Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 15:02   #1
BHPian

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura

Friends,

I purchased a Indica Vista last week which was run for around 8200 kms and maintained well. Heres a short story about the history and decision.

I am a proud owner of Maruti suzuki esteem from the past 5 years and was more than content with my car. Moreover it was fitted with LPG kit and the running and maintenance costs were just above 2 wheeler.
Mostly used by me and on some occassions by my brother to ferry family to some weddings or functions in city and out of town. My main usage was in city and on an average one trip to mysore every month.
In 5 years i had clocked more than 75000 on the odo ( The car is now reading 127xxx.)

But nowdays I had to attend many weddings and other functions and more often with family and relatives ( this included my aged uncle and parents ). So getting in and out of my car was more uncomfortable and my AC compressor had failed and was uncomfortable in this summer. So i decided to sell my esteem and buy a new car.

But i was in dilemma to go for new car because we have just shifted to our newly constructed house and we have so much debts and moreover i was applying for additional bank loans and i dint want the new car loan to reduce my credit limit. At the same time i dint want to go for too old car also since i had already owned 2 used cars earlier and i wanted all comforts of a new car ( PS,PW ,rear wash,wiper etc).

Now on my decision to buy Vista. Back in 2008 when this car was launched, i had gone along with my friend to the showroom(his brother was looking for Fiat palio) so i checked the Vista there and was very much impressed with the rear seat confort and the roominess. but was disappointed with the plastics and fit and finish. At this same time my brother in law was decided to buy a new car and i had suggested him to buy a punto or swift dzire. both were out of his budget and i had asked to him test drive Vista. He liked it and purchased a Gala red.

He was new to driving and whenever i visited my in laws place i would become the driver to ferry the family on many occasions. So i liked driving this car because of its light clutch and power steering and again for space.

Now when i had decided to buy a new car i went to showroom and enquired for Saffire. ( I knew the 90 Bhp would cost more) but they said they dont have AURA in Saffire anymore and i have to go for 90bhp or Diesel. both were out of my budget since i was not going for bank loan and i had plans to source money from other pvt lenders.

Meanwhile i was browsing for used cars and came across an ad of This Vista. I went and TD the car. liked it and paid him advance of 5K on the spot. (Quoted 4.65 lacs) Asked him to get the papers ready and told him i will pickup the car in 4-5 days time.

I was arranging for funds and discussed about this car deal with friends. They said its a good deal and the car was maintained well and it had run just 8k. but in between i had some doubts about the power of the car with AC on and i was not happy. I had TD the vehicle in very steep slope roads just equivalent of some ghat sections.

Just after this i came across one more ad for i10 sportz for 4 lacs. It had run 5k kms. This was also tempting and now i was again in dilemma.
So i called the hyundai people for TD and took my friends along and i was amazed with its power even with AC on (This was one of main criteria for me). But then the rear seat comfort was just good for 4 people and this was another main criteria for me( it became the final criteria since i wanted comfort for family over my driving comfort or driveability factor).

So decided against all odds and picked up the Vista. The owner was a gentleman and he had kept all brochures,bills cards,slips everything arranged neatly and had also typed a letter with details of all the things he was handing over to me. He wished good luck and i drove the car to home( had applied half day leave at office so i was not in hurry). filled petrol for 500 rs, Went to sticker shop and got my dauthers name cut on the rear windsheild. Went home and took my family with me to temple to get the pooja done.

The drive was very comfortable and somehow the power was more than my expectation even with AC on.

Few additional the car had other than regulars from Showroom.

1) 2 years extended warranty
2) Door visors
3) Rear spoiler with LED brake lights
4) Sil plate
5) 2 Rear speakers
6) Floor mats

My initial observations and feedback about the car.(A few of this is in comparison with my Esteem)

1) Its very spacious and very good legroom and head room for both front and rear passengers.

2) The Noise insulation is very good.( if the music is on i cannot hear my cars horn sound)

3) AC performance is good and the cabin gets cool very quickly.

4) The power steering and the clutch is very light and soft just to my liking

5) Center console is a bit distracting and i prefer conventional driver side console.
6) The driver view is good
7) A pillars are ver thick and block so much of the Vital view particularly the traffic coming from side.
8) Rear view is very good.
9) The OVRMs are very large and provide more than sufficient coverage.
10) The tilt steering reach or the min max difference is not big and as good as no tilt steering
11) The door handle squeaks when you hold it and poor look.
12) front Seats are quite large and supports your back and bottom well.
13) Driver seat adjustment is good but i am still to find a comfortable posture. ( I still love my esteems low CG seating postion, just like race driver).

14) The switches on the steering console are of good quality.
15) The turn indicator switch is very hard and you need more than a gentle push to activate
16) The wiper controls are quite useful but it is not ergonomical to change the different speeds.
17) Rear wash wipe i s good and clears exactly the viewing area for better visibility.
18) Have not used the defogger yet.
19) Front fog lamps work only when the ignition ket is on and the parking lights are on. If for some reason i switch off the engine or turn off the parking lights and turn it on again the fog lamps wont turn on automatically. I have to turn it on again. other owners please comment on this.

20) The power to body weight ratio is a mixed bag. sometime you feel the car is rushing and sometimes you feel the engine is dying.
21) There is considerable amount of Body roll.
22) When the AC is on brakes are crazy. Otherwise the brakes are good.
23) AC fans make more noise inside for setting above 2.
24) The internal adjusting levers for OVRM is OK but would have preferred electronic adjustment because you cannot adjust the opp side while driving.
25) Boot space is just OK with some area being consumed by rear shocks.
26) The built in music system if OK but the display is very poor and difficult to see in broad daylight.
27) The Glove box is quite huge and can hold many things.it comes with a lock.
28) Except two cup holders in front there is not much utility pockets unlike in other cars say beat for ex.
29) The door pockets are almost non existant if you not aware that they are available.
30) There are 2 power sockets. 1 at front and 1 at rear.
31) The full wheel cap looks so cheap and almost looks like a flat plate.
TATA has done well for Manza wheelcaps. They can introduce the same to Vista too.
32) The pedals are rightly spaced with good gaps, no dead pedal.
33) Front windshield wipers clean very well and covers wide area.
34) There is huge gap(Fist size) near the front windshield and Bonnet. all dry leaves and other dirt accumulates here.
35) Horn sound is quite weak. The horn press button or console is too plasticky and feels low quality.
36) Cleaning this cars roof is quite a task since it is tall and quite wide.
Only tall guys can cover complete roof from both sides. Short people will need some stool or should climb over the tyre.
37) The FM radio clarity is very good and and without any disturbances or distortions.
38) The CD players takes more time to read CD's and also the USB drives.
39) The backlit console and the power window buttons looks good in dark.
40) The cabin light is powerful and the autodim feature when you open the door or lock the car is quite nice and useful.

Thats it till now and more to come after my more usage and more aquaintance with this car. I know this car is not peoples favourite and has also a thread running about the drawbacks and faults( I hate it ) but like all other cars and OEMs this one too has some good points and factors and overall i am a happy owner and i feel i have a complete package which is satifying.

The earlier owner mentioned that he had got the front suspension,wiper blades and the Power windows control panel replaced under warranty.

Comments, suggestions are welcome. Till next post...thanks and bye.
Mohan. ( some pics attached )
Attached Thumbnails
My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-1.jpg  

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-2.jpg  

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-3.jpg  

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-4.jpg  

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-5.jpg  

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-6.jpg  

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-7.jpg  

My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura-211714_20110508115357547_640x428.jpg  

Last edited by rvmohankumar : 26th May 2011 at 15:03.
rvmohankumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 15:10   #2
BHPian

Re: My new (Used) Indica Vista Saffire Aura

Congrats on the Buy, wish you have munching miles and hassle free ride in it. I wish you both keep each one happy. The color is best suited. Think about good set alloys, the look will still upgrade!

All the Best
Keep Reviving !!!

Last edited by BulZire : 26th May 2011 at 15:23.
Old 26th May 2011, 15:11   #3
BHPian

Wish you good luck & happy motoring with your new machine. Have a safe drive.
A good choice & good looking one too!
Old 26th May 2011, 15:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

I am glad that someone does like this car, even as a used (lets call it pre-worshipped as per TBHP standards).

I have been driving this car for more than 16K KMs and believe me that there are no issues with car. Ofcourse the typical Tata niggles are there related to the plastic and rubber biddings quality. But, which car doesn't have?

Space and VFM is the reason i got this car. I haven't paid a single Rupee besides the standard 3 servicings. No non-sense car!

Enjoy!!!
Old 26th May 2011, 16:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
Friends,

19) Front fog lamps work only when the ignition ket is on and the parking lights are on. If for some reason i switch off the engine or turn off the parking lights and turn it on again the fog lamps wont turn on automatically. I have to turn it on again. other owners please comment on this.
21) There is considerable amount of Body roll.
23) AC fans make more noise inside for setting above 2.
26) The built in music system if OK but the display is very poor and difficult to see in broad daylight.
31) The full wheel cap looks so cheap and almost looks like a flat plate.
TATA has done well for Manza wheelcaps. They can introduce the same to Vista too.
My take is Fog Lamps are designed to stay off in case you forget and leave them on all night.

Agree to body roll, its a car for more of a straight line drive, ghat sections you get a feeling of floating/disconnected streeing wheel.

A/C blower noise will reduce if you put the recirculation mode off, but keep it on within city else exhaust fumes from other vehicles can be smelt inside. I guess thats true for all cars

The music system in your car is not from Blaupunkt, forget the name but a new version has come and the newer Vista dont have CD reading and other problems. I've seen a lot of difference within radio stations, some are crystal clear some are ok, Im not much into music but I guess theres a lot you can plan around with.

New wheel caps are available, 275 bucks a piece.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. The car sure looks well maintained. And my favourite color for the Vista - Solar Orange.

Just curious - why did the original owner wanted to sell it after 8K Kms?
Old 26th May 2011, 23:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mohan kumar for your pre-worshiped Indica Vista Saffire.

Car looks in very good shape despite the KMs up it sleeves. Please keep the thread updated regularly with more pictures and service updates.

Wishing you many years of Happy and Safe Driving.
Old 27th May 2011, 11:31   #8
BHPian

congratz buddy!
The car indeed looks neat.

You have any idea as to the on road cost of a new vista safire??
Old 27th May 2011, 12:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Just curious - why did the original owner wanted to sell it after 8K Kms?
The owner was given this car by his company(reg in his name only).
He got promoted now and gets to buy a big and new car so he sold this.
The reason for low miles, they have 3 more cars at home. Linea,Ritz and tata indigo( He is planning to sell this and i have interest in it since they have maintained all their cars quite well).
rvmohankumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 12:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz buddy!
The car indeed looks neat.

You have any idea as to the on road cost of a new vista safire??
In the new Refresh series saffire they dont have Aura version. The Aqua would cost 5+.
They have Aura only in 90 BHP version and Quadra version. Both were priced at around 6.15 lacs.

For petrol they have 35k and for diesel 10k cash discounts.
Old 27th May 2011, 13:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
In the new Refresh series saffire they dont have Aura version. The Aqua would cost 5+.
They have Aura only in 90 BHP version and Quadra version. Both were priced at around 6.15 lacs.

For petrol they have 35k and for diesel 10k cash discounts.
point noted. But for 40-50k more wouldnt you have gotten a new car with more peace of mind.Now you have been registered as the 3rd owner in the RC book which would dent the resale value of the car.This is just my thinking buddy. You have gotten yourself an amazing car that looks as good a new and wish you a exciting ownership experiance.
As per my research the aqua bs4 costs 4.73 lacs on road mumbai and the bs3 costs 4.30lacs
Old 27th May 2011, 14:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
point noted. But for 40-50k more wouldnt you have gotten a new car with more peace of mind.Now you have been registered as the 3rd owner in the RC book which would dent the resale value of the car.This is just my thinking buddy. You have gotten yourself an amazing car that looks as good a new and wish you a exciting ownership experiance.
As per my research the aqua bs4 costs 4.73 lacs on road mumbai and the bs3 costs 4.30lacs
I am the second owner, not the third and New car will cost around 4.75 lacs to me which is AQUA variant without 4 doors power windows, rear wash wipe, built in music system, driver seat adjustment and various other features.

I have got this car for 3.6 which is not a bad deal considering it to be a higher variant with all features loaded. Moreover i did not want to go for any bank loan as of now.

When i plan to buy a new vehicle(Not soon) i shall buy a diesel next time.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:37   #13
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the detailed report Mohan. Wish you loads of joy and happiness with the car!
Old 27th May 2011, 15:49   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a refreshing pre-worshipped thread . Heartiest congratulations to you, Rvmohankumar! I'm a fan of the Vista for the sheer space & comfort on offer; it can rival the best of the C segment sedans there. And at 8,200 kms, she has barely completed her running in!! Good car for 3.6 lakhs.

I especially liked the extended warranty part. That's like having your cake & eating it too. Save money on used, yet get the peace-of-the-mind usually associated with new cars. My previous pre-worshipped buy - the OHC Vtec - had 3 years of warranty left at the time I picked her up.

Quote:
But nowdays I had to attend many weddings and other functions and more often with family and relatives ( this included my aged uncle and parents ). So getting in and out of my car was more uncomfortable
Tell me about it; my folks used to hate the Esteem, and now my Civic for its ultra-low stance.

Quote:
The power to body weight ratio is a mixed bag. sometime you feel the car is rushing and sometimes you feel the engine is dying.
Understand the engine's power delivery characteristics. I have a feeling you're looking for juice, when the engine is out of its power band. Downshift!
Old 27th May 2011, 16:27   #15
kkg
BHPian

Congrats for the new car mate. Indica vista is leaps ahead of the older indica in every aspect.

Few months back I test drove a used vista saffire exactly the same color and model as yours for a friend of mine. It had done 26000kms and still was tight with no rattles at all, with all service records. The owner was willing to give it around Rs 2.10 lacs ( yes 2.10 lacs, I'm in Delhi you see).

But my stupid friend didn't have the courage to buy a Tata and that's too a petrol one. His bad luck.

Congrats again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks