Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 10:06   #31
BHPian

Which side is the gas filler cap?

Just recieved this note:

I have been driving for nearly 100 years. I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me in the face the whole time, I didn't, and I bet you didn't either.

Have you ever rented or borrowed a car and when arriving at the gas station wondered mmm, which side is the gas filler cap?

My normal solution was to stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors or even get out of the car!
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.

If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump?
The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the gas pump?
If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left? If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo). It is that simple!

Don't feel dumb, just go out and share the world's best kept auto secret with your friends.
--

@Mods: Please move this thread if this is not the right section

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel lid on which side?-att3226234.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th October 2008 at 10:36. Reason: Search please
Old 14th October 2008, 10:35   #32
Team-BHP Support

The tip of the gun will point to the side of filler cap, even if the handle is on the other side
Old 14th October 2008, 15:15   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmania View Post
If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left? If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo). It is that simple![/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The tip of the gun will point to the side of filler cap, even if the handle is on the other side
What can I say, learn something new everyday! I honestly hadn't a clue about the importance of this symbol.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2008 at 15:41.
Old 15th October 2008, 13:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

The Icon doesnt point as mentioned in the "secret" for my safari atleast.

The handle both on lid opener button and in the gauge is on the right. Fuel lid is on the left side.
Old 15th October 2008, 15:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

In the Alto, I can see an arrow next to the fuel pump icon. This arrow points in the direction of the fuel cap opening.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:45   #36
BHPian

My Fiesta manual says that there is an arrow mark next to the fuel indicator icon and it points to the direction in which the fuel filler lid.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

In case of Tatas atleast the right and left side does not really depend on conversion fron LHD to RHD model or any other logic. I observed that Sumo and Safari have fuel lids placed on different sides both are homegrown and for Indian Market.
Old 17th October 2008, 10:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I checked in my Santro too, the Symbol has the fuel handle on the right whereas the fuel lid is on the left.

So this finding cannot hold true for all but is specific to some.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

I knew this was a European vs American vs Japanese thing much the same way as the light switch and wiper knob positions are (they are opposite in opposite continents). Didn't know about the icon thing. But Dadu's post begs an explanation !!
Old 17th October 2008, 11:33   #40
Team-BHP Support

works well on the Crv and Swift D, yes there will be an arrow also in some cases, dont remember which car i noticed this.
Old 19th October 2008, 10:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think Carmania (and many of us) got taken for a royal ride by some prankster. This is pure game of con for fun, like you can open your remote lock by clicking the remote over a mobile phone etc.
It doesn't work on my Esteem.
Mods should consider either deleting this part of the thread or post a clarification.
Old 20th October 2008, 00:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

It may be mere coincidence only.

What do you do when you have these. Lolz
Fuel lid on which side?-extra-meter-medium.jpg
Old 15th March 2013, 15:18   #43
BHPian

Re: Fuel lid on which side?

Sorry for digging up such an old post. But there was some debate between me and my friend recently abt the logic of the lid placement and hence the search on TBHP.

One point that I found interesting in Ram's post was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Exterior mirrors should have the plane mirror on the offside and the convex mirror (the one that says, :"Caution, objects in mirror are closer than they appear") is on the curbside.
Don't both the ORVMs mention the same thing these days? Atleast I remember seeing that in my cars, hope I'm not mistaken.

BTW Ram, thanks for the explanation. That was very elaborate, took me some time to read and grasp it
Old 15th March 2013, 15:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel lid on which side?

Most cars have an arrow pointing to which side the filler cap is. The Innova has it.
Old 17th March 2013, 23:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
I don't know if the question sounds odd, but I like to know if there is a rational behind it

Some cars have fuel lids placed on left hand side while others on the right hand side.
What's the logic behind it?

In most cases (there are many exceptions though) the fuel lid is placed on the opposite side of the driver (based on the actual originating country of the car).
For example, German/Italian cars have fuel lid on right side of the car (they are normally LHD in Europe)
Japanese cars have it on left side of the car (RHD in Japan)

Or it is just haphazard?
Without being technical and logical and my point of view is that the fuel lid should be on the driver side. Its easier to keep a watch while filling is on rather than rely on the left side ORVM. Also no need to reach out to pay. Just my humble opinion.

Most Viewed