Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 19:57   #46
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
The seating position, the seat height or the rear leg space may not necessarily be a deal breaker for all. I suggest you check it on your own. I think with an average person in the front seat (say 5'10") and the rear seat also holding a person of almost the same height the leg space may not always be a problem. If you look at the pic closely, the front seat has been pushed back to the extreme to check how much space it leaves for the back row. That kind of a setting for the front row may not happen in 9 out of 10 cases, IMO.
Zappo, thanks for the quick reply. I agree that front seat is pushed all the way back. I'll check it out on my own. Last week, I sat in Manza and Linea in quick succession. While Manza is no comparison to any other car in this segment in space (leg - knee and foot room), Linea is just acceptable to me even though it’s not great.

In comparison, do you think new Verna's rear leg room is similar to Linea? If a 5.10" person is driving the car can I (5.9" tall) stretch my legs (rather feet) under the front seat?
Old 28th April 2011, 20:09   #47
BHPian

Excellent review, Zappo. The rectangular noozles pinpointed by you in your review is a testimony of your attention to details.
I also agree with you with the conclusion that this car does many things well, but doesn't excel in any single area.
The lack of under thigh support for the rear seats and the not so effective A/C surprise and disappoint me. A modern car , that too targeting the C plus segment ought to have these basics in place.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:11   #48
BHPian

Great review Zappo, and it was a quick one too !!!. The rear of the car looks great, the front looks typically "korean" .
Old 28th April 2011, 20:13   #49
BHPian

A very good review and I was eagerly waiting for it. Though the most of points have been covered I personally feel that the smaller bits have not been covered like in earlier reviews of cars such as Manza, Vento etc.
Can the tyre sized on the top end be upgraded to 205/60/R16 to improve ride quality and ground clearence.
Further how was the air conditioner effeciency and effectiveness. We have faced serious issues with the cooling effeciency and accuracy of the i20 acc. So please clarify.
Thanks for a detailed test drive report and review.

Last edited by patil : 28th April 2011 at 20:14.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Zappo! This may sound stupid. But still curious to know how does it compare with the i10 wrt handling and dynamics? Does it atleast sport a little of the handling and high speed dynamics that is unique to the segment it belongs to, if not the best.

Can some one upgrading from the i10 look forward to something better in terms of ride and handling? And will it make a logical and sensible upgrade?

And how is the OEM tire quality? Did you find it adequate for the highway drive?

Edit: Could you please comment on the most worrying factor, The GC. Is it as tall as the SX4 to get thru' most of the Indian speed breakers without scraping the underbelly?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 28th April 2011 at 20:48.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:21   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
I personally feel that the smaller bits have not been covered like in earlier reviews of cars such as Manza, Vento etc.
Please clarify on what exactly you found missing. I will see if I can fill that bit in.

Quote:
Can the tyre sized on the top end be upgraded to 205/60/R16 to improve ride quality and ground clearence.
You really expect that bit on upsizing to be included in an official new car Test Drive Review?

Quote:
Further how was the air conditioner effeciency and effectiveness. We have faced serious issues with the cooling effeciency and accuracy of the i20 acc.
ACC is good but may not prove extraordinarily chilling in the scorching summer heats of many parts in India. The ACC bit is covered inside the review. Please read.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 20:22   #52
BHPian

Is the new Verna & Hyundai 'Fluidic' the same?

I think it is going to be launched with a new moniker, or is it really a codename.

TOI Delhi AD

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-hyundai.jpg

Excellent review. It left me wanting the 1.4 petrol, with all round discs.

Last edited by JustCause : 28th April 2011 at 20:31.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 20:24   #53
BHPian

Hey excellent review Zappo! Awesome pics too! The steering wheel and the speedometer console look similar to the i20 with few changes. Hyundai should not have discontinued the current Verna. Instead they should have phased out the Accent and replaced it with the old Verna. Anyways, thanks for the review!
Old 28th April 2011, 20:31   #54
BHPian

Re: Interiors and Features

Thank you Zappo for a well detailed review coupled with quality pictures! Rated 5 stars for your welldeserved effort

I am planning for 1.6 Diesel, however there are few questions which makes me think:

1. I am an occasional highway traveller averaging ~ 12,000 kms per year. I currently use a Swift Petrol and find it quite stable till 140-145 kmph with 165*80*14 tires. How much of a deal breaker would you think the boat behaviour to me, if I am getting a 1.6 Diesel?

2. How bad do you think under thigh support if it is going to be a 6-8 hours drive. do you think it would prompt the rear seat passengers to stop every hour and strech the legs?

3. Would the new Fiesta make more sense which has better driving dynamics (I may be wrong- assumption purely based on existing Fiesta) than the Verna Diesel which seems to have class topping torque and power, but nervous handling above 130kmph. Being a layman, those extra Bhps may not make sense to me, if the car is not so friendly at higher speeds.

Though not surprised, your feedback about the soft suspension set up has put me in a dilemma

Thanks in advance

VJ

Last edited by manson : 28th April 2011 at 22:00. Reason: Kindly avoid quoting fairly large posts when not required.
Old 28th April 2011, 20:34   #55
BHPian

The car is a scorcher in looks!

Better looking definitely than the City and the diesel looks like it will give quite a run to the City, Vento and SX4.

At 1.6 the diesel packs quite a punch in specs.

Liked the interiors and the fact they going back to 4 disc brakes and the works including a smart key and engine start+stop.

The suspension is known to have erratc behaviour at higher speeds, and the ABS + EBD setup are a welcome option.

Very thorough, detailed and inspiring review there, two thumbs up!!
Old 28th April 2011, 20:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

At last we get the much awaited TBHP Test Drive & Review. Haven't waited for anything such long in my entire life, but it was worth the wait. I knew from start that this car would be the Jack of all trades & it has turned out to be so. I have some very basic queries for which I couldn't find the answer in the four pages that this thread has already ran into. Would appreciate if someone could answer these:
Does the car have rear AC vents?
How big is the centre hump covering transmission tunnel (would appreciate a photo of it if possible)
How much is the ground clearance (in mm)?
Could you drive the car at night? Are the stock headlamps (along with fog lamps) sufficient enough to illuminate the road optimally?
Can you share the pics of dash at night?
Was the spare wheel an alloy in the top end or was it steel rim?
Does the car have two reversing lamps of just a single one?
Does the foot well have a dead pedal?
Is there a 12V charging socket at the rear?
Do the rear window glasses roll down completely or just 3/4 as like other C segment sedans?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 28th April 2011 at 20:49. Reason: Added few more questions
Old 28th April 2011, 20:43   #57
Team-BHP Support

Excellent report Zappo. The all new verna does look good, though in the unique purple shade it aint that alluring. The equipment level is quite mouth watering too.

The major gripe i have with Hyundai vehicles though holds good, the soft suspension! I really dont understand why they cant stiffen it for high speeds. India has moved on from slow highways, why is Hyundai so hung up?

Another worry is the complex ECU controlled this and that, hope they hold well in the long term. Or expect nice fat bills, knowing Hyundai!
Old 28th April 2011, 20:57   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I just cannot digest the close resemblance the front bears to the i10!
Even I was also thinking on the same lines! The grill bearing the H logo appears to be same like that of the i10! I hate only that, but love the looks of the entire car. Its just brilliant!! I don't know why most of the diesels available here has turbo lag.., its pretty frustrating while driving in the city. But the overall package looks promising and I guess Hyundai has a winner here.

btw, excellent review Zappo!
vaibzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 20:59   #59
BHPian

Great Review Zappo, it was much awaited! If you did any 0-100 timings, please let us know especially for the 1.6 L diesel. Thanks!
Old 28th April 2011, 21:27   #60
BHPian

@zappo: Very nice review, a scoop even. Have few questions: the car has 'wafty, floaty' feel above 140 kph on the E'Way, how about at around 100-120, is it a cause for concern or is it ok, and compared to which car? There being only one expressway and excepting only a few roads (like those in Rajasthan or a few golden qudrilateral stretches), the operating band won't much exceed ~120 for any regular driving, manoeuvring much less. How does the car feel turning etc, tyres, grip, sudden lane change at 90-100, turns at 60/80? Could you test the car in the ghats anywhere?

Most Viewed