Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is your Skoda Reliable?
I have had No Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 43 51.81%
I have had Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 10 12.05%
I have had No Major Issues with my DSG Skoda. 13 15.66%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 6 speed DSG 4 4.82%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 7 speed DSG. 13 15.66%
I have had Major Issues with my DSG Skoda other than the DSG. 5 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 11:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Woes And The Ghost Of The Mechatronics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-cobra View Post
Skoda had modified their DSG units and the mechatronic defects have been resolved.

Is this true?
I would still be wary of that statement as there have been some case of post 2010 cars which have reported mechatronic failures. 7 DSG is best avoided.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:07   #107
Senior - BHPian

Mine is a 2010 made 7 speed DSG. It failed alright. They happened to replace it under extended warranty.
Agree with Dkaile, 7 speed DSG's are best avoided.
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Here we go again. Last week while i was driving my Superb Tsi, i noticed that the revs became a bit high, thinking i must have slotted it into the S mode by mistake i checked to see that the car was in the D mode and the gear shift indicator was on D3 and blinking. I immediately parked the car and switched the engine off. After a few minutes, i started the car and there was no blinking, and the gear shifts were buttery smooth as before.

Yesterday while returning home just a few hundred meters away from home (luckily) i noticed the same revs going high, i.e. as if the car was pulling more in the lower gears than normal. At once i noticed the blinking gear selector display. Tried the old shut off and re start routine but the blinking persisted, so i drove her home very very slowly. I noticed the gear shifted directly from the 1st to the 3rd, no second was selected.

After i parked the car i shifted to reverse and i found that the car was not responding. Not to pressure the car i have now asked the Skoda dealers to take the car and figure out what the problem was. If you guys remember,i had started this thread when the Mechatronics in this very Skoda had failed. I think my worst fears have returned. The Mechatronic seems to have kicked the bucket again. I was told, verbally that a new Mechatronic carries a warranty of 2 years. I only hope that if it is a Mechatronic problem, they do and they MUST, replace it under warranty, again. I am sick and tired of Skoda DSGs and i hope no one has to relive this issue again. If i have a problem I would request T-Bhp to take it up with Skoda. I will too.

Sad that inspite of all such problems of which i am not a singular or rare victim, the Auto Journos seem not to pay attention to this problem at all.

Alas the Ghost of the Mechatroic seems to have risen.....Yet Again!!
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 21:00   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Here we go again.
Alas the Ghost of the Mechatroic seems to have risen.....Yet Again!!
7 speed DSG?? I guess so.

I d say Skoda WILL replace this under warranty. Also, do not forget to ask for INR 4500.00 per day after every day of registering your complaint with the dealer OR a stand in car of the same class till you get your car back.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:45   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
7 speed DSG?? I guess so.

I d say Skoda WILL replace this under warranty. Also, do not forget to ask for INR 4500.00 per day after every day of registering your complaint with the dealer OR a stand in car of the same class till you get your car back.
Oh gosh thanks mate. Yes, its a 7 speed. And thanks for the tip, will demand the same.
Old 28th November 2012, 17:11   #111
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy!
Again?? Thats indeed sad to happen!
Is the 'new' Mechatronic part still under warranty? If so, they should replace it for nothing.
Do keep us updated.

Also, as Dev mentioned, go get that 4500 or spare car. Its your right as an owner.
@Dev: You seem like a guardian angel, advising on getting the cab charges or spare car, to all DSG affected siblings here on TBHP
Old 8th January 2013, 18:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Om update time. Finally after threats to expose, calls to important people, influence on Skoda and every other lawful tactic i could think of Skoda finally relented (to which of the above measures im not sure of). First it was the Mechatronic, when they were informed it was under warranty i.e. under 2 years old, they quickly said, but the clutch also is gone as a result of which the Mechtronic failed, something which i cannot digest or believe. The cost of the clutch and replacement charges, well a cool 95K +. So either this way or that, i would have to pay. What i find really disgusting is that within 40k kms their mechtronic fails twice, both well within the warranty period and they make a fuss about changing it free. The first time i was charged labour to replace a factory part under warranty. The second time also i was made to run from pillar to post for the same. The part should have been changed impromptu, immediately,..... no discussion.

These guys will try to squeeze the money out of you for whatever reason they can. Then after almost a month i get a call form Skoda that the parts are being changed under goodwill warranty (now also they do not admit that the Mechatronic should have been changed under warranty as it was under warranty) and that actually pointed out to them by the dealer, that the car had not been serviced so the units failed due to that. THe cars according to them had not been serviced once during the 24k odd kms that i drove after i got the car from them. I was furious and asked how he knew that, he said there was no records to show that the car had been serviced EVER. I told him that i had infront of me a bill from the very dealer i.e. AutoBahn who had mis-informed them (i do not know whether he was fibbing or was speaking the truth) had serviced my car on both occasions, i had the bills and i had paid in cheque. In fact the last service was done just before the mechatronic unit packed up and that was around only a month ago. He was shocked to heart this. I offered to scan and send him the bills for him to verufy when he said "no need sir" we have replaced the part. I asked him how dare he claim something like this? He simple said, "dont worry sir we have taken care". What the hell man? Skoda is the worst car company in the world and their dealers have no scruples. I would like to lodge a complain against this practice and i hope all the Skoda customers who have been gypped by the dealers should come together and send them complaints. If we can get the press involved to unveil their malpractices i would be only to glad. I am once again disgusted by their practice and the silence of the auto magazines who i believe have been bought over by them. I know these are harsh words but then why is no magazine reporting all this crap they are indulging in? Both times i had to involve my friends from reputed magazines to put in a word. All the magazines i wrote to agreed about the problem being wide spread, why one editor even said the test car given to him had sprouted the same issues, so why not expose them??

All my Skodas are sold and this one will also go under the hammer soon. Skoda in the future...i dont think so, though i badly want a Yeti ...at least its not an automatic but i really dont know.

Last edited by V-16 : 8th January 2013 at 18:29.
Old 8th January 2013, 21:07   #113
BHPian

Sorry to hear that the issue cropped up again!

While going through the posts, I noticed this link "http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm"

It says "As of 2011, VW Auto Group has made around 3.5 million DSG transmissions. Almost all are made in Kassel, Germany with a few made in Dalian, China"

A FEW MADE IN CHINA!!

So my doubt is, does these issue involves anything related to "Made in China" tag???
Old 25th April 2013, 22:17   #114
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rohit Agarwal wishes to share this with us:

Quote:
Please find below the trail mail

Summary

- I had purchased a Superb from Arshia Motors on 16th March 2009.
- The car had developed Mechatronic problems 2 times, the car was replaced and a new car was given to me in Oct 2009 by Arshia Motors.
- The new Car number was DL13C2125, it again developed a Mechatronic problem and the same was replaced on 4th Dec 2010 ( Jai Auto).
- The Mechatronic was again changed once again ( Date not Sure)
- The car again started showing the same problem for the last 8 months ( since Oct 2012), but Jai Auto said "we have sent a mail to the technical team, they will revert back. You can take back your car now as the problem is not persistent in nature"
- The car was creating lots of problems recently, so it was sent to the service centre on 22nd April 2013. The manager said the mechatronics had to be changed again, and now the car is out of warranty. The cost of Mechatronic is 2 lacs.

Sir, I confirmed various times that the car is of good quality car and the mechatronic will never be a issue. Please suggest what should I do????

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit Agarwal,

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2013 at 22:20.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 08:51   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bad Luck mate. Superb's 7-DSG woes till 2011 were quite consistent. Not sure the exact upgrades done after that but the company claims to have solved the issue after that. However, Skoda's claims wrt this DQ200 gearbox should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think if Rohit approaches Skoda HQ directly, they should give him a goodwill guarantee on this gearbox as worldwide they have increased the warranty on this gearbox to 5 years.

And now VW is launching the same gearbox on their lower torque engine like the 1.2TSI on the Polo GT. It is supposed to give less issues with lower torque engines. But I would still be wary of this dry clutch gearbox in our humid, dusty and hot climate.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 11:20   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I recently helped a friend to get a goodwill warranty mechatronic replacement for his pre owned 2010 Superb petrol long after the warranty had expired on the car.

It is certainly possible to have the mechatronic changed FOC by Skoda.

And yes, I do not trust the DQ200 GB, the DQ 250 is far better.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:07   #117
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Reliability Survey

Hi TBHP'ians,

Three months back, I started my hunt for a new car. After reading many ownership reviews here in TBHP, and many test drives, I have booked the Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI.

As everyone in the forum knows, Skoda is well known for very poor after sales service. In the past few days alone, there have been many new threads related to failures in Skoda cars and the bad experience owners are facing. However, I believe there is always two sides to a coin. As there are dissatisfied owners, there are also many users who have mentioned a totally trouble free ownership experience with their Skoda cars.

The only way we can find an answer on how good or bad the reliability of Skoda cars are, is to have a proper survey. We should only come to a conclusion based on the actual numbers, not on perceptions.

I have tried to cover all aspects related to the reliability of the cars themselves, the quality of A.S.S from the dealers and Skoda. I hereby request Skoda owners, both satisfied and dissatisfied, to take this survey. This will take about 10 minutes of your time, but can go a long way in helping prospective buyers of Skoda cars like me to make an informed decision. Please pass on the link to the survey to your friends who own Skoda cars as well. Also please help to get more responses by posting this on other channels like your FB walls etc.

I will regularly update this thread with the results of the survey. This is just wishful thinking, who knows Skoda may also see the results and bring about some positive changes.

Thank you in advance for all your support.

Disclaimer: I would like to reiterate that I am not a Skoda fan. I am just a person who has booked a Skoda car and want the simple truth about Skoda reliability.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2014 at 17:05. Reason: Sorry, we don't permit external surveys to be conducted on Team-BHP. Thanks
graaja is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 23:28   #118
BHPian

Re: Skoda Reliability Survey

Hi, hats off to you man who has decided to take a plunge knowing very well that the situation is not as rosy as it looks like. You have mentioned that you want to take an informed decision by conducting this survey, but on the contrary you have already booked your car.

Is it that you are somehow trying to justify your own decision to yourself. I do agree that there are two sides of the coins but what does a person do when the parts start to disfunction. The company doesn't respond. The dealer arm twists . You go to court and the cases drag on for years.

Yes, there have been cases where the Skoda owners are very satisfied with the product but then there are others who have been cheated by the dealer or the company. They can also not be ignored.

Best of luck for booking this car and I do wish you miles and miles of happy motoring.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 23:32   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Hi, hats off to you man who has decided to take a plunge knowing very well that the situation is not as rosy as it looks like. You have mentioned that you want to take an informed decision by conducting this survey, but on the contrary you have already booked your car.

Is it that you are somehow trying to justify your own decision to yourself. I do agree that there are two sides of the coins but what does a person do when the parts start to disfunction. The company doesn't respond. The dealer arm twists . You go to court and the cases drag on for years.

Yes, there have been cases where the Skoda owners are very satisfied with the product but then there are others who have been cheated by the dealer or the company. They can also not be ignored.

Best of luck for booking this car and I do wish you miles and miles of happy motoring.
Hi, I have only paid the booking amount which is 100% refundable. So I can always decide to cancel my booking if things are so bleak. The car is expected only in March. So, I have 3 more months to change my mind
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 00:15   #120
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Reliability Survey

Good idea about a public poll, will hopefully get you a fair answer to your question.

In a lighter vein (not really, if one owns a Skoda), the only types of Skoda owners you'll find these days are the ones who got Skoda'd, and the ones hoping not to join them. And it's a lottery which side you'll join (and for how long) if you decide to take the plunge come March.

All the best to you, either ways. Respect for your bravery at the very least.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th January 2014 at 00:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks