from the brand.

Sorry for bit of preaching here but I see this "fan" boy trend with many brands and not enough research before buying.

If only this community can translate your thoughts into action on a collective basis, the impact will be visible without much delay.

The press needs sensationalism. They are not interested reporting facts. This is not a rant against the press but recognition of the way things are,for whatever reasons.

I would submit to you and other community members to make a collective approach NOT to the company, but the relevant departments of the government with appropriate exposure of the matter to the press. That is the start.

Question is do the members of this community feel outraged enough by this company's nonsense to take a stand? My money however is on my belief that we Indians are a nation of ostrich like apathetic bystanders being vindicated once again.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

If the car is still under warranty or extended warranty why wont Skoda honour the same?

My friends superb's Mechatronics was fixed under warranty. Total Cost 1.65L. If you are absolutely sure you car is still under warranty, you should take the legal route.
Old 5th May 2011, 15:57   #38
Team-BHP Support

Looks like there are so many woes, there is a website for it

DSGwoes.co.uk - Index
Old 13th May 2011, 21:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

As the story goes, Skoda seems least interested in this issue. I think the sales in India have gone to their head. Sad but such a brilliant work of engineering being forced down our throats just because we as Indians are still warming up to the idea of driving around in Automatic cars. Let them try this stunt anywhere abroad and their pants would have been sued by now. I hate these multinationals coming and taking our country and its people for a ride. Also the exorbitant cost of spares is not helping anybody.
I find the statement ridiculous that the pre-owned cars Skoda auto sells from the company, have no warranties?? Do they inform the innocent buyers about that? Why dont they call it "Pre-buggered up" or "Intent to be destroyed" cars? What do the company do with the cars they own? Why is the warranty void on these cars? Why do they sell these cars when they know its going to create expensive problems soon? Where is their ethics?
When Mercedes sells a pre-owned car, it comes with an additional warranty. When Skoda sells its cars which are in the warranty period, it sells them without warranty. Speaks volumes about the trust they have in their own cars. That means they know how bad their product is. I feel like kicking myself for buying a product after being in the

I know the message is getting across as this thread has has 3056 views till date. Good the more people know about this preposterous attitude, the better.

Skoda wake up!! Too many issues and you wont be able to hide this skeleton in your cupboard!!
Old 13th May 2011, 23:27   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
When Mercedes sells a pre-owned car, it comes with an additional warranty. When Skoda sells its cars which are in the warranty period, it sells them without warranty.
OT: Why Merc ? Even Tata Assured offers a wty on their used cars.
Old 13th May 2011, 23:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OT: Why Merc ? Even Tata Assured offers a wty on their used cars.
There! Now where does that put Skoda? I believe the DSG problems forced VW (Guess who was the brighter of the two sibling companies!!) to abolish the DSG box from the Vento. All that hambug about not getting the DSG autobox in the Vento because it would drastically increase price is all crap!! Now i wont believe a thing about these companies.
Old 14th May 2011, 01:03   #42
Team-BHP Support

At one time Fiat Uno was one of the largest selling cars in the segment.
I guess in another 2-3 years, only the very brave or the very foolish will attempt to purchase a skoda.
AS for the press, they will wag their tails for the advertiser, nothing else matters.

But your story has taught a lesson. Even a one month old used octavia is not worth a purchase unless the seller is willing to sell it for 60% of the purchase price, as the car has no warranty.

So basically, used skoda's are even more worthless than we thought they were
Old 14th May 2011, 11:33   #43
BHPian

The biggest problem with having such high end technology in your cars is the service availability. With the kind of hardware and sensors going into the circuitry it is impossible for a common guy to troubleshoot it. What exactly was the failure analysis of the mechatronics in question?
Old 14th May 2011, 16:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Just Mechatronics failure and the answer is that this is a sealed unit and cannot be repaired and opened so one needs to replace it. Hambug and highway robbery at approx 1.50 for the change!!
Old 14th May 2011, 22:04   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hambug and highway robbery at approx 1.50 for the change!!
Did you try to talk to the Manufacturer directly? Was this Skoda's response or the dealers?
If it was Skoda's response, I d suggest the legal way out. Is the car still at the dealership? Have you been given a stand-in vehicle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks