Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 11:16   #1
BHPian

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log

Two months ago, started searching Small Car for Wife, we had a look at the options available, the cars on my mind were (Alto K-10 & Spark).
I was looking for a Petrol variant as the would be used primarily by my wife and running is less than 500 Kms per month, so diesel variant was out of the criteria.

I was more inclined towards the Alto K-10 due to it's Pocket Rocket performance & the Facelift is pretty good & it looks awesome in White Color, took a Test Drive and i was bowled over by the performance & the agility of the car in city traffic. But my wife didnt like the interiors & she was of the opinion that it is quite close to the M800 in terms of interior space.
So sadly it was ruled out.

Also an observation that, the Maruti Sales woman was not interested in giving us the TD, she made a lame excuse that the car sells without TD. I told i am not going to book any car without a TD, whether it is a Mercedes, BMW or an Alto for that matter. This behaviour of her left us surprised, because i have owned 2 Maruti Cars earlier and the response from the Sales Persons was phenomenal.

After the conversation was over regarding the formalities, discounts and all she gave us the quotation & after that there was no followups till 7th May and we visited the showroom around 15th April

After the Alto K-10 episode wifey wished to check out the Chevrolet Spark, i was a bit apprehansive about the GM A.S.S & brand image, but it all vanished when we took the TD of the Spark LT Version, the engine was super silent, there was an airy & big feel to the interiors that was pleasing to the eyes.

Wifey loved it and was keen on booking the car immediately. The sales person Mr. Akshay was very helpful throughout the process and was very courteous in answering all my queries, i was very much impressed by the level of customer attention he provided. He was well aware of the features and the technology of the Car, showed us the car in detail and explained each and every aspect.

We booked the LT Variant in Olympic White Color after a week. I told Akshay, that i wanted to check the car at the stock yard before it is registered, he agreed and promised to let me check the car in the yard. Next day i went to the yard and checked out the car as per the checklist i have made and as per the TBHP checklist, to my satisfaction everything was in perfect shape, i gave a go ahead to Akshay for getting the car registered, took a small TD in the yard also..!!

Akshay called us on Monday 9th May, that the car is ready and if we wished we can take the delivery anytime, decided to take the delivery on Wednesday 11th May. Reached the showroom around 11:30 am checked the car thoroughly and over the process Akshay was standing beside me. There was some dirt and grime under the driver side foot mat, they vaccumed and cleaned the carpet immediately. The whole delivery process went very smooth, and after completing all the formalities we were given 5 Litres of Petrol, Akshay handed over a Chevrolet Orgraniser for keeping the documents and other stuff, A Chevrolet Key Chain, Chevrolet Tissue Box & Chevrolet Soft Toy. After all this we were out with the car on the open road. Went straight to the Petrol Pump and then to the Ganesh Mandir.

And now to let you know, Mr. Akshay is from a Maruti Dealership he shifted recently from Maruti to Chevrolet. As a Customer, I want to thank him for the Awesome response he has given. Good Luck..!!

First impressions of the Vehicle after driving it for 110 Kms::
1. Engine Refinement / Pickup: Was very good, and the response from the Engine was superb, no noise and it was quite smooth, the performance i felt was almost the same as the Alto K-10. And there was a minimal drop in performance after the AC is switched on. I think that will ease out once the car clocks more kms & the engine opens up.

2. Brakes: Very precise and accurate. felt confident on braking hard at one time when the lorry in the front applied brakes suddenly.

3. Gear Shift: Was very smooth and the gears slotted in very well, but the Gearbox is a bit notchy & has a rubbery feel to it. It is not as crisp as in the Alto K-10.

4. Stability & Ride Quality: At the speed of 80 Kmph(is the max is stretched it, as it is in running in period) the vehicle was very much planted and felt very stable, and on the patchy roads of Mumbai, the suspension handled the potholes with aplomb, so satisfied on that front.

5. AC: It is a real Chiller, Cooled the Cabin very quickly, the Fan Speed was on 2, and after sometime, i lowered the fan speed to 1.

6. Rear seat Comfort: Didnt got a chance to experience the rear seat as i was driving, but i sat in the rear seat when the car was stationary, there was more than acceptable space for me to sit and the under thigh support was good. The seats are comfortable and it can seat 3 lean people easily.

Styling of the Vehicle (Exterior & Interior):
1. Exterior: Spark has got a Girly feel to it, there is no doubt about it that it attracts the attention of the females & in White Color it looks very good. That is why my wife loved it, it is a well balanced design with respect to the exteriors & the front has a cute kinda feel to it. So all over pleasing to the eyes.

2. Interior: They are very well designed, loved the airy feel of the interiors & fit & finish levels for the car of this segment. The beige interiors create a very pleasing ambience & gives the cabin a big car like cabin feel. However, they are tough to maintain as they get dirty easily. The centrally mounted Console is a matter of getting used to and after speding sometime with the car i got used to it. It has a Integrated Stereo system with 2 Speakers in front and 2 in the rear, the system is equipped with the USB & AUX slots and sound is
decent. Interiors are well appointed & are a nice place to be in, gives the car a very airy and spacious feel.

Mileage:
I had not calculated yet, but will do after i clock say around 300 Kms, by the Tank full to tank full method, i got a full tank when i took the delivery, will update this part as the car clocks more miles.

+ves:
1. Awesome engine refinement, very silent & eager to lunge forward, no need of changing gears frequently the Peak torque @lower RPMs takes care of the frequent gear changes. 4 Cylinder SOHC STECH engine is a Peppy performer.
2. Excellent Hydraulic Power Steering. Provides good road feedback.
3. Very easy to handle in the City traffic, due to its small dimensions it is very easy to chuck around. Small turning radius aids in taking U-Turns.
4. Excellent Fit & Finish of the interiors. Interior space is well managed & all over a very pleasing cabin to be in.
5. Lots of cubby holes to fit in your knick knacks & 5 Bottle Holders, 2 in the front doors, 2 below the center console & one in the middle of the front seats.
6. Chevrolet CPCO 3 year maintenance plan. Boosts the confidence in the product.
7. Good / Acceptable Ride Quality over potholed road of Mumbai.
8. Felt Very Stable & Planted at the speed of 80 kmph. That is the max i stretched it as the car is in the running in period.
9. Cute Exterior design, and well proportioned all over.
10. Interiors feel that they will age well with time, atleast for now.

-ves:
1. Many features have been deleted from the LT variant which were available earlier like 60:40 Split seats, Rear Wash & Wipe, Body coloured door handles & ORVMs etc.
2. The Centrally mounted console takes time to get used to.
3. The indicators are on the left side as opposed to the right hand configuration for the other cars. I switched ON Wipers 2 times in confusion.
4. Notchy Gearbox, not slick enough like the Alto K-10
5. Thick A-Pillar obstructs the visibility.
6. GM Service Network, we have only 1 Dealer in our vicinity.

Summing it Up:
All in all a Great Value For Money vehicle within this price range and the features which it provides. Expect some good service backup from Chevrolet as we have gone in for the CPCO 3 year Maintenance plan.

Accessories installed at the Dealer Level:
1. Floor Mat Set: Dealer provided it for FREE.
2. Mud Flaps: Dealer provided it for FREE.
3. Chevrolet Door Sill Guards.
4. Garware Sun Film (Back and Windows).
5. Chevrolet Door Protectors (Long Black Strip).

Accessories / Modifications Planned:
1. Rear Parcel Tray: Kindly suggest, where can i get it ? The one available at the dealership is way too expensive @1200/- Rs.
2. Front Sun Film: Suggest which one to go for ?
3. Car body Cover: Bought from a local accesory shop.
4. Art Leather Seat Covers.
5. Painting the OVRM, Door handles, Rubber Door Protectors (Long Strip), The black plastic strip above the rear number plate & One slot if the front lower grill in RED.

Attached are some pics which i took during the PDI which i did at the Yard & Delivery day. More detailed pics coming up on the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-26042011028.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-26042011029.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-26042011031.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-26042011032.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-26042011033.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01934.jpg  

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 13th May 2011 at 11:25.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 15:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log

Let me be the first to wish you .Congrats on the cutie pie Spark.One doubt -Does the LT version has body colored door handles and mirrors?Looks nice in white .How is the sound quality from the OE stereo?
Drive her safe
Regards
Sreehari
Old 13th May 2011, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Spark, Sharma. Drive safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Let me be the first to wish you .Congrats on the cutie pie Spark.One doubt -Does the LT version has body colored door handles and mirrors?Looks nice in white .How is the sound quality from the OE stereo?
Drive her safe
Regards
Sreehari
Even I thought so. And i remember seeing a rear wiper too in previous LTs. Apparently, GM/Chevy has cut few features in it's latest avatar!
Old 13th May 2011, 16:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats from a fellow White Spark owner!! Wishing you many happy miles with the car. It is a very capable vehicle and I have gone ahead with a few subtle performance mods as well and it has held up very well after the mods too!!

The gear box gets better once you pile on the miles but it wont be like the K10 box. Mine has done 12k so far and it is very easy to shift gears and i have hardly fumbled in the wrong gear. The notchiness is no more there.

Reversed wiper/turn indicator controls does need some getting used to. Once done, you will be comfy even when changing cars and driving the ones with the correct config.

@shk & Driv3r - Of the features that were omitted from 2011 onwards, the body colored door handles and mirrors were one of them. So it no more has body colored door handles/mirrors.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 13th May 2011 at 16:09.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:25   #5
BHPian

Hi sharma_sanjeevi,

Congrats on your new car. Looks really good in white. I own a black Spark LS and so far its doing good. I had some issues on mileage though as its not giving the mileage that was promised while purchasing it.

@abhinav.s: Could you please let me know the approximate mileage that you are getting from your Sparky.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:43   #6
BHPian

Thanks shk_8896, DRIV3R, abhinav.s, sami1316 for your wishes.

@shk_8896, to answer you the LT Version now dosent come with the Body Coloured Door Handles, OSRVM and Sound Quality from the OE Sound System is Average to say the least. But that's OK for the price of the car which we paid
They have deleted the Rear Wiper & 60:40 Split seats also from the LT Variant. Sad..!!

@abhinav.s, thanks buddy. Saw your spark thread also, its awesome. The way you have narrated the whole thing is quite good. Relieved to know that the Gearshift will improve over time.
Yup, it is a very capable vehicle, rather i would say under estimated. The engine is Super Refined and it cruises very well, just yesterday night had a highway drive of about 20 Kms. It was very good.

I am Planning to get the OSRVM's, Door Handles, Plastic Strip above number plate painted in Electric Red color to give it more Zing Lets see how it turns up. Question, Can the Door Handles & the OSRVMs be painted without being removed from the Car ?

@sami316, Thanks buddy. Yes, the Olympic White Color looks Cool..!! What is the Mileage you are getting ?

More detailed pictures coming on the Weekend..!!

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 13th May 2011 at 16:46.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
@abhinav.s: Could you please let me know the approximate mileage that you are getting from your Sparky.
The mileage figures before mods was around 13 kmpl in the city with AC and 16-17 kmpl on the highway with AC. After mods, it was initially lower by 0.5 kms but after 500kms of driving with mods, the mileage has settled at 13.5 kmpl with AC in the city and 18 kmpl on the highway with AC.

More details about the mods in my thread here:

@Sharma, better to get the parts painted after removing them if you are getting done from a third party. But if the painter is a capable guy who can ascertain that there wont be paint spots on the other parts of the body then you can go ahead but tread with caution!!
Old 13th May 2011, 20:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
@Sharma, better to get the parts painted after removing them if you are getting done from a third party. But if the painter is a capable guy who can ascertain that there wont be paint spots on the other parts of the body then you can go ahead but tread with caution!!
Thanks buddy..!! I will enquire about the skill of the painter and then decide whether to remove or not to.
You said it right, if the painter is skilled he can do the task with the Door Handles & other things fitted on the car itself.
Old 14th May 2011, 20:55   #9
BHPian

Some more Pictures, i clicked today morning. Couldnt click detailed ones as the Camera Battery ditched me

Getting the Door Handles, OSRVMs & the Black Strip over Rear Number Plate painted tomorrow. Will post the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01936.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01937.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01938.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01939.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01940.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01941.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01942.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01943.jpg  

Old 14th May 2011, 22:10   #10
BHPian

Some more Pictures..!!
Attached Thumbnails
Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01946.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01947.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01948.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01945.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01944.jpg  

Old 15th May 2011, 20:41   #11
BHPian

Got the Door Handles, OSRVMs, Black Strip above the Rear Number Plate & One Slot in the Front Grill Painted in Bright RED..!!

Loads of pictures to be uploaded, will do so tomorrow.

Just an introduction today of the "Characters" who played there part in the Completion of the Job

1. Sweet Old Small Garage.
2. Man in Blue Shirt: My TRUSTED Mechanic & the owner of the Garage from last 8 Years, Chand Bhai.
3. Man in Grey T-Shirt: Painter, Raja Balli.
4. The other two guys: Assistants, 1. Pramod 2. Quayyum.
5. My Chevrolet Spark LT.

Attaching the Introductory Pics in the order mentioned above, rest will post tomorrow, as i have to rush to Siddhivinayak Mandir for taking the blessings of Lord Ganesha
Attached Thumbnails
Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01951.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01954.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01953.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01962.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01975.jpg  

Old 16th May 2011, 00:08   #12
BHPian

Congrats for the Spark. Looks very cute in that white shade. I never knew that it is powered by a four cylinder mill now. Thanks for updating.

OT: The paint job ppl look quite pleased with the photo shoot.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:28   #13
BHPian

@Utopian, thanks buddy..!! IIRC, the Spark was always available with a Four Cylinder Mill.

The "Characters" read the paint job people are very Jolly Guys

As promised, presenting the Pictures i took yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01955.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01956.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01957.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01958.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01959.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01960.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01961.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01963.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01964.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01965.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01966.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01967.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01968.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01969.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01970.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01971.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01972.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01973.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01976.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01977.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01979.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01980.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01981.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01982.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01983.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01984.jpg  

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 16th May 2011 at 09:34.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:12   #14
BHPian

Now Time for Unveiling the Final Look..!!

Coming Soon:
1. Custom made Seat Covers.
2. Black Strip on the B-Pillar.
3. PU Coating on the Engine.
4. Vinyl Floor Lamintation: Thinking of doing it, kindly suggest whether i should go in for it ? As the Carpet is beige is it bound to get dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01985.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01986.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01987.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01988.jpg  

Old 25th May 2011, 10:19   #15
BHPian

Update:

1. Seat Covers done.
2. Vinyl Floor Lamination done.
3. Black Vinyl on the B-Pillars.

Let the loads of pics do the talking, didnt got time to shoot the Final setup after covers were fitted. Sunday was a VERY humid day, and i wanted to rush to home as soon as i can after the work is completed. The RED Theme is continued to the Seat Covers also

Will post the pictures of the Seat Covers soon. Till then enjoy the pics which i took when the Work was in progress

Damages to the Pocket:

1. Seat Covers: Rs. 4500/-
2. Vinyl Floor Lamination: Rs. 2000/-
3. Black Vinyl on B-Pillars: Rs. 450/-

On the other hand the Car has completed 400 Kms. and it is doing fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01989.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01990.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01991.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01992.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01993.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01994.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01995.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01996.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01997.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01998.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc01999.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02000.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02001.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02002.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02003.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02004.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02005.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02006.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02007.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02008.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02009.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02010.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02011.jpg  

Olympic White Spark(le) LT: Ownership Log-dsc02012.jpg  

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 25th May 2011 at 10:26.

Most Viewed