Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive

Thanks mate.

* Rs.650 and Rs.1500 for service sounds ridiculously low for the service a 10L car! Could that include Oil change etc? Was it subsidized by any warranty/service plan?

*Any idea of the cause of the Fuel Pump failure? Could it be related to any mods you have made in the car? If I remember correctly, I had read somewhere on the forum about a series of Magnums which had faulty pumps. They, probably, were identified by some sticker color.

* Was it difficult to get the service chaps to change the Fuel pump for free?

* The I20 Crdi being bad in the city is a surprise! Bigger engines being better for city use would make the Optra a better choice than the 1.3MJD and tilt the scales even more.
That did not include oil change. They say it's electric and it can just fail. I was first asked to pay 25k or so for it but after lot of argument they gave me for free.

I20 is very good after a certain speed, it's terrible on turbo lag so I find bigger engines better in city. After a certain speed i20 is decent.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:50   #32
BHPian

re: Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4 & Manza. EDIT : Fluidic Verna added on pg 4

Poitive, with your pointed questions about Magnum you are not helping my cause at all.

I have already postponed my purchase decision and am waiting for the New Fiesta to be launched. Earlier I had decided to buy the Vento but one test drive of Magnum and I fell in love with the car. As I said earlier, it is only the dated feel and the lack of equipment list in Magnum which made me pause. The ICE is just not right and I am factoring in 25k to replace it in my initial cost. Now ANHV with the good reports is adding to the confusion while I am waiting for the New Fiesta.

Heart says - go for Magnum right away while mind says - wait for the New Fiesta and compare Magnum / Vento / ANHV / New Fiesta and then decide. And here you are - asking all these very relevant questions about Magnum and getting positive feedback from the users.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

re: Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4 & Manza. EDIT : Fluidic Verna added on pg 4

@Rodeo, Thanks man.

@No Rules, With regards to the Optra, the following may help a bit in taking a decision:

1) How long to you intend to keep the car for?
2) Is it going to be used by some tall people?
3) What "features" will you miss in the Optra, which you would still care for after a few months?
4) What kind of roads and traffic will the car be typically used on? (lots of bumper to bumper?)
5) As someone asked me, over the life of the car, would you be happier being an Optra and looking at other vehicles or vice-a-versa?
(with the Optra, mate, you are likely to see them in the rear view mirror ;-) )

Unless you have a pressing urgency or see a clear reason not to go for the Fiesta, it may be a good idea to wait for it.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:35   #34
BHPian

Re: Vento, Optra Magnum, Linea, SX4, Manza-Diesel Sedans test driven. Verna, Fiesta l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
1)

After owning Lancer diesel , Indica v2, Palio 1.9 D , i20 CRDi (one of the worst cars for city) and Magnum and now i have become a big believer in bigger engines when it comes to drivebility in city.
Rodeo,
Its off the topic, but still wanted to know, do you still own the Palio 1.9 D.? As i this car is really a rear to see. Even i own the same.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@Rodeo, Thanks man.

@No Rules, With regards to the Optra, the following may help a bit in taking a decision:

1) How long to you intend to keep the car for?
2) Is it going to be used by some tall people?
3) What "features" will you miss in the Optra, which you would still care for after a few months?
4) What kind of roads and traffic will the car be typically used on? (lots of bumper to bumper?)
5) As someone asked me, over the life of the car, would you be happier being an Optra and looking at other vehicles or vice-a-versa?
(with the Optra, mate, you are likely to see them in the rear view mirror ;-) )

Unless you have a pressing urgency or see a clear reason not to go for the Fiesta, it may be a good idea to wait for it.
1. I prefer to replace my car in 3-4 years / 50-60k kms. So yes, resale would be an issue for me.
2. No. There are no tall people in my family and it mostly will be my family of 2+2.
3. A good ICE, MID, steering mounted controls, EBD, Blue Tooth are few features i would have wanted in Magnum. And even the mileage of Magnum is on the lower side compared to the New Verna / Vento / Fiesta.
4. My usage is mostly in the city, Hyderabad with highway drives of 600-700 kms every month / alternate month.
5. Tough to answer the last question.

The positives in the Optra: Extremely spacious car, very very powerful engine, looks awesome (I feel it is among the best looking cars in India), top end variant comes with very good leather upholstery, 2.0L engine belongs in the next category, great feedback from existing owners and LT model sells at less than 11 lakhs.

Negatives - The features listed at 3 above and some more, poor resale value, the 'Magnum-might-be-replaced-soon' thinking, mileage and the most important: It is a very old model. Why buy an old model when you can get the latest with exceptional equipment list and very good performance if not as good as Magnum.

I will definitely wait for the New Fiesta before I decide and I expect the top end model to be priced around 11 lakhs. Presently I have a Baleno VXi which I anyway do not intend to sell. Earlier I thought I would sell the Baleno and buy a small car for my wife but the sad resale value (less than 2 lakhs) has forced me to drop the idea.

So yes, it makes sense to wait for new Fiesta.

Last edited by NoRules : 25th May 2011 at 10:50.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

In my case, if I was to decide right away and be spending upwards of 9L, I would clearly go for the Optra Magnum since I intend to keep the car for longer and the extra headroom and legroom etc needed.

In your case the choice is a bit more difficult.

One way to think about a purchase is to divide the car experience in two phases. First few months and the rest of the time the car is with you. A lot of things which seem important to start with don't seem significant over the life of the vehicle - it being a new model, many gizmos/features. What usually remains important is the comfort (good seats, ergonomics, space), peace of mind (reliability, ease of repair/service), cost of running (FE, service, repairs).

You could consider keeping the car for longer, if u go in for the Optra.(GTO has a good article on the real cost of changing cars.Will look for the link later). Being a bigger engine it would probably last longer than the stretched 1.3MJD's. From what I have gathered, there are many satisfied Optra owners who have done 80k odd. Manikjeet's uncle 1.30L!

About the FE, one needs to keep in mind that most people who would be buying this car would be driving hard and hence getting poorer FE. About the performance being as good as Magnum, I don't see anything in this price bracket. Haven't driven the Verna, but would be very surprised if it offered as much confidence or gave that planted feel.

Buy this car if you loved how it drives and don't mind keeping it for a bit longer. (You are smartly planning to replace the ICE of your choice). You are likely to be more satisfied; even more so on the highway runs.

Hope I undid some of the damage done to your cause ;-) or maybe it stands even further damaged

Last edited by Poitive : 25th May 2011 at 20:12.
Old 26th May 2011, 11:26   #37
BHPian

LOL. Thanks for the inputs, Poitive.

A very good friend who is a top honcho at Ford has asked me to wait till his car is launched. So till the June end / July launch of the New Fiesta I am gonna keep my options open.
Old 12th June 2011, 20:29   #38
BHPian

@Poitive - It's OPTRA written all over you. LOL. Frankly, if I had the money to spend, Optra+NewICE is what I would have gone for as well. For now, my puzzle remains between the Manza and Verito.
Old 13th June 2011, 01:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
@Poitive - It's OPTRA written all over you. LOL. Frankly, if I had the money to spend, Optra+NewICE is what I would have gone for as well. For now, my puzzle remains between the Manza and Verito.
Oh yes it is. Now even if I cross a blind man asking for alms, without my saying anything, he says that he'll pray that I get my Optra soon

And yes, if I had the money to spend I would have been writing ownership experiences about the Optra by now

All the best for your purchase mate. Once you make your purchase do post your comments on this thread. Or rather on this ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html ) one.
Old 13th June 2011, 10:29   #40
BHPian

Between the Manza and Verito, i would put my money on Verito. My FIL owns a Manza and hence comes my feedback:

Reasons,
1. Drive: Turbo lag in Manza, none in Verito. The handling with HPS is precise in Verito but the EPS in Manza spoils the party
2. Space: so different exteriors - so bulky Manza v/s compact Verito but interior space is more or less the same
3. Comfort: better in Verito, the Manza swings like crazy and can spoil your back, my FIL complains everytime he travels between Coimbatore and Bangalore. Moreoever the rear seat of the Manza cannot take 3 in comfort because of the hump and arm rest... while its a flat bed for the Verito
4. Niggles: With a TATA, you always have them. Electricals, mechanicals are always faulty
5. Looks: Here the Manza beats it black and white
6. Image: Verito has the Logan taxi image while TATA has kept the Manza off the yellow boards
7. Cost wise: Verito is cheaper a fully loaded sedan (ABS/Airbags) costs 7.8L OTR Bangalore which is ~8.5L for the Manza

Quote:
Old 14th June 2011, 20:35   #41
BHPian

[quote=AirWind;2389044]Between the Manza and Verito, i would put my money on Verito. My FIL owns a Manza and hence comes my feedback:
quote]

Thanks for your feedback mate. Much appreciated. Just when I thought I'll swing in favour of Manza, I'm receiving comments on how good the Verito is. I'll take the easy way out - I'll get my family to do a TD along with them and go by their(read -wife) decision. I guess it'll be better than me tossing a coin to select.
Old 14th June 2011, 21:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback mate. Much appreciated. Just when I thought I'll swing in favour of Manza, I'm receiving comments on how good the Verito is. I'll take the easy way out - I'll get my family to do a TD along with them and go by their(read -wife) decision. I guess it'll be better than me tossing a coin to select.
@Raj, Did you consider the braking distance I mentioned in your thread?
( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2388829 ). Surprisingly no remarks or acknowledgement of the same.

For others the Braking distance should also be one major criteria in selecting a car. Smartcat has this data for Sedans under 12L here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1897090
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 22:39   #43
BHPian

Oops. I missed that one. Thanks. I went through the threads now. Safety related data clearly tilts the case in favour of the Manza by a mile. What also surprised me was that Manza was ranked right after City in the ratings. Obviously, there were concerns expressed on issues like all criteria not being in. But it puts to rest some of my concerns on the Manza for sure. I don't think it will be a toss of the coin any longer.

Poitive, I truly appreciate you taking the time off to respond to my queries and educating me. Thanks man.

Last edited by raj_srini : 14th June 2011 at 22:41. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 14th June 2011, 22:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm receiving comments on how good the Verito is
Also keep in mind that Verito is built on a borrowed, outdated platform from Renault. Is Mahindra has any plans for building their own platform for Sedans or concentrate on UV and leave Verito as it is with minor tweaks here and there?
Old 18th June 2011, 01:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops. I missed that one. Thanks. I went through the threads now. Safety related data clearly tilts the case in favour of the Manza by a mile. What also surprised me was that Manza was ranked right after City in the ratings. Obviously, there were concerns expressed on issues like all criteria not being in. But it puts to rest some of my concerns on the Manza for sure. I don't think it will be a toss of the coin any longer.

Poitive, I truly appreciate you taking the time off to respond to my queries and educating me. Thanks man.
Am glad to have been of help Raj . Since you too are in Delhi, we could probably go for a spin once you get your new wheels . Happy and Safe driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Also keep in mind that Verito is built on a borrowed, outdated platform from Renault. Is Mahindra has any plans for building their own platform for Sedans or concentrate on UV and leave Verito as it is with minor tweaks here and there?
Raj expressed on his comparison thread, that he has decided for the Manza.

Last edited by Poitive : 18th June 2011 at 01:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks