Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 10:39   #2101
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Hey fellow BHPians,

I'm in love with the stock steel alloys the new verna wears. I wish to put them on my Ecosport. The details are 195/65/R15 MRF.

Share if its possible to do same.

Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Does anyone know what is the purpose of the below?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TTC-Front-...#ht_4099wt_952

Attachment 1200869
These are Spring Buffer / Dough nuts, can be used in different ways. If installed in the lower half of the spring reduces the sudden thug on potholes at high speeds and when used in the upper half of the spring reduces the body shake.

But, in both cases the life of the stock springs can reduce up to 10-15% as there is more compression stress on rest of the part of the spring.

Last edited by the13thtee : 9th April 2014 at 10:58.
the13thtee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 15:33   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post

Hey fellow BHPians,

I'm in love with the stock steel alloys the new verna wears. I wish to put them on my Ecosport. The details are 195/65/R15 MRF.

Share if its possible to do same.

Cheers !
Hey the13thtee, I am no expert but I can probably answer your queries or atleast take a stab at them:

1. To the best of my knowledge, Hyundai's wheel PCD's (space between lug nuts of the wheel) are 100. Ford cars probably have 98 PCD, not sure on this. So basically, it will not fit.

As well, 195/65/R16 is the Tire size and not the Alloy wheel size. Alloy wheels have a measurement such as 6.5Jx16 ET38 or something.

2. The Spring Buffer / Dough nuts are usually used to reduce the play of the coild springs to a small extent, which eventually leads to less bottoming out of the car when fully loaded. In other words, it basically ensures that cars like Verna and Civic, which have a bit of a softer suspension do not scrape their underbody so often and don't sway up & down a lot at high speeds.

- Pesonally, I would suggest you to look for similar alloys in the after market agencies and surely you will find a similar or probably a better looking set.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 9th April 2014 at 15:34.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 15:38   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Pesonally, I would suggest you to look for similar alloys in the after market agencies and surely you will find a similar or probably a better looking set.
Thanks mate, that was quite a help.
Old 10th April 2014, 00:44   #2104
BHPian

Did the same test again. The only difference is ACC set to 20*c. FYI ambieint temp. was 29*c & the average speed came to 44km/hr. Posting some photographs taken after completion of the test.
The MID FE came down to 27 km/pl from 34.20 kmpl ( earlier test result) . To give a rough idea, AC brought the FE down by a whopping 22%
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_20140409_082314983.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_20140409_082339415.jpg  

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 10th April 2014 at 00:51. Reason: addition
Old 11th April 2014, 00:21   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I.guess I an going to have to spend some time too. Can you pls share the tsb details(number, release date etc?), would be very helpful.
I am moving my response to the main Verna thread as it is relevant to all.

I have consolidated all the information I found in this forum about TSBs related to Verna suspension.

Rear Suspension:
TSB is 13-51-101-RBi, dated 7-Jan-2013. Effective date 4-Jan-2013, Effective VIN is 105825.
New rear spring part number is 55330-1V150.

Amyth's image below has the pictures of the replacement springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyth Prabhakar View Post
The new set of springs
Attachment 1223365

Mani's post below has the picture of the TSB issued for Rear Suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
I decided to ask the workshop guy there if Hyundai has issued any TSB for suspension issues in Hyundai Verna Fluidic and he flatly said no on my face. Asking about the manager and he was not in office that day.
I decided to have a look around as I remember from my past visits that they usually have TSB's on their notice board on the workshop floor.
And luckily I found this. Image attached.
Questioning them again and he was clueless.
Will be going to my regular service center this Saturday and asking them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...428_172425.jpg

Front Suspension:
New front spring part number is 54630-1V251. I could not recall the TSB number for the front suspension. But the below post from KPS talks about it. He might be able to provide the TSB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Just an update.
My June'11 car has now done 18K kms. The front coil springs have been replaced under warranty. The front is a stiffer and improves road handling big time. All the road humps do not scrape the bottom now.
Overall great improvement
Cheers
KPS
The below post from me has the picture of front spring's part number. It also has reference to another TSB issued for more suspension parts (front and rear). TSB number is 13-54-102-RBi, dated Mar-2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...oil-spring.jpg
During this episode, they showed me another TSB issued for more suspension parts (Front, rear coil springs and some other suspension parts which I could not recollect), the TSB number is 13-54-102-RBi, dated Mar-2013. But both the SA and SM insisted that this TSB is not applicable to my car as it was manufactured in Nov-2012. I was not convinced though. I will see the performance of my car and replace the rear springs if required.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 11th April 2014 at 00:40.
Voyager-1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 02:31   #2106
BHPian

Is there anyway to find the part numbers of the Front and Rear springs in the 2014 Verna? I would like to compare the part numbers with the ones they are replacing under warranty (mentioned in my post above).

If they are different, then I would seriously consider replacing my springs under warranty to match the 2014 springs.
Old 11th April 2014, 03:17   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Is there anyway to find the part numbers of the Front and Rear springs in the 2014 Verna? I would like to compare the part numbers with the ones they are replacing under warranty (mentioned in my post above).

If they are different, then I would seriously consider replacing my springs under warranty to match the 2014 springs.
You can visit the service center and ask the SA for a complete part list for the 2014 model as well as your own model and can compare them. If you tell them that you need to order some part, they will give it to you else they might make excuses. Service Centers in Delhi are not at all cooperative regarding TSBs. Anyone had luck here with getting coil springs changed under warranty ?
mani_jeenu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 07:17   #2108
BHPian

If some how replacement of springs are being done free, we can go for that by paying, which is not a costly affair. I have inquired about the cost of new springs. Front one is 1500/- a piece & rear - 700/- a piece. Total comes to 4400/- apprx. Presuming labour charge of 1000/-, we can upgrade by paying 5.5 k. Do not misunderstand me. 5.5 k is some money & any one getting it done free will save it & can spend on some other things.

Has any one driven the Verns 1.4 CRDI model. If yes, please share the experience particularly engine power & refinement, gear shift quality etc. My car may go for 8.5 L. If it goes, I am keeping 1.4 CDRI as an option. I have driven old 5 gear i-20 CRDI once & found the car pulls cleanly till 150 kmph. But turbo lag till 2100 rpm was really bad. Is the setup in Verna the same or has it improved?
Old 11th April 2014, 11:17   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvb View Post
Verna 2014 users, could you confirm if the new version has an upgraded suspension? If so how does it affect the ride and handling?
I have TD'ed the 2014 Verna and the suspension is definitely much better. The wallowy feel is less and the suspension setup is relatively stiffer and the thump on potholes is not as obvious. Highway cornering is relatively better and so is stability at high speeds.
TheBigH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 13:09   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
Effective VIN is 105825.
Thanks this is very helpful, appreciate it. One more questions, Effective VIN means, my car is affected if the last digits of my VIN are lower than 105825?
Old 11th April 2014, 13:47   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Did the same test again. The only difference is ACC set to 20*c. FYI ambieint temp. was 29*c & the average speed came to 44km/hr. Posting some photographs taken after completion of the test.
The MID FE came down to 27 km/pl from 34.20 kmpl ( earlier test result) . To give a rough idea, AC brought the FE down by a whopping 22%
So nice of you to try out various types of driving conditions and assessing the performance of Verna. Thanks for your efforts. Keep posting...
Old 11th April 2014, 20:24   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks this is very helpful, appreciate it. One more questions, Effective VIN means, my car is affected if the last digits of my VIN are lower than 105825?
This is where I spent a lot of time arguing with the Service Manager. He was stating that the cars manufactured AFTER the effective VIN/date were impacted. But when I logically asked him, wouldn't Hyundai have fixed the manufacturing process after that effective VIN/date, he did not have an answer. I finally told him that in the absence of a range of VIN/date in the TSB, there is only one logical way to interpret it and that all cars manufactured BEFORE the effective VIN/date are impacted.

Irrespective of what I argued above, I was able to easily prove the thud noises from the front suspension when going over speed breakers at slow speeds (~ 10 kmph). So, finally he had to reluctantly agree to replace the front springs.

I could not reproduce any such noise from my rear suspension, so I didn't bother to replace.
Old 13th April 2014, 23:28   #2113
BHPian

Hello All,

I got the Verna 1.4 CX CRDI model today in white color. Just in love with the intial experience.

Is there anything in particular which i should take care off?
Old 14th April 2014, 09:09   #2114
BHPian

Putting an update from the other Verna ownership thread. Below is the current status of my quest to get the coil springs replaced for a stiffer setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyth Prabhakar View Post
I spoke to my SA and here is what he said.
The TSB is not publicised and only the Service Authorities have them.
He told me that they have been given clear directions from Hyundai to replace them if the customer asks for it and the car is under warranty period.
"ASK and you shall receive" is the policy they are following and there is no need to prove it to them as this is a universally known problem. He is also not sure as to why other service centres are not doing it. However he asked me to direct all whom i know having fludic verna to their service centre and they would freely do it without asking any questions. I understand its not a feasible idea for you to get your car to Bangalore and get them replaced but this is what he has offered.
Quote:
Here is the current status. The local Hyundai dealer picked my car yesterday to inspect( I could not personally go because of other commitments). In the afternoon I got a call from the SA, he said they have tested and found there was thud noise from the rear suspension and they have replaced some pads which has resolved this.

I asked him, What about the coil springs? He said, they have tested and it is all OK. At this, I told him to check with his senior and I am supposed to get all springs changed.
Now, after 5 odd minutes the supervisor called and he again said, they would have replaced the springs if there was any issue, but as of now, there is none. He also said the verna suspension is soft and it will remain so and is a known issue. When i said people have got upgraded springs and this issue is resolved, he said your car does not have any issue so we cant change he springs.

At this, I told him to give me in writing about the known issue and also told him that the loud thud comes from the front suspensiong, how come you didnt pick it? He said, ok I will check again.

He called after 15 minutes and requested that I leave my car overnight because to change the springs, they will have to take Hyundai approval which can only happen on Monday.

So, thats where I am right now. I really believe that Hyundai is carrying out these replacements only for those customers who are adamant.

More on this later once I hear from them.
revved_up is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 18:30   #2115
BHPian

Dear all,
I have a 2012 Verna SX variant. Is it possible to enable the speed-sensing auto door lock on SX?

Please suggest a good fabric seat cover brand for my drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks