Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 11:14   #1
BHPian

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!

After selling off my old Opel Corsa last september, I was on the lookout for a clean, powerful daily drive car. Had almost zeroed down on the Accord V6 but thankfully, my friend picked up one before me. Drove the V6 on the expressway and found it to be very unstable post 160. That car is fast all right, but feels like a suicide machine at high speeds. For us enthusiasts, handling is as important as acceleration, so dropped the V6 idea after driving it for a while. Now the only other option in my modest budget was a pre-worshiped Skoda Vrs.
A couple of my friends own this beauty and I have been quite impressed with the drive and handling in the past. So decided to look out for a clean, non-abused Vrs. The search was not easy. There were very few in the market to start with. And majority of those were either in bad shape or 3rd-4th owner cars for some reason. Then, one fine morning, got to know about this December 2004 Vrs which was lying in Thane. Went to see it, drove it, hammered it and fell in love with it. It was a first owner, 50k kms clean car, used by an elderly gentleman. Bone stock and maintained with love. As i was about to leave the dealership, the car called out to me and said it wanted to be with me. So went back and, after some negotiations, just picked it up. It's been a week since, and I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with him everyday. Tap on the pedal and he thanks you for it with a mean, wide grin and a soothingly addictive whistle. Show him tight corners and he begs you to give him some more juice. And at the end of it all, he just stands there with a "Is that all you've got buddy?" look on his face .

Also, here's a short term ownership report:

The driving experience

Great! A slight turbo lag that gives way to some awesome acceleration. This car begs to be pushed and thrown around corners. A driver's delight! On the mileage side, it's been giving me around 7.5 kmpl with AC on 90% of the time. So I gues it's not that bad.

Comfort

A bit on the harsher side. The ride is a bit stiffer due to the uprated suspension. But then, that's not something that I would complain about.

Features

What I like:

Sunroof
The vRS seats
Climatronic aircon
Great looking alloys
Humongous boot space
Xenons
Cruise control

What I don't like:

Should have come with automatic seat adjusters and armrests
Nothing else

I thank all my friends who convinced me to go for the Vrs. Will keep you guys posted on the driving and upgrading experience as I drive along. For now, I'll just let the pictures do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-chucky.jpg  

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-img01167201104231253.jpg  

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-img01168201104231253.jpg  

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-img01169201104231253.jpg  

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-img01171201104231254.jpg  

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-img01172201104231254.jpg  

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-img01174201104231256.jpg  

My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!-img01166201104231252.jpg  

Last edited by adman77 : 29th April 2011 at 14:51.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Skoda Vrs. The silver beast comes home!

Heartily congratulations adman77. vRS is a true blue driver's car, for Indian scenario! Like you said, it is so damn difficult to get hold of one neat vRS in used car market! Yours look clean and well maintained!

Enjoy her!

EDIT: Mind sharing the price you paid?
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 11:24   #3
BHPian

Congrats adman77. You got the best driver's car. Please share more info for the same.
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 11:28   #4
BHPian

After some hard negotiations, I ended up paying 3.5 lakhs including Octroi and transfer charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Heartily congratulations adman77. vRS is a true blue driver's car, for Indian scenario! Like you said, it is so damn difficult to get hold of one neat vRS in used car market! Yours look clean and well maintained!

Enjoy her!

EDIT: Mind sharing the price you paid?
Old 29th April 2011, 11:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi adman, Congratulations for your pre-worshiped Skoda Vrs, one fantastic car from Skoda stables and I wonder why they stopped its production when people are mad finding it in second hand market. Keep good care of her and update the thread regularly.

Please share the purchase price and post some better pics.

Wishing you several years of Happy Driving. Drive Safe.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:38   #6
BHPian

Congrats on this pick!!! This was a car posted on www.carwale.com and @ this price, I'm tempted to come to Mumbai and pick one.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey Adman77, congrats on the purchase. 3.5L is a steal for the beast. It sure is near impossible to find a good RS. Glad that you found one. Enjoy the beast to the fullest.

Do you mind sharing the work that had to be done (if any) on the car?
Any plans for further upgrades / souping it up? Also, please post more pics and a detailed review.
Once again, Congrats on the beast.

EDIT: Was this car listed in the TBHP classifieds as well? I do think ive seen a similar Thane registered RS in the classifieds section.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 29th April 2011 at 11:46. Reason: Correcting Typos.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
After some hard negotiations, I ended up paying 3.5 lakhs including Octroi and transfer charges.
Are you sure you have not omitted a lakh or two
This is a Steal
Insane price.
From the pics,she looks super clean.
i hope she drives the same.
Congrats.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Hey Adman77, congrats on the purchase. 3.5L is a steal for the beast. It sure is near impossible to find a good RS. Glad that you found one. Enjoy the beast to the fullest.

Do you mind sharing the work that had to be done (if any) on the car?
Any plans for further upgrades / souping it up? Also, please post more pics and a detailed review.
Once again, Congrats on the beast.
Showed it to a mech. Just the alignment and interior washing to be done as of now. No other niggles. As for the upgrades, I'm enjoying it in stock form right now. Might just go for a stage 1 remap and new tyres a few months down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Are you sure you have not omitted a lakh or two
This is a Steal
Insane price.
From the pics,she looks super clean.
i hope she drives the same.
Congrats.
Hehe. No Akshay, i haven't omitted a lakh or two. The dealer asked for 4 and he pretty much didn't have a clue about the vRS. Kept saying it's a petrol Skoda so resale is a bit less. I pounced on it and bargained. Plus, paid full amount upfront so he agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
EDIT: Was this car listed in the TBHP classifieds as well? I do think ive seen a similar Thane registered RS in the classifieds section.
No buddy, it was not there on Team BHP classifieds.

Last edited by adman77 : 29th April 2011 at 11:58.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Plenty of RS's available for around 4 lacs.

You have got one at a very sweet price of 3.5 Lacs and by the photos it looks straight out of a showroom. And done only 50k km's.

the only reason these cars are not picked up so quickly is because they have bad FE. Please share with us what sort of mileage this gives you. I'd say anything around 7 - 8 should be good.

Wonderful purchase and congratulations. Will keep visiting this thread to see any updates.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very good deal for a very good car. Congratulations!
Such deals re-enforce my belief in buying a used car.
Patience pays.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:55   #12
BHPian

The car looks pristine from the pics. 3.5L is a very good price as well. Beware of monogram thefts in Mumbai and have a safe and thrilling ownership experience of the vRS.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:57   #13
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2011 at 14:38.
Saanil is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th April 2011, 14:08   #14
BHPian

This is one of the most understated car in the country as of now. The major problem was fuel efficieny and also the fact that its price was almost the same as a diesel if not more. Indians are super fuel efficiency conscious & hence the car never met with success.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:04   #15
BHPian

Thanks Maverick. Yes, fuel efficiency was a concern, but now it's a rage in the used car market with enthusiasts lining up to find a good deal. Also, it's giving me around 8 in the city with A/C on 90% of the time, so I think fuel efficiency is not that bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks