Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2016, 10:18   #2521
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Coming from a Fiesta owner this is a good compliment for the Verna, if you're satisfied with the suspension both at city and highway speeds in this version I'm sure the facelift and facelift-2 (current-gen) would be even better as has been clarified in many reviews. Sure it cannot be expected to compete with the HPS steering of Fiesta as even the EPS of Ford itself cannot match that feel, but if you've found the stability and surge of Verna as largely positive then for sure the Verna has been criticised unfairly many a time.

I think the company has learnt quite a bit from the first/2nd gen i10/i20 mistakes in terms of tuning the suspension, hopefully they'll never repeat that mistake in all future models. Good deal price-wise, saved you perhaps a clean 5L, at a price which today which might just about get you a base i20.
I would say above 145 the Verna is more stable than the fiesta. Will now gradually adapt driving and enjoy the 4000+ rpm band when the Verna transforms into a beast. This is heart rate upping stuff and it scared me a little today

But nothing will beat the feeling of the Fiesta on a long turn at 80+.
#Respect

But like I said, with traffic the way it is, we petrol heads should not be criticizing cars too much for high speed turning characteristics ..unless its on race track!

I was getting a 20K kms 2 yr old Verna, same model for 50000/- less but I didnt get a good feeling from the car, it was driven by a 20 something year old and obviously thrashed around a bit, and it had a bit of rust. All covered under extended warranty, but I wanted a fresh car.

Now contemplating if I should opt for an extended warranty plan.

Last edited by Hatari : 25th April 2016 at 10:21.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 10:53   #2522
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.

I've not driven the Verna petrol but I find it hard to believe that the Verna feels more stable than the Fiesta above 145KmpH.

It's fundamental physics and I don't see anything that changes after 145 kmpH that suddenly makes a Verna more stable than the Fiesta.

Sorry to spoil the party but I don't think people should get too excited about this Verna Fiesta comparison and come to conclusions that Hyundai has mastered the art of driving dynamics or something like that 😀
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:12   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Sorry to spoil the party but I don't think people should get too excited about this Verna Fiesta comparison and come to conclusions that Hyundai has mastered the art of driving dynamics or something like that 😀
+1 to that. Actually things like driving dynamics is a part of a manufacturer brand DNA. It doesn't just appear in one model suddenly and then disappear in the next. It's either there in a brand, or not there completely. It's what differentiates brands and gives them their unique identity.

I think people coming from a Fiesta will be bound to experience a bit more stability like feeling in a Verna because of the bigger footprint and car size. So let our fellow bhp brethren enjoy the "bigger things in life" Good for them.
Old 25th April 2016, 12:34   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Congrats on the purchase.

I've not driven the Verna petrol but I find it hard to believe that the Verna feels more stable than the Fiesta above 145KmpH.

It's fundamental physics and I don't see anything that changes after 145 kmpH that suddenly makes a Verna more stable than the Fiesta.

Sorry to spoil the party but I don't think people should get too excited about this Verna Fiesta comparison and come to conclusions that Hyundai has mastered the art of driving dynamics or something like that ��
You should drive it, I was wary about it being referred to as a 'boat' on high speeds, so was very pleasantly surprised at its composure.

Dont know about the "art of driving dynamics", but the Fiesta steering of 2008 became very light at 145+, (compared to being stiffer at say 80) did you not experience this? In comparison the Verna tightened up nicely compared to its 'light' low speed feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
+1 to that. Actually things like driving dynamics is a part of a manufacturer brand DNA. It doesn't just appear in one model suddenly and then disappear in the next. It's either there in a brand, or not there completely. It's what differentiates brands and gives them their unique identity.

I think people coming from a Fiesta will be bound to experience a bit more stability like feeling in a Verna because of the bigger footprint and car size. So let our fellow bhp brethren enjoy the "bigger things in life" Good for them.
Where are you getting that the Verna handles better than the Fiesta

145+ is a reference to being driven in an absolute straight line.
Anyway, I think both of you missed my line below.. THAT encapsulates driving dynamics in my book :

Quote:
But nothing will beat the feeling of the Fiesta on a long turn at 80+.
#Respect

Last edited by Hatari : 25th April 2016 at 12:42.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 15:54   #2525
BHPian

Can people share how much mileage is their 1.6L Fluidic Verna Diesel giving in City conditions ?
Mine gives around 12 KM/L in Bangalore City condition and shoots up to 19 KM/L on highway rides. Is this within the range or on lower side ? Can something be done about it ?
Secondly, I see a lot of rattling coming from door and dashboard, has anyone faced similar issue and knows the solution ?
Old 5th July 2016, 17:03   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Mine gives around 12 KM/L in Bangalore City condition and shoots up to 19 KM/L on highway rides. Is this within the range or on lower side ? Can something be done about it
I have a 1.6L Diesel AT and mine gives around 9.5 or 10 kmpl in Delhi NCR in bumper to bumper traffic and goes up to around 16 kmpl on highways. I'm guessing yours is far better.
TheBigH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 09:57   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Can people share how much mileage is their 1.6L Fluidic Verna Diesel giving in City conditions ?
Mine gives around 12 KM/L in Bangalore City condition and shoots up to 19 KM/L on highway rides. Is this within the range or on lower side ? Can something be done about it ?
Secondly, I see a lot of rattling coming from door and dashboard, has anyone faced similar issue and knows the solution ?
The mileage of 12 KMPL in city and 19 KMPL on the highway seems quite correct. City mileage heavily depends on the traffic you encounter and can only be increased by changing your commute timings. For the highway mileage, a lesser aggressive driving style may result in the mileage going to the 20+ region. But, to keep the aggression in control when the beautiful 1.6 CRDi motor is under the hood is a difficult task. If I were you, I would be happy with the figures you are getting.

As for the rattles, I haven't got any in my car. I find the build quality quite robust. I suggest you take the car to the Service Center and take a Service Adviser for a test drive with you to show the problem to him. I have found the service guys to be very helpful and I believe they would be the best people to help and resolve your problem. All the best !
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 13:56   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Mine gives around 12 KM/L in Bangalore City condition and shoots up to 19 KM/L on highway rides. Is this within the range or on lower side ?
It is within the range. Sedate driving on the 6th gear at 80Kmph should see the mileage shoot up to 23-24 Kmpl.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 10:34   #2529
BHPian

My wonderful ownership experience continues!

One thing I have observed is that, the coolant level comes down by about a centimetre in about 3 months duration. The SA said that this is due to evaporation of the water part of the coolant. No leaks. I did not notice this in my previous car. Anyone else seeing the same?
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 17:46   #2530
BHPian

Yes I also have been running into this issue. It is frustrating. I keep a close watch on it and get it topped up as it goes down. Not sure if that's the best way out. The SA advised me to so this. He did not have a clue as to why this happens. Anybody else can shed some light on this?
eethanhunt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 09:59   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
My wonderful ownership experience continues!

One thing I have observed is that, the coolant level comes down by about a centimetre in about 3 months duration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post
Yes I also have been running into this issue. It is frustrating.
Hello guys,

After reading your posts, I went and checked the coolant level in my car. It was also just a little below the full mark. My car had been serviced in July, so it has been 4 months. Strange but seems to be present in all of our cars.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 03:18   #2532

Hello Everyone!

I'm having difficulties choosing between the Verna and the Vento TDI; I've driven both and I liked them; though I must say I enjoyed driving the Vento more. The Verna has whole lot of extra features compared to the Vento and I feel maintenance wise the Verna will be a better choice!
The car will be used in the city mainly however I do plan to take it for occasional long trips with my family (of three)!
Please suggest!
Old 1st December 2016, 06:39   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumilok View Post
Hello Everyone!

I'm having difficulties choosing between the Verna and the Vento TDI; I've driven both and I liked them; though I must say I enjoyed driving the Vento more. The Verna has whole lot of extra features compared to the Vento and I feel maintenance wise the Verna will be a better choice!

The car will be used in the city mainly however I do plan to take it for occasional long trips with my family (of three)!

Please suggest!

Would suggest that you wait for a couple of months. The City , Ciaz facelifts and the all new Verna will arrive. The Verna will probably be back on the C segment leaderboard.
Old 1st December 2016, 07:48   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Please suggest!
As Arjun Reddy mentioned, better wait for New Verna if you have liked it. Ciaz & City are current best cars in that segment.

Vento has a brilliant engine, Verna is decent. We had a 2011 Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi SX(o) which was sold early this year. Apart from slightly low FE (11 in City & 17 on Highways) and soft suspension there weren't much complaints.

Regarding maintainance, I would say the Vento & Verna costs the same to service. Have an Rapid now & the Verna was there before. Average service costs of Verna were 7k-8k. Rapid has been costing 8k/service (15k kms). Hyundai's are not cheap to service, there is also a thread on that.

Spare parts on VW will be more expensive, but other service related parts are decently priced.

If you are not in hurry, wait a bit & check the Facelifted City & Ciaz. New Verna is expected in Mid/Late 2017. New Rapid is also good, you can check it if you need a car now.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:34   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Please suggest!
You already mentioned that you enjoyed driving the Vento more, so if I was in your position, I would go with my heart! In addition, the Vento gives a useful DSG that would be a boon in the city, though reliability of the dry clutch gear box remains a concern.

Hopefully you have read the various reviews on team-bhp for the above cars, including mine.

Some people are saying that it's better to wait for the facelifted models of 2017. While that is a valid point, note that every facelift will make a bigger dent to your wallet. The Verna today already costs a lakh more than what I paid 1.5 years ago. I would expect the new Verna again to be atleast a lakh more than today's model.

Last edited by PearlJam : 2nd December 2016 at 09:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks