Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 22:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lower Viscosity Oil in Gearbox - Pros and cons?

An interesting topic.

So how do add it to the Transmission Fluid or do you look for TF coming with these additives.

And considering that our Armed Forces use TATA trucks in high altitudes, what do they use to solve this issue?

Cheers
Old 24th April 2011, 23:23   #17
BANNED

liquimoly has an gear oil additive, i think its like paste, but i trust liqui moly. I have used CERATEC of liquimoly and the effect was good, i feel differnce in reduction of smoke, increase in power and mileage, smoothness etc.

but liqui moly gear additive is available in Uk or USA through ebay and many other eshopping.

I have added Xado gear treatment, and that also good. but liqui moly is TUV certified for its effectiveness.
Old 25th April 2011, 07:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
ATF used to come in different types (GM and Ford, and later on, even Chrysler's was also different) and absolutely not interchangeable. Has that changed now? And if it has not, which one is recommended for MTs?

Regards
Sutripta
For mine it was Dexron-6 commonly known as Dex-6.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:21   #19
Team-BHP Support

MY biggest worry of moving to a synthetic oil or some other forumulation is the synchronizers. Brass ones can get ruined if there is sulfur in oil(A great lubricant).
Now I have no idea whether the Safari has brass synchros or not!
Old 25th April 2011, 12:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

There is little chance that your Safari will have Synchros without Cu- Zn in the alloy. Any idea about the make of Synchro? Is it made by Divgi?

Spike

PS- In M&M models there is 80W90 and 80W90 Synchro.
Old 19th November 2017, 16:06   #21
BHPian

Hi all, may be it's relevant to post my experience a rather bitter one today. I just replaced existing Gear oil with Auto transmission fluid (Dexron 3) on my punto diesel by mistake. Guess what, now the gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear immediately after the change. The recommended gear oil is 75W 85 on the manual. I think a lot of research goes into which oil or lubricant to use in car manufacturing process so better to refrain from changing to other grades. It taught me a lesson
Old 19th November 2017, 17:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
Hi all, may be it's relevant to post my experience a rather bitter one today. I just replaced existing Gear oil with Auto transmission fluid (Dexron 3) on my punto diesel by mistake.

Guess what, now the gearbox is stuck in 3rd gear immediately after the change. The recommended gear oil is 75W 85 on the manual. I think a lot of research goes into which oil or lubricant to use in car manufacturing process so better to refrain from changing to other grades. It taught me a lesson
That's because automatic transmission fluid is much less viscous i.e. is thinner than normal MT fluid and has different additives. Hope you haven't driven the car extensively because the thinner oil can cause synchronizer, bearing and even gear wear over time. Stuck gears can also happen due to lower than recommended level of oil.

You need to be very careful in your choice of oils. NEVER use AT fluid in a MT and vice versa. And make sure to use the recommended quantity.

If the recommended fluid is 75W-85 and you cannot source it you could use 75W-90 GL4, assuming your car doesn't require GL5. Remember, GL5 and GL4 are not interchangeable. Do this ASAP and stop using the car till this is done.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 18:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's because automatic transmission fluid is much less viscous i.e. is thinner than normal MT fluid and has different additives. Hope you haven't driven the car extensively because the thinner oil can cause synchronizer, bearing and even gear wear over time. Stuck gears can also happen due to lower than recommended level of oil.
If the recommended fluid is 75W-85 and you cannot source it you could use 75W-90 GL4, assuming your car doesn't require GL5. Remember, GL5 and GL4 are not interchangeable. Do this ASAP and stop using the car till this is done.
Thank God I haven't driven it at all, after filling up was just checking the gear shift quality while idling and it got stuck in 3rd gear. Recommended is 75W 85, GL 4 or above. Thanks for your advice. Henceforth I shall be extra careful while changing any consumables.
Old 19th November 2017, 19:07   #24
BHPian

If it was me I will have used this link product by Seafoam. Not sure as oil can be used for hot as well as cold condition. Stick to specifications as per company manual, but add a little of Sea Foam Trans Tune.

https://www.amazon.in/Sea-Foam-Trans.../dp/B0002JN2F4

How to use link
https://seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-...ering-systems/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks