Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 11:50   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Great review.WOW! Look at those body lines! What a beauty. This is turning out to be a Honda city and Polo killer.

Quote:
Plastic panel looks cheap:
I think the plastic quality looks similar to the Polo but not as good as Honda plastic quality.

Zappo How is the interior plastic quality ? Does the car feel solid and well put together?
Old 29th April 2011, 11:57   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Wow Zappo, Amazing review. Rating this thread a well deserved 5 *****.
Puts Me in such a big dilemma. Guess will have to start a separate thread for it though.

11 Months old SX4. Average drive 40 kms. per day.
Surely was awaiting the launch of this car.

I love the existing Car, however the Niggles/Rattles and the Fuel Efficiency make me think twice for a moment.

Will the depreciation be a bigger cost if I was to change now or will the saving of buying a diesel sedan (i.e. if the drive continues for the same distance daily) be a better option.

Ahhh, While I love the choices at hand, however it makes Me go back to what took Me a while to take...Decision on what is the Best
Could not agree more to it as I am almost in your shoes. Mine is 1.4 years and the biggest issue is FE. I was getting between 9.5-10 in city with AC. Somewhere I read in this thread that spark plug gaps may increase the FE and in the process, MASS has jeopardised the FE to close to 8 - Pathetic. I do not have much rattling though. Do you feel on the basis of FE only (over other positive stuffs, e.g. the GC, rear seat comfort, abundant space etc) would it be a good idea to trade it for Verna RB ? I am actually in dilemma.
DigitalDragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 12:29   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
Abhi, it's hard to come to any sort of conclusion without the pricing info. Verna is feature-rich but the question is what price they are gonna extract. If we use the current Verna as benchmark, it doesn't look good at all, top end diesel AT should be close to, if not more than, 10L ex showroom. Further, barring the stop/start button, side air bags and folding side view mirrors, one can easily upgrade the feature list Vento or ANHC post-delivery - so all these extra features isn't quite a big deal for me. Actually, given the exorbitant road taxation we enjoy here in Karnataka, it may be wise to go for after-market solutions rather than pay that 20% extra on the features.
Very true. I think Hyundai should offer the Diesel AT in base and SX variants as well to keep the price under 10L. Otherwise, they loose potential customers like me as I don't care about 6 airbags, Leather, start button, reverse cametra etc if I can save 1 L for unwanted features.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:32   #109
BHPian

Very nice review Zappo. This is one car many of us are waiting for. I think Hyundai has a clear winner on its hands. Only they need to price it correctly.. but then I20 though being a bit overpriced still sells in huge numbers.

In the comparo you have mentioned that Linea's engines are underpowered. I don't think this applies for T-Jet
Rear leg space in my opinion too will be OK compared to the Verna. The seats on Linea seem to be more comfortable.

The worst hit of the lot is going to be the Linea in my opinion and I see the numbers dropping further unless they upgrade the diesel engine which might still bring in a few customers.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sith_lord
Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review
Abhi, it's hard to come to any sort of conclusion without the pricing info. Verna is feature-rich but the question is what price they are gonna extract. If we use the current Verna as benchmark, it doesn't look good at all, top end diesel AT should be close to, if not more than, 10L ex showroom. Further, barring the stop/start button, side air bags and folding side view mirrors, one can easily upgrade the feature list Vento or ANHC post-delivery - so all these extra features isn't quite a big deal for me. Actually, given the exorbitant road taxation we enjoy here in Karnataka, it may be wise to go for after-market solutions rather than pay that 20% extra on the features.
I want to assume that this is priced on par with ANHC and Vento.
BTW, is 'Verna Deform' auto ex-showroom price is 10L? Its shocking for such a poor design.

Quote:
Captain Slow
Re: Hyundai Verna : Test Drive & Review
Plastic panel looks cheap:
I think the plastic quality looks similar to the Polo but not as good as Honda plastic quality.
Honda clearly has inferior plastic quality than the Vento (which is same as POLO). Coincidently, I think that Jazz plastic quality is comparable to Vento. ANHC is definitely poorer (love those washing machine air cons knobs-right)
Old 29th April 2011, 12:44   #111
BHPian

Nice review. I am looking for a C segment sedan and my current favourite is the Vento - Diesel. I was eagerly waiting for the new verna / fiesta launches, this review answers most of my questions regarding verna.

Though the sedan looks good and loaded with gizmos, some how it doesn't enthuse me and currently placed the same below vento and Linea in the order of preference. However my gut feel is that this car is going to be a success story for Hyundai like the i20.

I am sure Hyundai will price it sensibly and the no. of variants with the features available and the good dealer network of HML will make this car a hit.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:59   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu View Post
Super review. One qn: I see the Hyundai Fluidic ads on the tele. Is the Fluidic same as the car reviewed in this thread?
Yes, The "Fluidic" they mention in ads relates to the new Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Great review.WOW! Look at those body lines! What a beauty. This is turning out to be a Honda city and Polo killer.

Zappo How is the interior plastic quality ? Does the car feel solid and well put together?
I guess by Polo you meant the sedan version, Vento?

Thanx Zappo for a good review - I would have loved to see some more pics of interiors.

The soft suspension is a bad thing again though it suffices 80% of the requirements and people. But I love to throw the cars around corners and brings me a smile when I see the car sticking on to the sharp curves.

I would request Hyundai to give us "enthusiasts" a 1.6D "S" version. So here they can tweak the suspension and get a racers car and put a bit more premium for the stiffer shocks and not be bothered about the family people who will buy the normal version for comfort.

PS :: Just want to check whether the current Verna has any bolt on suspension kit or so to reduce the body roll and improve handling ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th April 2011 at 13:01.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:03   #113
BHPian

Owning the previous generation Verna (1.5D), following are the pros and cons of the ANHV that stands out to me-

Pros-
1) Better engine - 1.6 D with increased Torque (260nm) compared to 240nm.
2) Addition of another gear, 6 as compared to 5 in the older version. This has lead to higher FE figures (claimed).
3) Longer wheelbase, should keep the car more planted
4) Better shoes ala 16inch alloys and 15inch stocks as compared to 14inch alloys in the older version
5)Fresh design and a host of gizmos a few of them segment first
6)Reduced hump providing more space for the passenger in the rear middle seat.
7) Arm rest with sufficient storage capacity
8) Cooled glove box
9) Reverse parking camera and guidelines on the Rear View mirror
10)Airbags which was missing in the Older generation Verna. (Surprisingly it was not offered as a add on as well).

Cons-
1) Hyundai is not able to improve on the cornering ability of the car at high speed. (Must confess from experience that it does not inspire you to take the curves at speeds in excess of 120kmph).
2) As seen from the review, the AC is not as good as the old version, which is quite surprising as the old version has a chiller in place. Perhaps due to sharing of the Aircon unit with the I20?
3) Changing of the Bottle holder design in the door panel as compared to the older version. The older one can easily hold 1-2 ltr bottles.
4) Didnt see the coat hanger in the headrest of the front passenger seat.
5) Dont know if its a con, but however will still mention that the Tweaters in the front door panel are missing.(Perhaps it has been moved elsewhere)
6) The rear windows open to the full in the older version. Cant figure out what was the thought process behind restricting it to 3/4 in the ANHV.
7)Non Back lit rear window switches.
8)Stock headlights still not upto the mark. Which was one of my grouses against the older version.

But all in all a definite improvement over the previous generation Verna. Eagerly looking forward to TD it.

Last edited by VarunM : 29th April 2011 at 13:16.
VarunM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 13:16   #114
BHPian

Thanks Zappo for THE BEST review of the good looking new Verna.

It's a typical Hyundai product, with all bells and whistles, but with average handling. We can say it is New Verna = i20 sedan and I think it will sell in good numbers. I am also of opinion that sedan market is increasing day by day due to Indian economy and huge pay scales in metros. I won't be surprised if all the top contenders keep on selling more than 3K per months, i.e. Hyundai, Maruti, VW, Ford, Hyundai.

Zappo/Mods - Will you guys be testing the 1.4L Petrol engine as well? I am more interested in that due to tight budget.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:47   #115
BHPian

Thanks for the good review Zappo. As a person looking forward for this car, how do you rate the back seat height with respect to VW Vento? Is the seat placed a few inches down than the front seat like Vento? I will have my mother accompanying me in some of my long trips, hence the question. Also does the rear seat have a split option to fold down?
I am also too sad with the 4 speed auto box. I was looking forward for a 5 speed auto.
Did you drive the auto box as well? How was the NVH on the auto box at high speeds? Curious to know the ratios' for the auto box
Old 29th April 2011, 14:00   #116
BHPian

I have been waiting for this review for a while. Thanks Zappo for the detailed review and I am impressed with this new Verna. I liked the side view and its got a unique look in its segment.

Price will be the key factor, but I am sure the volumes will be high and another sure winner in the hands of Hyundai.

Personally, I dont like the chrome style faux wood inside. I am little disappointed about the rear seating space. There could have been more room, but really cannot comment unless I experience it. Even with Vento, its not comfortable for the 5th person.

PS : Rated 5 *.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:15   #117
BHPian

Zappo, excellent review! Voted 5*. The review couldnt have come at a better time.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:43   #118
BHPian

Long awaiting Review is out finally. ***Excellant Review Zappo***.

I have booked the new one a month back and today the Sales Rep called me and showed the official data sheet and asked me for the Color and the model.

Just waited for the review to be posted in our portal.. Gone thru it many times almost spent 2 hours looking at the pictures and read the review twice.. thrice... and then went ahead and confirmed the specs to the dealer just now...

I had choosen SX-O Diesel 1.6 MT and color is BLACK....

Regards
Naren_kk
Old 29th April 2011, 14:46   #119
BHPian

Just now logged in and wow what I saw on the home page- Zappo - Thank you so much for posting it - much awaited - long awaited report. I have not read it yet as I am pretty sure its going to be better than any review on any other forum or media. Thanks in advance- Team of TBHP.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:50   #120
BHPian

A car that doesn't ride well, and simply does not steer well.
It can have all the goodies but whats the point?
Not sure how everyone is so excited about this launch.

I would rather drive my old zen without PS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks