Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 05:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Fuel lid on which side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SujAce View Post
Sorry for digging up such an old post. But there was some debate between me and my friend recently abt the logic of the lid placement and hence the search on TBHP.

One point that I found interesting in Ram's post was

Don't both the ORVMs mention the same thing these days? Atleast I remember seeing that in my cars, hope I'm not mistaken.

BTW Ram, thanks for the explanation. That was very elaborate, took me some time to read and grasp it
What you said is right. Both the ORVMs are convex.

Well, at least in USA driver side ORVM is planar while passenger side is convex. The rationale behind this is that it does not alter the size of the objects, they look about the same size in the mirror as they would if you turned your head around and looked at them directly.

But in the passenger side, since it is away from your eyes, it would be very limited in the range of vision it provides. So you require a large mirror or a mirror that can cover the range of vision it provides which is done by a convex mirror. Since a convex mirror does this coverage by compressing the objects, it is written so in these mirrors.
Old 30th March 2013, 17:16   #47
BHPian

Thanks for that info.

Last edited by SujAce : 30th March 2013 at 17:18. Reason: Posted in wrong window, now corrected.
Old 30th March 2013, 18:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
... Well, at least in USA driver side ORVM is planar ...
Err... what makes you say that?

Planar mirrors will not give you enough width of rear view for safe lane changes on a highway. "look about the same size in the mirror as they would if you turned your head around" is a rather simplistic observation, as one doesn't care about size, rather the presence of another vehicle - no matter in which country.

AND, it is only in India that driving schools teach one to turn your head and look behind while reversing (because other people are not careful and are unpredictable). In other countries, for reversing & parking, one is taught to rely on the mirrors. One is taught to quickly turn around and look at the lane one wants to get into - to make sure the mirror blind spot doesn't put one in harm's way while doing a lane change. With a planar mirror, the blind spot will be larger - and one will go barreling into the other lane scaring the daylights out of the person who is right just behind in the other lane!

You have to remember that a radical change, like replacing convex mirrors with planar, will ultimately trickle down to other countries in a rather short while - IF it is logical. Global practices and global suppliers! If it hasn't reached India, it is not done elsewhere. We aren't that backward, you know!

Last edited by DerAlte : 30th March 2013 at 18:11.

Most Viewed