Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2006, 23:32   #1
BHPian

Audi TT 1.8 !!

Test drove an Audi TT 1.8 today... actually the car was brought in to see the colour of A6 which my dad's friend has booked.
As the things went in my favour, i got to test the TT for about a small stretch of 6-7 Kms.

1st impressions :
Had seen the same car in supercar rally and frankly speaking, i did not like the car at all.
Got the car at 3.15 PM sharp - it was in my building till 7.00 PM...almost everyone present took it out for ride... and the odo jumped from 6960 to 7005 when she left
Ok i had to eat my words as i checked it out to full - the AudiTT is one of the cutest cars i have seen till date ! The curvy body looks awesome !!

After driving it, it felt as if a small jet pack hidden in somewhere... after 2500 RPM the car simply shoots off... and touches 100 mark with ease ( yeah i know .. 100's a little too low for a sports car but come on.. I was driving in Pune, on NDA road )
The overall feel of the car is good with some really neat styling for interiors...certain elements like rings on the A/C vent look hot. Also liked the 3 spoke steering wheel - provided good grip. Another thing - the cover which hide the music system simply rocks !!!
kudos to Audi for that !

Some points I disliked about the car :
- 1.8 engine is a small unit to put into 35 lakh car - i would opt for RS instead

- getting in and out from drivers seat was a pain for 5'10"er like me - what would happen to the 6 footers then ?? banged my head twice while getting in.

- why , i ask why do they have to put in a puny 2nd row of seats in a sports car ?? even keeping my camera in that seat was pain - then how would a person ( kid, actually ) get into it ?????

- Some of the parts on exterior were absolutely bad - the rear bumper was pressable by single finger - it was some bad plastic...

- Lastly, the music system - in the brochure it says that all audi TTs are fitted with BOSE speakers and the whole setup's called as "Audi Concert" - now that is some gimmick - the sound system was a bigtime blunder ( it might be that since this is a demo car, the system is messed up due to variations in usage... )

All in all, its a fashion accessory for someone who has 35 lakhs to part with and who doesnt care about the performance ( power wise )..
( Actually this is what the dealer commented on TT ... and i second him ! )

Some snaps :
the TT badge on rear

cute butt ( missing one more exhaust though )

top view

huge boot space

Some interior pics :

the cockpit

central console

the best part of all the design - plate which covers the stereo...

And team-bhp members present - IMP, RedArrow, Hkanitkar - resp from left

PS: All pune guys - good news : Audi showrooms comin up on east street !!
Old 20th January 2006, 23:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whoa HK!! Lucky you.. so u will have an A6 in your building! When will this showroom be up and running?
Old 20th January 2006, 23:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice testdrive..Must have really enjoyed it. It would have been great only if it were a bit more power, say arnd 250bhp.
Old 21st January 2006, 00:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

you luck bum!
why didn't you called me?
i was wrtting some stupid C programmes when you were driving TT?
Old 22nd January 2006, 00:03   #5
BHPian

The BOSE is an optional system.. NO brochure says that it comes with bose speakers as standard...
So what u heard was just simple component speakers..
And dont think the RS is anywhere compared to the TT... It costs 35 lacs because there are so many other equipment which are not available on the RS and the 105% customs duty too.. Try adding them on a standard RS and see the huge jump in Price...
Well we all know how much the engine is capable of going upto...
Cheers

Cheers..
Old 22nd January 2006, 00:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review. But can u shed some more light on the A6 u r dads friend has booked. We r planning to get one too, how much have they qouted to him ex-showroom?
Old 22nd January 2006, 00:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

nice review
but the Auti TT comes in just 2 engine variants 3.2Quattro and 1.8T (and the 225 bhp quattro)...
1.8T Quattro sports is tuned by audi to deliver round about 240horses (TC'd)
the 1.8T does adequately power this car but the one we find in india is way detuned to 155 bhp..
but i think all it really needs is an ECU remapping..
Old 22nd January 2006, 12:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
the 1.8T does adequately power this car but the one we find in india is way detuned to 155 bhp..
but i think all it really needs is an ECU remapping..
yup i second that.. that 150 bhp output is very low compared to other bits given into the car.

@evo - we were informed that the standard fitment are bose speakers for all audis ( A4, A6, TT ) ... checkout the scan from brochure:

it states that the Audi Partner will infom you what are the standard fitments for your model

also, Comparing/ prefering RS to TT - its just that i dont think i'll ever buy the TT for 35 lakhs, considering overall conditions of our roads, and will opt for the RS which has same capacity engine and more suited for our roads ( road clearance, maintenance etc wise )

peace.
Old 24th January 2006, 15:45   #9
BHPian

pretty good HK....I agree with you though that 35lakhs for a 150bhp car is steep
Old 30th January 2006, 01:28   #10
BHPian

My friend... That is if u choose the BOSE option then only u get the speakers.. The HU remains the same but the amp and the speakers change when u choose the BOSE system.. Bose doesnt make any HU..
Old 30th January 2006, 01:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
pretty good HK....I agree with you though that 35lakhs for a 150bhp car is steep
Spend Rs. 2 lakh more and u get a 240 BHP car... Its that simple...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks