Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 12:00   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Beat LTO 10,000 kms-Ownership review

I am really nervous. This is my FIRST post on Team-BHP, and it is on our Chevrolet Beat LT-Option pack.

NOTE:This review might not be as compelling or as informative as all the other reviews seen on this forum, please be patient with me. I am only 18, so maybe all the members will see the entire review in a whole new perspective.
Also, just a pointer: In my family, I am the only one who can drive. My mother has a license but she is not confident enough to take the car to the main roads. My sister cannot drive. And my father is elderly and has blood sugar, so he is advised not to drive. Ergo, the review will be entirely from an impulsive 18 year old's point of view. Please bear with me and I will try to do my best to make the review as comprehensive as possible.

A short background:

So, it is April around this time, last year. My family and I have just re-located to Bangalore after my completion of 12th grade from Chennai. Our house is at Sarjapura, which is around 15 kilometers from the city. It is hard to get around...

1. None of us know Kannada.
2.Granted, the bus service in Bangalore is frequent and efficient but not to my father's comfort, as he is physically senile.
3."OK, we need a car"-Me.

I told my mother about us needing a car, to get around the city. She was hesitant for about one to two weeks. But eventually, she also saw that we would be needing one. OK, I forgot to mention this, this would be our family's first car. She finally succumbed to my resilient and persistent pester.(I prefer to call it "You-pamper-me-too-much")
[b]NOTE:[b]At the time, I was 17.. hence legally restricted to drive.

Here's the 'impulsive' part:
I initially wanted us to get a Ford Fiesta.. because my friend had owned an SXi for 2 years, and it was an absolute joy to drive that car every single time! But the on-road price for the SXi was out of our price range. We were not even flexible on budget as my father had just retired from his long 45 years at the IRS. Also, the Chevy Beat had been launched. I called up Trident Chevrolet for a TD.

Mum-"But you don't have a Driver's License."
Me-"It doesn't matter, ma. Not everyone who asks for TDs possess licenses. There are a lot of irresponsible people out there."
Mum-"Doesn't mean you should be one too."
Me-"Who else is going to do a TD?"

Like I said, impulsive and that argument between me and mom went on for quite a bit. Finally she convinced me(or I just gave in)not to go for a TD without a license. And so I called up Trident, and cancelled. Logged in to the internet, I went to Google. "Chevrolet Beat review", I typed in and four to five clicks of the mouse later, T-BHP and Mr. GTO's review on the Beat. I had never seen anything like it before! It was simply transcendental of all I had seen up and until then. But I still thought, that I won't make my decision based on that alone. I suggested to my mother that we still do a TD, but with Vinod chettan(older brother in Malayalam), who was my cousin. She agreed. That day, Trident Chevrolet told me that all the TD vehicles were booked out. I checked with Kropex Chevrolet and they offered a TD for 2:00 p.m. My cousin and me decided to drive it(my mother tagged along in the back seat)

Test Drive experience:
My cousin got to drive most of the car, on Sarjapur road. He took it partially into the city up till Agara post, and back again into the colony. He told the sales executive that he liked the car overall and especially the interiors and the A/C which was I accept, an absolute chiller. He also said that the performance was good, which I was skeptical about. My mother naturally, shut me off and paid attention to my brother, since he was much older and assumed to be much wiser when it comes to these things. I got a short time on the TD car, but I was restricted to driving it only inside the colony. I drove it for about 5 minutes. In that time, what I felt:

1. Average looks.
2. Small hatchback.. and, does look a little girly. No offense to Beat owners!
3. Easy to drive and maneuver.
4. Excellent handling and easy to throw around.
5. SLOPPY 2nd gear! Too much turbo lag with A/C on, when shifting from 1st gear at a speed of 10 kmph!
6. RPM meter doesn't turn red. Disappointing.
7. No height adjustable seat, and so poor visibility of the road.

Time up.

My brother urged my mother to buy the car. And naturally, my mother wouldn't listen to what I have to say.. let alone take it into consideration. And also, the sales executive sort of coerced the booking upon my mother, who is REALLY gullible.

Booking experience, colour selection, accessories and whatnot, inspection and delivery:

We decided to buy:The Chevrolet Beat 1.2 LT-Option Pack, with ABS, front and passenger airbags and alloys.
My mother gave a check for the booking amount and delivery was promised within 10 days. I was excited nonetheless, maybe one day when I am old enough and have a job, my family will listen to what I have to say and I might have my way(smiley face). I am the only automotive enthusiast in the family. My sister although excited, did not take part in the TD or booking. My father was indifferent and my mother was happy because I was happy(happy but not satisfied). So the colour selection was letf to us. The cocktail green and Linen beige were ruled out as it was not to anyones' liking. The 'Olympic' White simply looked dull. We zeroed in between Super Red and Moroccan Blue. The Caviar Black was also ruled out because it was not metallic. I preferred the Black. Finally, we decided upon the Blue. Kropex India told us about the 3 year free service pack and it was me and my mother who decided on the sun films.
We went with V-Kool for side windows and rear. Kropex provided the front windshield sun film, a V-Kool which was a default for all their cars. All the other tax payments, car insurance, road tax payments went hassle free. My mother handled everything. She is an ex-State Bank employee, so she is pretty smart.

At last, on May 25th my brother and I went to take delivery of the car. I was so excited that I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and waited impatiently for my cousin to arrive(NO EXAGGERATION!). It took us nearly an hour and a half to reach the showroom. We first took the bus from right outside our colony to Bellandur Gate, which is the first accessible stop to get into an auto without being asked for ridonculous rates like Rs. 300 and Rs. 400/-. We took an auto to Kropex India Ltd. on Hosur Road, Singasandra. We arrived at the showroom at 9:00 a.m. Anil(Our sales executive) told us that the car was ready and it was being cleaned. We waited for it to come around from the lot. My brother started reading auto mags. I trotted impatiently around the showroom. After a grueling half hour, which seemed like an eternity(Courtesy: Albert Einstein) the car came out from the lot. Kropex themselves took the initiative to get it registered. The guys at Kropex kept polishing the car till the last second, when we drove it out the gate. They fixed the front and back number plate, Anil gave us the keys, a basket of fruits and whatnot and the complimentary Chevy teddy. The odo read 6 kms. My brother started the ignition and we drove off home.

We jump 8 months into the future:
It is January, 2011. I am 18 years old as of 15th November 2010. I FINALLY have my Driver's
License! YAY! Odo reads-4500 +/- kilometers.
"Now, NO ONE is going to drive except me!"

Driving Experience:
I have enjoyed driving The Beat. I cannot comment on initial performance and run-in period
experiences as it was being chaffeur driven at the time.
A few pointers:

1. The 80 BHP S-TEC II engine feels refined and smooth at RPMs less than 3k.
2. At high RPMs, above 4.5k, the engine growls, and there is often a burnt smell(is that supposed to happen?)
I wouldn't know how the chaffeur treated the car during the run-in periods. In the short amount
of time that I spent with him in the front passenger seat, he seemed to be driving calmly,
and made no rash movements, no sudden braking and quick up-shifts.
3. The second gear is a major bummer. Although, now I am used to it and I can make pull up
from a very low RPM or even a standtill even with A/C on.
4. The highly recommended tyre upgrade is still to be done.

What I like:
1. The interior looks, fit, finish and general ergonomics.
2. The A/C. No doubt, the best in its class.
3. Driveablity and suspension.
4. Keeps up on the highway. We have made three B'lore to Chennai trips in our car till date.
Each time none of us experienced any fatigue. The ride was comfortable, primarily because there
were only 3 of us.
5. FE is around a constant 15 in the city and 18 on the highway. Which I suppose is good
enough.
6. The size of the Beat, makes it easy to squeeze into tight spots, in Bangalore traffic
and road conditions.
7. The headlamps are powerful in the night. The high beam lights up the deserted Sarjapur
road, if it's past 11:30 p.m. or so
8. Automatic climate control is very effective.

What I don't like:
1. Interior space. VERY limited. Best suited for a family of 4 like us.
2. Boot space. Tiny, like Mr.GTO mentioned in his reviews, not suited for long trips.
3. Ground clearance is BAD. I don't know if this is because of the under-sized tyres or maybe
the suspension is a tad too soft? Beat owners please advice.
4. Front road visibility is limited. I am 5'8" and not able to see the bonnet, and the road
ultimately. I accidentaly ran the car into a ledge, which was not visible. It rammed into
the front bumper and it was damaged badly. We claimed insurance and damage has been fixed now.
5. Manually adjusting mirrors. Very frustrating. First our driver sits and adjusts it to his
liking. Then I get it in, and I adjust it to the recommended position and then he gets in again
and gives me an orthodox lecture on why it should be kept like "this" and not "that".
Adjusting the mirrors are ok, I just wish they were electric.
6. The drivetrain itself. The clutch is short and the car 'jumps' forward everytime I up-shift.
Anyone else notice this? The gear knob is icky(slightly juvenile, I know) in design and requires
long and precise throws to slot in properly.
7. Rear 60:40 folding seats. Makes it a two-seat occupant, and doesn't provide much extra boot
space.
8. Mini USB port! Could some please suggest some place from where I can buy a converter?

-END-

The Beat has run 10,200 +/- 10 kilometers now, with three services done cost free, and although it wasn't my first choice, I
have enjoyed driving it in the city and on the highway.

Inteded mods:
Tyre upsize to 175/65
ICE upgrade to component speakers, amp and a sub(which will significantly reduce the already
not-so-spacious boot).
Customized floor mats, like you see in houses and stuff.
Leather upholstery.

I hope you enjoyed the review and please ask me if you have any doubts and please let me know
if have missed anything!
I hope I have impressed you all

P.s. Pics to follow soon.

Last edited by manson : 12th May 2011 at 15:09. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
Skye1592 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 14:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Beat LTO 10,000 kms-Ownership review

Thread moved from the Assembly line to the Initial ownership forum. Congrats on the car, and thanks for sharing!
Old 29th April 2011, 15:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations skye1952 for your Chevrolet Beat. I am happy to know that you are satisfied with your car and she is serving you well. Please post some pictures of your car. What are your views on the odd position of door opener in beat? Also it will be helpful if you can share servicing costs (consumables) with us.

Take good care of her and drive safe.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the car, and thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations skye1952 for your Chevrolet Beat. I am happy to know that you are satisfied with your car and she is serving you well. Please post some pictures of your car. What are your views on the odd position of door opener in beat? Also it will be helpful if you can share servicing costs (consumables) with us.

Take good care of her and drive safe.
Thanks! Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow! Door handles are positioned oddly agreed, but the plastic is good and I am used to it now. The servicing is free for three years came as a package with the car
Old 29th April 2011, 16:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey! Thanks for sharing. Excellent review filled with your excitement. I think there is a ECU remap available that gives more power in second gear. Refer ownership reviews here to get more details. Keep the updates coming in. Drive safe.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:34   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the 10K run with your BEAT.

Could you please comment on how your elderly parents find the ride comfort, ingress/egress? I might buy this for my folks some time later.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Hey! Thanks for sharing. Excellent review filled with your excitement. I think there is a ECU remap available that gives more power in second gear. Refer ownership reviews here to get more details. Keep the updates coming in. Drive safe.
Thanks! What is an ECU reamp? Could you elaborate?
Old 29th April 2011, 17:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalpoint View Post
Congrats on the 10K run with your BEAT.

Could you please comment on how your elderly parents find the ride comfort, ingress/egress? I might buy this for my folks some time later.
Thanks! The comfort is excellent. The A/C chills the rear seat easily. But it is strictly a 4 seater. Do ask me if you need any more info, if you plan to buy the Beat. Also check out the Figo and Ritz.
Old 29th April 2011, 19:28   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your car Skye1592! That's a nicely detailed review.
Why don't you let some pics spice up your already brilliant review??

As, gemithomas pointed out, there is an upgrade to the ECU settings of the Beat that Chevrolet is offering. It improves the 2nd gear response. Though not by miles, it makes the car much more drivable in second gear. Check out with your service advisor at the next service.

That along with your planned tyre upgrade should make you even happier! Like I am!

Last edited by Auto freak : 29th April 2011 at 19:29.
Old 29th April 2011, 20:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Congrats on your car Skye1592! That's a nicely detailed review.
Why don't you let some pics spice up your already brilliant review??

As, gemithomas pointed out, there is an upgrade to the ECU settings of the Beat that Chevrolet is offering. It improves the 2nd gear response. Though not by miles, it makes the car much more drivable in second gear. Check out with your service advisor at the next service.

That along with your planned tyre upgrade should make you even happier! Like I am!
Thank you Auto Freak! The ECU upgrade is intriguing. I am thinking of a 175" upgrade for all tires. What do you think? I heard from one dealer that 185 is the maximum up-sizable for the Beat.
And pics first thing tomorrow
Old 29th April 2011, 21:10   #11
BHPian

Congrats Skye1592 on the car! I like the look of Beat.. post the pics soon!
Old 29th April 2011, 22:21   #12
BHPian

Congrats Skype1592 ..
Wish you a safe and exciting driving experience ahead.

Nice review.

Few things from my side:

Please check the ECU mapping version when you go for the next service. I have experienced improvement after the re-map. My fuel economy also increased after the re-map.(subjective matter and does vary from person to person due to different to driving styles)

ICE upgrade is a must, because the stock speakers are really bad.

The stock wheels(14x4.5J) are too narrow for a 175/65 tyre. So better to upgrade the wheels also to 14x5.5J or 14x6J if you are going for 175 wide tyres. Check this link for more details on the compatibility: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 3 of 4

There are lot of ownership reviews in this forum itself. Please have a look to know more about others experience including my thread.

BTW, turbo lag is not the term to be used in case of Beat. It is a term used for diesel vehicles having turbocharger. Turbo lag refers to a short delay before the turbocharger develops sufficient boost.
Beat is a petrol vehicle and does not have a turbo.
Old 30th April 2011, 09:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Congrats Skype1592 ..
BTW, turbo lag is not the term to be used in case of Beat. It is a term used for diesel vehicles having turbocharger. Turbo lag refers to a short delay before the turbocharger develops sufficient boost.
Beat is a petrol vehicle and does not have a turbo.
Thank you! I didn't know about the 'turbo lag'!What is it called when a petrol engine does not generate enough power and it takes time to pull through from low RPMs? Care to shed some light?. ICE upgrade is not on the list of immediate upgrade lists. Looking into the tire upgrades and ECU re-amp, like everyone suggested.
Thanks for your input! Also thanks for the car bible link! Looks like an amazing website!

P.S.: I've already read your review on your beat
Old 15th November 2014, 11:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
Thank you! I didn't know about the 'turbo lag'!What is it called when a petrol engine does not generate enough power and it takes time to pull through from low RPMs? Care to shed some light?. ICE upgrade is not on the list of immediate upgrade lists. Looking into the tire upgrades and ECU re-amp, like everyone suggested.
Thanks for your input! Also thanks for the car bible link! Looks like an amazing website!

P.S.: I've already read your review on your beat
Came through your thread while I was checking for LT(O) reviews.
Can you confirm that they still provide Auto Climate Control?
Old 15th November 2014, 22:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
Thank you! I didn't know about the 'turbo lag'!What is it called when a petrol engine does not generate enough power and it takes time to pull through from low RPMs?
Hi Skye, many many congratulations for new ride, wishing you many safe miles in it. Yes you are right, this is related to engine not able to pull enough, is is called poor 'low end torque'. This is is particular common in today's downsizing engine cc trend. The best way to tackle it is by shifting at sweet spot of the engine, the current petrol Beat owner will be helpful in finding you the sweet spot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks