Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 11:33   #1096
BHPian

Understand from the dealer that the Verna now has 35000 bookings! They have just completed March deliveries. Anyone who booked after Jun15 will have a waiting period of 5 months plus. They are still non committal on my delivery and are saying Aug, though original date was Jul.

My 9 year old accent has in the meantime started giving trouble for the first time in it's life time. Add to that, I had my first poor experience ever with Hyundai's service, badly done, problems not rectified.
Old 17th July 2011, 20:52   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
The SR said its the ABS functioning, I doubt if ABS kicks in every time you brake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi Sachin. ABS is not like the turbo. It is available all time in fact its a type of break. Only difference is one must press fully unlike pumping in regular breaks.
ABS though is available all the time irrespective of speeds, it will activate only under hard braking ! So generally ABS is known to activate above 80 kmph, but I have experienced ABS kicking in at even 20-30 kmph when I had to brake hard at those speeds. Its even more evident now a days since my tyres are worn out and ABS kicks in many a times more than it used to be.

Also ABS equipped brake will not mean that the brakes will lack bite, if ABS kicks in, its very much evident from the pedal and the driver will feel the pedal jerking or giving some kind of strange sound [like opening a door which has rusted hinges like those scary movies].

If the braking is a well anticipated one [like approaching a signal with red light which is visible from a good distance] and smooth with a good stopping distance, there is no chance that ABS will kick in, if you are braking even from a 100 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator View Post
Understand from the dealer that the Verna now has 35000 bookings! They have just completed March deliveries. Anyone who booked after Jun15 will have a waiting period of 5 months plus.
I guess Hyundai Verna will show a 4K+ sales figures for at least next 7 months! This is FAB ! And Ford missed a super cool opportunity.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th July 2011 at 21:06.
Old 17th July 2011, 21:17   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Went for a TD yesterday. I felt the brakes lack a bit of bite. The SR said its the ABS functioning, I doubt if ABS kicks in every time you brake. The cabin is nice and feels roomy,except for the fact that it is all beige. And there is no other interior colour option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
ABS though is available all the time irrespective of speeds, it will activate only under hard braking ! So generally ABS is known to activate above 80 kmph, but I have experienced ABS kicking in at even 20-30 kmph when I had to brake hard at those speeds. Its even more evident now a days since my tyres are worn out and ABS kicks in many a times more than it used to be.

Also ABS equipped brake will not mean that the brakes will lack bite, if ABS kicks in, its very much evident from the pedal and the driver will feel the pedal jerking or giving some kind of strange sound [like opening a door which has rusted hinges like those scary movies].
Am no expert.

The idea of ABS is to prevent the tyres from skidding. So, though the mechanism may keep sensing what is happening, it would only really activate when the system detects skidding (beyond a pre-configured amount?). So, it can get activated at low speeds or at high, to prevent skidding.

ABS may also increase braking distance, however it should keep the car more in control. If the car is not straight and one brakes, the chances of it going into a spin or skidding and turning beyond control are pretty high. ABS reduces these changes significantly by controlling skidding.

For example, one is going at a highish speed and there is an obstruction that comes on the road (pothole, buffalo, moron) one may want to brake hard and swerve on the side. At such a time a car without ABS is a lot more likely to skid and loose control as compared an ABS equipped one.

In normal everyday driving, it should have little role to play.

@Mods: The above seemed partially OT, but thought it better to reply here, given that it was about safety and people may not care to search the forum for all this info. An attempt towards safer driving
Old 18th July 2011, 07:59   #1099
BHPian

What poitive said was actually a mix of ABS and TCS. ABS basically prevents the tyres from locking up in case of hard (emergency) braking, irrespective of the speed. If the car were to swerve off the road, traction control system (TCS) detects any difference in available traction between the tyres and prevents further 'skidding'. ABS, I doubt, would increase the braking distance significantly. These rumors run almost parallel to other myths such as the front disk brakes in a motorcycle being dangerous and airbags being lifetakers rather than lifesavers.
Old 18th July 2011, 08:38   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
If the car were to swerve off the road, traction control system (TCS) detects any difference in available traction between the tyres and prevents further 'skidding'.
This is taken care by ESP, TCS only keeps excessive wheelspin in check.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:42   #1101
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Just want to demonstrate power of the 6th cog driven at 80 KMPH @ 1500 RPM on the highway.

Since my daily city runs are in and around the Bangalore CBD, the mileage I would expected for my daily runs is around 13km/liter. My past experience with my other cars are, Accent CRDi 12.5 kms/liter and i20 CRDi was 13 kms/liter for my daily CBD runs.

Last morning I had to drive to Ramee Guestline Resort at Attibele, past Electronic City. Since I was going to go on the 9km flyover and onward on a 6 lane road, I decided to check the impact on the mileage driving at 80 KMS @ 1500 RPM on the 6th gear.

Picture 1 shows the mileage reading as I get on to the Electronic City Flyover, past Silk Board Junction and the mileage reading shows 12.5 kms/liter and ODO shows 1915 kms
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img2011071700056.jpg

Picture 2 shows the mileage reading at 13.4 kms/liter and ODO shows 1935 kms on my reaching the Resort. Hence the 20 kms drive largely in the 6th gear has improved the mileage
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img2011071700057.jpg

Picture 3 shows on my return as I get down from the flyover. The mileage reading shows 14.2 kms/liter and ODO shows 1954 kms on the clock
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img2011071700059.jpg

This is a crude way of demonstration because there are many variables like what percentage was this 40 KMS journey compared to the mileage completed to achieve the 12.5 KMS/liter in the first place. I had done 150 + KMS when the ODO was 1915 kms with a mileage of 12.5 KMS/Liter

Anyways hope this demonstration was good enough in its crudest form!

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 11:05   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Congrats, do post pics, initial experience and
include as many pics as you can, also include the waiting time as requested by AutoIndian, and actual cost on road.
Thanks @ghpk and @AutoIndian. I booked my car on 20th May and was promised delivery 1st week of June. From then on it was a matter of putting continues and relentless pressure on the dealership and the company . They originally told me the delivery happening by end of July. But last Thursday the Car finally arrived.
Right now enjoying the aroma of a new car till it last . I will post the details of my experience in a separate ownership thread. Here are some pics taken from my cell Phone of Purple beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-170720111806.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-170720111807.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-170720111808.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-170720111809.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-170720111810.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-180720111820.jpg  

Old 18th July 2011, 13:37   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Thanks @ghpk and @AutoIndian. I booked my car on 20th May and was promised delivery 1st week of June. Right now enjoying the aroma of a new car till it last . I will post the details of my experience in a separate ownership thread. Here are some pics taken from my cell Phone of Purple beauty.
Thanks shenoytech for sharing the pics of your car & congratulations once again. Purple is my favorite colour. One friendly advice though, hope you don't mind. Give a good wash to the car & take some high quality pics (if possible on a DLSR), then see how gorgeous your beauty looks. Please do start your separate ownership thread asap & share the link over here.

Enjoy the aroma of your new car till then.
Old 18th July 2011, 13:48   #1104
Senior - BHPian

"For example, one is going at a highish speed and there is an obstruction that comes on the road (pothole, buffalo, moron) one may want to brake hard and swerve on the side. At such a time a car without ABS is a lot more likely to skid and loose control as compared an ABS equipped one."

Feels strange to be reading this, this is exactly what happened on the fateful 24th to me. I met with a bad car crash. There was a piece of tyre on the road, we swerved to avoid it but our ABS enabled car totally lost control and was all over the highway at 120+ KMPH. It spun, turned turtle before landing on its right. Escaped with contusions but my friends were badly hurt.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:14   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

Thanks shenoytech for sharing the pics of your car & congratulations once again. Purple is my favorite colour. One friendly advice though, hope you don't mind. Give a good wash to the car & take some high quality pics (if possible on a DLSR), then see how gorgeous your beauty looks. Please do start your separate ownership thread asap & share the link over here.

Enjoy the aroma of your new car till then.
I agree with the wash, I wanted to mentioned in my earlier post, the pics where taken after a brief travel in rain. I will post some good pics in my ownership thread.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:05   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
"For example, one is going at a highish speed and there is an obstruction that comes on the road (pothole, buffalo, moron) one may want to brake hard and swerve on the side. At such a time a car without ABS is a lot more likely to skid and loose control as compared an ABS equipped one."

Feels strange to be reading this, this is exactly what happened on the fateful 24th to me. I met with a bad car crash. There was a piece of tyre on the road, we swerved to avoid it but our ABS enabled car totally lost control and was all over the highway at 120+ KMPH. It spun, turned turtle before landing on its right. Escaped with contusions but my friends were badly hurt.
Sad to hear about the incident mate. Hope you and your friends recover soon and fully.

ABS, EBD etc. would be amongst many factors which would affect a car remaining controlled. It is an important issue and sharing the incident may help others being safe. May be a good idea to move this discussion to another Safety/ABS related thread (or probably start a new one with your friends' incident), as a detailed discussion on this may be a bit OT here, even though it does relate to the car's features. If you do, please share the link.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:19   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Thanks @ghpk and @AutoIndian. I booked my car on 20th May and was promised delivery 1st week of June. From then on it was a matter of putting continues and relentless pressure on the dealership and the company . They originally told me the delivery happening by end of July. But last Thursday the Car finally arrived.
Right now enjoying the aroma of a new car till it last . I will post the details of my experience in a separate ownership thread. Here are some pics taken from my cell Phone of Purple beauty.
Just an hour ago I saw a purle colour Verna on the road and boy, it looks amazing. Th new Verna looks great in white and purple.

Congrats on your new car.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:06   #1108
BHPian

Folks, the long wait (about 2 months) is over and I am a proud owner of the fluidic, in purple avatar. Just loved the power, had my wife chasing me back home on a swift but the verna is a brute
Here enjoy some pics for now, i shall post more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_4642.jpgp_2_1.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_4647_3_1.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_4651.jpgp_4_1.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_4654.jpgp_5_1.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_4657.jpgp_6_1.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_4671.jpgp_7_1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 18th July 2011, 19:13   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
Folks, the long wait (about 2 months) is over and I am a proud owner of the fluidic, in purple avatar. Just loved the power, had my wife chasing me back home on a swift but the verna is a brute
Here enjoy some pics for now, i shall post more later.
Congratulations to you too dionysus. So two purple Vernas in quick succession here on TBHP, goes to show that Hyundai has not just managed the masses to flock to the new Verna, but us "TBHPians" as well. Please do share with us your initial impressions of your car.

Enjoy your new ride & do share with us lot of pics when you start your ownership thread.
Old 18th July 2011, 19:57   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The 6th gear in the transmission enabling the car to cruise at 100kmph with the rpm needle hovering around the 2K mark is the greatest USP of this car. I seriously doubt if any other car in this segment has the 6th cog. On long highway drives the Fluidic would definitely be on diet. I wonder what FE it would give if you drive @ 1500 RPM, 6th gear, 80-85 kmph. KPS please share with us the FE figures, I am very eager to know these.
I did a kerala - blore run last weekend and the mileage was 20.3kmpl. I did not attempt driving for economy and drove the way I usually would. Top speed touched was 150kmph for maybe a minute. Average speed was 120kmph.

While the suspension was nothing to write home about, it doesn't deserve the harsh comments we dish out often. I think its a just balance between city comfort and highway stability.

The only gripes I have are:

I've scraped the bottom thrice on speed humps that my lancer (which is notorious for low GC) clears easily;

The headlights are woefully inadequate. I installed Nightbreakers, but they aren't a fraction of their phenomenal claims.

The foglamps are a joke as well. They aren't bright enough (27W) to be fogs and not focused high enough to be driving lamps. But they do cover the void between the car and the spot from where the low beam starts. I guess H27 HIDs on these would be a good option. I will trial the beam and then decide..

Apart from that, I have no complaints whatsoever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks