Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Retractable ORVMs. Boon or burden?

The Electrical fold/unfold ORVMs come with motors which have a stall-protection. This means if one mirror is already closed, and the motors are being driven, the closed motor with stall protection would protect the motor from long-term damage.
So, dont worry about damage to the ORVM due to manual fold/unfold...
the only thing to worry is the replacement cost! but that i think will be less of an issue going forward
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, FlyingSpur I got my answer. My cousin was worried it would have weakened links inside ( though they are working fine ). Thanks once again.
Old 23rd April 2011, 00:24   #33
BHPian

I have an I20 which has these Electrically retracting ORVM's. Have been using it for around 6 months now. Have noticed many times that people would have forcibly folded it. But it works pretty fine. No problems whatsoever. I guess all these things would have been throughly tested before being released in the market. So i don't see it as a bane in anyway apart from the cost of replacement over the normal ones (If only you happen to break/damage it)
PS : i have noticed in my i20 that when you try and open the ORVM's manually beyond a limit which it normally opens to when electrically opened, it goes into a position where you need to use the electric button 2 or 3 times before it comes out of that position into the normal open position with a 'tak' sound. (Can be done manually too).
Old 6th September 2011, 22:02   #34
BHPian

Electric ORVM manually folded

Hi TBHPians,
On my recent long trip to Trichy: at the hotel parking lot, some guy, who must be a cab driver, folded my electric ORVM manually overnight. I saw this in the morning and tried to operate the electric controls and the ORVMs folded/unfolded just fine. Is there anything I should be worried about or get checked?

I should have been more careful to fold the ORVMs when putting up for the night in a parking lot.

Cheers!
Old 6th September 2011, 22:47   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Electric ORVM manually folded

I think we have had a thread on this before. Cant remember the same.

But IIRC the message in that thread was: There is no problem even if the EORVM is manually folded. Many tbhp'ns have had such experiences with no issues.

Hope this gives you some peace...
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 22:48   #36
BHPian

hi,
If you mirror is folding fine, without any clicking or grinding noises, there is nothing to worry about. Dissected such a mirror once, and it just contains a small motor and a set of metal gears to fold it. nothing much to go wrong.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

No problem at all. I have also experienced this many times in my car .Its working fine .The motors make some uncomfortable crackling noise when operated,later they will work normally..Just relax
Old 7th September 2011, 01:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't worry buddy, nothing will go wrong.

For your information, E-ORVM are tested to fold & unfold manually. They are designed in such a way that for any unavoidable situations they can be operated manually.
Old 7th September 2011, 06:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

These are designed to take such a misuse, as in most cities in India there are bound to be instances when someone comes and hits the OVRM either from the same side (Turning it all the way in opposite direction of normal closing position) or the opposite (i.e. closing forcibly) and sure thing nothing happens. So relax.
Old 7th September 2011, 10:11   #40
BHPian

Many thanks everyone!!! It does give me peace of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I think we have had a thread on this before. Cant remember the same.
I tried searching the "Technical Stuff" forum for "electric ORVM" in thread titles and no results came up, hence I wasted some server space by starting a new thread. Should have spent time trying different search options
Old 7th September 2011, 13:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Hi TBHPians,
On my recent long trip to Trichy: at the hotel parking lot, some guy, who must be a cab driver, folded my electric ORVM manually overnight. I saw this in the morning and tried to operate the electric controls and the ORVMs folded/unfolded just fine. Is there anything I should be worried about or get checked?

I should have been more careful to fold the ORVMs when putting up for the night in a parking lot.

Cheers!
Are you actually referring to the Electrically foldable OVRMs which got manually folded coz the thread title talks about Electric ORVMs. I have them on my Fiesta and still have to manually fold the OVRM's.

If there is no issue with the motor operation, I guess the OVRM's should work normal. If you were to have electric foldable OVRMs, it would get automatically folded once you switch off the engine like in I20. Or am I missing something here?
Old 7th September 2011, 13:59   #42
BANNED

Let me add. In the event of a hard knock the mirror will fold (partially or fully) rather than break. Sure enough a double operation will restore things to normal. So they are designed to with stand this abuse. My jack of all trades used to fold the drivers side mirror on my Civic whenever he washed the car, til I developed a habit of closing both of them.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 14:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Are you actually referring to the Electrically foldable OVRMs which got manually folded coz the thread title talks about Electric ORVMs. I have them on my Fiesta and still have to manually fold the OVRM's.

If there is no issue with the motor operation, I guess the OVRM's should work normal. If you were to have electric foldable OVRMs, it would get automatically folded once you switch off the engine like in I20. Or am I missing something here?
Okay; they are electrically foldable ORVMs, BUT they don't fold automatically on ignition off. A switch on the driver's arm rest is used to fold them.

Guess I messed up the thread's title

Most Viewed