Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 17:13   #1
BHPian

My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline

I have been postponing this thread for a long, long and very long time. I was lazy to do this because TeamBHP already has so many ownership threads about Vento. Anyways, here is my experience with a Blue Vento dedicated to all my fellow 'Ventians'.

Purchase Experience

Being a person who gives importance to quality and brand name, I was impressed with the Polo. The only thing I didn't like in Polo was the rear seat legroom. So, when VW announced Vento with a longer wheelbase than Polo, I convinced my dad that this is the car we can buy to replace our existing Opel Corsa (The car with which my trust towards german ride & build quality began). So, we made the purchase and the rest of the story goes like most others (read long waiting periods, crappy service, limited number of dealers). At first we booked silver color since that's my dad's favorite . I continuously pestered my agent every month and was assured a delivery by the end of February 2011. Later, when I heard VW started production for shadow blue, I shifted my booking and my order got delayed by a month. So we finally got the car on my birthday March 26, 2011. It was accidental but a good gift though.

So, now let's get to the drive. I will compare my drive with the ANHV (All new Hyundai Verna) I test drove recently.

Engine & Performance

Except for the little turbo lag till we reach 1500-2000 rpm, the engine performs great. Much better in fact to the sedate performance of the ANHV. ANHV was more linear in performance whereas Vento is more exhilarating.

Engine too is a cracker in terms of both guts and NVH (Noise-Vibrations-Harshness). NVH levels are low but not as low as ANHV. However, I prefer the engine growl and that zippiness after the turbo lag.

Ride and Handling

This is the best car in terms of ride & handling in its segment in India, period. The gear box feels top notch and is slick. I can compare it to a Mazda 3 sedan (that was my car in US) or a notch below BMW. The suspension was set up hard and so the ride is not wobbly as a ANHV. You feel very assured at the rear seat. The car is very stable at even speeds of 150 kmph. A big thumbs up in this department.

Looks

The exterior feels classy and simple in shadow blue. It's not as flashy as a ANHV but looks good on it's own. Interiors are kind of dull but I read simpleness as a major theme in Vento and Polo designs. So, here are the much requested pictures of the Blue Vento.

My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01695.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01696.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01697.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01698.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01700.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01702.jpeg

My only additions to the car are

pure Stanley Satin leather seats, which costed me Rs. 30000/-, parking sensors, VW floor mats (intend to change to Kagu 3D mats but unable to find them in Hyderabad, help would be appreciated), and VW mudguards, which are surprisingly not touching at speed-breakers.

My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01709.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01710.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01703.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01707.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01708.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01716.jpeg
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline-dsc01727.jpeg

Efficiency, Accessories and After sales service

When I was going constantly at 60-70 kmph in either the city or highway, I was getting an average mileage of 19-21 kmpl. The maximum average I achieved was 22.45 kmpl. My drive to and from airport (90 kms of open road without any traffic) gave an average of 19 kmpl. This was at constant 80-90 kmph and an occasional burst to 150+ kmph. Usually, my city commute would give me an average of 12-14 kmpl at 15-18 kmph average speed. So the car is very efficient.

I'm still on the fence about the Witson HU. Waiting for more information on the IPL edition. I prefer the look of Witson over Pioneer/Alpine/JVC but unable to make a decision yet. A simple Auxillary port on the present system would have done the job for me . Parking sensors are a must. However, too much trust on them did me in and I have a scratch underneath my rear bumper. It was due a rock which the parking sensors didn't pick but was big enough to scratch the bottom. Wish I can add parking sensor to the front bumper too. However, not sure if it would prevent any rash drivers on the road because one Van junkie kissed the front in a very subtle manner (not greatly visible but still present) .

After sales service is kind of a mixed bag. Careless driver at the VW workshop kissed my Vento with a White Polo and my whole front left door had to be re-painted. The white polo paid the price since the scratches weren't as visible as on the blue and the owner wasn't present either. I pity him/her. Got the extended warranty done. The price is cheaper when compared to ANHV. But the amount of coverage is very less (engine, transmission and suspension only unlike bumper-bumper as in US). Have no major issues with my car till date (touch wood) to check the VW service except few ergonomic and design issues on the interior.

Finally, I'm a very happy owner of a very good brand and wish they can tighten up few loose ends to make it big in this segment. I can't completely say 'Das auto' but its a 'good auto' and as of now, personally, it's the best in it's segment.
classic86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:51   #2
BHPian

Re: My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
Ride and Handling
This is the best car in terms of ride & handling in its segment in India, period.
Congratulations on the Blue Sapphire, the Vento..!! this is the most obvious choice today in its segment due to its staggering performance & Fuel efficiency.

No doubts it is a very good handler. But, the Vento is second to the FIAT Linea in this department. The Linea is the benchmark in its segment when it comes to the Ride & Handling.

Lets see if Linea can retain its crown on the Ride & Handling part or not, once the New Ford Fiesta is launched.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 27th May 2011 at 17:52.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:56   #3
BANNED

Congrats Classic86. Your Bluey looks fantastic! Do keep updating this thread of Life with a Vento.

Regarding Handling, as sharma says, FIAT has that magic of handling the best. Simply unbeatable.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Classic86; the Vento looks smashing in the Shadow Blue; this is the first time I have seen that colour. And I absolutely adore those seat covers too; I am even more tempted to break my piggy bank to get a set of those for my ride.

Wish you many a safe mile together; keep us updated on your driving & ownership experience
Old 27th May 2011, 18:11   #5
e46
BHPian

Congrats Classic86. I had been waiting for this thread for long. My eyes are soothed now after seeing the regal color, which is Blue.

I guess, shadowfax also has a similar color theme.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your smashing car, the colour is awesome . I wish I had delayed my buying decision of the Vento by a few more months and got this colour !
The power is a fairly intoxicating especially when on a highway where the poise of the car gives a fantastic sense of plantedness

Wish you many miles of safe driving !
Old 27th May 2011, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Absolutely fantastic! the seat covers' fit and finish is perfect. It looks great in beige and love the look of the stitches as well.
Congrats on the blue sapphire. As many have already mentioned , she looks fascinating in blue.
I completely agree with you on the HU detail. I would mostly be getting myself a witson to complete the OE look on my vento. Will post details once its done.

The ergonomic and design issues on the interiors ,that you mentioned- are you referring to the left arm rest's position which makes it inconvenient to use the hand brake_?
Old 27th May 2011, 19:07   #8

Congrats classic86!!!
Well, feels truly classy. Although a lot has been said about the looks of the car I still feel its one of the best-est looking car on the road. (Read classy, Elegant) Looks are personal though. Somehow I feel the car speaks about a certain no nonsense something!! (Talk about fanatsizing!!) Perhaps the best adjective's' to describe the car is non-offender, gracious car with a peppy oil burner!!!
Old 27th May 2011, 19:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

@classic86,

Congratulations on the blue Vento. The colour truly looks good on the car. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.

Could you post a couple of interior pics of the car please? Can you also mention about the OTR cost and how much did you actually spend on accessorizing the car.
Old 27th May 2011, 19:36   #10
BHPian

Congratulations, classic86. The blue sapphire looks smashing! Now put on some killer tints and the superb look will be completed.
Old 27th May 2011, 19:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Fit and finish of Stanley's is top notch, looks great. Can you provide me a little more details on the extended warranty that you took on the car? Price paid, coverage duration, etc.
Old 27th May 2011, 20:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations classic86 for your B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L Vento car.

The car is looking stunning in this color. Very well written review, please add some engine bay pics as well.

Drive Safe and keep the thread updated.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey classic, finally we get a chance to congratulate you for the shadow blue Vento! Looks lovely.

Can you please post some details of the extended warranty you got? AFAIK, everyone so far on the forums has got the standard 2 year warranty.

How much is it OTR in Hyd? PM if you don't want to make it public: would like to compare to Pune prices.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:46   #14
BHPian

According to my dealer in Bangalore, the extended warranty is for 12.5k. I am not sure of the exact terms, though.
Old 27th May 2011, 22:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Congratulations on the Blue Sapphire, the Vento..!! this is the most obvious choice today in its segment due to its staggering performance & Fuel efficiency.

No doubts it is a very good handler. But, the Vento is second to the FIAT Linea in this department. The Linea is the benchmark in its segment when it comes to the Ride & Handling.

Lets see if Linea can retain its crown on the Ride & Handling part or not, once the New Ford Fiesta is launched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Congrats Classic86. Your Bluey looks fantastic! Do keep updating this thread of Life with a Vento.

Regarding Handling, as sharma says, FIAT has that magic of handling the best. Simply unbeatable.
I have heard that Linea is the best. I haven't test driven a Linea till date and looking at the sales figure, I excluded it in this segment for now. My bad though. Hope Fiat gives us a good overall car in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Absolutely fantastic! the seat covers' fit and finish is perfect. It looks great in beige and love the look of the stitches as well.
Congrats on the blue sapphire. As many have already mentioned , she looks fascinating in blue.
I completely agree with you on the HU detail. I would mostly be getting myself a witson to complete the OE look on my vento. Will post details once its done.

The ergonomic and design issues on the interiors ,that you mentioned- are you referring to the left arm rest's position which makes it inconvenient to use the hand brake_?
Yup! will be waiting for your HU update.

The ergonomic issues are the arm rest, driver side viper, rear view and not enough storage in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Congratulations, classic86. The blue sapphire looks smashing! Now put on some killer tints and the superb look will be completed.
Just waiting for the registration to be done. I'm waiting for a fancy number. Once that's one, I want to go for 50% translucent reflective (mirror finish) tints. Hope they look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Congratulations, Fit and finish of Stanley's is top notch, looks great. Can you provide me a little more details on the extended warranty that you took on the car? Price paid, coverage duration, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hey classic, finally we get a chance to congratulate you for the shadow blue Vento! Looks lovely.

Can you please post some details of the extended warranty you got? AFAIK, everyone so far on the forums has got the standard 2 year warranty.

How much is it OTR in Hyd? PM if you don't want to make it public: would like to compare to Pune prices.
The OTR was 11.3. Extended warranty costed Rs. 10,590/-. It covers Engine, transmission and suspension and the duration is 4 years/100,000 kms, whichever is earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
According to my dealer in Bangalore, the extended warranty is for 12.5k. I am not sure of the exact terms, though.
I don't understand why the price changes so much from dealer to dealer. Taxes wouldn't add up to that much of a difference. My warranty costed Rs. 10590/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@classic86,

Congratulations on the blue Vento. The colour truly looks good on the car. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.

Could you post a couple of interior pics of the car please? Can you also mention about the OTR cost and how much did you actually spend on accessorizing the car.
Parking sensors - 4500, floor mats and mudguards - 3300, CD holder on the sunshade - 350, Perfume - 60 (running well since 2 months), and Stanley seats - 30000. One more I would like to update is the HU. My OTR was 11.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations classic86 for your B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L Vento car.

The car is looking stunning in this color. Very well written review, please add some engine bay pics as well.

Drive Safe and keep the thread updated.
Thank you. I will post some more pics soon.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st June 2011 at 02:21. Reason: Please use the multiquote button instead of making these back to back posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks