Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 01:34   #1
BHPian

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine

to myself to kick off my laziness and deciding to write a long buying and ownership report @ 1250 kms. Tribute to my old pal who stuck with me thru thick and thin.

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-20.jpg

DECISION:

It all started July last year when my wifey wanted a brand new car for our little one that'll be arriving by December 2010 end. Me too was feeling the heat (literally) as my 1998 Esteem VX's Air-con had gone for a toss and was advised by my mechanic to go in for a complete change in the AC system and it was time for a radiator change as well as a front right wheel bearing change which was adding new thumps to my old pioneer's music at each and every pothole I came across.

But I was adamant in not getting a car by Dec 2010 even though i planned to have the car for at least 6 years or so. This has been my ideology with all my past 3 bikes and the present one all coming into our house only during first half of the year. so we thought of Jan 2011 to be the right month but I thought instead of Jan if I just delay it for another couple of months i.e March I might get a 2011 model with lots of offers and freebies too.

So we (Dad, mom, wifey & me) wanted a big car for our small budget 5.5L and the car that could fit in was the Indigo CS LS trim. Even though I did not have a daily mileage of not more than 14kms my monthly running would easily cross 1500kms cos of the 2 long trips i usually take every month. I did not think about any other cars at all and it was decided that it'll be the Indigo CS in black. But future had diff plans, my dad discussed about the car, the maintenance cost, down payment & EMI workout's to my uncle who shocked us within a fortnight bringing home a black Indigo CS with a wide grin on his face.

We were all shell shocked but i was not keen on proceeding to buy the same CS. But there was no other cars I had considered till date so i was left blank with no options and a stringent budget. But thanx to my friend Jayanth who introduced me to TBHP. Started spending hours & hours going thru a lot of unbiased experiences / threads shared by BHPians. This was the time I thought why not a hatchback? - I could get a fully loaded car with safety features for a bit extended budget of mine.

Priorities:
  • Trusted Engine
  • Ingress & Egress
  • Low maintenance
  • A.S.C Availability
  • Mileage
  • Spacious
CONTENDERS:

FIGO - PUNTO - SWIFT - VISTA

FIGO
+ Right ratio of space.
+ Fun to drive car.
+ Zero turbo lag, felt just like driving a petrol car.
+ Dr.Seat height adjust
+ Superb AC

- Ingress & Egress for my wifey & parents. They found it quiet similar to esteem. They weren't comfortable.
- Lack of rear power windows (seat will be used mostly by my parents)
- I had the ABC pedals cramped for a big foot like me.
- Poor Ground Clearance. Body scraped many times during test drive.
- Lack of proper bumpers and noisy engine too.

PUNTO

+ It's a FIAT what else do you need?

- I was not able to sit at the rear with driver's seat adjusted to my comfort levels.

This one point made me come out of the showroom.

SWIFT

+ Fun to drive
+ M.A.S.S
+ Road Presence

- Cramped & claustrophobic
- Too many on road
- Waiting time
- the next model was in the pipeline

VISTA

+ QDJ
+ Super Spacious
+ Super Silent cabin
+ Super Road Presence
+ Tilt Steering & Height Adjust (From my wifey's)

- T.A.S.C

So now the final verdict was from the family and it was the VISTA that had swept everybody of their feet during the test drives. So I decided to go in for a Refreshed VISTA AURA ABS model. Its now that the real test starts as its time for me to use every single post that i had gone thru to gather knowledge on buying a new car.

Shopping Around:

Scene 1:

After all those window shopping stuff, started with the quotes for the car as well as the loan during the 3rd week of Feb 2011. Gem Motors and TAFE Access were the two TATA showrooms available in coimbatore. Both had the same offers running but chose TAFE the reason being that its just 1 km from my office. The Dealer offered me 15k exchange bonus, free insurance and accessories worth 3000 free. I asked the dealer for a swapping of insurance amount for a cash discount and instead of free accessories asked for a 4k cash discount for which they were not ready, I wanted to go for my own insurance as I had 35% NCB on my Esteem in that way i can save at least another 5k. In the meantime it was already Feb end and this sales guy comes with his offer they'll go ahead with 4k cash discount instead of free accessories.

Scene2:

Magnificent March 2nd comes with a few more surprises for me yes the exchange bonus has gone up to 25k but the vehicle cost also went up by 6k (Mktg trick) The offer for my Esteem is 1.10L including exchange bonus. I told the SE Mr.Anand from TAFE that Gem Motors is offering me 1.15L so I would be going with them, he speaks to his manager Mr. Khaleel who is a very rude person with a Buy it or leave it attitude and they come up with 1.15L for my Esteem. I get a quote for a 0% depreciation plan from United India Insurance at around 10.7k using my 35% NCB, 5k less than what the dealer had to offer.

Scene3:

March 9th threw me some more surprises TATA's cash discount went on to 15k from 10k and that was the moment I was waiting for told the Dealer that i would go with 15k + 4k (dealer) cash Discount and I don't need insurance from them. Booked Cavern Grey Vista Aura ABS immediately by paying 5k as advance amount. I was allotted a Feb 2011 manufactured car that was readily available in the yard and I said I'll take delivery on the 24th. Now was the time for the loan guys to come into picture, got many offers with high % of interest from TATA finance, Federal bank and SBI but too many documents and conversations.

So this is what i did for the loan from HDFC. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2276872

Went on 22nd did all the PDI as per the checklist paid the remaining cash and handed over the cheque from HDFC and told SE Mr.Anand that I will be taking delivery on 24th by 11.30am

Delivery Day:

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-p1000029.jpg
On 24th march we went to TAFE by 11am finished all the preliminary checks (the guy who delivered the car to me was not at all happy as i insisted on seeing each and everything before rating them) signed those documents, gifted Mr.Anand with a Parker pen set, exchanged numbers and off we were to my favorite temple for the pooja's.

Enjoyed the IND - AUS match that noon and my VISTA was a perfect fit at the parking space instead of my trusty ESTEEM. Next day it was time to dress her up so went to SUN COMBINES @ RTO road and got 4 packy poda cut mats, number plates and 3M RE35 for the side and the rear. Got a discount of 20% as Aravind the owner happens to be a good friend of mine. Then off we went Fatima Tyres near lakshmi mills and got Chrome Element alloys for a price of 13k for a set of 4. Finally went to Autozone T.A.S.C for fitting Mud Flaps and it was done for Rs.332.

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-vista-2.jpg

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-p1000042.jpg

Initial Observations:
  • The car is a breeze to drive in B2B traffic, just slot her into the right gear just leave the clutch she'll glide smoothly without nudging.
  • Bluetooth audio system is a boon, sound quality is good for a stock audio system.
  • AC is perfect for coimbatore climate and i did not find the need for CR70 for the front windshield.
  • Seats are pretty comfortable for all 5.
  • The turbo kicks in @ 1750rpm and my wife just loves it.
  • Interiors are quite attractive but am not sure if I can keep the black & beige clean always.
A few milestones

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-1.jpg

Not so good Observations:
  • From the day 1 it gives a tak tak tak sound exactly thrice when the vehicle's AC is turned on.
  • At times even when the AC's recirculate mode is switched on also i can smell the smoke from the vehicle before me.
  • Left rear door speaker has a mild vibration at high pitched songs.
  • Gear knob had a slight jerk whenever i accelerate.
Bad Day: 18th April

I just returned back home from my tirunelveli trip by a friends scorpio and my parents were ready with a bad news

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-18042011372.jpg

I don't have words to describe the feeling i had after seeing this. I don't know how this happened but am sure i did not hear a sound while driving so am assuming that it happened when the vehicle was parked somewhere.

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-18042011373.jpg

Immediately took her to TAFE who quoted me 4k and 2 days for the entire process. So I thought may be leave it like that till her first service which was due on 25th Apr. But as usual I couldn't leave her with that eye sore so took her to Autozone where she was inspected by SA Mr.Suresh who said he can get the job done in 6 hrs and the cost should be around 1k but wanted me to bring the car after 3 days as their bodyshop was already filled with vehicles cos of some free camp going on.

Had been to salem on a business trip and came back in heavy downpour, luckily avoided Avinashi road stretch and gave the vehicle for service on the 25th april with 1239kms on the ODO. Insisted on a oil change but they were not ready to change to a brand that TATA does not recommend here being Mobil Delvac MX and it would void my warranty. So planning to get it done at some local workshop sometime next week.

1st Service Update @ 1239kms
  • ASSY ACTUATOR MOTOR for Air & Temp Mode was changed under warranty so no more tak tak tak sound.
  • Left rear Speaker vibration gone.
  • 3M Under-body Coating with 5 year warranty and 10 free inspections @ Rs.2206 has been done.
  • The Scratch at the rear was removed for Rs.938 (They have a procedure called RAPID where minor dents are removed in 1hr)
SO FAR SO GOOD!

Last edited by smrtdvl : 27th April 2011 at 11:14.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 12:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine

Congrats on your new car, as well as for the effort you put in putting up the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
The Scratch at the rear was removed for Rs.938 (They have a procedure called RAPID where minor dents are removed in 1hr)
Any 'after' pics from this exercise?
Old 27th April 2011, 12:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!!

Welcome to the Vista club.

Vista is a great car for sure. I have clocked 15k on the odo till date and zero issues with the car.

I agree with all the positives and negatives you have mentioned here about Vista. Regarding the Tata A.S.S., I haven't faced any issue till date. May be I am just plain lucky. But, I know one thing that Tata are trying hard to improve the service.

All the 'not so good observations' that you mentioned are actually defects. Good you got them rectified immediately.

Even though mine is a petrol Vista, I must say Vista rocks in the QJD avatar.

Enjoy your time with her. Wishing you many happy miles.

BTW, those alloys look smashing. They go well with the Cavern Grey exterior colour.

Do keep updating the thread regularly. And please add more pics, will you?
Old 27th April 2011, 14:31   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on the new buy, I've clocked 25.5Km in 1year of owning the Vista, some real adventure trips, its truely epitomizes "VFM". No Issues no let downs infact some positive surprises with TASS for me.

+1 for the alloys
Old 27th April 2011, 15:16   #5
BHPian

Now, that is what I would call a really comprehensive review. Congrats on your grey beauty. The alloys also look very nice.

I can understand your feelings on seeing the scratch. Good thing you managed to get rid of it cheaply.

Regarding the Esteem to Vista switch, the Vista boot space is not that big. Are you missing the Esteem boot during long drives ? You must also be missing the 'first off the block at the green lights' mode possible with the Esteem. No room for regrets on any other fronts, I should say.

Drive safe and keep the updates coming in.
Old 27th April 2011, 16:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy, its indeed a great car and a great buy..
Totally agree to you, the hatches nowadays especially Figo and Vista makes one realize that by opting for hatches one is not missing anything when compared to Sedans..

Quote:
Bad Day: 18th April

I just returned back home from my tirunelveli trip by a friends scorpio and my parents were ready with a bad news
I did not understand this you mentioned your parents were ready with the bad news, did your parents drive the car when you were not there??

Quote:
The Scratch at the rear was removed for Rs.938 (They have a procedure called RAPID where minor dents are removed in 1hr)
INR 938 for scratch removal is a very good deal, I am sure if had it been Fiat/ Ford/ VW it might have come higher.

Good that you changed, had it been me, I would have left it as it is...
Was the steel showing up or did it stil have a coat of primer on it.
Old 27th April 2011, 16:50   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! The alloys are looking great. Your Esteem got you a pretty decent amount. Please do post some pics of the interiors. Can you also mention what mileage are you able to get out of it.
Old 27th April 2011, 16:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
[*]ASSY ACTUATOR MOTOR for Air & Temp Mode was changed under warranty so no more tak tak tak sound.
Congrats on your car. I had similar problem but at around 20000km.

The vista's trusty but expect to have niggles. Specifically, go easy with the interiors - they don't seem to last, atleast not in my usage. Did you get a call from the tata guys from mumbai? Go complain if even the slightest thing is wrong. It works wonders.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to myself to kick off my laziness and deciding to write a long buying and ownership report @ 1250 kms.
for that - I had to wipe my eyes clean when I saw this thread with you for the thread owner!

Superb write up da!! What I cannot digest is TASS crying out "Warranty!" if you want to use your own engine oil - which is definitely better than the Castrol GTD or HP Milcy that they have. Anyone else with a Vista QJD care to comment - are you using what TASS doles out, or are you getting your own engine oil?
Old 28th April 2011, 00:43   #10
BHPian

Thanx to All and a special thanx to ph03n!x for being there for me & my Vista.

@benbsb29
The after effect of RAPID Dent Removal

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-p1000095.jpg
VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-p1000098.jpg

@ajay_satpute
Agree with you cos to my surprise both my visits to Autozone TASS was good enough. They were very courteous and understanding.

VISTA QDJ My Desi Car with a Videshi Engine-p1000100.jpg

Will add some more pics ASAP. Planning to debadge the smaller Indica lettering.

@kartikk
Expecting the same from TASS in my city too. I got these alloys after a hunt for 7 days in 5 shops and around 30 designs.

@ vkumars
Nope I don't miss the boot as of now in fact parking her near my office is quiet easy cos usually its my Esteem's boot that sticks outside the parking line. As for the boot i used the 60:40 seats on my recent trip to salem which is quiet effective.

@ xingamazon
You stole my words man. As it was raining cats and dogs on 16th Apr when I left coimbatore I did not notice the scratch & dent when I parked the car but it was clearly seen in broad daylight by my parents the next day. The primer was showing up like a sore thumb and in fact TAFE TASS did quote me 4k for the dent removal.

@ Saanil
Photoshoot will be done at the earliest. I get around 15kmpl in city B2B traffic with 100% AC. This is just a rough calculation and am yet to go for a tankful to tankful calculation.

@ nukeblitz
Nobody is perfect man. So I think Vista will keep me happy forever. No calls yet, but will keep that in mind.

@ ph03n!x
I just felt I need to give back something to this forum that has helped me so much on choosing my companion. Will be changing oil & oil filter sometime next week @ a local workshop.
Old 28th April 2011, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is Autozone an exclusive TATA-Fiat service? I would like a few nicks cleaned up from car too - they have done a great job at a decent price too!
Old 28th April 2011, 14:06   #12
BHPian

Hey smrtdvl!

Congrats on your new car!

Vista is a sure VFM product. So many goodies at a very attractive price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Congratulations on the new buy, I've clocked 25.5Km in 1year of owning the Vista, some real adventure trips, its truely epitomizes "VFM". No Issues no let downs infact some positive surprises with TASS for me.

+1 for the alloys
hehehe .. just 25.5 KM in a year?? That was a typo right?

But come to think of it, 25.5K Km in a year?? did you sleep, eat etc etc in the car itself??

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 14:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
hehehe .. just 25.5 KM in a year?? That was a typo right?

But come to think of it, 25.5K Km in a year?? did you sleep, eat etc etc in the car itself??

Cheers!
Opps !! you got me

I did a couple of trips to Pune (once I carried my Schwinn with me), Chennai once each to Mangalore, Bekal Fort (tu hi re song from Bombay), Goa, Madurai, Hoggenakal, Yeracaud, Ellagiri and forgot the count to Mysore. Now when I think of it I have "holidayed" a lot. Vista does surprise you.

Last edited by kartikk : 28th April 2011 at 14:48.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Is Autozone an exclusive TATA-Fiat service? I would like a few nicks cleaned up from car too - they have done a great job at a decent price too!
They have 2 service facilities one functions exclusively for TATA and the other one for all other cars but only TASC has this RAPID gadget it seems. Yeah you should look at her in person its just a perfect work done.
Old 29th April 2011, 20:57   #15

Congratulations on the new car smrtdvl. I own one too and trust me this car is one heck of a highway tourer.

Quote:
Can you give us more details on this procedure named RAPID. The pricing seems to be quite vfm. Is it available at all T.A.S.Cs? I have a small dent on the Front RHS fender of my vista QJD. Also there is a one inch scratch which reveals a white layer on the fender.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks