Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 14:04   #76
BHPian

Re: The New Ford Fiesta - Also Driven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hope this was a worthwhile read and the effort of penning this helps some. Thanks for reading.

Edit: After this lengthy writing, I wonder (again, like the Choosing the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread) if this thread is even useful and read by people, as there is almost no feedback. Neither through words, nor through thread ratings
Poitive, Ofcourse the thread is useful and is read. That was a wonderful review of NFF. While I did not TD it, your observations on the appearance / space / comfort are spot on and reflect my own views. And trust me, your Spacious Diesel Sedan thread has helped more than a few in deciding. Keep it up.
Old 24th July 2011, 14:58   #77
BHPian

re: Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza & New Ford Fiesta

Poitive, fantastic report. I understand that a great deal of effort and time has been spent on preparing such a detailed TD report.
I would be facing the same dilemma and would possibly do the same set of TD's starting in a day or two (barring the Manza).
If you would have asked me a month back, i was pretty sure that i would go in for the New Fiesta. However, the pricing-shock has shaken my belief in this Ford. Ford had a winner in their hands and have masterfully managed to hand over the game to the competitors (mainly Verna & Vento).
I guess you have finalized on the new Fiesta. Great choice- no doubt that it is a fantastic vehicle in terms of drive, handling & maneuverability. Which variant and colour are you opting for? Did you manage to drive it at speeds in excess of 110? Also comment whether frequent downshifting is required and how does the car pull between speeds of 60-100. Thanks for the write up. I would post my views once i start the lengthy and interesting research.
Old 24th July 2011, 21:38   #78
BHPian

re: Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza & New Ford Fiesta

@Poitive,

Very nice write up on the new Ford Fiesta. Very detailed indeed and informative. I fully appreciate your sincere and earnest efforts in bringing us the joy of test driving the NFF.

You are one passionate BHPian who has come up with relevant, interesting threads on various subjects in such a short period. Your contributions are much appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:39   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Thoughts to sum up
Am a bit confused where this car reaches. With the benchmark of a driver’s car at this price, the motor feels a bit of a letdown (is surely not bad, but not what one would expect). The steering, besides the wheel itself, isn’t too sporty either. The space in the rear bench is lesser than most in the segment. The seats themselves are more comfortable than quite a few, however. It then seems to have only a limited appeal as a driver’s car. However since the only other car (again excluding the Optra) for the FTD factor in this segment remains the Linea. Given how people want to stay away from the Tata service, this car makes a place for itself - a bit on it’s own merit, a bit because of the failure of the competition.

But that doesn’t sum it up enough. So who is this car for?
A family which doesn’t have tall people or is a couple with a kids and wants a car with some FTD, is looking for a car with some sense of style, image and good FE. Something the neighbors will look at. Someone who does go on highways and enjoys driving and still wants to stay away from Tata service.

If there aren’t tall people pushing the seats back, the rear bench should surely feel better than the Verna. The Verna may feel better if there are more tall people, as basic legroom is something one needs – an airy feel and under-thigh support is what one can relatively do without.

And yes, in case you are going to be chauffeur driven, make sure you spend enough time in the rear bench, to feel confident, as it is the front which is significantly more impressive.

End notes: (Yes, I still haven’t finished LOL, you guys must totally bored and be pulling your hair out by now!!!)

So, should someone who enjoys driving go ahead and book this car?
Well, I would say, TD the Linea for sure. You may love it enough (with it’s agile sharp nature and raw feedback) to want to bear TASS, as and when you might need it. Also if you find the cabin of the Vento livable (it didn’t work for me at all, mainly due to my body size and expectations) that may be the car for you, as it is a lot of fun to drive too, especially given it’s motor and one isn’t dealing with TASS.

Hope this was a worthwhile read and the effort of penning this helps some. Thanks for reading.

Edit: After this lengthy writing, I wonder (again, like the Choosing the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread) if this thread is even useful and read by people, as there is almost no feedback. Neither through words, nor through thread ratings
Excellent & informative review Poitive. So the natural outcome is 5 stars.

Very unbiased and exact.

One place I beg to differ is - I did not hear any humming sound even in the TD vehicle.

Found the cabin and seating comfortable as I am not too tall or heavily built.

What I really like about the Fiesta was the stability. New Verna for all its power and disc brakes ended up rolling too much for my comfort. The steering is very much like an i20 steering and does not inspire much confidence while driving.

I like your sedate driving comment on the NFS. Ever since I have joined T-BHP, I too have become a rather sedate driver

Last edited by Sugeeta : 25th July 2011 at 11:47.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thoughts to sum up

[/i]Edit: After this lengthy writing, I wonder (again, like the Choosing the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread) if this thread is even useful and read by people, as there is almost no feedback. Neither through words, nor through thread ratings
Poitive, thanks a lot for your test drive report. It is indeed very helpful. Nice, clean and informative report. I personally really liked the way you wrote the report. I liked the way you split the content into multiple posts and the headings you gave to various sections. It made it much easier to read and didn't appear too long as well. Fantastic report! You set the bar real high!
I enjoy reading your posts & appreciate your contributions to the T-BHP forums!
I look forward to more such posts from you in the future! Keep it up mate
Old 26th July 2011, 18:33   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thoughts to sum up
Thanks Poitive for the excellent write-up. This TD report is by far the best in this thread. I really liked some of the statements you made, especially this one - “this car makes a place for itself - a bit on it’s own merit, a bit because of the failure of the competition.”

On the space issue, I feel almost all cars in this segment have inherent space issues, either in the front on in the rear (I am excluding Optra here as it is originially a C+ sedan). I guess the Honda Jazz will have better usable space than all the C segment sedans.

Note: It will be great if you can do a TD report of the New Fiesta Petrol as well
Old 26th July 2011, 19:49   #82
BANNED

Re: Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (P

How I wish the Linea came with the 1.6 liter Multijet with 120 bhp. That will The Car which can be bought both with the head and heart.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Driven! - The New Ford Fiesta Diesel (Titanium+)

So there I was, trying to squeeze in a TD, I rushed into the showroom without any prior appointment. The TD vehicle I had seen outside the showroom had started moving – someone was about to start a TD. I quickly requested the staff, made a noise and managed to get into the rear seat. The fellow took a round-the-block sort of a TD. About 3 kms of very sedate everyday driving. Was a sensible way to take a TD, I thought. He is using it as he would normally use the car on a day to day basis.
Whoa ! What a review man... an altogether unique perspective to look at the things, as they are... my five cents (and the stars, of course!) When I take my TD, probably within next ten days, surely wud take a printout of your review along

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Note: It will be great if you can do a TD report of the New Fiesta Petrol as well
Thanks vb-san... those were exactly my feelings too when readings the report. Hey Poitive, look forward to your TD report of the petrol Fiesta...
Old 27th July 2011, 09:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (P

Excellent review! Can you review the Honda City too???
Old 27th July 2011, 10:10   #85
BHPian

I would have to agree with you about the Linea a 100 %. My family and I all are well under 6 feet and we felt LInea was stylish but the airy feeling that you get for say in the Manza is missing here.
Linea is a sporty sedan where as Manza is a regular sedan. Nothing wrong with any. Just as a classification. That's a critical difference in setting your expectations.
I have not TD'ed the verna or the vento as they were not in my budget.
Old 28th July 2011, 02:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Fellow TBhpians,

I became a member here in April this year and have enjoyed sharing views immensely. As many of you would know my 'what-car?' decision got clear a long long time ago, and I kept at these threads largely for others to benefit from. Of course I have been enjoying the interactions too.

I wrote that Edit part at the end of the TD report as I spent too much time on it and a bit of my work suffered due to it. I was frustrated with myself for it being so, and not getting feedback made it only worse.

Thanks a lot for the appreciation. I don't feel as stupid spending my time sharing experiences on TBhp anymore, as I did at that moment. You guys make it worth it.

Really - Thanks a LOT. You guys brought many a smile on my face with your comments

Poitive

------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Hi poitive,
It's an excellent write up and a large number of people must be reading it . Actually this thread would be better if merged with 'choosing 12 Lakh......' Then it would give a complete picture of this segment.
I must congratulate you for creating two wonderful threads in a very short time.
Got your PM but could't reply because I did'nt have internet at that time.
Thanks a lot for your appreciation mate! You have been around (on the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread) from the beginning and probably brought up the Optra, even before my posts which talked about it, were authorized by the mods (was classified as a newbie then).

I'll elaborate on the thoughts on the idea of keeping these threads separate in another post soon.

Was surprised at not getting a reply then, as you have come across as a polite being. All the best for your purchase decision, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Poitive, Ofcourse the thread is useful and is read. That was a wonderful review of NFF. While I did not TD it, your observations on the appearance / space / comfort are spot on and reflect my own views. And trust me, your Spacious Diesel Sedan thread has helped more than a few in deciding. Keep it up.
Your being as polite - almost concerned (in your tone) at my frustration then seems rather contrary to what your handles suggests!!! I have been assuming that the threads would be useful to others, but well, at times one needs to hear (read) it than just assume. Thanks NoRules mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Poitive, fantastic report. I understand that a great deal of effort and time has been spent on preparing such a detailed TD report.
I would be facing the same dilemma and would possibly do the same set of TD's starting in a day or two (barring the Manza).
If you would have asked me a month back, i was pretty sure that i would go in for the New Fiesta. However, the pricing-shock has shaken my belief in this Ford. Ford had a winner in their hands and have masterfully managed to hand over the game to the competitors (mainly Verna & Vento).
I guess you have finalized on the new Fiesta. Great choice- no doubt that it is a fantastic vehicle in terms of drive, handling & maneuverability. Which variant and colour are you opting for? Did you manage to drive it at speeds in excess of 110? Also comment whether frequent downshifting is required and how does the car pull between speeds of 60-100. Thanks for the write up. I would post my views once i start the lengthy and interesting research.
Thanks Gaurav. No!!!! I have not finalized on a Fiesta. Even had about that in the TD. It is the Optra I hope to have. Or else it is likely to be the Manza. I do need a spacious car so the NFF is a no-no for me. You should go through the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread (which has gone way beyond just my what car issues) which has been linked in the first post.

The gear changes were as the motors displacement suggests. Less than the 1.3MJD's and more than the 1.6 Vento and Verna. But if you read this thread, opinions vary on the Linea, especially. I look beyond the 20-80kmph figures of ACI. The 'pull' was also in line with the displacement.

If you really are looking for serious pull at this price. TD the Optra Magnum Diesel. A new buyer described it something like a 'Catapult like' effect!!!!!

Feel free to share your views on this thread itself, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@Poitive,

Very nice write up on the new Ford Fiesta. Very detailed indeed and informative. I fully appreciate your sincere and earnest efforts in bringing us the joy of test driving the NFF.

You are one passionate BHPian who has come up with relevant, interesting threads on various subjects in such a short period. Your contributions are much appreciated. Thanks again.
What can I say Charthom? You are extremely generous with your words and kindness at various times. My chest tends to open out and feels fuller after I read your remarks . Am glad you appreciate the contributions. You too have been similar. Have loved your ANHC thread. Others who are looking for discussions on the (Auto) ANHC - Just head for Carthom's thread guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post

Excellent & informative review Poitive. So the natural outcome is 5 stars.

Very unbiased and exact.

One place I beg to differ is - I did not hear any humming sound even in the TD vehicle.

Found the cabin and seating comfortable as I am not too tall or heavily built.

What I really like about the Fiesta was the stability. New Verna for all its power and disc brakes ended up rolling too much for my comfort. The steering is very much like an i20 steering and does not inspire much confidence while driving.

I like your sedate driving comment on the NFS. Ever since I have joined T-BHP, I too have become a rather sedate driver
Thanks Sugeeta! Now looking forward to your ownership report. You are likely to be the first owner of the NFF on the forum, from what I read.

Yes, the ride and composure of the NFF was impressive. Am really curious - did you TD the the Optra Magnum at all? Despite the body-roll, it does have very good handling with excellent composure and ride - even over very bad roads. Even more so at higher speeds. I think no other car in the price segment comes even close to it in high speed composure.

Will copy the link of the last TD I did for the Optra and focused on the handling bit.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2428423
(if you skip the Civic-Optra comparison posts, there are some other interesting posts on this issue after that)

Also worth reading this post and the one quoted in it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2379561

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Poitive, thanks a lot for your test drive report. It is indeed very helpful. Nice, clean and informative report. I personally really liked the way you wrote the report. I liked the way you split the content into multiple posts and the headings you gave to various sections. It made it much easier to read and didn't appear too long as well. Fantastic report! You set the bar real high!
I enjoy reading your posts & appreciate your contributions to the T-BHP forums!
I look forward to more such posts from you in the future! Keep it up mate
Thanks carfreak77. Am glad you found it helpful. For a bit of that TD, was thinking of you with your height fitting into that cabin!!! Yes, I too thought that breaking up with headings should be useful. Hope to hear you sharing your experiences even after you have bought your car (on this or the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread). All the best! I guess you are sticking to your NFF decision.

Quote:
Thanks Poitive for the excellent write-up. This TD report is by far the best in this thread. I really liked some of the statements you made, especially this one - “this car makes a place for itself - a bit on it’s own merit, a bit because of the failure of the competition.”

On the space issue, I feel almost all cars in this segment have inherent space issues, either in the front on in the rear (I am excluding Optra here as it is originially a C+ sedan). I guess the Honda Jazz will have better usable space than all the C segment sedans.
Thanks Vb. It has been a joy interacting with you on the forum, with your inputs and counter-views at times. It adds to one's dimensions of thinking.

Why this one may have turned out to be better may be because Ford revealed this car in bits. I had seen it a few times. Then I had a feel of the Cabin. Then eventually a good enough TD. So had more time to think about it all. Also, I seem to be getting more experienced with TDs!!! LOL

Another BIG factor is that The initial TD reports were written after many many weeks of the TD. This one in a couple of days or so, hence I was fresher. Also, while taking this TD was also thinking about how others may experience this car, not just me (was the case with the Fluidic report too)

We have yet to address the 'Spacious' issue from the other thread. In the meantime - Think Manza and Etios!!!! (and they are even cheaper). I am gradually becoming more of a believer in Made for India cars than World cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
Whoa ! What a review man... an altogether unique perspective to look at the things, as they are... my five cents (and the stars, of course!) When I take my TD, probably within next ten days, surely wud take a printout of your review along
Thanks for the generous praise rock22. How this car handles corners, may be of ample value in your case mate. Do check it out. Overall I wasn't convinced about it's value as I was expecting more from the motor. Do check if the power feels adequate on climbs with full load. Being in Haridwar, that should be a point of concern for you.

With that bold bit above, my collars just sprung up and don't come down at all!!! LOL

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
Thanks vb-san... those were exactly my feelings too when readings the report. Hey Poitive, look forward to your TD report of the petrol Fiesta...
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Excellent review! Can you review the Honda City too???
Thanks Ravan (just don't abduct me for the TD!!! LOL I ain't no Sita LOL)

Now now! We even got onto petrols now. They really have not been on my radar at all. However, if they NFF and City is on your final two cars let me know (Vb, you seem to be checking out a lot of cars), I will try to do a TD for you guys (as and when I am near the showrooms and time allows).

@Rock22, The ANHC also remains a good choice, given it's cabin design, all round nature, excellent engine, good FE etc. I hope you are checking out Charthom's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
How I wish the Linea came with the 1.6 liter Multijet with 120 bhp. That will The Car which can be bought both with the head and heart.
@akhilesh - Hmmmm. A Fiat with the Tata A$$ may remain a from the heart choice. But with a 1.6MJD, the heart should steamroll the head for many!!!!

A huge opportunity being lost by Fiat.

But hey! We DO have the Optra. And it handles better than the bodyroll suggests. Especially at higher speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
I would have to agree with you about the Linea a 100 %. My family and I all are well under 6 feet and we felt LInea was stylish but the airy feeling that you get for say in the Manza is missing here.
Linea is a sporty sedan where as Manza is a regular sedan. Nothing wrong with any. Just as a classification. That's a critical difference in setting your expectations.
I have not TD'ed the verna or the vento as they were not in my budget.
@NoMind - Mate I liked the Manza a lot. It was not as 'un-sporty' as the image seems to be. It actually was pretty good. A 10mm tyre upgrade too should help a lot. In case I don't go for the Optra, this is the likely choice, as it has been almost from the beginning (I need the space). Sheer VFM besides many other positives. The only place it seemed to lack on space was the foot-well. No dead pedal either.

The Optra LS at just over 9L OTR is a steal for a 2000cc car with AWIS etc. Please check the sister thread mentioned in the first post, as it talks a lot about the Optra.

Last edited by Poitive : 28th July 2011 at 02:37. Reason: Punctuation
Old 28th July 2011, 08:54   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Vb. It has been a joy interacting with you on the forum, with your inputs and counter-views at times. It adds to one's dimensions of thinking.
Always a pleasure Poitive. As I mentioned earlier (not sure in which thread), loads of information sharing is happening on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
Why this one may have turned out to be better may be because Ford revealed this car in bits. I had seen it a few times. Then I had a feel of the Cabin. Then eventually a good enough TD. So had more time to think about it all. Also, I seem to be getting more experienced with TDs!!! LOL
Another BIG factor is that The initial TD reports were written after many weeks of the TD. This one in a couple of days or so, hence I was fresher. Also, while taking this TD was also thinking about how others may experience this car, not just me (was the case with the Fluidic report too)
This was the longest as well. In comparison, the Verna review was really short. Look the curiosity factor generated by Ford

Quote:
We have yet to address the 'Spacious' issue from the other thread. In the meantime - Think Manza and Etios!!!! (and they are even cheaper). I am gradually becoming more of a believer in Made for India cars than World cars.
Space is a big plus, but for me these made for India cars make sense only if it’s done with a belief that Indian customers are as good as any other customers across the world. Ford Ikon was an excellent example when it was launched. And most recently Vento is another great example. Cars like Etios, Liva, and even Figo fade in comparison.

Quote:
Now now! We even got onto petrols now. They really have not been on my radar at all. However, if they NFF and City is on your final two cars let me know (Vb, you seem to be checking out a lot of cars), I will try to do a TD for you guys (as and when I am near the showrooms and time allows).
Oh yes, actually quite a lot of background work. Once I am done with my research, I will present the finalists in a ‘what car’ thread – to know the finer details from our experts, and also real-life experiences. But that will happen only when my trip to India is finalized. Until then I am interacting with dealers on email. Also, a great deal of information is gathered based on the various inputs from Team-BHP (including your excellent TD reports). My band is not confined to a specific segment. The choices are spread within B+ to C+. And yes, looking at the usage pattern, I am more inclined towards a petrol (unless the diesel variant have an extremely strong case in comparison with its petrol counterpart e.g.; Vento D).
Old 28th July 2011, 10:09   #88
BHPian

@Poitive,

What a great way to begin a day!

I got up,freshened up and jumped to TBHP,first thing. I read a very loving interaction between you and the fellows-fortunate me included. I am filled with spiritual energy-looking forward to a great day.

Quote:
I kept at these threads largely for others to benefit from. Of course I have been enjoying the interactions too.
This is your true self.Thanks mate for the company.

Quote:
I wrote that Edit part at the end of the TD report as I spent too much time on it and a bit of my work suffered due to it.
Appreciate again.

Quote:
Really - Thanks a LOT. You guys brought many a smile on my face with your comments
All faces I would say.

Quote:
If you really are looking for serious pull at this price. TD the Optra Magnum Diesel. A new buyer described it something like a 'Catapult like' effect!!!!!
Buddy,you will be responsible for most buys of Optra magnum on TBHP,for sure. Regret I can't sell my ANHC,for the Optra-too early

Quote:
You too have been similar. Have loved your ANHC thread. Others who are looking for discussions on the (Auto) ANHC - Just head for Carthom's thread guys!
Thanks for the gush of comradeship and generosity.

So when is your Optra/Manza coming out?

Toyota is launching Etios Diesel in September. Please do check it out before final decision.

Love,charthom.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Poitive

I don't know why you felt like this. You have a great knack for writing stuff. Your reviews on all cars are perfectly unbaised and more from a layman's point of view which is what most people are looking forward when they enter TeamBHP.

So stop cribbing now and let the reviews flow in.

Cheers!
Old 28th July 2011, 16:32   #90
BHPian

Hey Poitive!
First of all, awesome comparison between the different sedans. One actually feels like one is there on the TD with you. The main difference I can see as compared to the official reviews here is that yours seems to come from the heart (personal opinions, biases et al ) while the official ones are understandably neutral. Both help to gauge the overall car. 5 stars, obviously!

Out of all the cars you have mentioned, I am yet to try the NFF and the Optra. I never knew about the Optra's price cut. When I TD'd the ANV, it was ok in the city but horrid on a clear stretch. Steering had very little feel at speed and the back seat was like being in a boat on a choppy sea! Vento was impressive but I felt it lacked the bells and whistles offered by the others. Plus, the hoity toity attitude irked me! SX4 was an oddball of sorts. Am always put off by its looks, which are quite confused, IMO. That leaves the Manza and the Linea. Manza was a decent drive and oh so spacious. And the back seat...oh what a back seat! Till now, my favourite back seat was that on the Amby, but now the Manza holds that crown! I could live there! But overall, it felt like a poor fat cousin of the Linea. The Linea was the most FTD out of all the cars mentioned here. I did give her a proper rip and she performed beautifully! In fact, she seemed to be more balanced than my Punto, which feels a tad unbalanced over potholes. Maybe the boot balancing things out?

Anyway, if you are wondering why I am checking out these cars, let me tell you that I have no intention of buying any car for the next 3-4 years! I am quite happy with my Punto, thank you. But I like to keep up with the happenings in the 7-20 L segment. After all, my next ride will be from this segment. One only hopes that 3-4 years is enough time for FIAPL to plonk the 1.6 MJD in the Linea! Oh...the drool escapes from my mouth as I think about that!

Last edited by sumobom4 : 28th July 2011 at 16:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks