Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 10:07   #1846
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Can someone tell me the CRDI system that Hyundai has used for the RB's engine? The old Verna/ Getz came with Bosch, which was pretty robust. I heard that the i20 did not have Bosch, wondering what went in to Verna RB.
Old 23rd March 2013, 03:31   #1847
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

My name is Manish and I am proud to be a member of this awesome site. I was able to get in after 2 attempts. Makes it wonder like I passed an exam
I am an IT guy and work for Microsoft supporting servers. I bought my beloved Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI last year and took the delivery on 24th June 2012. Pics from the day of delivery and the seat covers i got changed.

Seat covers are from Dolphin which cost me 9k.
I have covered 10k kms till now and due for the next service this weekend.
Overall, love the cars performance and FE as I only drive it on NH8 mainly going to office everyday(40 kms).
But I too face the problems with the suspension being too soft and bouncy.
Will enquire about it with the service center when I visit and get them to change it as there has been quite a bit of scraping on multiple occasions under the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dsc09922.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dsc09925.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dsc09926.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dsc09927.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dsc09928.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dsc09929.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20120731_183844.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20120731_183927.jpg  

mani_jeenu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 03:44   #1848
BHPian

Got my Verna serviced yesterday from Kirti Nagar Service Station. I usually go everytime to the Mayapuri station but it was too crowded so they referred me there.
It cost me 5k after tax.
engine oil crdi 5.5 litre 1250
filter cartridge 1685
filter air cleaner 292
service kit oil filter 352
weights balance 133
labor (wheel balancing)380
labor (alignment) 575
and i thought the labor was free :(
To add to my horror, they dented it when I went to get the car back in the evening. They accepted their fault without much fuss and agreed to fix it for free. Will have to take it back to them over the weekend as otherwise it will disrupt my office time. Regarding the TSB for coil spring replacement, they are not aware about it and have no news on it from Hyundai.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20130324_192244.jpg  

Old 28th April 2013, 21:53   #1849
BHPian

I hardly see any review (let it be long term ownership / Initial Ownership / Road Test review) regarding Verna Fluidic which is supposed to be a top seller in its segment, where as I a lot of reviews (Intial Ownership) about Duster, Vento, Ertiga etc. Are Verna owners not much interested in sharing thier experiences? I dont know if any one will read this thread and answer. The last one was initial ownership review on 10th April after a long gap. I would be very happy to see more user reviews please...

Last edited by Seran Manian : 28th April 2013 at 22:14.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 02:14   #1850
BHPian

I second that Seran Manian. I haven't seen any posts in this thread since I joined.

Anyways, I was visiting a friend today in Greater Noida(near Pari Chowk). When I arrived at his house after a 55km drive from delhi, we went to get his santro xing from the service center their along with his dad in my car.

On reaching there, I decided to ask the workshop guy there if Hyundai has issued any TSB for suspension issues in Hyundai Verna Fluidic and he flatly said no on my face. Asking about the manager and he was not in office that day.
I decided to have a look around as I remember from my past visits that they usually have TSB's on their notice board on the workshop floor.
And luckily I found this. Image attached.
Questioning them again and he was clueless.
Will be going to my regular service center this Saturday and asking them.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20130428_172425.jpg  

mani_jeenu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 12:01   #1851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
I second that Seran Manian. I haven't seen any posts in this thread since I joined.

Anyways, I was visiting a friend today in Greater Noida(near Pari Chowk). When I arrived at his house after a 55km drive from delhi, we went to get his santro xing from the service center their along with his dad in my car.

On reaching there, I decided to ask the workshop guy there if Hyundai has issued any TSB for suspension issues in Hyundai Verna Fluidic and he flatly said no on my face. Asking about the manager and he was not in office that day.
I decided to have a look around as I remember from my past visits that they usually have TSB's on their notice board on the workshop floor.
Mani_Jeenu, Thanks for sharing such an important news. Hope this helps many Hyundai Fluidic Verna owners to reduce the famous, rather 'in famous' thus noise.
Old 29th April 2013, 20:26   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
I
Very useful piece of information & thanks for sharing. My SA had agreed about the tsb, but said that my VIN no. is not included.

Plz. share further details once you come to know about this.

Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 21:45   #1853
BHPian

So well,

We Verna owners are a happy lot
Let me share some experiences. This is more like a "Multiple Vernas" review so hang in there.

I had a Verna from 2008-2012 - 3.5 years.
Drove it about 78000 kms before selling it. See Details on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omparison.html

Then I bought the Fluidic Verna in 2012 a week after I sold the old one.

The 17000 kms that I have driven on the new Fluidic have been effortless with speeds up to 180 with much better confidence than on the previous Verna. I still have the same complaints about the car that I had during the above review, because I have seen better (the older Verna), but have grown to live with those minor shortcomings.
Vernas seem to be known for a universal joint trouble which appears in year 2 mostly, and results in a click when you go in a pothole or take a full turn (Some might say it is the drive shaft, but it really isn't - not atleast in the Verna). That said, its a harmless though annoying issue, and the Hyundai guys replace it free of cost under warranty.
The only other trouble I ever had (in the Old Verna) is the headlight dipper switch which started getting 'stuck' due to over usage cos of night travel. And I got it replaced (free of course).
Never had any other issues with the old Verna.

The new Verna is now a little more than a year old and now I am faintly hearing the "so familiar" click on the universal joint. Intending to get it replaced under warranty, but other than that, the car drives very well, but it scrapes speed breakers on full load, and I am not happy about that (but have grown to live with it like ANHC owners). The GC is 5 mm lesser at 165 mm (or 163 ?) now as opposed to 170 earlier.
FE - The old Verna used to give me 12-17 at best depending on city (12-13) or highway (15-17). The new Fluidic has given me a low of 14 (ever), and a best of 26 (Pune - Mumbai expressway), and on most highway trips a 18-21 depending on how heavy my right foot gets.

I have now completed 17000 kms in this car (which is on a car lease plan), and have to let it go, since I am letting the company go

So I set out to do TD's of many cars, and here is my review (wait till you reach the end of this).

Note - most of my reviews are based on my experience with my current Fluidic as baselline.

Honda Amaze - looked like DZire, and nobody in the showroom attended to us for a full 5 minutes, and we just walked out (and noone stopped us either).

VW - Tried Vento and Jetta - both drive ok (Jetta drives very well), but lack some features in terms of gadgets etc.

Renault - Drove Duster - NOT HAPPY! Lazy Underpowered engine, cheap plastics, and lack of basics like climate control etc. Scala - Good car, has most features, but again - underpowered.

Toyota - still old looks on the corolla... Didnt like the way Etios looks.

Mahindra - XUV - Very nice car, had TD'd it last year but this time round, didn't feel a punch - felt very ordinary somehow.

Hyundai - Elantra - Chic looks, engine is the same as Fluidic Verna (did not want to spend 6 lakhs for only ventilated seats and cruise control). plus since its the same engine as the Verna, which now pulls a 100 extra kgs, the car takes its own sweet time to pick up speed.

Merc - TD'd the B class - blown away, but a price tag of 32 lakhs blew me off as well Was looking forward to the A class hatch, but thats 26-28 as well, and I may not spend that much this time round.

Skoda - Did not TD - scared of their A$$ and super expensive maintainence.

Chevy - Cruz, Fiat - Linea - Did not TD these, but wifey didn't like the looks anyway so didn't go there. Plus Fiat really needs to change that grill (No offense fiaters, just bored of that look now).

Ford - new Fiesta - nice car, but underpowered. Ecosport - looks awesome, but launch date nowhere in sight.

So.. call me stupid but I made a decision I know I will not regret - not for the next 3 years atleast - I went and booked myself another Verna SX CRDi. I honestly believe that there is no car that offers all the features and power at that price point, and I could have saved the 3 weeks of Test Drives and detailed analysis of features and prices for all Sedans in the market.

This time I chose a white color as opposed to the black one I currently have. Something should change atleast.
All I am saying is that I have been a very happy owner of the brand as well as the Model. Buying a verna the 3rd time round is probably not agreeable to most of you, but that does speak to some extent about the confidence I have in the car and its performance.

This will be my 3rd Verna (and last one I think), and I plan to go in for a luxury sedan next time round (or even a Merc B class), and hoping there will be many more options available to us then.

Another thing is that after TD'ing and analysing all the vehicles in the market, I actually felt ashamed of what we are being offered in the Indian market. The same models abroad, come so much cheaper, and have latest technologies available as standard, but here it looks like, we are considered a backward market, gaping with mouth wide open at every new car that comes into our market even though its an empty box inside. Hey - Indians may not need Climate control or cruise control.. why bother adding it to the model.. that is the attitude of the Car manufacturers here.

Very few cars have Cruise control in the 10-20 lakh segment: Fiesta, XUV, Jetta and a couple of other high-end ones, and I don't know when that will change. Cruise control is just an example. i20 being a hatch has LED lamps as parking lights, auto rain sensors, auto headlamps, but the Verna top-end doesn't have any of those, and the list of examples can just go on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I hardly see any review (let it be long term ownership / Initial Ownership / Road Test review) regarding Verna Fluidic which is supposed to be a top seller in its segment, where as I a lot of reviews (Intial Ownership) about Duster, Vento, Ertiga etc. Are Verna owners not much interested in sharing thier experiences? I dont know if any one will read this thread and answer. The last one was initial ownership review on 10th April after a long gap. I would be very happy to see more user reviews please...

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd May 2013 at 06:45. Reason: Adding FE figures
amitwadhwa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 21:59   #1854
BHPian

Thanks for the nice update amitwadhwa. That tells the amount of confidence you have in Fluidic Verna and the problems you faced with it are bearable and not alarming. I hope this will inspire many BHP-ans to go for Verna Fluidic.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:12   #1855
BHPian

Just read your post Sridhar, read my latest post on the same thread. Go with your heart, if you haven't already !
Wait period is only 1 week for all models of Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
I just sold my beast verna Crdi SX(2008) and was looking at each and every options available like Vento, Rapid, Ertiga, Innova, Duster but my heart says the Verna again.
The older one had a cracker of an engine, only reson for me to buy at that time, heard many good things about the new one too, seems like Fluidic Verna Crdi SX is worthy successor.
Will be going for the test drive and want to get one soon, does anybody have an idea if there is any waiting period for 1.6 CRDI SX even now?
Old 30th April 2013, 10:47   #1856
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
I hardly see any review (let it be long term ownership / Initial Ownership / Road Test review) regarding Verna Fluidic which is supposed to be a top seller in its segment, where as I a lot of reviews (Intial Ownership) about Duster, Vento, Ertiga etc. Are Verna owners not much interested in sharing thier experiences?
Since you have been pointed out this fact I would like you to know my side of the story. In 2010 it was time for us to get a new car and the options we were looking at ranged from SX4, Linea to the more preferred Xylo, Scorpio, Yeti and Aria keeping in mind that the last 10 years 2000 to 2010 my dad had been driving a Qualis and liked the idea of going in for an SUV rather than a sedan.

In the end, sensibility prevailed. Since both us brothers had moved out and the number of people traveling in the car was reduced there was no need for a fuel guzzling SUV and we stuck to the sedans. The final contenders being the Vento and the Verna. Comparing the features on both, the Indians that we are, felt cheated by VW to be offered a car with features equivalent to a hatchback. Booked the Verna, got it in 45 days. Logged 18k in 15 months and sold it off to get the 110 Duster. 18k is a decent number to achieve in 15 months so i think my opinion is based on justifiable usage of the vehicle.

What went wrong?
1. Got over the features in just about 5 months.
2. Soft suspension which unsettled the car which was capable of doing a good deal of mile munching.
3. In all the car felt loosely put together. Major contributors to this were a light steering and the bouncy suspension.
4. My dad still did not like the seating position and the road presence of a sedan.

About why i never wrote an ownership review?
Was just too lazy and the speed with which detailed posts flooded this thread at that time, I felt that most issues and aspects of the vehicle were being brought to light.

>>But one thing is for sure. I really miss the engine. never could have imagined a powerful engine with 128 bhp on tap could deliver 21-22 kmpl on highways. This was that one component in the vehicle which I fell in love with. And if you look at it, Hyundai as seemed to master the art of making mass market engines with good driveability ranging from the torquey 1L Santro to the 1.6L crdi unit in the Verna. Now, I haven't driven many Maruti cars but as far as the diesel engine is concerned it is the same Multijet engine in all their models which for one is not their own engine and secondly is not that great either. Have to appreciate Hyundai for that.

PS: How many Vernas have been banged by the Service centers? Latest is mani_jeenu's car. It happened to our vehicle on the right front door and took 3 days to repair. And i recollect at least 2 other incidents being reported on this thread...

Last edited by Tgo : 30th April 2013 at 10:51. Reason: Added PS:
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 12:06   #1857
BHPian

Tgo, thanks for the nice summary. Many Fluidic Verna users love the power but are all concerned about the feeling of steering not being connected at high speeds and the soft suspension. I really donot know why Hyundai is not concerned about this when it is able to record a good sale every month when Ford is struggling.
Old 30th April 2013, 21:15   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Ok went ahead and booked myself a black verna sx crdi today. Selling the old verna I have. This thread and wadhwas post made me do it. Thanks.

I was waiting for the skoda octavia but think I will buy that in a few months as my second car. Earlier planned to keep both vernas.

Got a good deal. Will post details tomorrow.
Old 30th April 2013, 21:58   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
PS: How many Vernas have been banged by the Service centers? Latest is mani_jeenu's car. It happened to our vehicle on the right front door and took 3 days to repair. And i recollect at least 2 other incidents being reported on this thread...
More or less this has to do with Hans Hyundai, Kirti Nagar (Atleast in Delhi). I have had a bad experience there too, they banged my i10, after some arguments and escalating to management, they repaired it.

As far as Delhi is concerned, Hans Hyundai is the worst service centre I have come across. A place I would strictly advise to avoid.

On a separate note, yes Verna does not set the road on fire when out on the highway and your decision might be right in selling her off. But, I think it is still the best complete package car in its class. The sales numbers also prove it, dont they?
Old 1st May 2013, 14:42   #1860
BHPian

Does anyone own or have test driven the 1.4L CRDi version on the Verna.I have not seen any reports of this variant on TBHP.

Any views would be grateful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks