Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 19:07   #1
BHPian

Dream come true - My All New Honda City iVTec VMT

Folks,

Have been a member with Team BHP for quite a few years now and have always been going through the posts.

It is my pleasure to let you know that I bought an ANHC VMT Tafetta white last month in Bangalore. I had a Swift ZXI which I used for almost 5 years and wanted to upgrade to a Sedan. The Swift was a fantastic car and the only drawback was the lack of boot space. Everytime we had to travel with luggage, the people who sat behind had to carry the luggage in their lap or place it below their legs - which is why I decided to upgrade for a new car.

My expectations in buying a sedan were:
  • Better power than the Swift (at least 100+BHP)
  • Should be a petrol sedan
  • Big boot space as my parents would stay with us
  • Good safety features
  • A car which I can cherish driving for the next 5 to 7 years
My budget was around INR 10 lakhs and had the following options to choose from:
  • Linea Petrol
  • Maruti SX4
  • Vento
My daily usage of the car is not more than 8 to 10 Kms during weekdays and not more than 50 Kms during weekend. Once a month I travel 1000 Kms with family. Hence, ruled out buying a diesel car with such low running. Also, driving a petrol car gives one that punch!

I ruled out Chevorlet Aveo and Fiesta as they never were in contention.

Linea: I liked the looks of the Linea. However, it made sense if I go for their Diesel version. Also, wasn't sure about the re-sale value, after sales service of Fiat as I have heard shocking stories from my friends.

SX4: The Maruti brand is great with minimal maintenance and good service network, re-sale value etc. But the only botheration to me was that the car is not an eye turner and the interior especially the dashboard etc. is very similar to the swift. The car looks huge and the finish wasn't that great.

Vento: Took a test drive of the Vento Petrol. The car was good. The interiors were great with trendy finish. The dealer where I took the test drive had no idea to explain me the features etc. The product was great but i wasn't sure about the after sales service etc from Volkswagon as they are just setting up their dealer network. I would have bought this car if Vento was a successful car a year or two in India. Hence didn't want to take the risk.

By the way, also visited the Hyundai showroom but was told not by the dealer that the Verna will be launched only by May and they didn't even had a Verna for me to test drive.

ANHC: Took the test drive of the ANHC from two dealers in Bangalore and finally bought the car from Magnum Honda.
  • What i liked about the ANHC:
    • The engine is so silent and was far better than the Swift
    • Safety features like the dual air bags and ABS comes as standard features across all variants (unlike most cars)
    • The car comes with a 2+2 year warranty with road assistance
    • Proven market leader in this segment for almost a decade
    • Amazing power with the 1.5 ltr engine and excellent mileage- (Thanks to iVTec)
    • Power steering is so light that one can operate with a finger
    • Responsive engine and overtaking is at ease without cutting down gears
    • Huge boot space - the best in this class
    • Killer looks - IMHO, the best looking car in this segment
    • Wonderful not to have a CD player. AUX and USB option is real good.
    • Excellent storage space - below the central arm rest, a coin holder for the driver and two cup holders at the rear seat arm rest.
    • The OEM ICE is much better than the cars in this segment, The Mitsubishi HU and alpine speakers sound pretty decent.
  • What could have been better:
    • The ground clearance is pretty low and with a longer wheel base, it is pretty tough to negotiate the speed breakers in Bangalore especially if there are 4 passengers. I'm always worried about the vehicles coming from behind not to hit me as ANHC needs to almost come to a stop to cross the big speed brakers.
    • Automatic climate control system should have been provided to a car of this class - even my Swift had this.
    • Rear head restraints are missing - even my Swift had these.
    • The cigarette lighter is missing - not sure why Honda removed this (as they say this is a eco friendly car).
    • There is no bluetooth option to pickup phone calls.
    • Could have had indicators on the ORVMs and auto retractable ORVMs.
    • No mute button available in the music system - They should have placed it on the steering wheel.
    • The auto lock does not activate when you start the car - Swift had this once you touch 20 KMPH, the doors would automatically lock. The problem is one can open the fuel lid if dont manually activate the central locking at the driver's door.
    • The boot cover is not connected to central locking system and does not have a electromagnetic opener.
    • Absence of AC vents for the rear seats.
    • Only one key provided with the car with auto lock, othey key doesn't have it.
All set at done, the quality of the engine, the pickup, looks, power and more importantly after I studied about the iVTec technology, they took me buy this fantastic machine. As many of you had suggested, selected the car before booking from the stock yard which had the Michelin XM1 tyres. Got insurance free, a corporate discount, sun filming, teflon coating, car cover, rear parking sensors free.

Will post the pics tomorrow. Have completed 3000 Kms till now and will share my initial driving experience shorty.
venkateshs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 20:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dream come true - My All New Honda City iVTec VMT

Venkatesh, Let me be the first to congratulate you on your Honda City and welcome to the ANHC club. A fantastic car with breathtaking looks, killer performance and gem of an engine. Please do add pictures of your car including interiors and engine bay. I too own this beauty which is of habanero read pearl color. Though the car is facing some bad times due to the recent recall, earthquake in japan, rise in petrol prices which is resulting negative publicity of such a fantastic car. Please keep the thread updated regularly. Wishing you several years of happy driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshs View Post
    • Absence of AC vents for the rear seats
Though it doesn’t have rear seat vents, it has ducts under front seats for rear passengers. You have to switch air mode to notice air flow.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 20:40   #3
BHPian

Congrats Dude!!!
ANHC is an excellent choice & overall best package in its segment. You can't go wrong with by choosing this.
I have the same colour Taffeta White V series.
You already completed 3K ?? (may be I should say belated Congratulations).
Awaiting the lots of pics and more on your driving experience soon.
Keep revving the addictive i-VTEC.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 16th May 2011 at 20:42.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 21:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on your ANHC!

The car is a charm to drive.

Everyone is complaining about the lack of central lock on ignition/once the engine is on and the GC. Agree, ACC should have been there; for a premium 10 lakh car, ACC deserves to be there in the features list.

About the rear headstraints, the rear seat has a slight elevation; guess that should suffice unless someone tall is occupying the rear seat.

There is a power point provided just below the A/c controls; you could plug in a cig-lighter there, right?

Anyway, have a great time driving!

PS : You seem to have got a nice variety of freebies. We just got the plastic cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Though it doesn’t have rear seat vents, it has ducts under front seats for rear passengers. You have to switch air mode to notice air flow.
I did not know this!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 21:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

I did not know this!
Even I didn't know this till recently. I was reading owner's manual and saw that the diagram of HVAC, it is showing air flow under the front seats. It was then when I came to know about this after confirming same with the dealer.
I still have to sit in rear to notice the cooling as I never like to sit in rear.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 21:55   #6
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations @venkateshs. The silence, pose, power and finesse of ANHC still shows why it is still a top cat of C segment. Sure it lacks some useful features, but makes up for everything by a gem of an engine that will outlast everything.

Looking forward for some pictures.

Quote:

I did not know this!
Quote:
Even I didn't know this till recently.
This is terrible. Shows that sales people were sleeping during delivery.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 00:39   #7
BHPian

Congrats venkateshs for buying the India's finest Petrol sedan.
Do post some of its pictures as what's an ownership thread without it.
Drive carefully & have a happy miles ahead.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 09:49   #8
BHPian

Congrats Venkateshs and welcome to ANHC club.

Drive safe and have fun with IVTEC.

Ducts exists in the rear, if I could recollect it's mentioned in the manual.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 17th May 2011 at 09:51.
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 11:21   #9
BHPian

Hearty congratulations Venkateshs!

Do post pics of the car. As you mentioned, ANHC has a gem of the engine!
Auto_Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 12:25   #10
BHPian

Congrats Venkateshs! ANHC is still possibly the best petrol sedan in its segment, only Linea T-Jet could be a better driver's car. Couple of questions from my side:

1. What were the differences b/w a petrol Vento and City in terms of performance, handling, zippy nature etc. that you felt during the TD?
2. Why not Linea T-Jet? Did you TD the car?
3. By any chance, did you check for the exclusive edition with leather seats, door moulding etc.?
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 15:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bluevolt. I did see that in the manual. The Vento and Linea score better here with rear AC vents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
You already completed 3K ?? (may be I should say belated Congratulations).
Awaiting the lots of pics and more on your driving experience soon.
Keep revving the addictive i-VTEC.
Thanks. I did 3 long trips:
- One to coimbatore via Mysore-Masinagudi- 36 hair pin bend Kalhatty route-Ooty-Coonoor-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore and return to Blore via NH47
-One via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapettai-Sathy-CBE
- The last one to Pollachi-Thrissur and reurn via Sathy-Dhimbam (27 hairpin bend) - Kollegal-Kanakapura-Blore.

Hence, the 3,000 Kms in 31 days So, have tested the ANHC in all terrains - ghats, expressways, bumper to bumper city traffic, in village roads and during rains.

Quote:
There is a power point provided just below the A/c controls; you could plug in a cig-lighter there, right?
The problem is that there is only a socket. But no cigarette lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
1. What were the differences b/w a petrol Vento and City in terms of performance, handling, zippy nature etc. that you felt during the TD?
2. Why not Linea T-Jet? Did you TD the car?
3. By any chance, did you check for the exclusive edition with leather seats, door moulding etc.?
1. City is more easy to zip through the city traffic when compared to the Vento. The engine is so responsive that Vento doesn't come closer.
2. No, I did not TD the Linea. Just because of the resale value, poor after sales and service and the car has way too much of chrome.
3. I did check on this with all the 3 dealers. The Xclusive edition is not available in Bangalore at all. But some dealers have their own modified version by fittying the Civic's grill (costs 16k only for this) , weird looking seat covers with color combinations etc.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th May 2011 at 16:22. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quite+) instead. Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 16:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshs View Post
The problem is that there is only a socket. But no cigarette lighter.
Socket has power provision, right? Buy a lighter and plug it in! If the reason the dealer gave you for why it is not there is correct, I think I am proud of Honda!
Old 17th May 2011, 16:18   #13
BHPian

venkateshs, congratulations on your ANHC arguably the best in its class for power and performance.
What sunfilms did you fix?
You have to buy a cigarette lighter (costs around INR 200) and fix it in the power outlet socket.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Socket has power provision, right? Buy a lighter and plug it in! If the reason the dealer gave you for why it is not there is correct, I think I am proud of Honda!
Honda encourages keeping the environment pollution free...Hence no to smoking as well
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 17:36   #15
BHPian

Congrats Venkateshs!! Do post some pics of your car and a travellogue if possible on the ooty trip.
cooljai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks