Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 03:22   #1546
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
IIRC, 4100k HIDs is what is legally allowed as per the IMVA. Please correct me if wrong.
I think you mean 4300K. 4100K is extremely rare to source. Most OEM applications use 4300K. The commonly available ones are 4300K, 5000K, 6000K and 8000K. 6000K being the most preferred aftermarket upgrade due to its intense white color. AFAIK there are no restrictions on color temperature. What the law states is that its illegal to install HID lamps in reflectors designed for Halogen bulbs. However, IIRC this is not specified in India.

The only related rule here prohibits use of lamps that cause excessive glare. I believe this is categorized as 'Dazzling Lights'.

However, in the verna fog lamp reflector, there is next to no change in beam pattern. It's wider than the halogen lamp's beam, but the vertical beam coverage is unaltered. Hence there is no glare to oncoming traffic. I've opened a thread on the install and will be putting up beam shots soon. So we can compare.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:54   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Congrats Chitta. Do put up some pics.

As for better bass from the ovals, you need to cut out the area underneath them. This will give you a punchier system.

I'm surprised you don't find any difference. My car has components in the rear tray and the feeling is so much better than stock. I can clearly feel the surround effect now. If I set the rear to +4, the rear speakers over shadow the front.

Update on my car - Installed 6000k HIDs in the fog lamps. Did not do any jugaad. I bought HIDs in 881 type socket from china. Took 20 days for delivery but was well worth the wait since they're designed for this socket.

I will be putting up a detailed review very soon. Tied up at the moment.
Thanks Tassem. Surely I will post some pictures of the oval speakers fitted over the rear tray. The finess is not impressive, but it is not a problem as these are not clearly seen from inside of the car. The bass now can be heard & felt at the rear seat, but not at the driver's seat. The sound box type of effect is missing as the underneath tray is intact & there is a very small gap between the magnet & the metal tray.

Cheers
Old 14th January 2012, 18:44   #1548
BHPian

I am uploading some pictures of the rear oval speakers & the new seat cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0030.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0039.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0041.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0044.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0046.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0047.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0059.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0060.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0063.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dscn0070.jpg  

Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 11:15   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Chitta, thanks for sharing the pictures of the speakers & the seat covers. The seat covers gel very well with the car's interiors. Is it genuine leather or art leather. How much did it cost you?
Old 15th January 2012, 19:48   #1550
Senior - BHPian

It looks like art leather. One suggestion - get rid of that steering grip and get a genuine leather grip done, Will go a long way in improving the looks and feel. Current one looks a little out of place IMO.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:30   #1551
BHPian

It is art leather probably, not sure, cost- 4.5K. The owner is a friend of mine. Today I had been to one relatives place approx 30 km away from my home & I took a FE test. While going at around 11 A.M., the AC was on @ 20 degree celcius, we were four incuding a kid inside the car with very little luggage. Speed mainained @ 80-85 kmph. While coming back at 10.30 P.M. the AC was off due to chillness of the weather, front defogger on, speed was around 70 kmph.

The MID FE while going was 24.5 kmpl, while coming back- MID FE was a whopping 27.2 kmpl. The actual FE as measured by me earlier on TFM was always less by 1-1.5 kmpl. Even then the actual FE today works out to be 23 kmpl & 25.7 kmpl which is really incredible. MID FE stabilizes after a run of around 5/7 km., thus this FE over a run of 30 km can be fairly relied upon.

This is what the car can deliver if driven well at a speed of around 80 kmph. I have taken photographs of both the MID FEs, but am not not able to upload as the size is 2.1 mb. Is there any method by which I can upload these photos.

Thanks bala for your suggestion. I will try to find out a good leather cover for the steering. What I want is the cover shoud be as thin as possible & should be very securely fixed to the steering. The so called leather verities costing around Rs 600-700 avialable here are to be fixed by way of sewing with a matching thread( supplied by the manufacturer). I some how do not like those, as I feel a type of hump at the sewing line through out the steering & they do not fit as tightly to my liking. Other verities available can be directly fixed but are very thick which does not feel good to me while driving.

Any idea on that plz. If some one can upload the steering cover pictures, it would be of great hepl to me.

THanks
Old 16th January 2012, 01:09   #1552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Is there any method by which I can upload these photos.
Open the images in mspaint & just save it. This could bring down the size. Else use "picture manager" or some software and "compress" the pictures - should be a fairly easy procedure.

Quote:
I will try to find out a good leather cover for the steering. What I want is the cover shoud be as thin as possible & should be very securely fixed to the steering.
Frankly, though I noticed the steering cover, I skipped mentioning it as I always do point it out - didn't want to be picturized as a "nit picky guy" There are leather steering grips available in aftermarket shops for around 400/- which comes with a long lace. This type will not be stitched, but fastened with the lace and will have a neat finish once tied properly. You might want to have a check on this - there are different color options also available; grey, beige, black etc! I doubt this will have the "hump" in the middle portion - I have it in my car and am extremely comfortable. Or else you might need to contact Ovion or Stanley who gives tremendous finish albeit expensive; or some extremely good installer in your city.

PS
:: I am NOT so happy about your Xplod 6x9s as well! You could have chosen a JBL or Polk and would have been a better choice.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th January 2012 at 01:11. Reason: Adding "PS" portion.
Old 16th January 2012, 07:57   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Open the images in mspaint & just save it. This could bring down the size. Else use "picture manager" or some software and "compress" the pictures - should be a fairly easy procedure.

PS
:: I am NOT so happy about your Xplod 6x9s as well! You could have chosen a JBL or Polk and would have been a better choice.
Thanks for your sugesstion. I have opened the pictures in piant & the size has come down to with in the permissible limit of 1MB.

Here all music shops are not keen to fix rear ovals in Verna Fludic. The shop who agreed to had only Sony & JVC ovals. I opted for Sony. When sound output to the rear is so poor, even better quality speakers would not dramatically improve the sound quality IMO. Any way, I am also planning for a sub & amp & I think once installed I would connect the ovals to the amp & see what difference it makes.

Here I go with pictures that show MID FE as narrated in my earlier post.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-picture1.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-picture2.jpg  

Old 16th January 2012, 13:24   #1554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any way, I am also planning for a sub & amp & I think once installed I would connect the ovals to the amp & see what difference it makes.
Even while connecting to the amp, a better brand speaker would make more difference. And from what I understand, connecting an amp to component speakers yield better results than connecting to the 6x9s.

Two suggestions:

1. If you plan to install amp, please change the 6x9s to components or co-axials.

2. If you decide to have 6x9s, please buy a pair of polk or JBL.

Edit:: IF the shops don't have options, please try & buy it somewhere else or get it shipped. Am sure you will love music more with a pair of JBLs or Polks!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th January 2012 at 13:26. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 14:42   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
It is art leather probably, not sure, cost- 4.5K. The owner is a friend of mine. Today I had been to one relatives place approx 30 km away from my home & I took a FE test. While going at around 11 A.M., the AC was on @ 20 degree celcius, we were four incuding a kid inside the car with very little luggage. Speed mainained @ 80-85 kmph. While coming back at 10.30 P.M. the AC was off due to chillness of the weather, front defogger on, speed was around 70 kmph.

The MID FE while going was 24.5 kmpl, while coming back- MID FE was a whopping 27.2 kmpl. The actual FE as measured by me earlier on TFM was always less by 1-1.5 kmpl. Even then the actual FE today works out to be 23 kmpl & 25.7 kmpl which is really incredible. MID FE stabilizes after a run of around 5/7 km., thus this FE over a run of 30 km can be fairly relied upon.
THanks
Hi Chitta,

Great info here on new Verna. Thanks for sharing the same. I am just curious to know if it is driven around 100-110, how much FE i can expect. Any chance that you have driven at this speed and checked the FE?

BTW, i am seriously considering Verna crdi as my next buy. Anything in particular you would like to advise considering me having SX4 petrol now?

OT - I am from Balasore. Which place you are from originally?
Old 16th January 2012, 18:02   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
BTW, i am seriously considering Verna crdi as my next buy. Anything in particular you would like to advise considering me having SX4 petrol now?
Long time DD buddy. Please test drive it your complete satisfaction. have a look carefully at the rear view available after you adjust the seat to your comfort. It's a nice car considering the overall package.

Last edited by optimist : 16th January 2012 at 18:05. Reason: spelling
Old 16th January 2012, 19:40   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Long time DD buddy. Please test drive it your complete satisfaction. have a look carefully at the rear view available after you adjust the seat to your comfort. It's a nice car considering the overall package.
Sirji, Nice to hear back from you too after a long time. Guess, you have upgraded your i10 to Verna now.
Old 16th January 2012, 20:07   #1558
Senior - BHPian

There are 2 types of finish, hand stitched and machine stitched. Hand stitched is more expensive and will perfectly match the requirements you mentioned. You can take a look at my hand stitched leather steering cover from stanley at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2530271

I paid around 2500 rs for it, but you can get it done for much less, trust me, its worth every rupee you spend.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Quote:

Thanks bala for your suggestion. I will try to find out a good leather cover for the steering. What I want is the cover shoud be as thin as possible & should be very securely fixed to the steering. The so called leather verities costing around Rs 600-700 avialable here are to be fixed by way of sewing with a matching thread( supplied by the manufacturer). I some how do not like those, as I feel a type of hump at the sewing line through out the steering & they do not fit as tightly to my liking. Other verities available can be directly fixed but are very thick which does not feel good to me while driving.
Any idea on that plz. If some one can upload the steering cover pictures, it would be of great hepl to me.

THanks
Old 16th January 2012, 20:50   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Hi Chitta,

Great info here on new Verna. Thanks for sharing the same. I am just curious to know if it is driven around 100-110, how much FE i can expect. Any chance that you have driven at this speed and checked the FE?

OT - I am from Balasore. Which place you are from originally?
One the highways I always travel @ 100-120 kmph & the FE with AC is round about 18 kmpl. The FE do drop with speed but not alarmingly. It does not pinch as I am paying more than Rs 20/- less than petrol for a lit.

In comaprision to SX4, you will sit lower, torque is much more & is great fun. Diesel niose is NIL while cruising on NH. Lot of added features. Do take a test drive & then decide.

I too am a native of Balasore Dist., currently working at Baripada.

Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 21:07   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
There are 2 types of finish, hand stitched and machine stitched. Hand stitched is more expensive and will perfectly match the requirements you mentioned. You can take a look at my hand stitched leather steering cover from stanley at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2530271

I paid around 2500 rs for it, but you can get it done for much less, trust me, its worth every rupee you spend.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks Bala. Your car's steering does look great. Does the hump around the stich bother you or not? I hope the leather is thin enough & the final thickness of the steering is OK. I like driving the car without any steering cover. Thus I am in search of a cover which will increase the thickness by a small margin. Hope I will find something similar to your's shortly & then upload pictures. The current steering cover ( cost- Rs. 40/-) is on since I am yet to find a suitable one for my requirement.

I would welcome your comments on this.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks