Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 14:55   #1
BHPian

Expert's advice requested - Unbelievable Cost - 60K serv.Optra 1.8LS 2004

Dear colleagues,

I own a Chevrolet Optra 1.8 LS model 1994 and had recently shelled out approximately Rs. 8000 at the authorized dealer to do the service at 60,000 kms for which the actual amount was estimated to Rs. 30,000 which included the replacement of Timing belt, Tensioner, V-belt, Timing Tensioner, Damper pulley etc and which I opted out at that time, as I had plans to sell the car.

However, now after 66000 kms, I have decided to keep it and do the pending jobs rather than take a risk with a blown out engine block. The dealer has given an estimate as follows with the cost against each of the parts. The water pump is leaking according to them.

1. Timing Belt - Rs. 7500
2. Damper Pulley - 4800
3. Timing Tensioner - 8400
4. Timing Idler - 6000
5. V-Belt Tensioner - 3500
6. V-Belt - 1100
7. Water Pump - 15000
8. Labour charge - 3500
9. Interior 3M Shampoo cleaning (as requested) - 2000

Total Amount Rs. 51,800

(One thing that I don't understand is how come the earlier estimate of Rs 30,000 plus has reached a total of Rs 50,000 after running 6000 kms.)

This car is my baby and I don't want to part with it. However, before I do all this, I would like to know from the experts and gurus on the forum, whether the prices against the said parts are correct and if the above said amount will guarantee me another 60,000 kms without major problems. Or is it advisable that I sell off/exchange this car at the dealership?

Are these replacements inevitable and can something like the water pump be excluded? According to the dealership, all these are part of a single system and a failure of one of the items will affect the others which will be way too expensive to repair later and that a 20000 kms warranty will be given by the company. Since the car is anyway out of warranty can this be done outside the dealership in a trustworthy manner and if so, whether there are any expert mechanics doing this at Trivandrum or Cochin in Kerala State ?

Waiting eagerly for an advice to conclude on a justifiable and wise decision.

Thanks and best regards

Sajan

Last edited by sajanpt : 18th April 2011 at 14:57.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:09   #2
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Expert's advice requested - Unbelievable Cost - 60K serv.Optra 1.8LS 2004

I think there is an extra "0" in water pump.
Check out this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-delhi-2.html
Old 18th April 2011, 17:19   #3
BHPian

Do you have BOSCH service at Trivandrum/Kochi? If yes, it is worth doing service there. Since the car is old and if you know any known service personnel, it would be good rather to service once outside and take a chance but the service needs to be done in your presence.

Second option would be better, to exchange the car with a different brand. The After Sales Service of Chevy needs to be improved much.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanpt View Post

2. Damper Pulley - 4800
3. Timing Tensioner - 8400
4. Timing Idler - 6000
5. V-Belt Tensioner - 3500
6. V-Belt - 1100
7. Water Pump - 15000
8. Labour charge - 3500

Total Amount Rs. 51,800
Something very wrong with the quote given to you.
Here what Bhpian ashthedivx was charged for his Optra.

Engine Flush - 506 Rs
Fuel Filter - 183 Rs
Air Filter - 327 Rs
Engine oil 3.75 Lt - 516 Rs
V-Belt - 610 Rs
Tensioner - 1344 Rs
Tensioner Timing Belt - 3003 Rs
Water Pump - 2602 Rs
Timing Belt - 1347 Rs
Thermostat Housing - 524 Rs
Coolant - 746 Rs
Pulley Idler - 1126 Rs
Spark Plugs - 238 Rs
Paid Service - 625 Rs
Extra Labour - 2535 Rs
Old 18th April 2011, 23:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

A leaking water pump would be a very obvious thing upon opening the hood and checking. Plus, the loss of coolant in the reservoir tank would be evident too. Been through this on my Indica.
Old 19th April 2011, 00:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Timing belt usually is at 1 lakh? what does the manual say.

To be safe, you can replace just the belt and leave everything alone till it causes problems.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

To be safe, you can replace just the belt and leave everything alone till it causes problems.
The manual says at 60K....though I know that it will run another 20K. The service centre wants everything to be replaced and keep their side safe. And since it is not worth taking the risk, I thought of doing it.

Anyway, thank you for all your feedback, especially to V&V, Ash, Captain for pointing out the thread which is exactly covering my issues and which is an eye opener on how these people rip us apart on every paid service. I hope the model for parts prices quoted is 1.8 LS Optra. Even otherwise it should be close to that figure and not 50 grands. I had already sent a mail stating this yesterday night to GM, India and hope I would not have to point out these threads to get it straightened out.

Thanks once again guys.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:38   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't skimp on the timing belt. IIRC, some Optras on the forum snapped their belts prematurely, and paid a VERY heavy price.

What you need is a good independent mechanic. Once modern cars go over 5 - 6 years in age, it's tough to justify the astronomical charges of authorised dealers.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The interior cleaning is 2000? I got it done for 1400 at Sundaram, Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Something very wrong with the quote given to you.
Here what Bhpian ashthedivx was charged for his Optra.

Timing Belt - 1347 Rs
I think what sajanpt has been quoted is right. I was told the Timing belt would cost ~7000 for my Corsa by Sundaram Motors, Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
1 lakh?? The friendly SA at Sundaram, B'lore "suggested" I get it done at 30k kms (30k!!). Of course when I said I'll put it off, he said I could get it done at 40k kms.

Quote:
The manual says at 60K....though I know that it will run another 20K. The service centre wants everything to be replaced and keep their side safe. And since it is not worth taking the risk, I thought of doing it.

Anyway, thank you for all your feedback, especially to V&V, Ash, Captain for pointing out the thread which is exactly covering my issues and which is an eye opener on how these people rip us apart on every paid service. I hope the model for parts prices quoted is 1.8 LS Optra. Even otherwise it should be close to that figure and not 50 grands. I had already sent a mail stating this yesterday night to GM, India and hope I would not have to point out these threads to get it straightened out.

Thanks once again guys.
60k kms, right? I have no clue how the SA justified it at 30k kms.

Please let me know what GM says. It'll be handy when I take my Corsa for the 40k kms service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't skimp on the timing belt. IIRC, some Optras on the forum snapped their belts prematurely, and paid a VERY heavy price.
I wouldn't want to skip on it but having been asked to change the timing belt at a ripe 30k kms, how is a replacement this early going to be justified?!

For say a tension belt, what could/should convince an owner that it is time for a change? Surely the SA can't be trusted blindly. A neighbourhood mechanic?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 19th April 2011 at 16:01.
Old 19th April 2011, 19:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The interior cleaning is 2000? I got it done for 1400 at Sundaram, Bangalore.

I think what sajanpt has been quoted is right. I was told the Timing belt would cost ~7000 for my Corsa by Sundaram Motors, Bangalore.

1 lakh?? The friendly SA at Sundaram, B'lore "suggested" I get it done at 30k kms (30k!!). Of course when I said I'll put it off, he said I could get it done at 40k kms.

60k kms, right? I have no clue how the SA justified it at 30k kms.

Please let me know what GM says. It'll be handy when I take my Corsa for the 40k kms service.

I wouldn't want to skip on it but having been asked to change the timing belt at a ripe 30k kms, how is a replacement this early going to be justified?!

For say a tension belt, what could/should convince an owner that it is time for a change? Surely the SA can't be trusted blindly. A neighbourhood mechanic?
Looks like you were taken for a ride too on the timing belt! The price quoted by Ashdivx were for a service done at 60K by an authorized dealer for original OEM parts and the timing belt was 1/3rd of the price quoted to me. Let's assume a 10-15% increase in the price from when he did it during 2008 compared to 2011 now and still it does not justify. What I had noticed is that they had doubled the prices with every part which is probably the service center trying to make some extra money.
Old 19th April 2011, 19:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

^^ Well, I haven't got it done yet.

Although we have always given all our cars only to the A.S.S., I'm planning to give the Corsa to a reputed garage/mechanic for further servicings. Don't know if this is a Chevy/GM thing but spares are unnecessarily costly!

I once called the GM helpline to know what the replacement schedule for a particular part was; the person said they'd have to check with a A.S.S. and get back. What is the point of a helpline if they are ultimately going to ask the A.S.S.?!

By the way, did you try another A.S.S.?
Old 20th April 2011, 14:39   #12
BHPian

Can somebody please confirm the model of Ash's Optra since the A.S.S told me that the prices might probably be for the 1.6 LS version. I tried sending a private message to him already, but no response. Mine is a 1.8 LS model and would definitely cost more as the engine is different.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can somebody please confirm the model of Ash's Optra since the A.S.S told me that the prices might probably be for the 1.6 LS version. I tried sending a private message to him already, but no response. Mine is a 1.8 LS model and would definitely cost more as the engine is different.
But I was quoted the same price for a 1.4 Corsa!
Old 20th April 2011, 20:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Timing belts intervals I've seen on friends' older Camrys and Civics are 100K miles (160k kms) in the US. None of the newer engines use belts anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
what do you mean by tension belt?
Old 20th April 2011, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

I believe yours is petrol Optra. Then you need not worry. Nothing will happen if timing belt snaps, apart from stalled car. But in case of diesels, if timing belt snaps, it will wreck upper half of the engine, valves, cams. That is because diesels have high compression ratio and valves and piston heads occupy same space at different times. When piston goes down valve occupies same space and when valve moves away piston comes up. Timing belt cares of this to avoid clash. however, when timing belt snaps ( in diesels ), valves and pistons run into each other at high rpm and you can imagine the rest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks