Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 17:17   #16
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Thanks for the awesome review!

A couple of clarifications:

1) You mentioned the diesel handles better than the petrol - were both the cars full with 3-4 passengers at the time of testing high speed handling? Or were they both only with the driver as the occupant?

2) Did you get a chance to test the AC performance in depth? Did the climate control on the diesel or the petrol perform differently?
Old 28th April 2011, 17:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Neat! A very well balanced review and car. Any idea what the pricing would be?
Old 28th April 2011, 17:17   #18
BHPian

Great review and kuods to team-bhp and @Zappo . Much superior than all published reviews in magazines and websites I have seen.

Looks to be a smashing car and it's a top notch upgrade of the current Verna. However, even with all the extra gizmos it offers, I don't find it better than Vento and am happy with my recent Shadow Blue TDI purchase. Having said that, I feel this is definitely going to shake the C-segment market.

Last edited by sith_lord : 28th April 2011 at 17:18.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:21   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant review, Zappo! Thanks for sharing. Am rating this thread 5 stars.

I think Hyundai has played it "safe" with this car, much like the i20. Great looks, loaded to the gill with features (and how!!!), many engine options, good ride within the city and a car that's light / easy to drive. The i20 is the segment topper in the premium hatch segment with exactly these attributes. Come to think of it : None of the disadvantages you listed are deal breakers to the "aam junta". They couldn't care less about feel at 140 kph.

However, it's just not my kind of a car. Neither is the i20. I don't suppose either of these will ever make it to my garage.

Question : When will Hyundai finally get its suspension setup right? Within the C Segment, the order in superiority is Linea > Vento > ANHC > Verna. We'll have to wait and see where the new Fiesta fits in. But how difficult is it to build a car that handles well at speed, and delivers a flat ride as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Didn't expect the little fit and finish problem,but these are not big problems.
These are pre-productions. If Hyundai can build the best hatchback for 5 lakh rupees, I can assure you their 9 lakh rupee sedan will have even better fit & finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Any thoughts on how it handles pot holes ?
His review states that ride quality is excellent uptil 120ish kms. Trademark of a soft suspension. Over that, it's unsettled.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2011 at 17:22.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 17:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Awesome- This is one car that will really hsake up teh C segment given Hyundai's brand value and A.S.S. reputation. I just hope Hyundai doesnt get over ambitious with the price.

the 1.4 diesel will be the dark horse in the pack IMHO
Old 28th April 2011, 17:22   #21
BHPian

Thanks Zappo:

Lovely review - surprised at the panel gap you highlighted.

Having read the review and owning an outgoing Verna I get a feeling that this ANHV is Old Verna ++. That is, what was good - torquey-ness and good city behaviour remains good and what was weak, mainly high speed stability and handling, remains weak. Add to that well liked styling (though not to my taste) and oodles of features and you have a VFM car. I had more expectations from the AT besides just adding a tiptronic.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 17:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

I cannot get over that front. I simply don't like it. And I was surprised to read that those are 16inch wheels. They look smaller to me. 6 airbags in top model is great (at what premium though?) to have option. Other things I would like to (theoretically) add to my City - rear view camera and folding ORVMs.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a well packaged car, loaded to the gills with features. Looks like the suspension, like many suspected, would need a mod before all those 120-odd horses can be unleashed. Now to brace for the pricing - looking at the engine option, there seems to be a Verna for everyone too!

But wonder why the 6 speed AT was not brought in here - cost factors at play?

Last edited by ph03n!x : 28th April 2011 at 17:42.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

A brilliantly penned down avant garde review zappo!

Rating this a very well deserved 5 stars, brilliant photography too!

This car is to be viewed as a no nonsense hassle free optimised all rounder C plus entry luxury sedan. Wide range of options for every pocket with enormous equipment list, this car should be a smash hit for Hyundai. Only if the dynamics could have been tightened a wee bit more.....
Old 28th April 2011, 17:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Zappo. The car seems to be a nicely put package. The car looks great except for the Darth Vader face.

It looks as if the power windows switches are not illuminated? They should do something about that silver insert in the steering wheel. It has tendency to lose that silver colour and start turning black with time. The long term performance report of the EPS unit in this car is something I am looking forward to hear about.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:39   #26
BHPian

Excellent review. As expected, the turbo-lag and uninspiring dynamics have been successfully retained by Hyundai! Why cannot hyundai just poach some engineers from Ford or Fiat? Looks like Vento or New Fiesta are my only choices now.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:39   #27
BHPian

Great review Zeppo. The car design exterior and interior looks very balanced and well packed. Why can't hyundai makes suspension right for the power it delivers. I drove my friend's first generation 1.5 diesel verna, the pickup was excellent but once I cross 120, I was feeling unsecure. What is the use of then 120 bhp and 6 speed gear box if the car is not able to handle it.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 28th April 2011 at 17:41.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. If you all find it useful then it makes all the efforts worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
But no back-lit switches on passenger door? And rear doors with no pockets?

Hey one thing, did the steering rattle?
Nope to both the questions above.

No, the steering did not rattle at all. What was that related too? Why of all things should a new car's steering rattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Excellent Review Zappo. Enjoyed reading it. Any thoughts on how it handles pot holes ? (Refering to GC related aspects of the car) . Appreciate your thoughts on the same.
Thanks Motoringlover.
At regular speeds of upto 80 kmph I do not think you will realize much about the potholes unless of course you land into a crater! That soft sprung suspension has its advantages after all...

About the GC I never grounded the bottom ever. Of course I was not trying to do so explicitly either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul View Post
Thanks for the awesome review!

A couple of clarifications:

1) You mentioned the diesel handles better than the petrol - were both the cars full with 3-4 passengers at the time of testing high speed handling? Or were they both only with the driver as the occupant?

2) Did you get a chance to test the AC performance in depth? Did the climate control on the diesel or the petrol perform differently?
1) Both the diesel and petrol were carrying two people in it (including the driver) and their luggage in the boot (not much) all the time.

2) I did and it is mentioned in the review. About the difference in performance I do not recall having noticed anything as such between the ACC of the two cars. They are equally good or bad (depending on your perspective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Neat! A very well balanced review and car. Any idea what the pricing would be?
To begin with Hyundai has not yet revealed the prices. However I expect the pricing to start at around 7 lakh for the base variant (1.4l Petrol) and go all the way up to 10.5l for the top variant. I do not think the pricing will vary by a very big margin from these (give and take a 10-20k here or there). If they get too ambitious this car may struggle to fully meet up to match its potentials. I do not think they will relish pricing it at the Chevy Cruz territory. There main target is the City, Vento market and thats where this car should also be positioned, if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This car is to be viewed as a no nonsense hassle free optimised all rounder C plus entry luxury sedan.
Bravo. You hit that on the nail. My personal opinion is almost on the same line. This is one car that does many a things very well without being superlative in any one area. This is a car that will check the maximum number of checkboxes in the list for most people. The Hyundai A.S.S. with the correct pricing should do the rest of the tricks to ensure that it catches people's imagination. In fact I won't be surprised if it captures the top bracket in its category.

Last edited by v12 : 30th April 2011 at 21:01. Reason: word corrected.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 17:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safety features, Engine, Performance and Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
only the 1.6 comes with VGT, and not the 1.4 diesel
Is this correct? The 1.4 CRDi in the i20 produces the same BHP / Torque values listed here, and is a VGT unit...
ph03n!x is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 18:01   #30
BHPian

Excellent review Rating 5 stars! How is the feedback from the steering on the highways?

Most Viewed